Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Glenn Quebec posted:

Oh man I'm def shouting di di mau next time I play. Good stuff.

You're welcome :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

Is it worthwhile to use small arms against helicopters?

The attack helicopters are pretty debatable, but you should have your RPG guys and HMG emplacements focusing on them whenever possible anyway. As for the littlebirds and transports, always shoot at them. They're like kill pinatas, basically. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL81lICOkyc

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hexenritter posted:

Just got this game and I'm looking forward to di di mauing behind the yankee pig lines and getting beaucoup kills :getin:

I just hide in the bathroom with a shotgun pretending to poo poo as VC until the point gets over-run and then creep out and shoot people in the back. I get so many kills on cu chi city with this tactic it's not even fair. Sometimes you have to kill one or two people randomly walking in but nobody ever thinks to mount a massive offensive on the bathroom.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Dvsilverwing posted:

I use shotguns on both teams a lot (probably 80%+ of my kills are from Pointman and Scout), and the American shotguns don't have the same range, but for some weird reason I seem to get longer distance OHK's with the Stakeout than I do the Trench Gun. The way the Duckbill's spread is means I only take it when I know I'm going to be in a place like trying to cap A or B early on Hue, or in the trenches of C/D/E on Hill 937. But for some reason, whether I'm using 00 or #4 I find myself getting longer range OHK's with the Stakeout than the Trench Gun when using the same ammo types. I can easily get a 40m OHK with 00 on the Stakeout, while with the Trench Gun I'm excited to get a 35m OHK with 00. The only real benefit I see to the Trench Gun now is the bayonet, personally. Just learn where to aim when using the Stakeout's ADS style (this will also help you get used to the collapsed/folded ADS style of the SMG's) and you'll find yourself doing a lot better with Pointman, whether you're using the shotgun or SMG.

Is there any reason to take #4? I assume it's more pellets for less damage each, and it feels like I have way more success with 00. It could just also be because I'm an awful shot :v:

I'm also wondering if C4 has any special role besides just as an explosive you can plant somewhere and trigger later.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

UnknownMercenary posted:

Is there any reason to take #4? I assume it's more pellets for less damage each, and it feels like I have way more success with 00. It could just also be because I'm an awful shot :v:

I'm also wondering if C4 has any special role besides just as an explosive you can plant somewhere and trigger later.

I've been throwing a lot of C4 and have blown up nothing but Charlie. That said, the gibbing effect it has on Charlie is top notch.

I almost threw up in my mouth when I put a stick around a corner in a tunnel and touched it off only to see 3 BBQ Charlie slap into the wall on my left and leave blood spatter everywhere.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you aren't listening to music while playing this and getting high off heroin/hash and drinking tons of beer you're playing wrong.

Here's a playlist for you: https://open.spotify.com/user/enemylol/playlist/6rtZxtbmFn3FXK9j8Clc3E

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

UnknownMercenary posted:

I take #4 when I know it's going to be close range, but further range than I would want to shoot the duckbill at (or enemies behind cover/in windows and I want a standard shotgun spread to hit heads) and that's about it.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Camping next to a friendly ammo box with the m79 and setting the offset to shoot beyond light of sight at an enemy held objective I got a 276 yd grenade kill, woo.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I loved RO1 but really disliked RO2/RS. Wasn't expecting to like this game but holy poo poo it's grabbed me. I can't figure out why but it just has a draw that RS didn't.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Slugs rule!

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

causticBeet posted:

I loved RO1 but really disliked RO2/RS. Wasn't expecting to like this game but holy poo poo it's grabbed me. I can't figure out why but it just has a draw that RS didn't.

RS2 has good maps and assymetry that's interesting and fun. RS1 had neither of these. RO2 was just a stinker. I'm the same in that I absolutely loved RO1 then RO2 was a disappoint and RS1 was more of the same and now RS2 has been a blast.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

GyverMac posted:

Had a weird bug just now. I was going to customize my character during a round, and the menus disappeared and i was stuck in a free roaming camera mode for the rest of the round. When the round ended, my game crashed. Luckily the round was almost over by the time this happened.

Same thing happened to me. I guess it has to do with being in the character customization screen while the round ends.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
One time as a chopper pilot I crashed and got the YOU DIED black screen, but it never went away. I managed to find myself into the transport chopper and flew my troopers into a cliff while yelling "I CAN"T SEE poo poo SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE THE LZ IS"

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

So far all I've been able to do has been juke around on the helo practice map while singing Fortunate Son because I've been busy most of the day, give me anecdotes so I can live vicariously through you until I get to play properly.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I'm pretty confident in my piloting skills so I decided to show off in An Lao Valley and fly under the bridge like I've done a dozen times before, except I was going too fast and even with my collective lowered I didn't descend. With a Huey full of people who made the mistake of trusting me, I slammed into the bridge and killed everyone.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Tab8715 posted:

Can the spooky be shot down by a Dshk?

it can, set the sights for about 500m and keep shooting, I've seen it go down a few times to dshk gunners given enough bullets, it's usually where I start calling hax after seeing them previously take out all the choppers and the recon plane pretty much immediately

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Just chiming in to say that the flamethrower fuckin owns. Send a gout of flame into some tunnels, down trenches or in a doorway/window, wait for screams, collect kills.

That and when you sneak up on a guy and give em the tiniest little poof of flame in the rear end.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

One of the most powerful helicopter uses on An Lao Valley that I've seen is just smashing it into the jungle behind point A with a few squad leaders. Once you dig into A it is super difficult to root out the squad leaders before they just dump even more soldiers from the void of space into the area you just cleared, and by the time you clear them out another chopper is smashing into the trees with a fresh load to reinforce them.

Yardbomb posted:

Just chiming in to say that the flamethrower fuckin owns. Send a gout of flame into some tunnels, down trenches or in a doorway/window, wait for screams, collect kills.

On the rubber farm map on point E, the rocket site, try getting a flamethrower into the ammo room. It has a few windows and doorways you can shoot out of and contest about 60% of the point, and because you have an ammo box you can just hold down fire and constantly shoot flames everywhere. You'll shoot so much fire that your audio will break. Just start screaming like you're lit on fire so your teammates know that a fire demon has been unleashed on point E and they should hold back.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jun 6, 2017

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Yardbomb posted:

That and when you sneak up on a guy and give em the tiniest little poof of flame in the rear end.

It can fire really loving far too. You can be standing in the water in front of the factory that's the last point on Cu Chi and kill people shooting from the second story windows.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

my kinda ape posted:

It can fire really loving far too.

This is absolutely what makes it so fun too, so many games make flamethrowers a piddly little squirt gun for all of it's effective range, while on here you can get some solidly 'mid-range' kills with that thing. Like as long as they're not a mile away, you might as well send a blast at any VC you run into, chances are pretty good you're gonna roast them.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Much like Huey pilots, it seems that other people with flamethrowers tend to kill more teammates than enemies.

Orv
May 4, 2011
My favorite part is the flamethrower team kills where you walk into your allies view, you know they saw you look at them and not shoot their dumb rear end, and then the spin up finishes and you roast.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I kept shouting to leave the hut and Di di mau, I know you VC. Then someone hit the hut with the flamethrower.

I love this game.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
I had a recon plane fall on me that the VC shot down with anti-air. I thought I was safe on the ground. I THOUGHT I WAS SAFE. :(

The best game.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I'm now 100% sold on the SKS, the bullets go where I shoot them and I have no problem at mid to long range. Up close it's just as effective as the AK.

For Americans the M16 seems like a super solid rifle and I don't feel the need to use the M14.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Yeah the M16 is practically a laser enough as it is, that I've never really felt the need to tool around with the M14 and when I did I just kind of wished I had my M16 back instead.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Picked this up based on the posts in this thread. I'm super excited to get murdered in the jungle constantly by people I can't see. Did anyone ever come up with a Discord server for this or are all the goons running mumble?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Most of us have been using the mumble linked in the first post.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its good OP

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Symetrique posted:

Most of us have been using the mumble linked in the first post.

cool deal, I'll have to make sure to hop on when I'm playing.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
Did the devs add any more maps from the beta? Are there more accessories and modifications?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

Did the devs add any more maps from the beta? Are there more accessories and modifications?

nope

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Today, I liberated a brutal capitalist weapon and sent many GIs back to their homes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpUesC7RTlc

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
christ, us in territories just finds a closet on point and hides.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

you can shoot through closets

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Yeah if you're on a point and there is a section of it that doesn't have your team and they're capping, just start spraying down the wall that goes into that part. You're extremely likely to net a pile of kills from dudes wiggling around in crouch who don't expect for bullets to come through the walls.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
if you fly like i fly you'll know the pain of constantly having tail rotors shot out. it's fairly easy to fly back to base or an LZ. just full collective until about ~50-55 meters, then drop the collective. it'll stabilize and you'll be able to control it just enough holding yaw and pitch down to get to where you need to, while remaining under 75m. sliding on skids into an lz between two enemy controlled points and dropping a full hot load of gi into some vc territory is the best feeling.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah the M16 is practically a laser enough as it is, that I've never really felt the need to tool around with the M14 and when I did I just kind of wished I had my M16 back instead.

I think the front post of the m14 sight is too large vs the m16. You can have a better sight picture on targets farther away with the m16 vs the m14, which is the opposite of what you should be doing with the rifle. I can hit runners traversing across hill 943 all day with the m16, but its just way harder with the m14.
The m16 feels handier and more forgiving.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Knobb Manwich posted:

you can shoot through closets

Yeah bullet penetration is a thing and I love it! I dont remember wich point it is on HUE, but its one of the first points. The one to the left if you spawn as a VC. It got an office building in the first floor, with wooden partitions for the cubicles. The yanks were capping, and i climb in the back window with my RPD, quickly hit prone and just let loose through the cubicles in ankle height, killing three enemies in one go. I do believe the 7.62 caliber weapons can also penetrate the walls of brick/concrete buildings if you are close and the walls are not too thick. I swear I have gotten a few kills just by spraying with my AK inside buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I think the bullet pen is much greater on m14 but I'm yanking that out of my own rear end in a top hat and is based off of nothing

• Locked thread