Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Mulligan ST is really, really fun. And just for general ST stuff, the swing you can generate by having both Saskia and Roach is pretty insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

I like you gwent goons, here's a fun deck I've been climbing with based on what I was able to open. Use crach to bring out morkvarg the magic unremoveable minion, then put all the buffs on morkvarg. It's surprisingly solid and it would be even better with the golden longship :pray:

I thought this looked fun so I put a similar one together with the cards I have available and while I realise it's by no means an accurate sample size, I have won 5 games in a row. Each time my opponent forfeiting in the second round... I feel kind of dirty but also I can't stop smiling. I only played briefly in the closed beta and didn't have/didn't come up against a Morkvarg as far as I can remember - was he as insane as he seems now? Because if you have either Cleaver to unlock him or literally any of the (good and freely available to Skellige) resurrect, you're always going to have this un-killable 12-18 strength card on the board, which is mostly nuts.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

No Wave posted:

He couldn't even be locked back then and it's a fair assumption that lock graveyard mechanics were implemented specifically as a response to Morkvarg.

I'm curious, how did locking and the graveyard function beforehand and how did it work with Morkvarg? As even in the game's current state I think it's a little strange (if probably necessary) that resurrection breaks locks.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

ShowTime posted:

I've been playing this deck and it's a lot of fun. Great against the current meta of lots of Skellige discard, Nilfgaard reveal/spy and Monster consume.

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/18501-calveit-control

I didn't write much of a guide and maybe will later after more playtesting. It's currently at above a 70% winrate. It basically opens up early, thins the poo poo out of the deck and leaves you with the absolute best of the best cards available to deal with whatever they play. Rot Tossers are amazing at just making your opponent either lose units or use one of their removals to deal with the carcass. Between the Scorch, Igni and Peter, any big unit they play can get dealt with. Tibor is basically your finisher and you can very reliably end the game with just 1-2 units left in the deck. Could probably get 1 first light and the knights are just there as a big unit, but if I had a better idea of what to use for a big swing i'd put those in.

I just ran into a similar deck to this and got utterly stomped. The opening of Calveit into golems and a Tibor is a 1-turn 38 strength slam dunk that I had no way to catch up from. He also ran Renew so Tibor hosed me again in round 2. Tibor is strong :negative:

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I thought the spell heavy ST deck someone posted earlier was a meme but I came up against it at around 1300 mmr. Turns out it's real easy to beat if you're playing Skellige and are running 3 Mardroeme (which you should be). As soon as I realised my Mork was just getting poo poo on by weather I passed early to force their Eithne into Saskia/Roach and then in round 2 they just passed because they want efficiency out of their Dol Blathanna Protectors I'm assuming but then in round 3 after mulliganing every chance I could get for my mushrooms I just wasted all my cards waiting for their protectors to come out, threw down a gold for points and then Mardroeme'd 2 Protectors and Gigni'd the third. I just found it very satisfying to almost immediately recognise a deck, know what's coming and then beat it.

Chuf fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 31, 2017

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

Electronico6 posted:

The version that just runs the 3 dudes is really bad, and the moment you become aware that his entire board presence is Saskia/Roach/Leader and 3 clowns it's game over. It has a real bad match up against NG too, as it gets completely run over by Peter Saar and you can basically Tibor or Vilgefortz their units without punish.

Some lists are starting to add more units, the hand buffers or dorfs, the special spies, and they just seem to play a lot better.

Yeah I just came up against another one. This time my Hjalmar got D-shackled and an Ithlinne in round 3 had me worried but it turned out they were relying on the protectors again and I had my Mardroeme's ready so it was another easy win. Another little trick I tried and succeeded at was playing Donar pretty late to grab one of their protectors that they were banking on grabbing with a Rally.

I'm a little worried at it's prevalence at the moment (or maybe at my mmr) - as easy as I'm finding it to beat, I really don't want another weather deck to become popular. :negative:

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

Toruviel is the best and most fun card.

I've been experimenting with an ambush focused ST deck and it's pretty bad but ho-oly poo poo is toruviel fun and awesome. Maybe it's just the casual matchmaking I'm getting but so many people do not know how to deal with or account for her. Or maybe they just forget that she is potentially 14 strength? Either way winning the first round is amazingly easy because of the Saskia/Roach burst plus Toruviel and maybe a couple other cards into a pass as almost every time my opponent will play cards to catch up then lose to Toruviel. I only wish I could figure out a way to then win either turn 2 or 3. I realise she's good in other decks but I like playing with the new Elven Mercenaries and Dol Blathanna trappers which work in a similar fashion to Rot Tossers in that your opponent will go out of their way to try and lock/banish them.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

No Wave posted:

Someone passed to my turn 1 calveit into golems + Villentretenmerth. Probably more out of gently caress this poo poo than because they thought it was a good play.

Sometimes I will just immediately pass to a turn 1 or 2 Yenn Con opening. I loving hate that card so much that most of the time I would rather just not have to deal with it.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

Been playing a bit of Ranked but now that I'm hovering around 2000 mmr, it seems all anyone plays is Calveit NG and the odd Eithne deck which forfeits when I pass early on turn 1. I thought I'd at least see some other Skellige decks or the rare Henselt Reavers but it really seems that Calveit is the fotm at my mmr which is pretty soulcrushing when you have to play against Tibor and Letho every game (and don't have those golds yourself).
:negative:

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

The only time I've felt truly hosed by Tibor was when I got Renew Tibor'd - thinking I had the upper hand by forcing the round 1 Tibor only to get hosed.

Been really hoping for either a Kayran and/or a Ge'els in my kegs lately so I can start playing a good Consume Monster deck. No luck so far but I did get a Rainfarn and so managed to put together a half-decent Calveit deck and while it does feel a little dirty, it's nice to be climbing the ladder again. I do kinda miss getting the free poo poo from GG's though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

Apparently I've put nearly 200 hours into Gwent now, much of that in the open beta and if there's one thing I've learned so far it's that netdecking is dumb and the most joy in the game (for me) comes from deck building and tweaking. I know that's probably a really obvious conclusion to come to but this is the first CCG I've really invested into.

Like recently I've been trying to make a controly NR deck because I like the idea of Ballistas (Ballistae?). It's mostly pretty bad but just working out poo poo on your own is incredibly satisfying. For example that like Yenn Conn obviously synergises with Ballista and Sabrina is actually amazing as she can give you control over any variety of row as long as you have a way to kill her (like with Myrgtabrakke or Radovid) and then a Gigni or Scorch finish it off at high strength or a Ballista for low strength. Then tweaking poo poo like how I found most opponents will realise the deck relies a lot on Siege Supports/Platforms so having a Shani, Reaver Scout and even a Reinforcement to pull them is useful and supports help so much with varying your strength and adding armour so weather isn't a huge issue. Feel slightly wrong playing a siege-focused deck and not having Foltest because the Witcher 2 lore apparently influences my deck building but previously I had him or Henselt and then Margarita and Cleaver for locks but I found with all the damage output you can do, Margarita is actually a liability most of the time because she resets - simple poo poo I know, but freeing up 1 or 2 silver slots and adding locks and also a near-guaranteed Sabrina kill with Radovid made much more sense. And currently I'm trying work out how good the Dun Banner Light Cavalry are - because deck thinning is great and you get loads of free value if you have some siege supports already placed but on the other hand I really want to include trebuchets. But the fun will be in the testing. Like I said I mostly lose trying this out in casual at 2000 mmr but occasionally it really works out when you're against a NG or Dwarf ST that is gunning hard for the first round and the deck is mostly able to hold it's own.

Also, just got a legendary choice in a keg opening and it was loving Vabjorn, Menno or Premium Ciri Dash. So I took the Ciri Dash of course but also I don't want to play any deck with any of those cards in. I pray for a Kayran or a Caretaker.