Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

ponzicar posted:

If you all haven't gotten used to Trump'ss empty bluster by now, you should log off and get therapy. Kim Jong Un is interested in staying in power, not committing suicide, and Trump lacks the spine and attention span needed to actually start a war.

Totally agreed. All of the people who seem to be worried about Trump blowing up the world via North Korea always seem to posit the Koreans as being the aggressors, despite them studiously avoiding major moves for decades. They aren't going to bomb Seoul / Alaska / Japan just because of one of Trump's insane tweets - for all their various bluster, they're still far more sensible and self-aware than that. And Trump is too much of a coward to actually commit his administration to a war - he'll whine and threaten but as usual it'll come to nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

mdemone posted:

Here's another question since I'm feisty tonight: is the draw-a-clock test done in front of the doctor? That is, does the process by which the patient draws the clock matter, or only the final product? For example, I would draw the 12-3-6-9 first, to get the spacing correct -- would that be taken into account by a doctor?

They tell you to draw an analog clock with all the numbers and hour and minute hands pointing to the time "10 past 11" or "20 past 2", etc.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kaal posted:

Totally agreed. All of the people who seem to be worried about Trump blowing up the world via North Korea always seem to posit the Koreans as being the aggressors, despite them studiously avoiding major moves for decades. They aren't going to bomb Seoul / Alaska / Japan just because of one of Trump's insane tweets - for all their various bluster, they're still far more sensible and self-aware than that. And Trump is too much of a coward to actually commit his administration to a war - he'll whine and threaten but as usual it'll come to nothing.

Y'all are probably right but the threat of accidental stupidity is non-trivial

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Soiled Meat

if you work for the government you're dumb as hell. private sector is just way better in every which way.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

ponzicar posted:

Bush 2 lacks the spine and attention span needed to actually start a war.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Trump's extra voracious consumption of Fox News and corresponding tweets probably mean something fairly big is going on with the Mueller investigation and there's likely to be a decent bombshell in the next week or two.

They're keeping him on a steady diet of GOOD BOY (he did such a good job on flight safety!!) news and Fox TV and letting him tweet to keep him from going ballistic and actually nuking NK or firing Mueller.

Our toddler president is being given whatever toy he screams for to calm his tantrum.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Y'all are probably right but the threat of accidental stupidity is non-trivial

It's also unchanging and unknowable. Trump is a pathological liar in addition to being incredibly indecisive, and nothing he says should be taken as indicative of future action or policy. Our risk for sudden acts of insanity is effectively constant while he's in office, regardless of what his administration says.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kaal posted:

It's also constant and unchanging. Trump is a pathological liar in addition to being incredibly indecisive, and nothing he says should be taken as indicative of future action or policy. Our risk for sudden acts of insanity are effectively constant while he's in office, regardless of what his administration says.

I'd argue it's variable within a constant range. The chance is always there, but (for example) each time he says something whacky about North Korea, he increases the chances that some Chinese radar operator is going to get hyped up on twitter fumes and mistake a flight of geese for a first strike.

Those effects are short term and peter out as Trump gets distracted by his next cheeseburger or whatever, but they're real.

I mean, I'd like to be able to pooh pooh the hysteria and effectively there is not a goddam thing any of us can effectively do about any of it until the next elections anyway. So in a practical sense you're right that it's not worth worrying about. But there's a difference between "your fears are irrational" and "your fears are unproductive." I wish I could tell people their fears were irrational; all I can honestly say is that they're unproductive.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Regarding Trump's just announced MOST DISHONEST & CORRUPT MEDIA AWARDS OF THE YEAR: I heard it's gonna be hosted at Comet Pizza with George "Satan Christ" Soros announcing the winners.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Right now the risk of war with North Korea is as real as it's ever been. It's not guaranteed by any means, but a lot of experts are increasingly worried about the possibility and it is likely that China is attempting to prepare for the eventuality.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/12/china-refugee-camps-border-north-korea

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/12/7/16743550/north-korea-tammy-duckworth-interview

Really, it feels like the drums are beating closer and closer to the brink of war, and it's becoming increasingly likely that someone is going to make an irrevocable mistake. We can hope that the system prevents rash decision making, but our government wasn't built with the expectation that someone like Trump would be elected. If he wanted to nuke North Korea in a fit of wanting more of our attention, he'll do it. If he thinks being inflammatory on Twitter will get him attention, he'll do it, and drag the rest of us along with him.

EDIT: Not to say worrying about this is super productive, but it's understandable. Do your best to be a good human to those around you and the society you inhabit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIoBrob3bjI

Priapus Unbound fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 3, 2018

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Likelihood of how Korean War 2 could start, from least to most:

North Korea launching an unprovoked attack
America launching an unprovoked attack
[A big gap]
The constant saber rattling leading to a climate in which one or both sides accept that war is inevitable, causing someone on the ground to make a mistake or misunderstanding that is taken as an act of aggression by the other side and escalates to war

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Pakled posted:

Likelihood of how Korean War 2 could start, from least to most:

North Korea launching an unprovoked attack
America launching an unprovoked attack
[A big gap]
The constant saber rattling leading to a climate in which one or both sides accept that war is inevitable, causing someone on the ground to make a mistake or misunderstanding that is taken as an act of aggression by the other side and escalates to war

Considering how trustworthy, dependable, rational, calm, and cautious Donald Trump is, I would be liable to move the "America launching an unprovoked attack" to just below the [a big gap]

BlueberryCanary fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 3, 2018

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/948405067442302976

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Is there a good precedent where a situation where both sides are clearly engaged in brinksmanship that ever led to actual all-out war? Maybe I'm just having a mind fart, but nothing really comes to mind right now.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/948404303072460800

The President of the United States, whom is too busy to watch television, makes his third tweet today about a TV show.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

I also appreciate that just now, several hours after the original nuclear tweet, Trump retweeted it using the official @POTUS account. Just in case people were confused into thinking it was a unthinking tweet he did on a whim and didn't really mean.

https://twitter.com/potus

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Nuke Button chat is why I've stopped making long term plans and just living on a day-by-day basis: why care about the future when whoops it could all end for me within thirty minutes at any moment anyway?

I've just accepted the new perpetual knife-edge state of affairs as the new normal and adjusted my life accordingly. Life is much easier and happier now, highly recommend it.

It's always been able to end much quicker than that, through car accidents or brain aneurisms. Stop finding ways to ruin your own life.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Aramis posted:

Is there a good precedent where a situation where both sides are clearly engaged in brinksmanship that ever led to actual all-out war? Maybe I'm just having a mind fart, but nothing really comes to mind right now.

Uh... World War I?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Happy new year

https://twitter.com/brianklaas/status/948407778879647745

hope next one is brighter

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

LegendaryFrog posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/948404303072460800

The President of the United States, whom is too busy to watch television, makes his third tweet today about a TV show.

'Who'. The President of the United States was the subject of your sentence, not the object.

/Sorry

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Uh... World War I?

Austria-Hungary made impossible demands to Serbia in order to provoke the start of the war, that's pretty much the polar opposite of brinksmanship.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Thread is really long, and apparently is causing issues with the Awful App. Starting a new one, minus The List.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Aramis posted:

Austria-Hungary made impossible demands to Serbia in order to provoke the start of the war, that's pretty much the polar opposite of brinksmanship.

Which Serbia met and they invaded anyway lol

• Locked thread