Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Thank you for this I’ll check it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
It's Irresistible Attraction time again, so I dusted off my old NG deck and made a couple tweaks:

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/guides/229442

Still works quite well, though I haven't had a true mirror match yet.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
And now back to...Dual Casting? Seems a bit early for that, but welp. Anyway, the same ol' oppressive ST deck still works fine:

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/guides/176620

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
No franchy findthebear????

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

the_american_dream posted:

No franchy findthebear????

I considered her and some of the other new cards, but I don't think they provide enough reliable value in this mode. Francesca gets nuked by pretty much any double bronze removal, and she only provides one extra copy of a spell, which isn't all that useful in this mode. Also restricts your play order a bit, as otherwise she might end up just copying a bronze spell or even bricking (copying a damage spell with no targets, Council or Onieromancy when you've already hit maximum thinning, etc.). Not really worth the ten provisions, I don't think; Triss and Protector are much more reliable value for provisions. At best she's probably reliably a 15-point play if you manage to dupe Shaping, but could be much less. Triss and Protector are a fairly reliable 14-15 points and/or removal, double Heatwave is usually at least that much plus two unconditional removals, and double Justice is a minimum of 17 points on an empty board plus some thinning (or 19 if your Miner survives, or 22-24 with a seed Miner on the board already...).

Also thought about Sorceress, but she suffers from consistency issues as well; you'd play no special cards on the turn you play her, and to get maximum value out of her you'd have to play no specials the turn you activate her either, and that's quite rare with this deck (unless you ended up with a really shite hand). If you drop her on the board with any other units present, she'll be instantly removed anyway (and even alone, she might get Circled or something regardless).

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
My new favourite thing with this deck is getting last say in mirror matches and then playing Oniero to both Heatwave their Gord and drop my own on the last turn for a nice little ~50-point swing...

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
It’d be overswarm in season but that new 3 point engine is pretty solid in ST decks

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
It's mini-Arena-mode time again! Not much point in a specific decklist for this seasonal of course, but some things to consider:

- Your cards transform *before* your first play, so you cannot count on being able to play anything in your deck from hand, *unless* you run NR and Pincer Maneuver. You can't count on any particular complex synergies in the long term, but you can use Pincer twice to play two guaranteed NR cards from your deck on subsequent turns, so there might be some possibilities there... Just remember that if you do put together some clever combo, you can't end up with any components in your hand during the mulligan or they will go poof; use caution accordingly.

- Roach and Knickers are definitely auto-includes; there's no downside to running 'em, as even if they do end up in hand, you only lose out those few extra points that you wouldn't have otherwise had anyway.

- Don't include any duplicates in your deck, so you can use Shupe and get full value from Radeyah if you roll either.

- Don't put anything over 9 provisions in your deck unless you're going for some particular Pincer Maneuver combo that requires it; that way you can use Ciri: Nova to good effect if you roll her.

- Rowstack to 15+ points ASAP in case you roll She Who Knows near the end of the round.

- Scatter some cards in your deck to avoid potential tutor bricks. Throw in a couple cheap artifacts, a couple Organics, a couple Alchemies, a couple Witchers, a couple of your own faction's special type, etc.. Never know when it might save your arse if you get stuck with an Ermion while a few points behind. If you're not using NR, Commander's Horn will give you a Warfare card; might be shite value under many circumstances, but it could be better than nothing in a pinch.

- If you have any potentially powerful ST or <10-provision NR cards during your mulligan phase in a later round, mulligan them away if you can do so safely; you might roll a faction tutor and be able to pull 'em out again later.

- Put some good value cards in your deck (like Ciri: Nova herself); if you roll an Onieromancy, you can play one.

- If you run NG, run Affan as well as one copy of that new mage that summons itself and zaps random shite when moved to the top of the deck; they're good targets for Albrich or Fisher King if you get one. Affan can also combine with the Imperial Formation leader ability for a decent amount of leader value; just be careful not to end up with him in hand in any round or he'll be gone forever (unless you roll one again right before a mulligan phase...).

- Also with NG, throw in an Emissary in case you roll Braathens.

- Throw in a decent bronze special of some sort in case you roll Triss: Telekinesis. (Lacerate's not bad, as it also doubles as an Organic...)

- Consider adding a couple 4p engines, in case you roll a Portal. Just remember to make a mental note if you accidentally end up with 'em in hand instead, so you don't forget and play a bricked Portal later...

- Remember that all cards eventually become Ball (which is a 5p bronze itself if you can't proc it, and is slightly more difficult to proc now that the spying Aristocrats won't do it) and then cycle back around to 4p. Try not to go into a long round with nothing but a bunch of 12+-provision cards, or you might get stuck with nothing but unproccable Scenarios and lovely bronzes for a few turns.

- Most importantly, never give up! There's no telling what you or your opponent might roll on any given turn (unless your only cards are 14p, then it's Ball...). Even if things look hopeless, every turn is a new opportunity to whip out the perfect ridiculous combo and/or laugh as your opponent plays a bricked faction tutor for zero points...

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Thanks for the guide

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Back to the Banished Seasonal this week, which I think might be my favourite. Games are quick since there are no cards drawn, and it's a very different strategy than normal Gwent.

This deck still works just fine:

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/guides/205900

though thanks to the changes in today's patch, there are some swaps you can make in the 4-5p cards to squeeze out a bit more power. Elder Bear is now a 6 for 4p, as is Swallow, so swap a couple of your really trash 4p cards for those two. You can also swap a 4p for a 5p due to some of the other provision changes, or use that extra provision to make another substitution elsewhere.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Sunset wanderers is really strong if you have the ore to try for it. Took me about 200 or so kegs to get it

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Oh drat I got that today as a reward for finishing one of the WitcherCon quests and didn't even look to see what it does, just went right into the next match to try to grind out my 5 Monster wins daily.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Guzwar posted:

Oh drat I got that today as a reward for finishing one of the WitcherCon quests and didn't even look to see what it does, just went right into the next match to try to grind out my 5 Monster wins daily.

Basically acts like a bigger and somewhat less random Knickers. It walks across your hand from left to right, gaining one power each time it moves, and then pops out by itself when it hits the right side of your hand (and you draw a new card to replace it). Your opponent can see it moving in your hand, though, so it is sometimes possible for them to exert some control over when it will appear if they have round control.

It will also be in every deck in the new weekly Seasonal starting today, since it'll start off at 11 points and grow from there. In the end it's just going to be Geralt bait, of course, but since it doesn't cost you a turn to play, it's still a net positive for you.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea that card is way too strong and auto includey. Fun though.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Wanderer definitely feels like it needs a nerf. The mechanic is cool, and as an NR main I enjoy how well it combos with Istredd and Pincer Maneuver, but it restructures the game too much imo. I'm not sure I like the way it suddenly makes the order of cards in your hand such a significant consideration. The first few turns of R1 are usually not very flexible, and now you get points based on whether your desired openers are on the left or right side of your hand, something that's pure RNG.

Personally I'd just dump the additional card draw. Then it's a good card for decks that have hand manipulation, but not an auto-include for everyone.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Guildencrantz posted:

Personally I'd just dump the additional card draw. Then it's a good card for decks that have hand manipulation, but not an auto-include for everyone.

It's not an additional card draw; the drawn card replaces Wanderers because it's summoned from your hand, not played. Without that effect, Wanderers would be -1 card advantage and would therefore be detrimental. If anything, I'd lose the boost-when-moving effect and just give it a static power; maybe something a little bigger than Roach/Knickers.

Edit: Unless you mean remove the auto-summon ability entirely and just keep the boost effect when it moves, in which case it'd still be pretty bad; might as well run Speartip or Living Armor or whatever big body your faction has instead for better consistency and less awkward play order.

dennyk fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 15, 2021

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Eh, you're probably right. Idk how to fix it, but it definitely needs a nerf.

On a completely unrelated note: so Scoia'Tael are still pretty weak right now, and as much as I like my symbiosis deck, it does just "okay" against most opponents... But boy howdy does it feel good to be a hard counter to lock-based Nilfgaard. It's such a frustrating archetype to play against, especially with my usual NR, it's strong and super popular right now, and Nature ST just stomps it. So cathartic.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

New cards means it's time for me to make new decks that will be terrible, and after a dozen games I'll refine them to merely mediocre, and then after another dozen games I'll find a strictly superior version online that a streamer made in 5 seconds.

Here's my as yet untested relict deck: https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/51bd04e5e0ba5b1dac1ec8c7284889ae

Edit: Just checked the internet. Gerni with Idarran and Caranthir seems very good and healthy.

Guildencrantz posted:

Eh, you're probably right. Idk how to fix it, but it definitely needs a nerf.

What if they just took away the playing itself and drawing a replacement part, and once it was at the far right position it just stayed there until you played it or drew more more cards so it started moving again?

You'd still have all the tactical stuff people like, with drawing / discarding to pump it up, but it wouldn't be thinning and a free point slam.

Provisions could be lowered accordingly.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 3, 2021

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Ok day 1 overreaction maybe but HOLY poo poo IS GERNI BROKEN

MM skellige all over again

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

It's completely insane. I'm on a rampage with it so far in the lower teen rankings.

edit: Looks like frost can counter well.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 4, 2021

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Syndicate: “lol”

I need to stop reacting so fast. Still tier 1 but I haven’t lost to MO with bounty yet. Taking longer to get to pro this month though

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8h9yGwx92E&hd=1

Entering round 2 down 5 cards? Just push and dominate so much your opponent concedes.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Hahaha, it's literally the gold-immunity beta Fringilla gambit, right down to the invulnerable LethoErland finisher in R2. :hawaaaafap:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

And it’s dead with the latest update.

quote:

Caranthir Ar-Feiniel: Can now only copy Monster units with a provision cost of 10 or less.
Bloody Mistress: Provision cost changed from 10 to 11.
Mammuna: Provision cost changed from 10 to 11.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

With Caranthir being unable to copy her, I don't think the previous "keeps power on transform" nerf to Bloody Mistress is needed anymore.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Anyone know where this natures gift version of spell ST is?

That deck is really kicking my rear end and I need to understand what’s being played

Not on any meta report I’ve seen and I don’t navigate Reddit super well

More than likely just a bad matchup since I only play with this one NG deck for fun on this dying game

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/81267aaa1d196ff40a70dea9d8f90e0a

Someone else give it a shot. I’m leaning bad matchup though. Granted I literally have only played one deck for almost two months but I didn’t manage to win with this one. Also devotion is a trap

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/81267aaa1d196ff40a70dea9d8f90e0a

Someone else give it a shot. I’m leaning bad matchup though. Granted I literally have only played one deck for almost two months but I didn’t manage to win with this one. Also devotion is a trap

Someone tried to play that in the Double Down seasonal, which was hilarious when they pulled like four Orbs with Simlas, except that they did it in R1 and they played so many Orbs that they all got triggered on the very same turn and went poof afterwards, leaving them with no carryover, so I just passed and crushed 'em in the next two rounds...

Speaking of Seasonal, I've somehow managed to break the most random Seasonal mode with this Phat Erland deck. 12 for 12 with it so far, though I have had a couple close calls where I lost Erland (once to a Tibor highroll and once to my own idiocy when I took a mulligan I shouldn't have). It's extremely difficult to beat, though I've not faced any mirrors yet. It's also hilarious when you roll a second Erland in an earlier round, though the one time I managed that my arsehole opponent forfeited before I could activate my Super Phat Erland... :argh:

Edit: OK, seems this deck does have one Achilles heel; it can't quite beat five copies of She Who Knows...

dennyk fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 16, 2021

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Anyone know where this natures gift version of spell ST is?

That deck is really kicking my rear end and I need to understand what’s being played

Not on any meta report I’ve seen and I don’t navigate Reddit super well

More than likely just a bad matchup since I only play with this one NG deck for fun on this dying game

It's a really bad matchup. I have a deck in this vein and while generally not a meta deck, it reliably stomps the poo poo out of most NG decks, there's little you can do. NG typically relies on either locking, poison or milling to deal.with engines, and the Nature's Gift deck has a ton of veil, purify and tutoring.

Generally the main counterplay against this flavor of ST is to make sure it doesn't get to go last and keep some removal in your hand to take down the enormous Gord that's the go-to finisher. That's easier said than done with this super unfavorable matchup though. You probably have to resign yourself to losing against it most of the time and be comforted by the fact that it is, in turn, being kicked around hard by most other factions.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Holy gently caress am I bored with Alzur+Gord decks. It's not that they're OP or anything, they are just the least interesting thing ever to play against.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

rydiafan posted:

Holy gently caress am I bored with Alzur+Gord decks. It's not that they're OP or anything, they are just the least interesting thing ever to play against.

Yea same. Every one plays the exact same way and you even know if they missed cards or are new to the deck all in the first round. Extremely boring deck to play

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Actually ST is good :chaostrump:

(I’m lovin handbuff st. Torque is more OP than the pre nerfed gord was)

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
what skellige is overtuned again im shocked :|

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
So is it worth spending money in this game? I picked it up and everything is still super confusing, but I'm enjoying myself. If I wanted to, is the season pass adequate?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

There's a starter set for like $10 that's a great deal, and after that this is one of the most generous free games in existence.

nabo
Oct 23, 2010
Summoning this thread from the graveyard to a random row to tell everyone that Draft mode is finally out! with rewards!! and an entry fee!!! and it's actually pretty fun.

It's 3 keys or 150 gold to enter, but the entry fee:reward ratio is pretty generous, i think if you can get 1 or 2 wins (out of 7 games) it's strictly better than spending the
keys/gold elsewhere. You are also not stuck (for better or worse) with your starting draft, you *have* to add and remove packs throughout the run.

Not sure that the packs are super balanced yet, but i'm having fun so far. Had a ridiculous Nature's Gift deck with SImlas + 5 circles of life + bunch of nature specials that felt busted.

Gwent feels... fun!?

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007
Today I came back to Gwent after a 6 month or so hiatus and all my decks are like one or two provisions off. And some cards seemed to do entirely different things.

No matter I will update and continue to grind with my old homebrews in the dregs of rank 17

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Any good switcheroo decks? This may be my least favorite seasonal but need to win a few rounds for the reward book

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

The previous journeys are coming back permanently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Finally I can get all that horseshit Ciri stuff you had to get to level 190,417 to unlock.