Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Subvisual Haze posted:

people have been tossing around using Emhyr instead of Calveit in a spy deck. The main strategy seems to using Emhyr to reuse your VV Medics or Celleach which in turn triggers the impera brigade and enforcer synergy as much as possible. Could potentially work.

Can't say this is weirder than the Morvran Mill Reveal that is doing the rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Subvisual Haze posted:

Haha, I kind of assumed someone at CDPR took away his reddit account the last time he went combative with everyone and declared GwentUp's winrate statistics to be a total fabrication for some reason.

He's a such a hilarious contrast with Burza, someone whose job it is to talk to the community and thus doesn't get involved in dumb internet slap fights and instead just states how much he likes silly Gwent memes or assure us that issues are being "looked at".

He was right about Gwentup though. King Bran was doing a lot better than the reports were showing.

But regardless more of these card games should have their lead designers talk trash to reddit fools.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

This seasons ends on the 31st of October as per the schedule of the Gwent masters/Pro Ladder.

Thronebreaker is to be released when the game moves into full release. hopefully still this year but who knows at this point :v:

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Rethaz is a brave man for going after both Twitch chat and Reddit. All he needs now is some twitter feuds.

It seems too that CDPR changed the mulligan system and didn't tell anyone, so the image on the OP is wrong now. It no longer works like that. Instead when you blacklist a card during the mulligan, the copies that were in the deck(not the ones you mulligan) get moved up on the list, or something? The mulligan in this game is both the best and the worst at times.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

ShowTime posted:

I'll update the OP. Does anyone know exactly how the mulligan system works so I can update correctly?

Some dude on reddit is crushing some numbers, so far his conclusions are this:

quote:

Conclusion: The original mulligan bug (The one that makes you 2x as likely to redraw Crones, etc.) is likely gone. Unique cards will only be drawn with the same frequency as every other card. The mulligan bug that remains isn't really a bug - it relates to the other copies of the card in your deck moving up in the deck, while not being able to be drawn due to blacklisting.

What does this mean?: Actually it doesn't mean anything, lets say you are running 3x Harpy and find one if your opening hand, you can either:

A) Mulligan the Harpy early, thereby increasing the chance the top card(s) of your deck are Harpy(s). You need to pull these harpies out of your deck before you draw, or you will have to waste your mulligan putting them back into your deck.
B) Mulligan the Harpy last, and draw the Harpy(s) that are on top of your deck as a redraw instead. You can mulligan these harpies away later, but they will waste mulligans.

The Harpy that you mulligan from your hand will be shuffled back into your deck after the redraw.

How can CDPR fix this:

Make it so that anything that spawns a random X from your deck will instead take the top X from your deck. This will generally reduce the chance of cards like Harpy, Biting Frost (Wild Hunt Hound), Dwarves (Dwarven Agitator), etc. being redrawn after you've pulled two out of your deck.
Shuffle the deck after the initial mulligan - This won't help the bug's case past round 1, and also might negatively impact some design space of cards that interact with being mulliganned from your opening hand.

I guess it's going to take sometime until more people actual do more tests, but we do know now via Rethaz that mulligan no longer works like it use to.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Subvisual Haze posted:

To dramatically win an internet argument against someone who is complaining about at a thing that has actually been stealth fixed?

The way they do and don't disclose information is so bizarre, its reactive instead of proactive. In a perverse way it encourages people to complain because that seems to be the best method to gain additional information about the game.

People didn't figure out blacklisting during the first 3-4 months of CB. Once Swim and others started to write and make videos about it, people started to notice that you tended to draw muligan cards more often. Because nobody knew better it was called a bug. People are still calling it Mulligan Bug today, despite Rethaz saying it was working as intended, because ofc it has to be a bug, why would a dev do that. :downs:

The game is filled with these weird interactions that aren't documented, and the only way to figure them out is extensive testing. Like how Nilfgaard Knight doesn't actually do what it says it do. He doesn't reveal a random card on your hand, he reveals a random card based on colour. So if you have bronzes, he will always reveal a bronze, if you have Silvers or Golds but no bronzes, he will always reveal the silver.

Same thing with what triggers before what. Like during Gwentslam, none of the casters knew what triggered first, drought weather effect or Dol Blathana Trapper fireball trap.(And I can't remember what triggered first now either :v:)

No Wave posted:

Sweet. That's exactly what I'd assumed. The simplest solution is to reshuffle blacklisted cards as you draw them instead of drawing around them - you could even graphically show this occurring. But it does have some gameplay consequences (the Guardian being the simplest example). As is this mull change solves a significant part of the problem.

Cantarella too, as an example that is played more often. If you decide to not draw the first card, that one goes to the bottom, if the deck is shuffled, then welp.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Captainicus posted:

Holy smokes, is this actually true? That'd make a deck with nilfgaard knights, combined with footsoldiers and fire scorpions, way better than it seems. I haven't played nilfgaard knight in forever, nor have my opponents, so I've never noticed this...

It's how it works and nobody seemed to have noticed until Lifecoach started to goof around with reveal, 4 weeks ago or so. I think Garunah also came to a similar conclusion early on last season, but he never did the testing like Lifecoach.

At first he was convinced that there was a hidden bonus that Nilfgaard Knights revealed cards that benefited from the effect(Foot Soldiers, Scorpion). After a bunch of test runs, he concluded that there was no hidden bonus and that the Knight did randomly reveal a card but there is a order of reveal, first bronzes, if no bronzes then silvers, if none then golds. Once you know this, it's the sort of thing you will never not notice, and start to take in account.

This means if your hand is 1 spotter, 1 knight and Geralt, you can just go ahead and concede, there is no 50-50.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Oh hey outta nowhere Dev Stream tomorrow for next patch. NR and hailstorm nerfs most likely, maybe more stuff on the tech patch CDPR has been teasing for over a month, or that ale festival thing.

https://twitter.com/PlayGwent/status/912690610880073733

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Patch is out, and so is the Festival.

quote:

New features

Mahakam Ale Festival Event has started!
It is now possible to change which card is displayed in the Player Profile!
Several more units are now Agile (can be played on any row).
Completing single player challenges will now grant experience points. Players who had completed them before the patch will receive the experience retroactively.

Neutral/General

Merigold's Hailstorm will now only Damage Bronze and Silver Units.
Clear Skies will now also Boost any Damaged Ally under Weather by 1.
School of the Wolf: Eskel Power changed from 5 to 6.

Monsters

Harpy's Counter will now only react to non-Spying Allied Beasts.
Dagon Power changed from 6 to 5.
Wild Hunt Navigator has gained the following Category tags: Mage
Griffin Power changed from 8 to 9.
Wild Hunt Hound Power changed from 3 to 4.
Wild Hunt Rider Power changed from 8 to 9.

Skellige

Restore will now Resurrect a Bronze or Silver Unit from your Graveyard and set its Base Power to 10.
Blueboy Lugos Power changed from 7 to 8.
War Longship Power changed from 6 to 7.
Clan Brokvar Archer Power changed from 7 to 8.
Clan an Craite Warrior Power changed from 10 to 11.
Clan Brokvar Hunter Power changed from 5 to 6.
Clan Tuirseach Axeman Power changed from 4 to 5.

Northern Realms

Battering Ram will now Damage an Enemy by 2 instead of 3. Also, if it was Destroyed, it will Damage another Enemy by 3 instead of 2.
Blue Stripes Commando will now be played from Deck only when a different Temerian Ally with the same Power is be played.
Shani will now add 2 Armor instead of 5 to the Resurrected Unit.
Prince Stennis will now gain 3 Armor instead of 5.
Nenneke will now only be able to shuffle Units from your Graveyard into your Deck.
Foltest Power changed from 4 to 5.
Dijkstra Power changed from 3 to 4.
Dun Banner Heavy Cavalry Power changed from 8 to 7.
Reaver Hunter Power changed from 4 to 5.

Scoia'tael

Francesca has gained the following Category tags: Mage
Mahakam Marauder Power changed from 8 to 7.

Nilfgaard

Morvran Voorhis Power changed from 6 to 7.
Emhyr var Emreis Power changed from 6 to 7.
Tibor Eggebracht Power changed from 8 to 10.
Alba Armored Cavalry Power changed from 3 to 4.

Some stealth nerfs to NR with Battering Ram and Blue Stripe Commandos.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

There's a new option to disable premium animations for those with bad PCs or console plebs. Which is cool I suppose, however this means some 'people will no longer see your poor life decisionscool movie cards.

Now if there was a way to disable Chinese players so my games won't lag and disconnect all the time.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

I like the beerstein border that you get from the expert challenge. Way more cool that 1-1000 leaderboard borders, even if it won't be as rare.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Skellige is in a weird place right. It seems to have gotten itself out of the dumpster, but it's all thanks to one card, Restore.

Monsters is still the best faction to start out and build your collection. Eredin is decent and you can build a more control focused deck or try out all those swarm decks around, and if you strugglin,g Dagon+Woodland Spirit+23 random cards can carry you to 4K.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Wolfsbane should just buff/hit the lowest/highest unit on the board, so it can enable the best worst plays from both players every 3rd turn.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

No Wave posted:

I assume it only goes off once. Please tell me it only goes off once.

It works like Bork and other timer cards, so it should just go off once.

Still it would be better as a weird broken card that can make games go spectacularly wrong by having no ally/enemy tags, instead of a straight Skellige Discard buff, or Johnny nonsense.

Edit: Also I see people complaining about the new reveal soldier man. It's a pretty decent card and better than Serrit, but I'm not sure if we're getting the long awaited T1 Reveal deck out of it.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 31, 2017

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

No Wave posted:

It's a pretty disgusting combo with Cynthia but the counterplay is simple, I guess.

Yeah the current uses is hitting your own Cantarella, which is okay. With Cynthia most of the times the strongest unit on your opponent hand is their spy so it's whatever.

Also how many of these dudes do you actually run? Do you run all 3 and drop the old Spotter->Geralt combo, do you drop Mangonels or Fire Scorpions? Do you just add a Special Card so you can always have a 10 power bronze, and if so isn't the Knight already better?

Your worst match ups are most likely going to be Skellige and Monsters both don't really have big units on their hand that they are willing to hold on and not just drop the moment you reveal, so eh? The card looks powerful and has good uses, and I think in the low ranks is going to bully around some people, but I'm not sure if it's the broken card everyone is creaming their pants about.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Minrad posted:

"We're pushing back our content releases. We're gonna release content faster."

Wow, great update CDPR.

Well to be fair, it says they are pushing back single player content, and want to release multiplayer content faster. No mention of new MP mode on that list though.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Megazver posted:

I just checked and they're studiously avoiding putting any Toussaint-related cards into Nilfgaard or any other faction for that matter, right?

Anna Henrietta is going to be the 4th leader of Nilfgaard, unless they changed plans, so they going to add the Toussaint roster together with her all in one go for lore friendliness and synergy reasons.

But in the end all you going to play as NG is Spies, but now with Anna.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

frajaq posted:

drat they really want Gwent to be a thing huh

did they ever ask the salty writer of the Witcher book series how he felt about the card game?

The games popularity renewed the interest in the IP and a netflix series is in production with him getting an EP credit, so the old man is doing alright.

(He is still salty as gently caress, cause he sold the rights to CDPR for like 5 bucks and now CDPR is printing mad dollars out of The Witcher)

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

2nd day of Challenger already underway. Hoping for more crazy matches like yesterdays final Gameking vs Lifecoach

https://www.twitch.tv/cdprojektred

Also still find it amusing that CDPR got McCree to host their card game tourney.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Minrad posted:

Gimmick deck idea: Alchemy Nilfgaard deck that uses the new spy leader to King Bran out a Wolfsbane and two Crow's Eyes, then relies on the standard nilfgaard alchemy package + new cards.

You don't get all leaders to choose from with Usurper. Just 3 random ones.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Minrad posted:

Mulligan is now called Swap. There's also a dorf card they forgot to reveal ?

This card is a lot better than all the other factions 3 str summon all copies of this unit cards.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

They also changed twitch drops:

The requirement of 100 or more concurrent viewers for the stream to award GWENT Twitch Drops has now been removed. The chance to receive drops is the same across all channels that have enabled it, no matter how big or small.

Twitch drops will not be active on Vodcasts.

Not sure this makes any difference cause I got sweet gently caress all from their two streams this weekend.

frajaq posted:

did PTR really only last one day

lmao

lol CDPR. Still haven't managed to get a good grip on how to manage a live multiplayer game.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Minrad posted:

don't forget that they did this mid season so nobody got their end of season kegs

but be sure to visit the shop for the new Holiday Sale!

ha

hah

And the new leader challengers weren't ready to be released with the patch, and can only be obtainable through scraps. Also if you want to play Consume Monsters you gotta craft Arachas Queen.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

This has been in the game since the first patch in CB, so people wouldnt exploit the GG system.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Estraysian posted:

Game is certainly in a better state now but I really hope we get some info about Thronebreaker or draft mode or something soon.

There's a dev stream tomorrow, which apparently is going to be the new game mode reveal.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

botany posted:

i broke down and bought a beta key for 4 bucks, so now i do :v:

the whole UI as of now is pretty badly explained and i have questions, so a thread would be nice.

There's the Magic thread in Traditional Games, and plenty of folk in there have access to Arena and are happy to talk about it. Only thing is that it's 100% a general MTG thread, so it's mostly people complaining about card prices, talking about their favorite format that nobody else plays, and goons not knowing how to play the game.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 18, 2018

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

The boards do look better in the video and in motion. They're filled with shadow, lighting, particle, and fog effects, it's also clear that some boards are suppose to have a more *spooky* atmosphere or being set at night. The card art is quite clear and with just two rows the cards seem to be bigger so they easy to identity. Still the card borders need to retouched to distinguish them better.

Thronebreaker looks nice too.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Nilfgaard has always been the bad guys in the witcher. Problem is that W3 had a bunch of content cut and a lot of it was in regards to the Nilfgaard invasion, so all the hosed up poo poo like slavery isn't in. CDPR also toned down a lot the Emperor for the game, whom in the books wants to have sex with his own daughter to create the ubermensch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

I think it's one of those things one might find hard to understand if your country doesn't have a long history of being constantly erased by and absorbed into different Empires throughout it's history.