Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Magic Underwear posted:

In what universe is anyone going to spend a bronze card on an effect that can't do more than two damage a turn. That is retarded, weather is dead.

They are gong to also nerf some high value bronze cards, otherwise, I think like you. Weather has to play for 5 turns to reach 10 damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kawabata posted:

huh, no, weather changes are mostly pretty good, they're simply lowering the power level of everything

True also, this seems a anti-power creep balance patch. 90% of them are nerfs.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

So It Goes posted:

At work, can someone summarize all the changes?

https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/6l20tt/dev_stream_summary_all_changes/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Magic Underwear posted:

Nithral is hilarious now. It's a 7 power silver that, only in concert with another card, does 1 damage a turn. Great job guys, he's almost as good as post-nerf savage bear.

And that extra damage can be stopped by clearing the weather or killing the unit!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oh, so Geralt Igni totally ignores the quen shield I gave to my spotters. 57 strength down the drain. GG.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Subvisual Haze posted:

Yeah, Shields protect against damaging effects, but not kill effects.

Does it protect from Reset effects?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I was netdecking the Spelldorfs deck, with some success. Then Nilfgaard came. Auckes + Decoy = 4 locks. Ugh, I can hold against 1 or 2, but not against that many.
Then in another game Auckes + Peter + Letho + Dimeritium Bomb = 6 high value cards totally screwed.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Heh. Yep, karma.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hah hah, I was sure I was going to win with my three 18 strength Spotters in the three separate rows. The opponent had one card left, but I had enough overhead in points to win even if that card was G:Igni. Well, it wasn't, it was Scorch. Who the hell runs Scorch and not GIgni??
So it killed the three spotters, of course, and I lost the game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I finally crafted the three crones, now I should be able to play some consume decks...

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I hadn't played the last week. As I had read the meta now is Monster deck and especially Dagon I built for myself a half crippled Dagon semi-weather deck. I don't have Caranthir, Geels, Caretaker or Woodland Spirit, for example.
Even then I just won 6 games in a row, four of them in ranked. It's hilarious how this unoptimized deck I slapper together in a minute works because the meta right now isn't using clear skies because weather in theory wasn't worth it anymore.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dwarves deck wasn't never that good. I've had opponents that could beat it in total strength value without teching against it, because their synergi combo was even stronger than mine.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I was thinking how, in a way, their generosity in Ranked is a caused of why people netdeck/use the 'cheap' popular decks of the moments so much.
If I would win something silly like cosmetic items I wouldn't care as much about winning, however the reality is that for example with rank 15 you get 6 kegs now and 16 more when the season ends. That's 22 kegs, that's an good incentive to play the most 'efficient' deck. Of course you always will have netdecking in a game like this, but maybe without the reward I would play more NR armor or elves or whatever.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I suppose I'm in a winning streak with my Eredin weather/crones deck. 85% winrate after 13 games. It uses earth elementals and harpies, but it isn't as swarmy as a proper swarm deck so it isn't as vulnerable to Lacerates, the power comes more from all the thunderbolt potions.
One thing it helped a lot was to include again Scorch in the deck, it's auto-include in any deck not based on super buffing a pair of units like in a Reveal/Spy/Consume/Axemen/dworf decks. edit: 80% now :/ after 20 matches.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 20, 2017

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

I suppose I'm in a winning streak with my Eredin weather/crones deck. 85% winrate after 13 games. It uses earth elementals and harpies, but it isn't as swarmy as a proper swarm deck so it isn't as vulnerable to Lacerates, the power comes more from all the thunderbolt potions.
One thing it helped a lot was to include again Scorch in the deck, it's auto-include in any deck not based on super buffing a pair of units like in a Reveal/Spy/Consume/Axemen/dworf decks. edit: 80% now :/ after 20 matches.

And done:

First time in a game I play in Ranked so much.
Not bad, as I didn't play hundreds of hours (only 70h for now) nor I spend lots of moneys (just 15 bucks at the start of the closed beta).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

If you think about it, at least Monsters have a good amount of variety. Eredin frost decks, Dagon fog decks, swarm/token decks, Consume decks, and variations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Changes kind of announced in big gaming convention in China
https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/6pmmu3/new_cards_from_chinajoy_and_translations/ edit: damnit, i had this written but unpublished while I was reading it!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

10 seconds usually?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

...Well, this patch was big in the number of changes, we knew it was bounded to be unbalanced as hell.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

No Wave posted:

Pro ladder was genius. Keep these tryhard netdeck "pilots" out of my fun card game thx.

If you weren't a tryhard competitive player you would never interact with them in the first place, matchmaking works and it only puts you with people of very similar ELO.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

What I didn't know until I read some impressions today is that, beyond doing the coinflip mechanics, reducing the rows to two, and putting the provision mechanics, they also have removed mechanics like Armor and the buff/debuff effects (Strengthen and Weaken). Only these two already removes a good amount of strategies and variety the game had before.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Up Circle posted:

Does anyone know what happens to our ore and scraps when homecoming hits? should I spend it all on cards now or will they be carrying over?

I don't have any news they are disappearing. And if they are disappearing in favor of another material or currency, they will make the conversion for you.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I preordered it the other day, I had some spare money on my Paypal account.

Thronebreaker isn't expensive, if you also play Gwent, as it also includes 20 cards for Gwent you unlock while playing the campaign, 5 kegs, and there are achievements with reward points (see Minrad post about new progression system) for the Thronebreaker campaign, so playing it will also net you extra materials and cards.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

the_american_dream posted:

Is there a release date for PS4 I don’t think I’ve seen it

Don't quote me but I think it's coming on December??

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

They announced yesterday the new progress system for Gwent, and people are pretty happy about it
https://youtu.be/wmoGruycZRM?t=448

They maintain the daily win / daily quests system
And they have added a new prestige system, where every 60 levels your account gains a permanent booster, like gaining always a rare card or better in every keg. They also made levelling a bit faster as now the maximum effective level will be 660.

The ranked progression is also redone, but he novelties are the contract (achievement) system and the reward system.

There are lots of achievements to get, the UI is good (search by text, similar ones are grouped, you can showcase your favorite ones in your profile, you can pin up the ones you are trying to complete), and they give you reward points, which can be spend of the reward page:

It has several pages, they are themed on a faction and leader

And using the reward points you unlock a node, advancing in the lines in the way you want, getting resources on each point, and also free premium leader cards and faction kegs in the 'end' nodes.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Some of the puzzles and unique fights are super cool, very imaginative situations.
And the good writing and voice acting elevates the experience.

edit: the intro of both Gwent and Thronebreaker have the same protagonist, a mysterious prisoner who tells stories, while he is being transported by his captors, some mercenaries. I guess the will explain the meaning of that at the end of Thronebreaker.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 23, 2018

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

In what difficulty you are playing, people?

I selected Hard because I read in some review that it was a bit too easy. For now I played three hours and the game isn't hard, but I'm still in the first map, maybe from the second map onwards it will be harder.
I wonder if the difficulty affects somehow the puzzle encounters? They are very 'scripted', so I doubt it. Maybe in the next puzzle I will try to play it twice, on Normal and on Hard, to see if there is any changes.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

kloa posted:

Do the Thronebreaker puzzles only give Gwent cards? If so, I can skip them.

Why would yo skip one of the best parts of the game.

Also, the difference between Normal and Hard difficulties is that your cards have +2 power in Normal (in comparison with Hard mode).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I always saw a design flaw in Gwent, since the start.

Let's imagine they 1000 cards in the game, but because they have 5 separate factions, it means the deckbuilding is limited to 200 cards.

Now compare to Magic, or to the upcoming Artifact which works in a very similar way. There are five colors, and each one can be mixed. You can plan green, or black or red decks. Or green/black, blue/red, etc. The possibilities multiply a lot. Imagine if you could synergyze Skellige and NR, etc. When the meta establishes in Gwent, there are only two or three 'viable' decks per faction, in part because of this.

Well, it isn't exactly like I described in Gwent as there are neutral cards, still, the possibility space is much bigger in games where you can mix and match more freely. Of course, as they release more and more card expansions, it will be a less notable issue.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

TB spoilers

The fact that when Colwell leaves you, you receive a fake coin as his card replacement is a nice clue of his true nature.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

From the new Gwent, I'm not a fan of how 'capped' it feels in some aspects, like capped hand size or capped row size.

But for the rest, I like it. I like the Order system as a way to give a chance the opponent to remove the card if he thinks it's very valuable, basically the equivalent to summon sickness, but also they still keep the ability to play an effect immediately (deploy/zeal) for variety, or even play around with re-using the effect with Charges.

I like having different mulligans for leaders, and different number of uses of effects, it gives more variety between them.

I actually like having less consistency of the game, with a minimum of 25 cards on the decks and max 2 bronzes, although I know some people loved how consistent it was before. But for me, it was more like hyper-consistency, with decks playing very similarly between games, and the games themselves being too focused on deckbuilding (where you design your synergistic super combo of death based on a concept, like siege engines or consume or dwarf buff) and the games were more about putting your super combo on the board and the opponent doing the same, and he who had a better combo won. I mean, the game is still notably more consistent than other card games, but a lil' less than before.

Obviously having some kind of solution to the coin flip is good, too. Weather feels in a good spot, after so many iterations of being OP or UP.

edit: Swim shows 14 different good decks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lVNvzsTSME

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Almost 10 hours played of TB.

The game has the flaw, like The Wicher 3, of being too easy. Like, drat, how hard can be to put a very hard more that is challenging, for the veterans. And it isn’t like I’m a pro Gwent player, I played casually for two months close to one year ago, and except the puzzles, I’m beating the fights by a difference of 40-70 points, playing in Hard already.

BTW, Nilfgaard in this game seems to be a really evil empire in TB. Slaving people, burning entire cities, being cocky and mocking you, etc, and it’s a different tone than the one used in The Witcher 2/3, where they were presented in a bit more neutral guy, the bad guys, but more like, just another side in the war, not inherently evil.
The typical grey morality from The Witcher games is presented in hard decisions you have to take in a hard situation, and less in the characters or the setting itself. Meve is presented as very upright queen who will fight to the death the enemy, and I think it would have been interesting to remark more her flaws, she seems uncompromising to a fault, she is uptight, she doesn’t seem to be able to use a more broad perspective.

For example there was a moment that seemed funny to me, in her capital she exclaims, without a pinch of irony, how Nilfgaard will stole their freedoms if they surrender. Funny, because she said that as an absolute monarch! Her normal citizens will have as much freedom under Emhyr than under her.

Although, you know, there could be a way to reconcile everything; the story you play is a tale told by the guy from the intro. So it could be an ‘embellished’ tale, or a biased look or hearsay, not what happened in an objective way.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, the difficulty of the campaign is too easy. I don't even like hardcore games (Dark Souls eat all) but I would like to think a bit in combat and have to not do obvious mistakes. I'm doing decks without any synergy, just putting the new cards whenever I receive one, and even when I do a mistake I win. Just 5 minutes ago I misclicked with Meve's ability broad sword and instead of clicking on a 7 unit which had 3 copies (12 dmg), I clicked on a 1 power unit (1 dmg). It didn't matter, of course, 11 power difference is nothing when I'm beating them by 40-60 points.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Holy crap, this game is sometimes some Apocalypse Now poo poo, fantasy version. I'm talking of the forest in Aedirn. At least that's how I imagine her entering in the dark woods finding more and more twisted scenes, and the fight being more and more cruel. The writing is superb, and some of the scenes (the delirious wounded men tied to the tree being used as bait when suddenly the tree burst into flames, the field hospital in the cave, the burnt mill full of human skulls, the constant ambushes) are some of the most hard hitting stuff for Scoia'tel in the three Witcher games.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

General Morden posted:

artifacts are the new weather

artifact is ruining gwent!

Yes, and it's funny how it is exactly the same problem. Not just similar, but exactly the same. Again, they have done a set of special cards which normal units or normal abilities can't interact with them or counter them, except very few ones which the very specific ability to counter them ('clear skies' before, now 'destroy artifact'). Man is the only animal who trips twice over the same stone.

At least now they have better tools to fix it, they can adjust the provision cost. Other alternatives could be removing or changing each ability (removing zeal from the spear, putting a cooldown of one turn between uses...) or an idea I read somewhere which I liked: make all artifacts need a unit at its side to being able to use it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Is Trhonebreaker a bit buggy? I had three fights already that I won and I shouldn't have.
1. a puzzle fight with a water hag
2. a puzzle fight with Gascon using stealth to reach the bottom right corner. I won way before being close to that position.
3. the first fight against a monster nest in Mahakam. I barely played 3 cards, the enemy still had more cards to play and the nest still had 45 points or something like that. I think the interaction of the nest with one of the Meve's abilities insta-destroy it.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Oct 28, 2018

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Doltos posted:

Im disappointed with how unbelievably easy thronebreaker is. I'm winning every battle by hundreds of points

It's the biggest flaw of the game, it makes some parts of it a waste. They have bothered on designing even lots of non-story battles in an unique way, for example I just fought one with ghotss that could posses units and other spectres that would interact with the possession effect and... it doesn't matter. You can win without bothering on reading the opponent cards, nor looking at what cards he is playing, just making you power plays with your big cards. See my point? All that design work in the encounters is extraneous with the game being this easy.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Well, I haven't finished Thronebreaker but I'm at 3/4 done, I could well continue and finish it already.
The price of buying games on release day: more expensive and worse experience. :/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

No Wave posted:

Some cards are op which makes it dumber. The most op bronze card in the game, golden froth, is a card you can use FIVE times in a round in skellige (2x froth, gremist, triss, zoltan).

I "did well" on ladder last night running froth decks with nivellen and geralt:yrden to win the mirror (yrden gets decent value in most matchups anyways). It was not exactly skill-testing.

Artifact scorch decks are ofc disgusting, if you know exactly what they're doing and have artifact removal you have a chance but good luck staggering your units when they get three targeted pings a turn, and if you don't know exactly what they're doing you'll lose for free.

There's um a lot of work that needs to be done.

I was deckbuilding yesterday, and I saw a more expensive version of Golden Froth in provision cost, that needed two turns to apply the +2 instead of being instant. How could they not see that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The thing I dislike the most from nuGwent is the 3 draw card + 10 in hand limit combo. Sometimes I make a good play and think "cool I have the advantage now! I should be smart and make him waste cards... to have the upper hand later... oh wait, not anymore, you can go down to 4 cards and still have a full hand in Round 3".
I like most of other stuff. Except artifacts limited interaction, of course.