Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
Any timeframe on when they might introduce drafting? Always loved that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

rydiafan posted:

Man, gently caress alchemy Nilfgaard decks. Viper Witchers (and therefore Ointments) are just casual 15 point bronzes that murder anything they want before you can build combos.

Ran into this and it was brutal. Not fun to play against!

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
I can't figure out anything whatsoever to do with a NR card: Witch Hunter

http://www.gwentdb.com/cards/50259-witch-hunter

3 power unit, Rediania soldier

Reset a unit. If it's a Mage, play a copy of this unit from your deck.

Reset isn't keyworded on the card; is there any benefit to resetting your own units? reset doesn't trigger comes-into-play effects, right?

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
I swear that a decent percentage of my wins with my Crach deck are from folks playing summoning circle on my Harald Houndsnout and forfeiting after realizing that they copied the skull that when-it-dies-spawns-a-bear-for-me.

I love my dumb skull friend.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
I'm having loads of fun in ranked play with my Jan Calveit witcher/alchemy deck. (viper witchers that hit for ~10 off of Mahakam ales, Ointments, and silver/gold alchemy stuff)

The absolute most fun matchup must be vs. Nilfgaard spies. Most spy players just kinda automatically open with an emissary and kill it with their Impera enforcers to activate a vivocario medic resurrection.

Interrupting that plan by resurrecting it with an ointment is deeply satisfying. Slave driver also is able to steal their spy-activated stuff well, including their medics.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
Made it to GM with my lovely skellige Crach Greatsword/Harald Houndsnout deck. I call it: "Bones on a boat"

Golds:
Renew (MVP)
Wild Boar
Coral
Hym

Silver:
Harald Houndsnout
Restore
Djenge
Skjall
Sigdrifa
CA Spy - Udalryk

Bronzes:
3x An Craite greatsword
3x priestess of Freya
3x Dimun light longship
2x Dimun Pirate captain
2x Dimun corsair
1x Heymaey Spearmaiden
1x Reconnaissance

I messed around with the bronze composition foreeeeeever, but I am pretty happy with this. I had 3x pirate captains and no spearmaidens or no reconnaissance, but settled on this after lots of fiddling. You gotta be careful when mulliganing because Skjall only can tutor for Udalryk and Harald Houndsnout. It's great getting Hym + Skjall in hand R1 because you can use Hym to grab Harald R1 and still have Skjall to ensure you can get Udalryk R2.

Harald also fixes the big problem with Greatsword decks because it enables a big tempo swing (with Djenge) or a small one (with Longships or Wild Boar killing off Wilfred and Wilhelm). Crach into Djenge onto Harald is a 2-round 41-point (plus damage to their row) swing (5+2+10+4+6+3+11)!

Anyhow, 1st time getting to GM, so I'm pretty happy.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

Darke GBF posted:

Thinking about how Sigrdrifa can no longer rez Gremist, so she's literally a 2 points better Priestess of Freya or at best a second Skjall +3 points is infuriating. Like, what in the gently caress were they thinking?

Sigrdrifa can also rez support/non-soldier stuff like Heymaey shieldmaiden, pirate captain, or the previously mentioned silver folks like Djenge, Skjall, or Harald. She is rad af and making a copy of her with Hym in a mirror match is so good.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
I'd say the best silver is Harald houndsnout as it has the most skulls.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
My Greatsword variant deck is still great. Renew is even better with djikstra more common in this meta!

Edit: I'm also having great success with a very thinning temeria deck, but it reaaaaaaaaaly needs a deck tracker to work right. Sarah is a crucial card to smooth over cards that should be in the deck ending up in your hand.

The Lemondrop Dandy fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 17, 2018

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

No Wave posted:

Isnt Ves better for that? Imo Foltest decks are almost real decks, except henselt has a completely unfair matchup against them.

Nah, Sarah gives you better control over what you get; you usually want to switch out an early Shani or a late not-djikstra. Being able to switch out a silver for a different silver is also very useful.

Ves used to be better when it was mulliganing (not swapping), but that was the olden days of several months ago.

Henselt decks are deffo a bad matchup, but feel pretty good vs the rest of the field.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

rydiafan posted:

Mulligans blacklist. Swaps don't. Unless I'm forgetting something no card currently mulligans; they all swap.

Yeah, that's what I meant. It's a pity but what're you gonna do?

Incidentally, understanding how blacklisting works and why CA spies are a big deal was when I felt like I actually understood the game.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

No Mods No Masters posted:

More power to you but I think you're very much in the minority. Even if the status quo is fairly balanced, I would say most people find games like this get stale quickly without regular infusions of content

I'm in this camp. I like the game but don't see much value in spending much time on it if there isn't change/forward momentum.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
Holy moly, this is actually releasing on time? I've been ignoring this since the spring when they said they'd not be releasing any updates until homecoming. Whole lotta changes by the looks of it. Bummed that it looks like I'll be losing a bunch of my premium cards in the changeover, oh well.

edit: WTF is happening with how card advantage works? Passing looks to be a totally different prospect now.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

No Wave posted:

The card draw changes are good. Passing becomes something that's in general only profitable after playing 3 cards round 1. This doesnt mean tempo is irrelevant, but it means that your first 3 turns of tempo are important rather than a 1-turn cheese combo like brouver cleaver or dandelion roach alchemist.

CA is still obviously great but less intrinsically game-deciding as well due to drawing 3 cards r3 (probably the best change of any of them). I assume we're going to see a lot of cheese built around trying to take round 1 fast and expensively then setting things up r2 and stacking r3 using thinning and stored mulligans (a mechanic that's very interesting and potentially dangerous).

The crucial breakpoints are 7 and 4 cards. If you go below 7 cards in hand you can lose CA that carries over to the next round and if you win round 1 with 4 or more cards you can guarantee having a max hand size r3.

Still a lot to be seen. PTR was very unbalanced so i expect release will be a little wild.

Hmm, managing your knowledge of what's remaining in your deck was always important in Old Gwent but it looks to be even more important now. This release is gonna be nuts.

Looks like GwentUp (my personal favorite deck tracker) is not going to be ready immediately. I may need to do paper/pencil again.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
so, looks like things will start happening tomorrow. exciting!

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
Game(s) very good. Enjoying fooling around with unseen elder deathwish deck.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
I miss the consistency of all the great tutors that used to be around, but nugwent seems more fair.

Enjoying the poo poo out of thronebreaker so much that I'm not doing the multiplayer as much as I thought I would. Puzzles are rad!

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
I got around to playing arena a bit and it's super goddamn fun. After spending a bunch of time in regular deckbuilding tweaking with reinforcement costs, it's great just playing whatever you draft.

There basic arena concept (pick removal and thinning, avoid heavy synergy cards unless you've already drafted applicable cards) still applies but it sure feels like most all of the cards are playable in Arena. I very rarely seem to have a pick of 4 useless cards which was always the worst feeling in old-gwent arena.

The leaders and draw-up-3 work great in the format. Drafted usurper and loved it.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
I'm enjoying playing a goofy ghoul deck where you play a bunch of thrive junk and big fat stuff like old Speartip, Caldwell, and golyat. Play for a short round three and eat big corpses for profit. I use the witch that lets you eat Caldwell or golyat from hand for ez card advantage, and use woodland spirit as my leader. He's nice to buff up immune stuff like werewolf or alpha werewolf.

It's not the most competitive, but is fun to throw big dumb monsters around.

My other jam right now is a usurper shupe deck that runs all the hand manipulation gold jank available to nilfgaard to set up free or nearly free plays of that 13-drop dude that summons the top cards of the opponent's deck or 11-drop that damages self by the power of the top of your opponent's deck.

Usurper has easily the most powerful ability of any leader because shutting down the leader ability greatly weakens most deck's strategies. Having 0-1 redraws is absolutly brutal but is somewhat mitigated by the hand/deck manipulation available to nilfgaard.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

No Wave posted:

I'm serious about Yrden btw. This is a hot tip use it before it blows up nobody sees it coming. Hard counters greatswords, beastmaster, cahir NG, spellgaard, agleis, woodland spirit, ghoul decks in general, consume, strenger NR, gets ok value vs any NG deck and most NR decks, and most importantly WRECKS FROTH.

Only bad against the "unitless" decks. But a lot of cards are.

Days later, but this is absolutely true. You can get great value outta wiping out buffs.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
Been running into a bunch of Eist (!) decks running self-harming warriors to rez then play bekker's dark mirror. With the 12-drop lady, you get a "surprise" 18-point unit.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

No Wave posted:

You stumbled on one of the better decks... Big Monsters is one of the more successful decks at higher ranks, even with Lemmens running around everywhere.

Eithne elves (no artifacts, epidemics, or scorches) is probably the most enjoyable deck for me right now but shirru is such an overpowered scumbag card, hard to be too proud when I win.

Your deckbuilding choices feel like froth, artifact, or cheese... there are a few archetypes that work outside of that triangle like elves, big monsters, and foltest goodstuff but it's not really enough. I should give them points for trying with witchers and greatswords I guess.

hell yeah, I've been tweaking this one and it's badass. I'm sick to death of playing the goddamn witcher trio in every deck so I modified my big dumb monster ghoul deck to not run 'em and I kinda dig it a bunch.

Without having to worry about the dumb witcher trio Naglfar gets even better. it has good synergy with Weavess: Incantation, too.

Here's my list:

(15) Old Speartip
(11) Weavess Incantation
(10) Naglfar
(10) Golyat
(10) Sleepy Speartip
(9) Ozzrel
(8) Count Caldwell
(8) 2x Ghoul
(7) Werecat
(7) 2x Griffin
(5) Alpha Werewolf - MVP
(5) 2x Drowner
(4) 2x Nekker Warrior
(4) 2x Werewolf
(4) 2x Ancient Foglet
(4) 2x Nekker
(4) 2x Archespore

Basically, you play little weak thrive junk early, big fat guys later. With very little thinning you are pretty draw-dependent but 3-4 mulligans is helpful.

Some non-obvious tricks:

Griffin is a great ghoul/ozzrel graveyard consume target in addition to the Speartips, Caldwell, and Golyat. Griffin is also useful in eating a damaged big dude to get 'em in the graveyard to get eaten by ghouls. Ancient Foglet synergy is obvious.

The deck is full of proactive plays, which feels great. Werewolf, Nekker Warrior, Nekker, Ancient Foglet, Alpha Werewolf or even the big fat guys are all useful against an empty board

little 1-drop Nekkers aren't the worst option to target with your leader ability. When played, the boosted nekker will trigger the thrive of the spawned little guy making it a 10-point play instead of a 9-point play! woooooo. Werewolf and Alpha Werewolf are obviously way better, but turning a small thrive dude into a big thrive dude is okay if you have big fat dudes to play.

Unless it's the final gamewinning play, don't boost your fat guys; it's dumb and risky.

Replacement options:

Caldwell is 10-power for 8 recruitment. Be smart and don't play him if there is any real chance of him getting stolen over to your opponent's side. Play at the end of rounds or feed him to the weavess. If you don't like the risk, you could replace him with an Ice Giant or Primordial D'ao, I guess.

In older versions of this deck I ran a bunch more big fat dudes like Primordial D'ao and Ice giant, but it felt like too many. if you don't like the griffins, Ice giants are an easy replacement, but I think Primordial D'ao recruitment is overcosted and ice giants are just boring. if you really want to fit in the witcher trio, you could replace some of the really big guys for ice giants and take out Werecat.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

No Wave posted:

I like your list. What most people do instead of werecat is run forktails, which are actually insanely op in the list and a large reason it's tier 1.

However I encourage you to run your own, it's more fun that way.

I've been making a concerted effort not to netdeck this time and it's fun. I could really see how forktails could be good, but playing slightly unexpected stuff has its own benefit.

My other constructed jam is a Demavend charge-a-palooza deck (Lyrian Arbalest and piles of charge/order cards; Anna Strenger, Tridam infantry, Vysogota, Priscilla, Dandelion, etc) but it has a hard time against folks that know the basic combos and are running appropriate removal.

I had fun with an arena deck that I drafted with 2 pheonix and Derran. Lucked into having Eist as my leader along with a few appropriate Warrior targets. Eist isn't the worst arena leader if you can make him work. I like his voice lines quite a bit, too.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
I dug the thing (very early in the game) where when you encounter monsters your advisors are like "should we call a Witcher?" And you are like "no time, just use heavy artillery." I guess monsters are much less scary if you have a literal army with you to take 'em out.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

No Wave posted:

I like your list. What most people do instead of werecat is run forktails, which are actually insanely op in the list and a large reason it's tier 1.

However I encourage you to run your own, it's more fun that way.

Yeah, after playing around with a consume list for a while I was convinced at the power of forktails, so I switched out a werecat and a griffin for a pair of them. Running into loads of anti-fat critter/anti-graveyard tech though. Lots of matchups come down to feeling out when it's safe to play little nekkers/thrive dudes early or when you gotta mull them away.

There seem to be a bazillion Crach decks out there at the moment. Lots of variety in the details of what they are doing. Halfway tempted to start running an artifact hate dude to snag the occasional spear or ethne schirru potion. I hate to dilute the basic game plan though.

Top 150-120ish in North America, woo. I wonder if I'll manage to push to pro level again. Level 9 or so at the moment but I can't help but try janky new ideas in ranked.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Yeah, after playing around with a consume list for a while I was convinced at the power of forktails, so I switched out a werecat and a griffin for a pair of them. Running into loads of anti-fat critter/anti-graveyard tech though. Lots of matchups come down to feeling out when it's safe to play little nekkers/thrive dudes early or when you gotta mull them away.

There seem to be a bazillion Crach decks out there at the moment. Lots of variety in the details of what they are doing. Halfway tempted to start running an artifact hate dude to snag the occasional spear or ethne schirru potion. I hate to dilute the basic game plan though.

Top 150-120ish in North America, woo. I wonder if I'll manage to push to pro level again. Level 9 or so at the moment but I can't help but try janky new ideas in ranked.

well, did switch out some stuff for artifact hate and it was the right idea.

updated list:

Ghoulish

(15) Old Speartip
(11) Weavess Incantation
(10) Naglfar
(10) Golyat
(9) Ozzrel
(8) Count Caldwell
(8) Frenzied D'ao
(8) 2x Ghoul
(7) 1x Griffin
(6) Nithral
(6) 2x Cyclops - new MVP
(5) Alpha Werewolf
(5) 2x Forktail
(5) 2x Drowner
(4) 2x Nekker Warrior
(4) 2x Ancient Foglet
(4) 2x Nekker
(4) 1x Archespore

Cyclops is crucial in taking out early engines and in throwing count Caldwell into someone's face before he switches sides. The switch-sides ability triggers at the end of YOUR turn, so he is okay to play on a board where you have the highest unit as long as you can afford to throw him away if they get highest unit during their turn.

Frenzied D'ao is a decent ghoul target and the now-two artifact killers are useful vs. elfish decks and Crach decks. Weavess: Incantation is your most useful tools in getting ghoul targets into the graveyard, but Griffins and Cyclops works in a pinch, too.

Naglfar is amazing. if you have both Naglfar and Weavess: Incantation in your opening hand, you are probably going to win the match.

Nithral is the first card to go if the meta shifts away from decks running artifacts at all.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
I dunno, I like it fine? :shrug:

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
I like the concept of raising the hand limit to 11.

Beyond helping make passing more stategic, One of my pet peeves about the 10-card handlimit is that playing birna bran (draw 2, discard 2) as a first play doesn't work with the 10-card limit (she just draws/discards 1 card, for those curious and lucky enough not to know from experience.)

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

No Wave posted:

Here are the preview contents of the december patch:

Nobody works on this game apparently.

you missed part of it:

"Main focus are tweaks to card power and provision costs. "

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
updated list:

Autophagy

(15) Old Speartip
(11) Weavess Incantation
(10) Naglfar
(10) Golyat
(9) Ozzrel
(8) Count Caldwell
(8) 2x Ghoul
(7) 1x Griffin
(6) 2x Celaeno Harpy - new MVP
(6) 2x Cyclops
(5) Alpha Werewolf
(5) 2x Forktail
(5) 2x (young?) Foglet
(5) 2x Drowner
(4) 2x Ancient Foglet
(4) 2x Nekker
(4) 1x Archespore

An iteration on cyclops being good is adding in Celaeno Harpy and Foglet and taking out the artifact hate suite and nekker warriors. You eat your little dudes to make your forktail better value. Foglet does a smidgeon of thinning while still being just big enough to trigger your tiny thrive dudes. Harpy also gives you better options in eating damaged guys vs. crach (to turn off bloodlust, mess up their shihl planning) and disrupting schirru/scorch math for Eithne.

Deck is challenging to play, but fun!

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
My ghoul deck (above) is still good if you like (effective) graveyard recursion stuff. I also like an Eist Heimdall/warrior Skellig graveyard fun times deck, too.

One of the things you gotta watch out for is the difference between "playing" a card and "summoning" a card. Sigdrifa will not trigger deploy effects, Eist will!

Right now is a good time to experiment with graveyard stuff as a nasty graveyard hate card just got a major nerf.

Enjoying post-patch gwent; lots of great variety in ranked right now.

Edit: LOVE the ability to right click on deck to review remaining cards; super useful when mulling in r3 or with naglfar/call of the wild.

The Lemondrop Dandy fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

Qmass posted:

EVERYONE PLAY GWENT ~!

hell yeah