Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Just started this game yesterday and I'm addicted as gently caress.

I will say the Nilfgaard starter deck having two emissaries and no cards that trigger off of them is a poor design decision. I was utterly flabbergasted by the terribleness of that card until I played against somebody that had spy trigger cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

So I haven't played since the first month or so this was public, but I've played 80 hours of Witcher 3 since buying it last month, so I decided to play this again today. I bought the $5 starter set, got a shitload of mulligan based elf cards, so I built a mulligan deck. I'm 6-0 in casual so far, because I'm not level 10 yet.

In my last game I learned you can mulligan to redraw the card you mulligan, which blew my mind. It's a free +3 to your best card in hand with Francesca.

Next I need to save up the scraps to get Sarah.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ok, after a little more keg and scrap spending I've made this Francesca deck.

Bronze:
Elven Wardancer - 3
Blue Mountain Commando - 3
Vrihedd Officer - 3
Vrihedd Vanguard - 3
Dol Blathanna Trapper - 2
Vrihedd Brigade - 1

Silver:
Decoy
Scorch
Dudu
Sarah
Barclay Els
Cleaver

Gold:
Royal Decree
Triss Marigold
Avallac'h: The Sage
Saesenthessis

Wardancers get mulliganed out. Commandoes flop out in a mass. Officers boost off of vanguards or, failing that, trappers. Brigade is weather control or a beefy officer target if need be. Els and Cleaver are weird, I know, but with mulligans I can guarentee Els in hand and cleaver in deck, which makes Els a 14 point play plus lock.

So what do I do next? Saskia is my next creation, obviously, but I'm not sure what she replaces. I also don't know what my next step after that is. I think I take Dudu out, as Francesca's boost is nulified if I dig him out, but he's generically useful and I don't know what to replace him with. Ida Emean?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Up Circle posted:

edit if you have dol blathanna archers i'd take them over trappers, but that's just personal preference.

That's a thought. Consistent 4 damage versus the gamble with the trappers.

+idea mean
+saskia
-decree
-dudu

I'll do that for now and think about the last gold while I save up scraps.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Duckbox posted:

So guys, I'm getting bored with Nilfgaard and starting to think reveal may be tier 3 after all. I'm thinking it's time I cashed in my 8k scrap and tried something like Scoiatael. What's a deck that's actually fun?

rydiafan posted:

Leader:
Francesca

Bronze:
Elven Wardancer - 3
Vrihedd Officer - 3
Vrihedd Vanguard - 3
Dol Blathanna Trapper - 2
Vrihedd Brigade - 1

Silver:
Decoy
Scorch
Ida Emean
Sarah
Barclay Els
Cleaver

Gold:
Saskia
*Gold of your choice here*
Saesenthessis

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 13, 2017

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I played Avallac'h: The Sage against somebody today and nothing happened. I could hear the sad trombone in my head. :negative:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Up Circle posted:

+aglais
+idea mean
+saskia
-royal decree
-triss
-dudu

Up Circle posted:

if you have dol blathanna archers i'd take them over trappers, but that's just personal preference.

I ended up getting an animated Geralt: Aard in a keg, so I subbed him in for Triss instead of Aglais, and made the other changes you mentioned. You were right about the archers over trappers. Yeah, the trappers did 8-10 damage sometimes, but the times they did 0-2 were frustrating, and the ability to focus damage where needed is good. Deck currently stands as follows and is serving me well.

Leader:
Francesca

Bronze:
Elven Wardancer - 3
Vrihedd Officer - 3
Vrihedd Vanguard - 3
Dol Blathanna Archer - 2
Vrihedd Brigade - 1

Silver:
Decoy
Scorch
Ida Emean
Sarah
Barclay Els
Cleaver

Gold:
Saskia
Geralt: Aard
Saesenthessis

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I'm continuing to polish my mulligan elf deck. I'm here so far: http://tinyurl.com/ycwc4m2j

Thoughts?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

That makes me wonder if there's something to a dimeritium bomb/muzzle combo.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Seedge posted:

PS+ people get 50% off Meteorite Powder in the early access Black Friday deals, if you were thinking you wanted more movie cards.

I can't figure out when this deal expires. Any clue?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

:wow:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

So I've been thinking, is rarity even needed? All golds are legendary and all silvers are epic, which means the only time rarity and type are different in the game is common vs rare bronzes. The only purpose this serves is to allow for bronzes in the 5th card choice when opening a keg while still guaranteeing a rare or higher card. Would it be a big change to the value of kegs to eliminate rarity entirely, and have kegs give a fifth card that's guaranteed to be gold, silver, or animated bronze?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I just need to know what this guy does, because his adorable rear end is going in all my decks no matter what.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Semi-random. It's using the new "pick from three random cards" mechanic they're instituting.

Good enough for me. I'll run him, the new Isengrim, and Avalla'ch the Sage for maximum yolo.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Where are people finding these premium version?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Just lost a game and I want to know if I got hosed over by a glitch or I'm missing something.

I was playing against Spella'teal and round one played Avalla'ch: The Sage. Nothing happened, meaning there were no gold or silver units in my opponent's deck. Annoying, but given how spell-heavy the deck is I didn't question it. Round three he played Alzur's Double Cross and it summoned Ciaran. What happened? Why wasn't Ciaran in the deck for my play, but was for his?

Fake edit: Unless he mulliganed it back into his deck after round 1 or 2, I guess. That's weird but I can't think of anything else.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Goblin posted:

They messed up handing out the rewards for the Skel vs NR event so enjoy your premium Madman Lugos AND Dijkstra!

edit: apparently it's only if you supported NR, if you went Skellige enjoy your 100 meteorite dust :shrug:

Whelp, I'm glad I played neither and then managed to scrape together a really lovely Northern Realms deck and win a game after about 9 losses in casual last night.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

frajaq posted:

why would you play casual

why do you hate yourself

Because I wasn't going to gently caress my ranking with a garbage deck I made out of scraps in a faction I don't play.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

For those who didn't watch the stream, in addition to their different powers each of the three adventurers has a pool of five abilities and you get to pick one out of three of them. One of the examples they gave for the Mage adventure, for example, was to draw a card.

I'm gonna build the poo poo out of a Shupe deck. Shupe, Renew, and Royal Decree for sure. Only 22 more cards to go. Dimetrium Shackles and Decoy as well, probably.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Behind the mathematical power of nerds on the internet!

Iorveth: Meditation

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Myrmidongs posted:

Yeah this is some next level nerd. First trackers, now spergulators.

All that poo poo boils down to having something with 60% of the health of their biggest thing duel their biggest thing.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

frajaq posted:

Open PTR nice

e: hahahhaah they had to stop the showcase match because he was spawned with GOG friend invites

They forgot to mention the row limit. :(

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

http://www.gwentdb.com/news/98-gwent-challenger-decklists

That's all the decks used, just in case any of you didn't know they were available online.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

frajaq posted:

uhhh that's from the previous Challenger

for the one that just happened it's here

Oops, thanks. I'll leave mine for maximum net-deck availablity.

Also, that Usurper leader card looks bonkers.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Why did I just play an Iris against Emhyr? :negative:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

I can't get past 18 rank and whatever I've stopped even caring. Felt like a badass beating the 19 rank guy I got matched against yesterday though. I would like the cool red border.

I'm in a similar funk. I get 10 MMR away from leveling up, then lose 3 games in a row and rocket downwards. Very frustrating.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Minrad posted:

New card collection UI looks kinda tiny? It looks like something made for tablet

Hopefully that's because it is.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

First player should get a free 5 points or something.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

frajaq posted:

Replay a Bronze or Silver ally and boost it by 5

Does this mean resurrect, or is it like Decoy?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I just damaged and muzzled a construct, because I didn't realize it didn't have a death triggered ability anymore. I'm going to have to start reading every card every game for a little while so that I don't keep playing with old abilities and looking like a moron.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Pretty much every unit in the deck I was running had its power increased by one. Well that's handy, it is a little insulting that my deck was considered that bad.

I was doing the seasonal event puzzles and noticed that yrden's description mentions hitting a row, but it still hits the whole board.

It happens so rarely that I can't remember, did weaken always not trigger Deathwish abilities? I just had an opponent weaken an Iris to zero and she didn't proc.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Electronico6 posted:

And the new leader challengers weren't ready to be released with the patch, and can only be obtainable through scraps. Also if you want to play Consume Monsters you gotta craft Arachas Queen.

They should've made Unseen Elder have full craft mill value.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Knowlue posted:

Need help with a keg here with some new epics. Pit trap, Ruehin, or an animated King of Beggars (yes hes bad but movie card!)

As a Scoiatel player I'd recommend pit trap, but I'm a sucker for premiums, so I'd take the King.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Played a game yesterday against somebody with a garbage deck. Finally figured out they had 25 different cards. Was excited for his last card to be Shupe. It was Coral. Guy straight up had a Shupe deck without Shupe. He had even played four gold cards, so I know he wasn't just draw screwed.

I felt blue-balled.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

In lighter news I made a dumb meme deck based on the American military adage "If we don't know what we're doing, the enemy certainly can't anticipate our future actions!"

Usurper

Uma
Avalla'ch the Sage
Blue Dream
Aguara True Form

Summoning Circle
Johnny
Dazhbog Runestone
Dorregagray
Portcullis
Decoy

Doppler x 3
Vicovaro Medic x 3
Slave Driver x 3
Ointment x 3
Magne Division x 3

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Man, gently caress alchemy Nilfgaard decks. Viper Witchers (and therefore Ointments) are just casual 15 point bronzes that murder anything they want before you can build combos.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/7me1pt/a_coinflipfix_specifically_for_card_advantage/

This actually isn't a bad idea.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The draw mechanic just means that it replaces itself if the player going second passes first.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

A couple janky tips.

1) Put an extra bronze in your decks that don't have Ciri: Nova. People will see that you have 26 cards, and play with the expectation that you're going to drop her at the end of round 3. I bricked guy with a Scorch yesterday.

2) Take a silver out of your decks that do have Ciri: Nova. People will see that it's a 25 card list and never expect her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Minrad posted:

You can also cheat a bit and just run recon for one of your bronzes. You don't need a dupe of it to activate ciri nova.

I assume this is a bug, since I see no reason recon should be special.