Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Elven scout having relevant tribal synergy is the one that really annoys me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber

No Wave posted:

I thought the mmr system was cool because I got so much free stuff for winning 40% of my games, but I'm not so sure now. If you're able to climb with a 20% win rate, doesn't that mean that some players will get stuck at a rank where they're only winning 20% of the time? And won't that be miserable for them? It seems like there will be a huge number of people stuck at 3900. Hearthstone has win streaks until rank 5, which has a kind of similar effect, but you'll still have a 45% or so winrate at the rank you get stuck at pre-5.

Imo the system is better in gwent. You don't get punished as hard if your win streak is broken, you lose a bit and can go back to gaining a bunch of mmr immediately. That win bonus though starts disappearing towards 3900 or so (don't quote me on this number) and at that point you have to have over 50% winrate to keep climbing which is the same as hearthstone past rank 5.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

Minrad posted:

well, my verdict on the latest balance pass: it's dogshit, create is still garbage, and the upcoming arena/draft mode looks totally uninspired. at least thronebreaker might exist some day, in the mean time slay the spire is fufilling all my card game needs until mtg:arena or artifact reveal if they will be worth playing or not.

How's it dogshit? Create isn't supposed to be competitive. Arena mode is fine. You guys are getting riled up for no loving reason

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Create is extremely, extremely viable.

Meta:
Elven scout
Winch
Nilfgaard runestone
Isengrim Outlaw

Playable/viable:
Vreemde
Aguara
Hym
Doppler
Black blood

Leaders:
Usurper

He meant it was a dogshit mechanic, not that the power level is dogshit - the power level in general is high and borderline undervalued when they synergize with other cards, that's half of the create cards in the game.

Lots of decks like vipers, henselt in general, and elves can't realistically run decks without create cards. This is not something designed for a new game mode, and most of these will be overpowered in draft.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 14, 2018

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I know the latest overpowered deck is Elf Spam, but, even though it is not competetive, Henselt + Winch was a mistake, especially with Neneke. Maybe he will get limited to 'play 2 copies of a bronze' instead.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

So maybe NR is doable?

https://youtu.be/6bgnkncLk6A

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

well that was a rollercoaster ride.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Here's a good skellige deck:

It's good because it plays like NR.

The idea is to have a normal game until round 3 when you olaf + yoana for 34 points (36 if you have a longship out). This deck thins extremely aggressively, the recon should probably be another light longship tbh but you really want that olaf yoana. You have a few nasty surprises to steal round 1 or go up a card there - 20 point crach into harpooner once you play pirates and morkvarg, and Hym -> Skjall -> Udalryk 5 point spy.

If Skellige had other good golds I wouldn't run gigni, but they don't. I'd seriously give Uma's curse a try if I had it. Everyone plays coral but she hasnt done that much for me.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 17, 2018

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

Played against someone who had the title of Xbox Live Player. Crossplay confirmed? Eat your heart out you console playing, non gwent-up using plebs

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

No Wave posted:

Everyone plays coral but she hasnt done that much for me.

She's Dudu + lock + 3 str

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Coral doesn't target golds. If she did I'd absolutely run her. I'll probably start using her again if muźzle lets me down but muzzle's been pretty nice.

Muzzle also makes people tilt and concede at ranks where mmr losses are low.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 17, 2018

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I feel like when I have coral played against me, it is usually targets point generating card like a behemoth or mangonel or revenant, in which case muzzle would also work and be slightly more value.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

A Muzzled unit can be re-Muzzled, but a Jade Figurine is always a blank card.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I've not been muzzled too often, but that is a good point too. The cards are similar enough that I'm sure there isn't a huge difference between them, and you may get the occasional big win from coral against something with big buffs on it like an Impera Enforcer. The real dealbreaker for me: I'm out of scraps and only have muzzle :v:

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
morenn is worthless

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

Up Circle posted:

morenn is worthless

Morenn exists now to make people play a tutor and then get their poo poo stolen by Malena or whoever the 7 str spy that steals is.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

The funniest use of muzzle is when running sk light longships against dwarfs and stealing the dwarf that is boosted when damaged to put next to your longship

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

Or use Muzzle, Coral and Jade Fig to remove each Nekker / Revenant from existence as they hit the board :D

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

lol I just won a match because my opponent didn't realize that the Lord of Unvik gets picked up by summoning circle.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
what's going on with the servers lately? i haven't had this much connection issues and not finding games ever, and i've played since closed beta

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

Simone Poodoin posted:

lol I just won a match because my opponent didn't realize that the Lord of Unvik gets picked up by summoning circle.

It also picks up Jade Figurine!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
they're adding a bunch of weirdly conditional gold cards that win the game if they go off and lose the game if they're dead in hand. sounds like the exact sort of thing we needed to add to our Intensely High Skill Card Game and definitely not the sort of poo poo design that made me quit hearthstone for... this game. weird how that works, huh?

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
The design of the new Roche card is extremely bad. It simply existing will probably make ambush cards unplayable even if no one is actually going to put it in their decks.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The Dandelion Poet card (6 str gold, draw a card and play a card) seems crazily good at least.

The devs had to add variance to the game in some way, every meta got stale too fast, I wish they'd done it by increasing deck size though instead of making more RNG and more conditional cards.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

hell yeah new cards reveale- oh........

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Somehow I feel like 'it is for arena' doesn't quite cut it, here... I don't think create was a problem but some of these cards definitely are, if only for the poor timing of when this happened. Feels like it would have been a better fit to drop these when arena actually came out so you can 'see them in action', so to speak.

At least Imlerith and Dandelion and maybe Cerys seem good.

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 22, 2018

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
Most of the new cards are too horrible to even see play in arena.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Here's a little trick I found while attempting to piece together a bloodmoon deck. If you use a bridge troll to move fog, it will summon up a second foglet from your deck. Whether I can use this concept in an effective way or not remains to be seen. I guess you could use a nekker warrior on a foglet so your 3 bridge trolls become str 14s.

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 22, 2018

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

Captainicus posted:

Here's a little trick I found while attempting to piece together a bloodmoon deck. If you use a bridge troll to move fog, it will summon up a second foglet from your deck. Whether I can use this concept in an effective way or not remains to be seen. I guess you could use a nekker warrior on a foglet so your 3 bridge trolls become str 14s.

Pro tip: Don't use Bridge Trolls with Rag Na Rog or Heatwave!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Just had the weirdest win ever. I'm playing Alchemy Nilfgaard and my last two cards are the Dazhbog Runestone and Mandrake. The other player plops down Villentrentenmerth while I use the runestone and get a 9 point silver that had no effect on the board. The other player then plays a Dun Banner cavalry and I just go "whatever" and use the Mandrake to boost the Dun Banner to 10, guaranteeing that Villen will kill him instead of my silver.
Guy plays Scorch, kills both Villen and the Dun Banner.

Villen was on "2". I had no cards on hand. I won.

:psyduck:

I'm just amazed how often people don't realize that they don't have to play every single card on their hand.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Another silly mistake I've seen other players make is decoy the giant summoned by hjalmar. Ah, yes, spend a card to take away 5 of your own points and give the enemy 8 points instead. Hjalmar value denied! :downs: Definitely agree that most people don't realize playing a card is optional.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And this was at Rank 19, there's just no excuse for that.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
Made it to GM with my lovely skellige Crach Greatsword/Harald Houndsnout deck. I call it: "Bones on a boat"

Golds:
Renew (MVP)
Wild Boar
Coral
Hym

Silver:
Harald Houndsnout
Restore
Djenge
Skjall
Sigdrifa
CA Spy - Udalryk

Bronzes:
3x An Craite greatsword
3x priestess of Freya
3x Dimun light longship
2x Dimun Pirate captain
2x Dimun corsair
1x Heymaey Spearmaiden
1x Reconnaissance

I messed around with the bronze composition foreeeeeever, but I am pretty happy with this. I had 3x pirate captains and no spearmaidens or no reconnaissance, but settled on this after lots of fiddling. You gotta be careful when mulliganing because Skjall only can tutor for Udalryk and Harald Houndsnout. It's great getting Hym + Skjall in hand R1 because you can use Hym to grab Harald R1 and still have Skjall to ensure you can get Udalryk R2.

Harald also fixes the big problem with Greatsword decks because it enables a big tempo swing (with Djenge) or a small one (with Longships or Wild Boar killing off Wilfred and Wilhelm). Crach into Djenge onto Harald is a 2-round 41-point (plus damage to their row) swing (5+2+10+4+6+3+11)!

Anyhow, 1st time getting to GM, so I'm pretty happy.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

Thinking about how Sigrdrifa can no longer rez Gremist, so she's literally a 2 points better Priestess of Freya or at best a second Skjall +3 points is infuriating. Like, what in the gently caress were they thinking?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
She can rez a few things freya can't, but with that freya nerf in general Skellige is so broken and lacking in synergies between a lot of archetypes now it's embarassing. Like any time I try to build a new deck I stare at 18 or 21 bronze cards, throw my hands up in the air, and go back to not playing.

There's a reason most every deck is trying to run ciri nova if it isn't bears or greatswords.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

That isn't necessarily so, she can rez silvers (which makes a big difference, especially in cases like djenge since he strengthen, or that silver axeman guy) and also rez supports and machines. I didn't think it was that bad, it just happens that skellige decks aren't making a huge use of that kind of thing, and are still relying on skjall + bears, or just using her as a wildcard rez in greatswords.

I definitely agree there is a large gulf between competitive tier bronzes like greatswords, bearspam, nekkers, all of the elf nonsense in scoiatel and the rest of the ones that no-one is playing. If you're trying to compete, your choice is quite limited.

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 25, 2018

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I'm 200 points away from GM. Should I try the climb with Niflgaard Alchemy or Elf swarm? I find I've had more success with Alchemy but that might just be bias.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

Darke GBF posted:

Thinking about how Sigrdrifa can no longer rez Gremist, so she's literally a 2 points better Priestess of Freya or at best a second Skjall +3 points is infuriating. Like, what in the gently caress were they thinking?

Sigrdrifa can also rez support/non-soldier stuff like Heymaey shieldmaiden, pirate captain, or the previously mentioned silver folks like Djenge, Skjall, or Harald. She is rad af and making a copy of her with Hym in a mirror match is so good.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I’ve been having fun and success with a fog/moonlight deck, probably won’t be good at higher level but I made it to rank 17 with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

Simone Poodoin posted:

I’ve been having fun and success with a fog/moonlight deck, probably won’t be good at higher level but I made it to rank 17 with it.

I had a fog/moonlight deck drowner my morkvarg into blood moon, where he proceeded to die 3 times in a row and then gently caress off forever

the same guy turn 2 used alghoul to eat my olgierd

fuuuuuuuuuuck offfffffffffffff