Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Gwent feels quite generous to me as well. I was particularly surprised when I hit level 10, tried a ranked game and was just showered in kegs for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
I'm pretty sure I'm bad at this game :saddowns: If I recorded myself playing a game and posted it up, would anyone be willing to review it? We used to do this semi-regularly in the Hearthstone threads but maybe it's harder for Gwent..

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
I guess I should have checked if I was set up to record before I asked. Had to wrestle with my terrible Australian internet and a busted microphone so excuse the quality https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E2HQKYrn5o

My current deck: based off this but with only the default gold cards, and teched for low ranked metagame as best I could manage.

I already noticed a few mistakes, especially with the reaver hunters at the end, but I'm sure there's more I was completely oblivious to. Very grateful for any help :)

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Minrad posted:

Before I start, i'll just say: I'm personally not a fan of Foltest over Henselt. I think Foltest gives you a lot more reliability in winning round 3 and getting neneke value, and reavers are already excellent at winning round 1 usually. I also prefer mages w/ frost over light cavalary and kaedwani siege support, you have a lot more control over how turn 1 goes and how your deck gets thinned. This game in general is kind of weird because he concedes round 1 so early; in my experience round 1 is usually a much bigger struggle which is ideal for you to thin your deck more so you can draw into your combo pieces during round 2.

Round 1 looks fine; winning turn 1 for cheap with a reaver deck is really important, since you can use reavers for a blow out later. I think playing Philippa on turn 2, targeting Cynthia might've been stronger for you. You'd get the full 15 damage value out of Phillipa on top of killing the Impera Brigade, which makes turn 1 much more difficult for NG to win since they're so reliant on the huge power boost brigades give.

Round 2, looks fine, your goal there is just to bleed him out for as much as you can so you can swing with reavers hard in the last round.

Round 3, using ADC early is a mistake. I would Operator early, then once you've played at least one reaver hunter you can play ADC to pull the other reaver hunter. This would've let you use a reaver scout to pull the second blue stripes scout and clear the skellige storm, and it leaves you less vulnerable to igni/scorch and lets you feel free to stack 3 reaver hunters on a row to get value from their trio effect. (I assume you played the third scout in the middle row to avoid Igni)

Thanks for these comments, they're very helpful. I've held off on crafting Nenneke because I've seen several people refer to her being bugged - what's the issue there?

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
My experience is that Cavalry are almost more trouble than they're worth even with the Foltest/Siege Support synergies. I get that I'll see more explosive starts as I rank up and hence they'll come out more consistently, but yeah I'd be surprised if you stuck with them.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Just played a hilarious game. Dude was way ahead in round 3 and played Villetretenmerth, reasonably expecting my last 3 cards to be Reaver Hunters - except I never drew any. Instead they were two Reaver Scouts with no valid targets, and a Triss Merigold that I had to blast my own guy with to ensure Villetretenmerth couldn't hit it. Poor guy fried his own board and lost by a single point.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

D.Ork Bimboolean posted:

This is really the core of card advantage in any CCG.

Opened a new account, pure F2P, that I plan on only playing Northern Realms on it. Finished the challenges and not even level 10 from casual yet, but going into ranked soon.

Any suggestions on where to go next with this? I assume save scraps for a Operator, Shani, and other stuff:

Disclaimer: I'm still pretty new, but I'm focusing on NR too and have been playing/watching a lot in the last week so I'll add my two cents:

1. I would play almost anything ahead of the Light Cavalry. Especially at low ranks and without Thaler, you really can't get them to proc consistently. Aretuza Adept+Torrential Rain+Blue Stripes Commando is a nice package that gives even more deck thinning, or Temerian Infantryman even.

2. Shani isn't played at all in a lot of the really high ranked NR decks. I certainly wouldn't craft her first, you already have decent golds. Operator/Reinforcement/Dethmold are way higher priority and some of your silvers suck balls. Probably even Cleaver would be an upgrade IMO.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Got nearly 4k scraps without any shenanigans at all, just milled everything that was nerfed. Pretty much enough to build one full deck, just got to make a good decision as to which one..

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

No Wave posted:

Remember, at least until the open beta ends: Do NOT press that mill spare cards button! I just got 6000+ extra scrap because of the nerfed duplicates I could mill.

Until I have at least one properly competitive deck I value 1000 scraps now over 2000 scraps later.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Why do people always leave Crones so late? A 20 power swing in round 1 is really nice and it has the added benefit of not loving up your later mulligans. Am I missing something?

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/21943-wangid1

This deck got rank 1 recently and seems kinda neat. Or play Skellige.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Lester Shy posted:

Did Spell Scoiatael get hit too hard by the recent nerfs to be viable? I just opened Ithlinne and I'm trying to decide if spending 1600 scrap to finish the deck is worth it. I haven't played a single Scioatael game, but I love annoying, non-interactive decks.

It's strong enough for multiple players to reach top 10 with.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Dagon does pretty well against Skellige..

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Consume Monsters is tier 1 IMO. Definitely is good against normal skellige, although axemen can be tricky.

Vranmouth eat the eggs.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Cnidaria posted:

Really the main problem with Nilfgaard is that it doesn't have the strength to be a top tier deck.

thats.. kind of a big problem

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Well the guy who just hit rank 1 heaped praise upon Ge'els. Another example of Big Twitch trying to control your thoughts? Or maybe.. it's actually good to pull a gold and a silver from your deck?

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Magic Underwear posted:

Are there any good decks that aren't going all in to win round 1? It's stupidly valuable because it makes spies really good and you control how long round 2 goes etc. I have this bad instinct of giving up round 1 for 1 CA and I'm getting screwed over. Semi-related but they really need to give some kind of bonus to the player that goes first in round 1. I heard a suggestion that the player that goes first r1 always goes second r3, it sounds good to me.

Also I can deal with cancer axemen and bears but I find kambi to be the stupidest thing ever. As far as I can tell unless you have exactly shackles or dbomb there isn't much way to win (aside from having last play and a big finisher like crones). At the very least it should trigger at the end of your turn so you always have the last chance to respond.

Amusingly based on the first paragraph, the best way to beat Kambi is to win r1 and bleed them r2 until they're forced to use key combo cards.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
For all the whinging, the game isn't in that bad a state from where I'm sitting. There are players of every faction at 4k mmr. Pretty sure it would take just a few well-placed tweaks to break things open.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

So It Goes posted:

I generally want less cards like crones and roach and the other blacklist cards in the game that have extremely high variance between the reward of being pulled from deck as a combo and the risk of being terrible if drawn. A lot of the best decks are always going to be the minefield of navigating risky mulligans. I know you can not play those cards but the point is a lot of them are so good you can't avoid playing them to climb ladder. I wouldn't mind more avallach type cards that can punish those builds and ideally make some of them less auto include.

:agreed:

Besides the frustrating RNG aspect, it also makes mulligans completely routine. There's no real decision-making involved in mulliganing Foglets or whatever, you just have to.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Subvisual Haze posted:

D.Shackles also completely wreck her, which more and more decks are carrying now.

I mean you're still 5 points up on the exchange, it's not that much of a blowout. Succubus is now a staple of Monsters decks and that's much worse to get shackled.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Yes

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

This current meta is so lame.

???

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

botany posted:

Okay, I see. I'm not good enough either to say that one is better than the other, my reasoning was just that especially with all the deck thinning you should be able to draw into a witcher in R3 fairly reliably. I don't know, I might run your version a little bit and see how it works out. What is your typical R3 finisher?

Witchers are your round 3 finisher, typically worth 26-29 points which can pretty easily win you the round even if you start a card down.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Currently watching a 37 card NR deck battle a Scoiatael player with Swallow Potion in his deck. Both players top 50 global.

I don't think this game is figured out quite yet :)

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
At this point I'm like 99% sure Crones are a trap and should not be played. Getting one turn a few points above rate isn't worth half your silver slots and horrible mulligans.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
To expand on my last post and try to stimulate a bit of discussion (and brag a little I guess) I'll post my deck. It's not blazingly original but I haven't seen anything quite like it.

from ~3k-3200 RIP nilfgaard

I really like most of the choices in here. No crones means you can put in some nice tech silvers and I can play foglets+frost dogs while almost never having a really brutal mulligan. I don't see myself going back. Random notes:

• Succubus and Bekkers Twisted Mirror are nutted in this meta. Huge axemen, huge ekimmaras, those annoying Scoiatael bronzes can face the wrath of my ridiculous 50+ point swing turn. Even in the "bad" matchups you can usually get acceptable value from these (I learned my lesson from one of the losses to not be too greedy with BTM), and the ceiling is sky-high.
  • Ciri is still really good. The nerf mattered, a bit, but it's still one of the only sources of true card advantage and there are no other golds I really want to run.
  • Cyprian is kind of medium. It shuts off deathrattles like Nekker or harpy eggs, is good value on Morkvarg in r1 etc. but it's one of the cards I'm less enthused about.
  • There could be some wiggle room in the bronzes. Drowner and the Bloodcurdling Roar have performed very well for me, but harpies are solid rather than great without consume synergies and I'm not a huge fan of the bronze fog either. If any of you have suggestions for replacing those or Cyprian I'd be interested in testing some stuff.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Crones are good, but they would be better if every single deck wasn't all-in on winning round 1 at all costs. If you can pop them in round 1, having a crone in hand is basically an extra gold worth of points, but the way the mulligan system works can really gently caress you over hardcore going into r2 and 3, and especially if the opponent is running Avallc'h.

Honestly though there just isn't a whole lot of competition for silver slots in monsters. Fiend and Water Hag are incredibly good, but you can run those and crones. Then you've got Katakan and Frightener, which are also really good. After that the quality starts to dip unless you are running a consume list, which has a few more options like the Toad and Monster Nest and stuff, but even then most of the top consume decks are just using the Crones / Fiend / Hag package.

Weather just doesn't have anything better, really. You're stuck with like, Jotun and Cyprian Wiley, which have some niche use but are way too inconsistent and generally get worse in later rounds, which is bad in a deck that already has quite a few cards that you don't really want to see in R3.

Have you tested Caretaker at all? He's been pretty good for me in a lot of matchups. If you manage to lock Morkvarg R1 you can steal him out of their graveyard, or yank one of their bears so it can't be revived. Against NR you can steal their dude that buffs everything by 1 + 1 armor, which is really fun with harpies and foglets. Once in a while you can interrupt someone's witcher combo or do something completely dumb like revive a shackled Hjalmar or something.

Every silver I play besides Cyprian is really good, like i said BTM is absurd right now. Probably won 4-5 of those games off its strength alone. And crones wouldn't just force me to cut, say, Katakan and Fiend (which i don't want to do) but also the frost dogs that I really like. I actually am considering cutting a harpy and the fog for a third frost+dog, 5 power + frost + deck thinning is better than any other option I can think of.

I have tried Caretaker, it's quite good. Whether it's better than Ciri I really don't know.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

No Wave posted:

I certainly don't buy into the thinning argument for crones (thinning your deck of silvers to get to your... bronzes?) but their place in weather and consume makes sense. Both decks play cards that generate value over longer intervals (vran warrior, frost hounds, etc so getting 20 in one turn is reaply important if someone passes on you early.

Of course that doesn't always happen anymore and you often play out your whole hand round 1. But still, point stands.

That said there are really good silvers even in monsters. Toadgierd especialy is nasty.

I wonder if it'd be crazy to play Toadgierd in weather monsters. Okay, I don't have any Nekkers to buff, but is that really such a big deal?

Only problem is which other silver to cut besides Cyprian. I feel like my least favourite is Katakan, but that fills some of the gap Crones leave by being a big one-turn play (and can randomly hose Queensguard players, or eat a NR's witcher or something).

Subvisual Haze posted:

Bringing in crones and the foglets makes for such awkward round one mulligans.

Awkward seems too mild - it's legitimately game-losing. Even when you don't draw into a second crone and go "whew, that went ok" all you did in your mulligan phase was not get completely screwed. It is actually nice to be able to shape your hand somewhat for the matchup.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I know monsters is probably overpowered and overplayed I directly blame you dicks for shooting it into the ground you dicks, why has your net deck deck forsaken me, I haven't even looked at netdeck I've lost 4 out of 5. Now I'm going to have to play Griffin's and anti weather Karma weather and also weather.

Do you... are you okay? Should we call someone? :ohdear:

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Monsters are as good as Skellige right now.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Electronico6 posted:

Axemen, Shieldmaidens, Hjalmar, and renewed Hjalmar put Skellige a cut above still.

This is a very popular view, but I don't know why. #1 on the ladder is a monsters player who got there on the back of making GBS threads on Axemen. The top 20 is full of monsters players. I personally climbed to rank 17 with weather monsters, with a positive winrate against every faction, and I know drat well that I played badly and lost more than a few games to boneheaded mistakes. Apparently losing to Monsters feels better to people somehow but it's just as nerf-worthy as far as I'm concerned. Succubus in particular is a hosed up card, apparently it was a meme before I started playing but it's a large-to-ridiculously-enormous point swing and there is no reliable counter to it.

The most played deck isn't automatically the best deck. But fear not Skellige-haters, I'm pretty confident the faction is going to get poo poo on Nilfgaard style.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Well those changes were pretty extreme holy moly.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Consume isn't dead but it is a bit weaker abd NR was already a bad matchup.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Relentlessboredomm posted:

How is it weaker? And I've had mixed success against NR, it's not as rough as matchup as monster weather.

Well, harpy and succubus are certainly nerfed. Most people were playing the hybrid version so Eredin/Dagon, Caranthir are also hurt.

I suppose people will go back to playing the Unseen Elder pure consume version which may indeed be very good with weather so nerfed. I still think you're gonna get hosed by machines if NR is popular.

King Pawn fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 4, 2017

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Trogdos! posted:

However, going from 1 card down to 2 down to win an otherwise tied round probably isn't going to end well for you.

Well, you're probably playing the last round one card down either way. It really depends on the specific situation.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
After milling all of my nerfed cards I went to delete my old decks. The axemen deck had 6 cards left in it. I think it's dead.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Superjj just got rank 1 with Unseen Elder consume monsters, ladder's gonna be stuffed with them for the next few days. What's good against that poo poo?

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
It got buffed a lot and people like Nilfgaard for whatever reason. The people netdecking really hard are either on consume monsters or Swim's spell dwarves thing.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Trogdos! posted:

I disagree that it got "buffed a lot". My reveal list gained a whopping 3 more total points and Bonhart's maximum potential was nerfed. Reveal was underrated and decent before the patch and continues to be just that, decent. People have just latched onto the next thing highlighted by the patch notes after turning their SK decks into scrap.

I'm happy that succ disappeared from the meta, though.

Yeah, I put that poorly. Nilfgaard is the only faction I haven't really played yet so I was talking out of my rear end a bit.

Why is Serrit not played, by the way? Just on the face of it the power level seems very high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Got up to 3500 with Radovid Control which has good matchups against both consume monsters and dwarves, although I think it's too underpowered to be a tier 1 deck.