Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

For better or worse the Gwent community is going full meme during this wait for Homecoming.

https://youtu.be/uNTfJD3wElE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

It's a premium keg weekend right now, in case anybody cares.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

So i haven't played in like, forever. What happened to this game?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

game was essentially abandoned by CD Project while they make Gwent 2.0

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

There's a six month wait until the new version comes out, heard it was because they changed project lead. I recommend going to reddit and twitch and doomsaying about two rows killing the game forever.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

frajaq posted:

Is that in the same game? Or completely new? What the gently caress happened it was really off to a strong start.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Flipswitch posted:

Is that in the same game? Or completely new? What the gently caress happened it was really off to a strong start.

Yeah, it is a large scale overhaul / update that should change core mechanics or something like that. A lot of people really hated on the midwinter update (if you weren't around, it added the keyword create, which functions like hearthstone's discover) and there was a ton of complaining about that and other things with it.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

frajaq posted:

If you consider releasing a balance patch, a hotfix, and the coolest faction battle prize they've done so far as essentially abandoning the game, sure.

I mean yeah, I get that the announcement of the revamp has left some things up in the air, but all of y'all act like they shut down the servers the instant they announced Homecoming.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Oh, as rydiafan says, the game is there, fine, and functional! There won't be a lot of updates for awhile, but with the nerfs to some of the more egregious cards, gwent is still playable and all. I don't know what the latest boogeyman deck is, though...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
There's no planned changes until october. I still play the game but "abandoned" is totally a fair description. If a card is op or obnoxious now, like Restore or Assire + dead spies, nobody in a position to change it can be expected to care.

It's also not clear at all just how different the game will be in october. I think two rows is only the very beginning, I give a 30% chance of face being added to the game.

The game isnt bad by any means right now though. Alchemy and greatswords seem the strongest but if you have some plan to beat them, even a dumb one that relies upon drawing specific cards, you can enjoy yourself.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 8, 2018

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
dead game till october

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Darke GBF posted:

dead game till october

lol if you think this poo poo isnt getting delayed to 2019.

gwent home coming alright, coming home to witcher 3 when they turn off the gwent servers

https://twitter.com/pawelburza/status/1020348575455371264

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

cut this poo poo and funnel all resources to Cyberpunk IMO

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It was a good attempt. And it didn’t work out

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

But they didn't say they aren't cancelling homecoming :tinfoil:

I'm just kidding, of course, I don't keep up with the news so I'll try it when it eventually happens. Hopefully it (or at least the singleplayer campaign) ends up fun!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Captainicus posted:

But they didn't say they aren't cancelling homecoming :tinfoil:

I'm just kidding, of course, I don't keep up with the news so I'll try it when it eventually happens. Hopefully it (or at least the singleplayer campaign) ends up fun!

they aren't cancelling homecoming, they only show high quality products, unless it's midwinter update

https://clips.twitch.tv/ShortSullenClipsdadHassanChop

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I still love this bloody little game.

What happens to all the cards that are unlocked when they re-do the game?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
IIRC they said you will be able to dust your cards for full value.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/9axcb2/thronebreaker_info_from_cdpr_stream_today/

quote:

Thronebreaker will be an RPG game, not a card game
It will be standalone, users will not need to download Gwent to play it

https://clips.twitch.tv/HealthyGrotesqueMarjoramChocolateRain

Just generally, they really wanted to talk Cyberpunk, not Gwent or Thronebreaker and encouraged people not to ask about them after they'd given this information because that's all the information they want to give, and they want to focus on Cyberpunk

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

lmao :negative:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Azran posted:

IIRC they said you will be able to dust your cards for full value.

Annoyingly enough, the current plan is that everyone's entire collection will be automatically dusted.

I guess it's the only way to make sure nobody misses the window, or whatever.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Huh. Alright then. That'll save some time :v: That said, I'm not that hopeful about Gwent's future given the recent Thronebreaker news.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
So, uh, found the thread and suddenly second guessing myself about getting in the game. Is it dead? Is it being rebooted? I don't understand what's going on. :shobon:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
it is currently dead while we're all waiting for the reboot, which i think is due in october.

it is free to play though so you can always check it out and see how you like it!

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

It might be worth waiting. It isn't shut down or anything and there are probably still players, but there's a large scale overhaul update scheduled for a couple months from now. There's also a separate single player RPG campaign coming as well.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Well I suppose that's true!

Was just a bit confused by the "reboot" thing. Sounded like everything was being scrubbed rather than a revamp.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It seems like even money right now that the game will end up worse so if you're curious give it a shot now. Game's very unique.

(full disclosure: I expect it to be horrible post-homecoming)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 30, 2018

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

wew glad I jumped off this sinking ship before I could spend money on it

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I’d probably spend money if I could just buy shards to only play the tournament

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Well, I've yet to win against anyone that isn't the AI, but I'm enjoying this far more than I did Hearthstone! Feel drawn more towards collection than competition though. If nothing else it's making me want to try Witcher 3. :v:

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Awww yeah, first victory. Monster supremacy! :haw:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Awesome! What's your list?

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Monster Starter Deck. :haw:

I'm getting the hang of how certain things synergise, and what bounces off what still. Throwing together a lot of awful, random lists but the losses have been neat education.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

A great mantra a buddy of mine taught me is "whether you win or lose, if you know why you did, it was a successful game."

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Well, while I can't say if it's "good" I've thrown together something that basically drowns the enemy in spiders, then buffs those spiders while hurling fog and rain everywhere. Chip damage from the hazards really adds up against people silly enough not to bring the sunlight with them.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

holy poo poo homecoming looks, visually, amazing

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I'll post a link to the twitch timestamp or whatever for this video when it's done

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OWfUJXVjLQ&t=13565s

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

ooh that's an interesting way to bring more strategy to the rows. Not sure how I feel about only two rows though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The visuals look amazing. The gameplay remains to be seen. All in all, probably still dead game but potential for a spark of life