Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh yeah I didn't think of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
God deckbuilding is so pointlessly annoying right now. Two clicks to add a card to your deck but just one to remove it.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How come that deck isn't using the Katakan? I'm starting to unlock more monster cards to try some different decks other than Wild Hunt and haven't gotten Katakan yet myself.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

RatHat posted:

I've been using this Monsters consume deck to great success. The matchup against Dagon is a bit rough but it does really well against everyone else. The only issue I have with the deck is that sometimes you get screwed in the mulligan but usually it's fine.

Also Grave hag is really underrated.

I'm playing something close to this with a few variations and it's been a killer.

http://www.gwent-tracker.com/c?id=1498081103.1047

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I played Dijkstra, he played an Adept who played a Frost, and I never got my second card :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvA8uuabZNI

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That happens if he draws a lock and you lock him too.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Going from rank 9 to 10 was made a lot easier by getting the best 1-2 finisher I've got and having it work out 4 straight matches.

- I've got card advantage and on round 3

- My second to last card I play succubus on whatever row has his strongest unit.

- Final card I play grave hag. I just had a 50 point swing on the last game. Poor bastard.

I had one round where I did all that plus I had a nekker out and a vran warrior who's timer was about up to consume again. Just ridiculous.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 22, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I managed to Dimeritium Shackles/Scorch a 45 health gold hero against that consume setup. Was technically BM because I'd countered everything he'd done so far and I was up like 4 and only had those two cards left but I had hate in my heart because I can never seem to draw proper against that deck.

Subvisual Haze posted:

If you notice the game is treating things like you lost the match (rank decrease) there's a fair chance your opponent was using an exploit.

this happened to me three times in ~8 games yesterday

In casual matches vs sub-rank 10s what the hell

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 22, 2017

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I've gotten wins and losses off of that.
I suppose it does declare a winner so people might be exploiting a way to safely DC when you're up a card and a round, but that seems far fetched.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I mean, it only happened when I was about to win a round and I didn't get the win afterwards.

The deck building and card creation UI is super annoying in this dang game

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

EvanTH posted:

I mean, it only happened when I was about to win a round and I didn't get the win afterwards.

The deck building and card creation UI is super annoying in this dang game

Yeah. It's the worst i've ever seen in a ccg client, and that includes the various piles of trash released under the magic duels series. I'd be shocked if they aren't planning on reworking it. I mean, if you are building a deck and decide you want to craft a missing cards, you need to jump through 6 loading screens. It just feels rushed and not even fully implemented, especially if you compare it to something like Eternal (also open beta), which is a worse game imo, and clearly has a lower budget, but has has a fantastic deckbuilding (and deck sharing) interface that makes gwent look bad. The only thing that really makes it usable is the tiny deck size gwent has. Imagine trying to use an interface like this for a game that requires 60 or 75 cards.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

EvanTH posted:

I managed to Dimeritium Shackles/Scorch a 45 health gold hero against that consume setup. Was technically BM because I'd countered everything he'd done so far and I was up like 4 and only had those two cards left but I had hate in my heart because I can never seem to draw proper against that deck.

Hahha, well done. I had a Dagon deck just loving curb stomp me because in spite of them utterly destroying my rhthym it was pretty close at the end and then they pulled off a shackles + Bekker's mirror.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Dagon is in a super odd place in the meta. He doesn't have much of a chance against Skellige or Spell Control, and his matchups against dwarves and machines leave a lot to be desired.
But when you meet consume monsters or something that isn't a netdeck, you absolutely destroy them.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Dagon does pretty well against Skellige..

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Premium Biting Frost and Premium Wild Hunt Hound from the same keg. Heh, I've been thinking about making a Wild Hunt monster deck.

Also, now that I've reached level 10 and ranked play - the keg rewards from it are simply amazing. CDPR is great.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Trogdos! posted:

Also, now that I've reached level 10 and ranked play - the keg rewards from it are simply amazing. CDPR is great.

Just wait until you rank up; getting 4-5 kegs as soon as you hit a new rank threshold beats the hell out of grinding for a month for the chance at a single golden epic card in Hearthstone.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
For those of you that think Nilfgaard was overnerfed, what card would you most want to change back?

Also, for those that want to change weather and specifically frost really, what would you do? I've seen suggestions to make it proc at end of opponents turn, not hit enemies below 1, only last 5ish turns etc.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Macbearded put out a cool video about Dandelion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsOFUnKKFqw

He shows you units in the correct draw order and the mulligan phantom zone.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Decided to play a quck couple of ranked.. I'm one point from reaching rank 9 and I know I'm going to go on a losing streak now :ohdear:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I was actually just watching that and I remember seeing a conversation about it on Reddit a couple weeks ago. Unless the card is saying that your deck is shuffled after using some kind of tutoring/searching effect, it looks like the order of cards you see when searching is the order in which you will draw them. Might be intended, might be lazy coding. I imagine CDPR will address it at some point and either fix Dandelion to shuffle or make it know that the effect is intentional. I don't really mind either way. If this somehow makes Dandelion and other similar cards slightly more powerful to a skilled player, so be it.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

So It Goes posted:

For those of you that think Nilfgaard was overnerfed, what card would you most want to change back?

Also, for those that want to change weather and specifically frost really, what would you do? I've seen suggestions to make it proc at end of opponents turn, not hit enemies below 1, only last 5ish turns etc.

I think it would be interesting to make weather counters feel more like counters. Right now the best answer to frost is the single row clear bronze, which if placed on a row with two other units, puts you even against a hound. If it hits more than two then you still lose on value even though you had the best possible answer. Oh also it makes their next frost better because it hits the archgriffin in addition to whatever was there before. Basically having your weather countered isn't painful enough and it's trivially easy to run enough weather to exhaust any deck's answers.

Some possibilities:
1. Cards that clear weather instead cause a new weather, "clear sky", that lasts one or two turns and repels bad weather while it lasts. This allows you to proactively protect a vulnerable row (at the expense of not actually clearing weather), punishes weather more when played reactively, and rewards skill.

2. Cards that clear weather additionally shield all units on the affected row(s) from the next weather damage they would take.

3. Cards that clear weather heal up units on the row by how much weather damage they took last turn. Not a huge fan of this, but it's a lot better than crippling weather by making it trigger on turn end, like some people are suggesting.

4. Frost hits the highest and lowest unit(s) instead of all. I think they were testing this at some point but it didn't make it through. Probably a bit too weird to be honest, not good for the game.

5. Weather lasts 5 turns. Meh. I'd rather increase the options for interacting with/punishing weather than capping it's usefulness (and encouraging weird stalling tactics that nobody would enjoy)

Overall I do think weather needs to be changed but I'd rather make its counters more devastating than change the fundamental way weather works.

Magic Underwear fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 23, 2017

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

ShowTime posted:

I was actually just watching that and I remember seeing a conversation about it on Reddit a couple weeks ago. Unless the card is saying that your deck is shuffled after using some kind of tutoring/searching effect, it looks like the order of cards you see when searching is the order in which you will draw them. Might be intended, might be lazy coding. I imagine CDPR will address it at some point and either fix Dandelion to shuffle or make it know that the effect is intentional. I don't really mind either way. If this somehow makes Dandelion and other similar cards slightly more powerful to a skilled player, so be it.

Always assumed that was a deliberate feature. You even see this difference in northern realms decks, since reinforcement shuffles and dandelion doesn't, and they both seem to work as you'd expect.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
I'd rather the counter to weather be decks and archetypes that are naturally strong against weather (or buffed to be strong against weather) get stronger in the metagame when it's weather heavy, rather than giving every deck hard counters that let them position how they like and ignore weather.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

So It Goes posted:

Really the problem with Nilfgaard is more a sum of its parts than something that one change can fix. The imperial golems had their strength lowered and their spawn mechanic changed to make them almost completely incompatible with Calveit. Both changes at once were too much. And then points got shaved off Calveit, Cahir, Peter, Rainfarn. All those little numerical changes can really add up. Really the faction is just remarkably light in raw power at the moment. It can pull off some fun tricks, but it's so easy to just get buried by your opponent's raw strength.

The Gorp posted:

I've gotten wins and losses off of that.
I suppose it does declare a winner so people might be exploiting a way to safely DC when you're up a card and a round, but that seems far fetched.

It's a pretty popular exploit that pops up in lots of online games. It doesn't even have to do with who is "winning" the round, it's the game perceiving that you disconnected as a result of your opponent's exploit which results in you "losing". Completely anecdotal but I've seen less of it happening just in the last couple days, probably related to it being acknowledged as an issue https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/6i9jex/attention_drophacking_cheaters_will_get_banned/

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
would it be too aggressive to limit all weather cards to 1 of each per deck?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

ShowTime posted:

I think it's even dumber. It's the order in which cards were shuffled into the deck, and apparently cards are put into the deck initially bottom-to-top. So it's all the cards in order, then on the left hand side any cards shuffled in since then.

That there still isn't a toggle on their side to randomize the card order client-size - and that nobody thought to implement this very simple feature - is really strange.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

It would seem like such a simple and obvious hotfix to make axemen not trigger from...everything.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Hahaha, I completely hosed over this poor dude earlier. He played Skellige and had played Hjalmar in the first round. So we're in the third round and his last 3 cards were Kambi, Renew, and Dimeritium shackles. That's a killer combo especially against a consume deck, or so you'd think.

Unfortunately for this poor bastard he dropped Kambi and I immediately played my version of Renew and resurrected Hjalmar before he could. :lol:

Subvisual Haze posted:

Really the problem with Nilfgaard is more a sum of its parts than something that one change can fix. The imperial golems had their strength lowered and their spawn mechanic changed to make them almost completely incompatible with Calveit. Both changes at once were too much. And then points got shaved off Calveit, Cahir, Peter, Rainfarn. All those little numerical changes can really add up. Really the faction is just remarkably light in raw power at the moment. It can pull off some fun tricks, but it's so easy to just get buried by your opponent's raw strength.

This.

When playing with my consume deck I've lost 1 game to NG which required my opponent to get the most insane draws and for me to get terrible draws. In addition, I still could've won it but hosed up pretty badly at the end. I mostly laugh when I see NG decks doing fancy tricks because the Consume machine just churns out points.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 23, 2017

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Up Circle posted:

would it be too aggressive to limit all weather cards to 1 of each per deck?
Probably a bit overkill. Maybe 2? The better solution is to just add more different ways of countering it imo.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Make weather take a turn before hurting things.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Boy, Friday night Gwent players are a salty bunch. No GG from the other player five games in a row.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The Gorp posted:

Make weather take a turn before hurting things.

Just at the end of turn would be good enough I think.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

RatHat posted:

Just at the end of turn would be good enough I think.

Yeah as it stands even having the correct counter for a weather effect will still generally leave you in a worse position than you started because the damage has already ticked once.

Some kind of cap on weather/spell decks would be wonderful though. Sure they're a legitimate strategy with it's own limitations but it's hard to overstate just how incredibly unfun it is to slog out an entire match against a weather/spell deck. The game becomes completely non-interactive for the non-weather player and is just a dreary episode of waiting until the opponent's small number of boosted bronze or silver muster units appear at the end.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
i think weather is fine actually :shrug: don't really see the need to change it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
http://gwentlemen.com/snapshot/

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

that feel when the deck you most have fun is a tier 3 deck....

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Alright goon bros, time to have the most important discussion, and that is which deck has the best soundtrack? My vote goes to Skellige. They're soundtrack is badass and heavy on the string instruments! Then Nilfgaard, Northern Realms, Scoiatel, and finally Monsters. The monsters have by far the worst soundtrack with all those stupid demon noises they make! I've been listening to the entire OST on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/KJgsQc4ntxM. Check it out and tell me how you'd rate the soundtracks!

MarshyMcFly fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 23, 2017

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Not sure if I agree... I think people in general are undervaluing NG reveal deck. A full reveal deck with the good cards has both good strength and control. I won with it or went toe to toe with decks that afterwards were considered in the as top 3 in gwentdb.
Hell the table doesn't make any sense. This deck is on the other hand very vulnerable against ST spell deck as there are barely any targets for your scorpions, other damage like Leo, locks and other abilities, but here they have market it as 'favorable (green).

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 23, 2017

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

MarshyMcFly posted:

Alright goon bros, time to have the most important discussion, and that is which deck has the best soundtrack? My vote goes to Skellige. They're soundtrack is badass and heavy on the string instruments! Then Nilfgaard, Northern Realms, Scoiatel, and finally Monsters. The monsters have by far the worst soundtrack with all those stupid demon noises they make! I've been listening to the entire OST on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/KJgsQc4ntxM. Check it out and tell me how you'd rate the soundtracks!

I sing along to the monster song. But i think Nilfgaard is best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
i legitimately didn't know the different factions had different music lol

because (a) i turn that poo poo off in any game real quick and (b) i only have the cards to make monsters decks, so that's what i've been playing.