Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

my kinda ape posted:

Sappers too!

I want to say they took it off sappers but it's been a while since I played that class. I know they took it off commander and I'm pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009
Can't seem to get into any of the servers, they all say they're full, even with like 30/64 players.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
been in last two beta waves, looking forward to booby trapping american imperialist running dogs

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Party Plane Jones posted:

I want to say they took it off sappers but it's been a while since I played that class. I know they took it off commander and I'm pissed.

Looks like they took it off the scout (was it ever there?) and it's on sapper. Scout and commander get that Map SMG.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
deltah is bidding attacked

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Man this game looks weird. In some places its almost phospohorus white and others, its pretty much pitch black. And whats the deal with the small engagement ranges here? On compound you spawn like just across the objective of each other, leading to some confusing and unfun chaos fights where sheer luck decides if you live or die within 5 seconds....

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 30, 2017

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

GyverMac posted:

Man this game looks weird. In some palces its almost phospohorus white and others, its pretty much pitch black. And whats the deal with the small engagement ranges here? On compound you spawn like just across the objective of each other, leading to some confusing and unfun chaos fights where sheer luck decides if you live or die within 5 seconds....

The back of the box couldn't have said it better.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

GyverMac posted:

Man this game looks weird. In some palces its almost phospohorus white and others, its pretty much pitch black. And whats the deal with the small engagement ranges here? On compound you spawn like just across the objective of each other, leading to some confusing and unfun chaos fights where sheer luck decides if you live or die within 5 seconds....

Nothing like the Vietnam I've read about. It was truly an engagement of two national armies marching at one another in lockstep. Yes sir.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Not quite sure if you are sassing me or what, but all I'm saying is that compound map (I think it was called that) was like call of duty size. Neither team could get past the first objective so I didn't get to see the rest of the map though.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

GyverMac posted:

Not quite sure if you are sassing me or what, but all I'm saying is that compound map (I think it was called that) was like call of duty size. Neither team could get past the first objective so I didn't get to see the rest of the map though.

Compound is one of the 'skirmish' (tdm) maps. I just avoid that game mode completely, its not a strong suit of this series. Territories is the games bread and butter.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
ro2_barracks.....

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

compound is supposed to be for like 16 players iirc

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved
The game ignores alot of my mousebutton 1 and 2 inputs, and feels overal janky. As someone who loves Red Orchestra/Rising Storm, this feels like garbage so far.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Remember how RO2 had an amazing beta and the final launch was terrible?

Remember how KF2 had a lot of promise and potential during beta and the final launch was marred by terrible execution of bad ideas?

They're both absolutely incredible games now. This is just SOP for Tripwire.

That said, I have yet to fire up the release version so maybe it's great already. But a friend of mine already found a reproducible bug that eliminates the visual recoil.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
The biggest problem with the game is that you can only use the nón lá hat after reaching lvl 99.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Man people faking Viet Cong accents gets old fase

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
That and the blatant racism are pretty terrible.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Commoners posted:

That and the blatant racism are pretty terrible.

Racism? Are people yelling "gook" and stuff in chat?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

GyverMac posted:

Racism? Are people yelling "gook" and stuff in chat?

Yup, on top of the usual stuff.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Commoners posted:

Seems to be a really depressing trend in tripwire games about wars.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Commoners posted:

Is it really a genuine historical FPS gaming experience if there aren't a few neo-nazis talking on allchat

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
The second that I saw helicopters in the game I was sold. I know they're working on joystick support, but I cannot believe that it isn't already there. Flying with a mouse and keyboard is so awkward.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
awkward but definitely doable and once you get the hang of it, it's real easy. only thing is not having a third-person or even a freelook to land a heli for repairs.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Does this game have a grain elevator???

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I want to use my TrackIR....

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I have never spent so much time on any game dying from enemies I never even saw and then running back from spawn and I've played plenty of Red Orchestra/Rising Storm before. I am going to refund this on steam.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 31, 2017

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Diogines posted:

I have never spent so much time on any game dying from enemies I never even saw and then running back from spawn and I've played plenty of Red Orchestra/Rising Storm before. I am going to refund this on steam.

Okay. Thanks for stopping by the beautiful country of Vietnam.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Diogines posted:

As always with this series at launch most squad leaders don't understand how the role works and aren't putting down spawn tunnels.

As for dying to people you haven't seen, I don't see how this is any different from past games. It won't ever change either , people don't want kill cams.

Orv
May 4, 2011
RS2 does seem more prone to insta-death spawn cycles than earlier games in the oeuvre. I've had a few times where I just spawn and arty lands before I can take two steps or I spawn and a grenade lands at my feet, etc, and it just keeps happening for three or four lives on a rough defense or trying to make progress on an assault. Granted that's mitigated by spawning somewhere else or just waiting a bit, but running back and doing nothing interesting for a bit is sort of equally unappetizing.

Still a drat fine game though.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

As always with this series at launch most squad leaders don't understand how the role works and aren't putting down spawn tunnels.

To be fair, spawn tunnels are new and, at least on Hill 937, there are few locations to place them safely (and legally!!!!) for the first two sets of objectives.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Had two great moments playing yesterday. The first was hearing some guy screaming on voice chat about his helicopter losing the tail and autorotating, then looking up and watching him spin across the map until he crashed. The second was playing as a PAVN RPG and downing a Huey with a reflex shot.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
Real cool thing:

The battle of Hue was among the fiercest during the war, lasting something like three days. Most of that time was spent trying to cross the bridge into the Citadel. Most documentaries will refer to the bridge as a meat grinder.

The Hue City map on Territories, naturally, features a segment where the Americans must get across the bridge and up on the Citadel walls to progress. The holes in the walls all line up pretty accurately with footage you can find of the actual battle. They added some structures to the sides of the bridge opening for balance sake, and there are flanks for the Americans to attack besides the bridge, which keeps it from being quite the meat grinder it was.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The helicopters are really fun in this game but I feel like the Loach needs a damage boost. I was circling around a guy in rice paddy who was firing his AK at me. I visibly hit him with the Loach and he didn't die. I end up going down but my pilot survives I popped out with my pistol and as he came over to finish me off I killed him.

I feel like if you hit a guy with the Loach gun they just should instantly die, but either way this game is a ton of fun and the explosion effects are great.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Pesticide20 posted:

Had two great moments playing yesterday. The first was hearing some guy screaming on voice chat about his helicopter losing the tail and autorotating, then looking up and watching him spin across the map until he crashed. The second was playing as a PAVN RPG and downing a Huey with a reflex shot.

That was probably me screaming. There was a good one where I was copilot and all I could muster was "poo poo PUT US DOWN IN THE RICE PATTY" and the pilot just fired off all of his missiles and guns and hit and killed the VC commander, radioman, and sniper team. Felt pretty cool.

Some of the maps feel very not fun as the Americans though, and a blast as VC, but I guess art imitates life.

Also idiot commanders are killing me. I'm trying to be a good radioman but god dammit move up from spawn so we can mark some targets.

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 31, 2017

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Only thing I don't like is removing smoke grenades from squad leaders

That and nobody on VC seems to throw down traps

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
The issues people have as attackers can mostly be mitigated with the use of smoke grenades, which a lot of people don't actually use unless you yell at them to.

Traps are so god drat fun, just find the busiest point and put the mines and punji traps everywhere. Sappers are the best for that, plop down 5 and go do other things until all 5 blow up, repeat. Having a good radioman stick with you as commander is also so drat cool :neckbeard:

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Hot Diggity! posted:

That and nobody on VC seems to throw down traps

I think this will come as people learn the maps and certain terrain features that attract players.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

automaticswim posted:

The issues people have as attackers can mostly be mitigated with the use of smoke grenades, which a lot of people don't actually use unless you yell at them to.

Traps are so god drat fun, just find the busiest point and put the mines and punji traps everywhere. Sappers are the best for that, plop down 5 and go do other things until all 5 blow up, repeat. Having a good radioman stick with you as commander is also so drat cool :neckbeard:

This, any point that has many thin pathways in it, just set a tripwire, punji, or mine on.

Also, single fire your SMG's, seriously. Most people like the PPSh because it also works when you just spray the poo poo out of it, but then don't like the Grease Gun or Mat-49. Try single firing all of them, you'll be surprised at how good they are at ranges you aren't expecting them to be decent at.

Also this:

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Traps and mines are the funnest thing in the game, I got 4 dudes with one toe popper mine when (I assume) a bunch of guys spawned on their squad lead and triggered it in the sewer junction on hue.

I only wish there was more variety with the booby traps, I suppose the freely rotating spike trap door pit lined with poo poo smeared spikes will be DLC :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Do you get a warning for an incoming SAM? Twice i was killed in the Loach from a commanders SAM but I didn't hear any warning or see any way to pop flares/chaff.

• Locked thread