Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm trying to do a beginner Nilfgaardian deck. I only played 2-3 hours in the first weeks at the start of the closed beta, way before important changes, several months ago, so I'm basically a noob.

What I have:

quote:

and from the neutrals:

quote:

Any possible decent deck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Thanks for the advice, guys.

No Wave posted:

Unlock Calveit and Morvran first in Challenges either way.

And yeah, I'm in the process of playing all the Challenges. It's just that Nilf is at the bottom so I haven't reached them.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

Dagon is insanely more difficult than any of the other tutorial/challenges. The other ones you barely have to read what your cards do, Dagon gets like 40 strength in turn 2 while having approximately 200 weather cards in his deck.

I totally agree. The combination of weather focused deck, NrN card and other high level cards put in there makes it much harder.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I ended up doing a Nilf deck based 1/3 on Revealing and 2/3 on buffing + resilience. It's pretty gimmicky as it can be defeated with a single Scorch or lock, but at low levels it's good enough. Right now I'm winning more than losing.

The revealing part: 2 Alchemists, 3 Daerlan soldiers, Operator (which will duplicate a Daerlan or an Alchemist, depending of what I need), Vattier, 3 Knights (which usually also is the target of the buffing part). I found that I have enough revealing with that, I don't need Morvran.
The buff part: the mentioned knights, Ambassors to buff, Emissaries to thin, Vicovaro novices to more thinning and buffing, Vicovaro medics to recover some of the spies and repeat the same or to take important enemy units, 2 combat engineers to give resilience, Decoy & Cahir & Emhir to repeat some of the deploy effects.
Also Aeromancy + White Frost combo, weather can't be ignored.

I still don't have spotters, mangonels or fire scorpions to do a pure reveal deck.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I love all the Witcher stuff, but I never played Gwent in W3. Looking at some videos this seems like it's much more interesting than hearthstone and such. Guess I'll give it a shot. Are there(or going to be) a shitload of different cards to build decks with? I like variety.

Possibly!

There are five factions, each one will have 3 different styles of play.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I would like to have more details of my profile, things like history of matches, Win/lose ratio, % of games played with every faction, etc. I hope they implement that stuff at some point.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

No Wave posted:

The frost nerf is actually much smaller than I thought at first. Does it deal 2 damage to a single unit as well?

If a row has, for example, 4 cards, it can make half the damage. From 4 points to 2 points. That's a decent nerf.

In any case frost was annoying precisely in rows with a good amount of units (4-7 cards), that's the part they are nerfing.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I'm actually a little worried that they might be too generous with this game. It's already way, way faster to put together a deck than in Hearthstone, which is probably a good thing for retaining new players. But boosting the mill value of cards seems like it might be a bad idea - just comparing it to Hearthstone, you have:

Significantly cheaper to craft cards
Smaller deck size
Smaller overall card pool
Smaller and less frequent expansions (from what it sounds like, maybe this is wrong?)
Easy to get 2 kegs per day vs like .5 packs a day average in HS

I'm probably missing something else, but I guess I'm wondering how they plan to keep people spending money when it already seems like drat near everyone I play against has a fully loaded netdeck and the game isn't even officially out yet. This game is a lot of fun so far, so I'm hoping they have a good model for keeping it going.

Hah, we have pretty different meaning of 'generous'.

To win 18 rounds of Gwent (for two kegs) you need to play around two hours every day. That's a lot. Don't you people work, or go out, or read books, or play other videogames? Stop playing 5 hours of Gwent
And even with two kegs, after the first 25 kegs or so, most of the cards will be duplicates. In my last 6 kegs I didn't have any interesting card.

In other words, no, I don't think it's too generous. I would leave the game if it was anymore grindy.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I reached level 10, so I played a pair of ranked games to see what would happen...

Woah, so much more bullshit in comparison with casual :P :P. Tibors, Renewals, RNR, Draughts, etc. Lots of rare gold/silver cards I hadn't see appeared suddenly.

Also, today I noticed people having better decks against the typical NG decks.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Well, I'm going to have to abandon my Resilience NG deck. It's literally unplayable. Scorch, Igni, locks, strength resets, strength reversals, and more everywhere. I think my last 6 opponents had each one 2-3 cards of the type.

I couldn't hold for the next round a 10+ strength card in the last 9 games or so.

Instead I will have to try to do a poor's man spy NG Caveilt deck.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mmm. It's interesting we are going to have an update on the update before it's released.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm sure as hell I will welcome the extra scrap in the new patch, because crafting seems the only way to get silvers or golds. I think my last 12 kegs or so have been only bronzes.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I have both Yennefer and Triss Butterfly gold cards, which are a nice buff for 'lots of units on the board' decks, so I will try to make a spam monster deck with them. But I don't have Iris, or the full crones, or Geels or or Caretaker anything fancy like that. Let's see what I can do then with good ol' commander's horns and thunderbolt potions...

I have some fire scorpions and mangonels now, maybe I can try a true reveal deck.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lol, I'm finding more bullshit matches now, not less, in comparison with before. The reason, despite having a balance patch? The extra scrap everyone has, people are using it to craft the most OP cards so they appear even at lower levels. I had 2 Tibors in 3 matches, and I had barely fought against him before.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

adhuin posted:

Have you considered crafting your own Tibor? (or another Power-Rare your deck could use)

Yes, yes... just commenting the status of the game right now.

I'm actually waiting a few days until the dust clears up to see what's best to craft.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Gorp posted:

Ever seen 3 foglets and 3 crones in your starting hand?
I feel sick.

Lol.

Some people curse the RNG and say it's bad design, but imo it isn't. It's actually a drawback to trying to 'game the system' and be super efficient.
People are literally putting the risk and the rng in their decks by themselves. They could instead put a less efficient but more secure card.

---

Pure reveal deck is fun. Three wins out of three today, even lacking Tibor and other legendary NG cards, although I got not very good rivals today.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Help me polish my Reveal deck, guys

I would like to replace the White Frost (which usually is cleared next turn, so the damage isn't high) with something else. With whatever, I have scrap so I can craft. Options: Cantarella, Cynthia, Guardian?
Before I had in that slot the Bekker's Twisted Mirror because it's a fun card and I got it a few days ago so there was a novelty aspect, but it wasn't a very synergistic with my deck, as there are some opponent decks with 1 strength cards (medics) but I didn't have, and I have some high strength cards like the Spotters, so sometimes it was very tricky using it, even if I planned ahead.

Maybe putting a simple Scorch or Decoy (to replay Vanhemar, Auckes or Peter) would be a better option.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

King Pawn posted:

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/21943-wangid1

This deck got rank 1 recently and seems kinda neat. Or play Skellige.

The bear thing is a meme, I think. As good as they are now, they are beatable. The truth is, consume monsters, weather monsters and machine NR has reached the top positions of the ranks.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Electronico6 posted:

It's all about those Axemen.

I know them, and yes, there is a very good synergy between them. Still: Locks, twisted mirror, succubus, scorch, gigni, Dudu, rot tosser spam, Villent, Letho, etc.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Electronico6 posted:

Who is playing dudu?

Lol. Ok, I don't play it either, but hey, if there is an Axeman meta, he can be useful!

Improved version of my NG reveal deck:

I went it hard and In the end I crafted not only Cynthia but Leo too, and both have reveal effects. Leo is particularly strong with this deck, as I have 2 10 str cards and the 3 spotters can be 13-14 at the end of the match. With that much focus on reveal, it made sense to put the third Spotter. I also put the third golem, and focused more on Fire Scorpions than Mangonels, after reflecting how Mangonels are theoretically stronger with the proper setup but half of the time they are destroyed, or locked or they pass the round, so in the end I think Scorpions are better.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Rank 9 yayy!

I want to reach rank 10, once I do that I will be at peace with myself.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

drat, I played against a Spell NG deck which totally countered me. My siege machines, my silver cards and Leo didn't have a target to damage.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I don't have a problem with the SK meta, as my NF reveal beats it without a problem :P.
4 siege machines that do damage, 2 locks from Auckes, 1 reset from Peter, 9-13 damage from Leo Bornharlt, a Frost or a Tremmors from Vanhemmar, thinning with Imperial Golems so I have better chance to play the ones I described, and I can control them.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

drat, I reached rank level 10 and lose 3 matches in a row. Things aren't so easy now.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Electronico6 posted:

I think Swim must be playing some kind of long con with his viewers and the Gwentdb community at large. He starts the meta with a pair of great and meta-defining decks gaining respect and brand, then proceeds to create an ever increasing series of dumb and bad decks that people blindly netdeck. His current NG Letho deck is something you hang in a museum. Beautiful.

He seems the type he likes to discover new combos and do creative decks. Obviously that means he doesn't search the most efficient deck.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Normal Adult Human posted:

the best way to play gwent is to netdeck and then randomly pick four cards to replace.

I know you joke, but imo the way Gwent plays, 3-4 different cards in a deck makes it feel different enough. Hell, it's thanks to that the game still isn't repetitive.

I can play 3 machine NR decks in a row, and it's ok because one has a Geralt Igni, Dandelion and Neneke, another uses Aretuza Adepts and a Thunderbolt Potion, and another Renew, Siege Platforms + Trebuchets over the typical Siege Supports + Ballistas, each one feels as their own twist in the same theme, and obviously the order of the cards makes more differences.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I would like to try out the machine NR deck, but I'm missing both Dandelion and the three Witchers and that's the core part to win one of the two rounds.

Last card I crafted was renew because it seemed more universal in use.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I finally reached rank 11!!

With that I think I can leave my NG Reveal deck, and try other things. Maybe some gimmick decks in casual mode.

Or at least that was my plan. The reward for rank 11 is 4 kegs. The first gave me Morkvarg. The second Gremist. And the the third an Axeman (with that, now I have three).
It's like the game is saying me to fall into temptation and do a SK deck like everyone else...

Is this not-poo poo?

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at Jun 21, 2017 around 17:57

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Not sure if I agree... I think people in general are undervaluing NG reveal deck. A full reveal deck with the good cards has both good strength and control. I won with it or went toe to toe with decks that afterwards were considered in the as top 3 in gwentdb.
Hell the table doesn't make any sense. This deck is on the other hand very vulnerable against ST spell deck as there are barely any targets for your scorpions, other damage like Leo, locks and other abilities, but here they have market it as 'favorable (green).

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at Jun 23, 2017 around 14:03

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I ranked up to 12 today!

I'm using an Axeman SK deck, though funnily the Axemen just help a bit, 2/3 of the games I win is because another combo: Hjalmar / Renew / Decree. Lots of times I get to play Hjalmar in rounds 2 and 3 with that. Usually in one round I kill the giant with weather/maidens and in the other with Alzur's Thunder.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

EvanTH posted:

One of the first things I did around level 2 was play a game where the final round with one card left I managed to pull a Royal Decree after having played all three other golds

I immediately milled the Royal Decree on the assumption that no complete deck would ever use it instead of a 4th gold. I mighta been kinda right, but I didn't realize how useful it'd be in the intermediate stages before I could afford the actual golds I'm trying to use in the final version hah oops dangit

Anyhow I'm posting again about how bad the deck builder/collection interface is. I keep finding more stuff that's poo poo about it, amazing. DID YOU KNOW if you change the filter to "owned" the option to transmute your cards temporarily disappears? Wow! Owned indeed

Three different designs for the Trio cards is fun, yet also annoying to collect 9 of one card before it auto-mills.

Roytal Decree gives you twice the chance to obtain one of the three other gold cards. If your strategy is bases in playing always one of those gold cards because you need it for a combo, then it's a very good card.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm starting to think the problem that is having a pc game with cross-platfrom with the consoles. I feel as if the balance patches could come much faster if not because consoles have the cert process.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

botany posted:

Frost will probably be changed to damage highest & lowest unit on the row by one, to bring it back in line with Fog and Rain. I'd be okay with that.

Bears should really be 5 strength, Axemen become less of an issue if Frost is changed, Hjalmar should lose one or two points as well, the card is ridiculous with Skellige's easy access to damage. Alternatively the LoU could simply be buffed to 7 and Skellige would immediately be less dominant.

This is exactly what I also thought. Nerf frost slightly with highest & lowest, and you are nerfing slightly Axemen, too. Drop 1 point of Bears and they can be removed a bit more easily. Finally make Hjalmar more in line with other gold cards. That's it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Well, finally

rank 13 was harder than 11 or 12, lots of ups and downs.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Syrinxx posted:

I just started this and although I have been playing CCGs for a long rear end time I have been struggling a lot. It seems like the starter decks are pretty much poo poo and I can't make any headway with pve challenges or pvp. I'm willing to put some cash in but I was wondering around how many kegs I need to at least reach the point I can get the daily keg without losing 12 games to do it?

Pves challenges are perfectly doable, most likely it's a question of grokking some game mechanics you still haven't assimilated fully.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Some Gold cards are out of control.

At first, like at the start of the closed beta, the nominal value of bronze cards was 8 strength, silvers was 10, and gold was 12-13. Or at least that was the plan.
Look at Triss, 7 + 5 dmg = 12.
Geralt, 10 or 13 strength = ~12 on average.
Cerys, 6, when resurrected another 6 = 12.
Draug, 7 value + 6 damage= 13.
That's how gold cards should be. But we definitively had 'power creep' in the game.

There are gold cards that are valued perfectly in ~20 points.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

King Pawn posted:

To expand on my last post and try to stimulate a bit of discussion (and brag a little I guess) I'll post my deck. It's not blazingly original but I haven't seen anything quite like it.

I've seen this type of deck lots of times, actually. Fog weather monster is popular. Obviously harpies are too in all monster decks, and the clearing-weather Griffin is a must in the actual meta. Caranthir, Succubus and Woodland Spirit are perhaps the most popular gold monster cards.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

lol just ran into a weather axemen deck that basically just ran Avallc'h, Hjalmar, Axemen + Operator, and like 50 loving weather cards, plus 3 shackles and that silver that toggles locks, just in case you think maybe you can shut them down.

Beginning to think maybe CDPR isn't all that great at designing card games.

Weather cards were a mistake.
And with that I mean the actual version that affects only the opponent row and do real instant damage in the same turn.

----

I was bored and now I'm trying to do a SK deck but without Axemen, Bears or abuse of weather. So basically I'm trying to do a deck with Queensguard and Shieldmaiden as the core.

quote:

But... right now it doesn't work. Because i have low damage I even have problems killing Hjalmar's giant, i have the Shieldmaiden but they need for the target to be wounded already to do all the damage.
so Any help with it?
Personally I'm more into playing the card game than in the deckbuilding aspect.

I was wondering if I should put some more damage or just skip Hjalmar and choose another gold.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

With some luck, they will have learned of their previous patch and how they overreacted as now NG is too weak, so this time the changes will be smaller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Well, they are overreacting again. From Frost affecting 5-7 cards or whatever amount in a row, to now only 1.
And if you nerf all the weather cards, why you nerf Aeromancy too? If they are less good, it isn't so bad to bring one from the graveyard, its' a silver.

The good thing is that with this design philosophy, we are going to have a 'new' game every month!

«3 »