Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Just came back to this after a few months away and gently caress this is different. The drop rate seems shittier though since they gave me 44 barrels from the closed beta and it netted me 2 whole golds.

Still figuring out the lock mechanics and keep loving them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

ShowTime posted:

1 in 20-30 is about the going rate. You did fine opening golds. Which ones did you get? They might have been nerfed recently and you can scrap them for your choice of golds.

I grabbed Saesenthessis and Priscilla which is funny since I've been basically just playing Nilfgaard here at the start.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

RatHat posted:

Uh you start with Saesenthesis...

Oh sorry it was the Draug. Hard to keep track since they entirely redid the game in the last 3 months I've been gone.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

The game feels a lot different now but in spite of the changes people still love abusing the gently caress out of weather. Just played a dude with a Monster deck that dropped 6 separate weather effects on me.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

OMG you guys weren't joking. Priscilla is loving awful. Why does she have an ability that last 4 turns but she auto banishes after 3?!?! How the gently caress does that make sense.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's definitely not good against everyone but a consume deck absolutely wrecks the Skellige discard decks. Especially since I added a few of the griffins that move people between graveyards.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

What the hell. Had two straight games where Avallach only triggered once. When I re-played him it didn't draw cards. loving bugs robbed me of both matches.

Is there a way to beat Scoiatel specials decks because those fuckers pretty consistently wreck me.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

ShowTime posted:

And you are positive your opponent hadn't passed and you had cards in your deck? Avallac'h is a clash effect, so neither player can pass for his effect to work.

:doh:

I keep loving the small details up, drat.

On the plus side I managed a Letho/Dimeterium bomb combo and it was beautiful.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Subvisual Haze posted:

I get that Nilfgaard was the hot poo poo last patch and the golems especially were out of control, but I'm not getting why so many other cards for Nilfgaard had their power values reduced. Outside of the Impera Brigades and Tibor the whole faction is surprisingly weak in power and boost potential. So often my matches fall apart in the third round just because there are surprisingly few cards that bring power to the table. Lots of tricks and spies and cow carcasses, sure, but it's really drat hard to squeak out a win with those in a straight slugging match.

Yup, this keeps happening to me, but gently caress if I don't love playing spies, cows, and Letho/Dimeritium bomb. It's just a good time.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Subvisual Haze posted:

It really is such a fun and goofy faction. So many of the other common decks feel so auto-pilot in how they play out. The number of matches I'm losing by 1-5 points is getting depressing though.

I know but the matches where it sings are loving incredible. I just absolutely wrecked this skellige deck. He played Avallach in the first round and so did I and then he let me win the 1st round by 1 point so I went into the second round with loving everything.

I played so many spies plus cows my impera brigade were 25 and 24 respectively and then I used Fringilla to duplicate the 24 over plus I managed an 60 pt Letho/Dimeritium bomb combo. When I passed with 1 card left it was 145 to 36. :lol:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Subvisual Haze posted:

Yeah, finally got a match to try it out and Fringilla can't copy a gold. Oh well.

Fringilla won't work on golds but she's great especially if you run spies because you position a spy to the left of their highest non-gold unit and use her to reset that high unit's value or you can use it on your side. She's flexible and amazing. It's a great card.

I'll also position the cows that the cow guys throw to the left of their highest unit and then the turn before it kills the lowest unit I use Fringilla to gently caress them.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Electronico6 posted:

What silver are you cutting for Fringilla with Letho and D-bomb combo? Peter or Auckes?

Neither, but only because I don't have more NG silvers yet. I'll probably cut Peter for Cantarella when I get it.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

No Wave posted:

Cutting Peter with all the axemen around seems crazy...

I get that but I've also got Auckes, Fringilla, Letho, and a dimeritium bomb. I can handle the axemen just fine. I tend to get beat because the deck lacks overall power, not because the bear meta deck works against me.

That said, I play a great Consume deck for the ranked matches while I tweak my weirdo decks. Consume is a fun loving strategy and it works crazy well against almost everyone.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

ShowTime posted:

So it looks like there is an exploit letting you desync your client, causing the game to end and apparently in your favor. CDPR is aware of it, looking into fixing it and banning people that use it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/6i1o25/noxious_gets_scammed/dj3kfxt/

Basically you log into a second client using the same account and just queue for a game. When it finds you a game, your current game encounters an error and has to end, giving you the win.

This just happened to me!!

I was beating a guy badly enough that he passed in the second round with 4 cards left and me having already won the first round. Then when I went to close it out it desynced and said I loving lost!

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

RatHat posted:

Succubus' timer is start of turn, Rot Tosser is end of turn.

Yea this.

They need to do a better job explaining when the timers go off during a turn.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Subvisual Haze posted:

Why even have the numerical ambiguity if one is functionally a 1 turn reaction time and the other is a 2 turn reaction time? I mean I'll be the first to confess to being a knuckledragging illiterate card game plebian, but a more functionally intuitive description would seem like a net boon to everyone?

Agreed. It could easily be more intuitive plus how/when the timers go off with passing isn't remotely intuitive. I've figured it out now but only by loving it up consistently when I don't pay attention.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

botany posted:

what would that look like? the difference between "does stuff at turn start" and "does stuff at turn end" is pretty important. imagine weathers triggering at turn end so you can pull your units out of the way /clear the weather before they get hit. and if you have that difference, you still want different timers obviously. i'm all for clearer UI (why can i still not see my cards during the mulligan phase if my opponent is still picking ffs) but the gameplay elements should absolutely function the way they do now.

This and the fact that when you're choosing cards they aren't all displayed within one screen. Don't make me loving scroll to pick which card to mulligan.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Subvisual Haze posted:

Vicovaro medics aren't getting the 3 point strengthen when I use a decoy on them. That's good, I shudder at the thought of them not collapsing instantly from bears, below normal temperatures or stiff breezes.

Lol, of course. I use two of them in my deck and it'd be super if they were at least 2 power. In spite of that I've gotten my spy deck to be pretty formidable. Just a little more tinkering required

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Up Circle posted:

you cant be bothered to scroll? is this real?

Obviously I can be bothered, I play this all the time. UI isn't about designing something that most users will put up with it's about creating something the user either doesn't notice because it's so smooth and intuitive or something that's only noticed because it delights.

A mulligan system in which I can see all of my cards at once makes more sense than the weird scrolling action.

In addition when you're rezzing units they need to have it show which units are in which graveyards. That poo poo's screwed me a few times. The two graveyards just merge together which for cards like Assire Van Anahid is super loving confusing.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

I feel like I'm so close with this spy build and I can't quite get it right.

Bizarro Kale posted:

There's a trick to get around this, if you hover over a card in the graveyard menu and hold Tab the menu will hide and you can see the card on the right of the board - highlighted red if in their graveyard or blue if in your graveyard.

Really? Thank you! How did you figure that out?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Electronico6 posted:

Rainfarn and Ciri being weak is real bad and doesn't really help.

Rainfarn is loving useless.

I've been testing out Vilgefortz with it now. I think finding the right combo of golds is what's screwing with me.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Minrad posted:

rainfarn's real good if you're doing the meme letho/fring builds where you need 100% draw consistency on them

You can do that without wasting a gold on him.

Weirdly, I'm running into as many Nilfgardian decks these days as I am Skellige. It's interesting because almost every NG deck is different.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

The Gorp posted:

It's good, and by that I mean it's the single Monsters deck at the moment.
A bear or two utterly ruins it because of how many units spawn, and putting any form of weather on the ranged row basically kills the deck.

I added a Yennefer to it and the unicorn spawn is loving disgusting with the 50 billion units Consume decks poo poo out. Switching between NG spies and consume is depressing though because the spy deck you're scrapping and tightly trying to control the board and with monsters you're just making GBS threads out these massive power swings. Consume has so much power compared to NG decks.

Electronico6 posted:

Rainfarn was great pre-nerf, and was enabling the spy deck along side Ciri, more so than Tibor or RNR. Right now he is good with Fringilla but finding a spot unless your running a dedicated deck with her is kinda hard.

Vilgefortz is nice, though missing an ever present roach and constant blind pulls makes him frustrating. Often these days I use him more as a scorch than anything else. I miss Skellen but he just doesn't fit in these days.

So I've been tinkering around with a combo of Vilgefortz, Stefan Skellen, John Calveit, and 1 or 2 Impera Enforcers. Basically knowing what card is on top allows you to make some Imper Enforcers gold and then guarantees what card you pick up with Vilgefortz. It's been interesting.

My spy decks consistently get through my entire deck by round 3 or get down to 2-3 cards left depending on how I play it so I can guarantee I pick up every silver and gold I have. It's caused me to push more towards a control deck but it's still not wildly effective because there's no power in this deck.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Welp, started running into the loving bears builds. Good lord, 3 loving bears at once is beyond irritating.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Subvisual Haze posted:

Despite her low power value Ciri is still amazing. She's actually an awesome spy in disguise.

Which Ciri? Regular gold Ciri?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Subvisual Haze posted:

Play Ciri to give yourself a 15-20 point lead and watch the other player descend into indecisive anguish. Do they go down 2 more cards to win the round at huge card cost but deny you Ciri back? Or do they pass giving you the easy first round and also your Ciri back as card advantage. Bring along Roach's weak rear end for another 4 points unto the decision ledger.

Regular Ciri is just the 5 points though so with Roach it's only 9 points on the board. Do you mean when you're already up a little bit because that makes sense.

My problem with the Ciri/Roach combo is they take up precious spots from other cards that I prefer.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

I think the best feeling in this game, outside of beating the stupid bear deck, is when you go head to head against someone playing the same style deck and win. I'm 5-0 with my Consume deck against other Consume decks in ranked matches.

:feelsgood:

Subvisual Haze posted:

Yeah, once you understand what Ciri does related to card advantage and tempo the rest of the game just falls into place. The fact that she comes back into your hand (not just stays on the board) in a loss is enormous in making sure you have more cards in round 3 and can make the last play(s).

She's like a spy that gives +5 to you instead of -10.

Ahhh yea I see what you mean. Hmmm might need to test that out somewhat.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Up Circle posted:

what sort of twisted freak plays drought and ragh nar roog

Someone who really likes pretty animations.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

CJ posted:

So my record for this patch with my old Queensguard deck is, 5-4 against Monsters, 2-0 against Nilfguard, 6-2 against Northern Realms. 3-2 against Scoia'tael and 5-20 against Skellige.

What deck beats Kambi and axe men while having an ok time against Monsters? Since that accounts for 90% of the decks i am against i might as well focus on them.

If you can get good with a specials deck that'll do it but it's a tricky thing to master. Also, consume decks can go toe to toe if you're careful with decent draws.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 21, 2017

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

RatHat posted:

I've been using this Monsters consume deck to great success. The matchup against Dagon is a bit rough but it does really well against everyone else. The only issue I have with the deck is that sometimes you get screwed in the mulligan but usually it's fine.

Also Grave hag is really underrated.

I'm playing something close to this with a few variations and it's been a killer.

http://www.gwent-tracker.com/c?id=1498081103.1047

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Going from rank 9 to 10 was made a lot easier by getting the best 1-2 finisher I've got and having it work out 4 straight matches.

- I've got card advantage and on round 3

- My second to last card I play succubus on whatever row has his strongest unit.

- Final card I play grave hag. I just had a 50 point swing on the last game. Poor bastard.

I had one round where I did all that plus I had a nekker out and a vran warrior who's timer was about up to consume again. Just ridiculous.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 22, 2017

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

EvanTH posted:

I managed to Dimeritium Shackles/Scorch a 45 health gold hero against that consume setup. Was technically BM because I'd countered everything he'd done so far and I was up like 4 and only had those two cards left but I had hate in my heart because I can never seem to draw proper against that deck.

Hahha, well done. I had a Dagon deck just loving curb stomp me because in spite of them utterly destroying my rhthym it was pretty close at the end and then they pulled off a shackles + Bekker's mirror.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Hahaha, I completely hosed over this poor dude earlier. He played Skellige and had played Hjalmar in the first round. So we're in the third round and his last 3 cards were Kambi, Renew, and Dimeritium shackles. That's a killer combo especially against a consume deck, or so you'd think.

Unfortunately for this poor bastard he dropped Kambi and I immediately played my version of Renew and resurrected Hjalmar before he could. :lol:

Subvisual Haze posted:

Really the problem with Nilfgaard is more a sum of its parts than something that one change can fix. The imperial golems had their strength lowered and their spawn mechanic changed to make them almost completely incompatible with Calveit. Both changes at once were too much. And then points got shaved off Calveit, Cahir, Peter, Rainfarn. All those little numerical changes can really add up. Really the faction is just remarkably light in raw power at the moment. It can pull off some fun tricks, but it's so easy to just get buried by your opponent's raw strength.

This.

When playing with my consume deck I've lost 1 game to NG which required my opponent to get the most insane draws and for me to get terrible draws. In addition, I still could've won it but hosed up pretty badly at the end. I mostly laugh when I see NG decks doing fancy tricks because the Consume machine just churns out points.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 23, 2017

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

^^^^^ The first few ranks you probably could.

OMG, I think I've figured out the best possible consume deck. It's been loving up those stupid bear decks left and right*. I love it so much. I switched it up so I have The Last Wish and Azurs Double-cross, along with 3 Arachas', and 3 Nekker's all for deck thinning.

Those allow me to pull one of my gently caress everyone else Golds: Succubus & Villentretenmerth. Villen works so well with the leader consume ability. Drop Villen, let the consume machine do it's work then consume your top 3 cards right before Villen fucks up everyone. The beauty of it is that if they've got shackles they always throw it on Villen which allows my leader to still work without getting screwed over.

* with the notable exception of the time I thought locking the Ogroid unit Hjalmar puts out would negate the ability and then proceeded to consume it causing me to lose by 3 points.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Larger minimum deck size would be interesting but a lot of decks would just massively stack spells/weather

They need a counter on those drat bears and for the axemen to not trigger from literally everything. If my Arachas Behemoths have a -1 for every consume causing them to die after 6 then the bears should be on the same system.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

When's this patch dropping?

Also, HALLELUJAH! they are nerfing weather. Good riddance, now maybe I'll be able to play against decks that use actual unit cards instead of ten thousand spells and a smattering of golds.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Renew only pulling from your own graveyard is a huge change as well. On the plus side maybe it won't be an auto-include anymore.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

No Wave posted:

It was like this in CB and was never, ever played.

HOWEVER, the mull changes might make this playable. They've made Dijkstra/Royal decree go from terrible and never played ever to fun and playable so maybe Renew will end up the same way.

Yea, I can definitely see the usefulness of it for certain decks but for my Consume deck it's now out.

NG Reveal got a hell of a lot more viable now with this patch and also prep yourself to run against NR every single round. It's going to be the new meta for sure.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I hope the end result of this patch isn't just that already good 37-card NR deck just becoming the new Skellige.

Slightly salty that I never got to play my Monster deck with Succubus actually functioning properly, but oh well. It's the only faction I have a lot of good stuff for so I hope there are still some good options for it.

v- oh yeah, I was referring to it still being broken on consoles, you can only place it in the opponent's first row.

Right now it definitely looks like NR is going to replace SK as preferred meta.

Consume is still a viable deck so you're still going to be able to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

King Pawn posted:

Consume isn't dead but it is a bit weaker abd NR was already a bad matchup.

How is it weaker? And I've had mixed success against NR, it's not as rough as matchup as monster weather.