Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

ShowTime posted:

10 points for a gold is great if that gold also draws you stuff that helps your deck strategy, which it does for many decks. Any deck that wants to swarm the board or have your opponent swarm the board. Axemen, Monster Consume, NR Reavers, Mulligan Scoia'Tael, and Nilfgaard Spies are all popular decks that want to play as many units as possible or have their opponent do the same. The only deck it might not be good in happens to be the best deck at the moment, which is Crach.

Agree completely but calling NG Spies a popular deck is a bit excessive unless we're all playing under rank 8. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

ShowTime posted:

In all card games ever, people like drawing more cards.

yes but mainly when they're the only ones drawing them

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Normal Adult Human posted:

if both players draw a card, the advantage goes to you. this is why coldlight oracle is a top tier card in hearthstone and every deck runs it. It absolutely doesn't mean you have chosen to replace one of your precious gold slots for a card that is on average slightly better than a randomly generated bronze card.

yeeeaaah card advantage in hs isn't like card advantage in gwent though, hth

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Whenever you mulligan a crone there has to be a higher chance to get another crone. Has to be.

I can't believe that happening 9 matches in a row is variance. Also I can't remember the last time I drew a gold off a mulligan'd crone, or the last time I was able to play all 4 golds in a match. Hey, when I play 2 I consider myself lucky.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yesterday I got all 4 of my golds in my opening hand (including Ge'els) along with 2 foggers and 2 crones. It was the worst hand I've ever had, probably. But yeah, it is total bullshit the number of times tossing a crone gets another crone. Or, before the nerf, Roach. I really want to look into other silvers since crones are just clunky as hell and especially rough when you're running fog, but it's just an insanely good point swing for 1 card if you don't get bad draws.

Like I don't want to go all conspiracy theory here, but if I I didn't know better it's almost like you actually have a higher chance to redraw them than anything else. I play with a tracker and the number of times I get another crone with more than 10 cards left in the deck is loving ridiculous. It may be higher than 50%. Am I missing something here?

Also yeah they're clunky but they're too strong to drop. Whether you use them to close the first round or as a 3rd round 20 points bomb. I don't know of any other silver faction card that gives 20 unconditional points by itself provided you had decent mulligans.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

No Wave posted:

It's because the way the mulligans are set up are really dumb. This image is the easiest explanation for it.

When you mulligan a card, it goes into your deck, then you draw your next card AROUND that card, leaving it in position if it's on the top of the deck. This is totally unintuitive and will bite new players forever. Rethaz has already expressed extreme stubbornness on this topic.

I believe this also means that a card you mulligan on rounds 2/3 are twice as likely to be your top card. Again, completely insane.

I cannot even begin to tell you how embarrassed I am that I'm almost rank 16 (always losing the rankup match by 2-3 points, which is driving me insane) and I had no idea about this. The only thing I knew was that if you mulligan a card in the first round you can't get it again in the same mulligan.

Thanks. Holy poo poo that's counter-intuitive and for some reason not mentioned ever anywhere in twitch streams or reddit or gwentdb. Holy loving poo poo.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 17, 2017

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Yeah the infographic is at least as counter-intuitive as the mechanic it tries to explain.

Finally got to 16! :) Playing a lot lately, and while it might be early to tell the feeling is that they overnerfed and overbuffed everything.

Nilfgaard was strong but still had counters. Skellige was in a similar spot. Monsters were viable at any rank. Spelltael was viable as well. Hell even weird NR decks would take the top spot from time to time. Buffs to ST and NR were welcome, but they managed to take a diversified meta and gently caress it up completely. Ciri should have been lowered to 6, and why the hell Roach is 4. The mulliganing and the fact that Roach could appear on any row, therefore potentially damaging you when playing vs weather/Igni was enough of a drawback.

RnR and Drought were also nerfed way too hard in a meta where they were already going out of favor. I don't think they as oppressive as people thought.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Woopity doo, guess I didn't see it. Either way, it's an obscenely lovely feeling to watch your victory get taken away from you through no real fault of your own.

It didn't matter since I demolished this poor Scoia'tel bastard two games later and kicked off another winning streak but y'know gently caress that noise.

huh, I agree it sucks but it's also entirely your fault.

it can be both things at the same time

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

D.Ork Bimboolean posted:

So.

The way things are boiling down the games seem to be panning out to this.

Decks fight tooth and nail to win round one, or at least force your opponent into a large card disadvantage in order to win it and thus take round two with easy carry over. Then in round three with little fuel left, decks bust out their last round finishers.

For Nilfguard that is and still seems to be a fat Tibor. For Monsters it could be a huge Elder or Crones. For Skelliga it can be a HJALMAR and so on, basically a bunch of power wrapped up in a gold box thats difficult to deal with.

For Northern Realms there only seems to be two potent finishers. A well buffed Baron or a last second buffed Witcher Blitz.

Not all decks work like this, some push round 1 and 2 way more than it seems right because they don't care about card advantage as much. Then there are the decks that you simply cannot beat in round 3 unless you're teched against. When you start playing matches usually go the way you describe though. One of the main differences as soon as you play more ranked is discovering that losing round 1 with a 2 cards advantage crushes a lot of decks and you can bait some mistakes there.

A typical mistake is using Clear Skies when you're down on points just to remove a weather effect. If your opponents passes on you, you're now 1 card down already and still losing the round.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Subvisual Haze posted:

Why is there not a taunt for "oh my God, why are you so loving slow"

reminder that this is still an open beta

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Magic Underwear posted:

I think my faith in CDPR may have been really misplaced. Why would they make frost worthless and then nerf caranthir and wild hunt hound on top of it. I think CDPR may be retarded.

huh, no, weather changes are mostly pretty good, they're simply lowering the power level of everything

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Turin Turambar posted:

True also, this seems a anti-power creep balance patch. 90% of them are nerfs.

It looks like a very good patch so far.

E: loving the bear change, they're not killing the card

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Subvisual Haze posted:

Happy with the new changes. Weather had reached auto include and required everyone to bring multiple counters for bronze cards. No single group of cards should have everything revolve around them like that, especially when they're bronzes.

Now they'll be minor situational bonuses on cards like aretuza adepts or hounds instead of game plans unto themselves.

Yeah, weather was loving retarded. I like the fact that they're actually following their long term design goals and less the cries of mongoloid babies on reddit.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Sultan Tarquin posted:

That savage bear description is really terrible.

"When an enemy is played from any hand..." How do do you play an enemy from your own hand if you're playing SK? Is it supposed to hit friendlies? If so, why doesn't it just say unit?

Yeah. They are presenting it though, I don't think the patch will come out with that description.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Magic Underwear posted:

Nithral is hilarious now. It's a 7 power silver that, only in concert with another card, does 1 damage a turn. Great job guys, he's almost as good as post-nerf savage bear.

You will still need a card to remove the weather though, which you might not have used otherwise. Nithraal used to give you 2-3 points of value per turn for, huh, maybe 1 turn or 2? It was always super awkward to use and immediately silenced, which felt terrible. I don't think it's going to break the meta now either, but its stats mean they basically gave you a free Nithraal turn, and three more points after he's inevitably silenced. Nithraal+ White Frost is still a 13 points play that needs an immediate answer from your opponent, and a lot of answers are now worse because people will play silver mages less (with the possible exception of Water Hag maybe?).

After the latest patch people were talking about how Skellige was dead and buried, right before the most oppressive Skellige meta in Gwent's short life. Weather will probably need dedicated decks to work now (if it ever does), which is..ok? It's a cool mechanic but it was so busted that you were 100% hosed every time you didn't have an answer.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Magic Underwear posted:

Wow, I can get a whole 13 value for only two silver cards, that sounds amazing. And the only way they can counter it is with clear sky, a mage, a row clear, using the third row, bloodcurdling roar, movement cards, passing after your 2 silver poo poo tempo combo, or any number of other things. You really convinced me, now nithral will be played in every deck.

Mages will be poo poo, clear sky will see much less play, bloodcurdling roar is significantly weaker, passing early with monsters is also usually poo poo because they have massive carryover.

I mean, as I said, I doubt Nithraal will break the meta (its power level is basically the same as it was before) but you almost convinced me he will be ok with your reddit level arguments.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Turin Turambar posted:

Oh, so Geralt Igni totally ignores the quen shield I gave to my spotters. 57 strength down the drain. GG.

Yeah, Igni doesn't actually deal damage.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

currently playing weather monsters at 3k and on a 5 games winning streak, so, huh,

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

General Morden posted:

Long metas are a good thing. And it's also technically good for there to be useless cards. It's healthy for the game.

Huuuuhhh HS is a an absolute dumpster fire RNG based shitfest, this is a strategy game. The only reason why HS still has a "pro-scene" is because it was the first real digital CCG, it looks good and it got immensely popular.

Yes, CDPR has been heavy handed in balancing Gwent lately but HS is basically a spectator sport Team 5 has never had any idea how to balance. It's come to the point where it's more fun to watch other people getting angry at it than to play it yourself. Like here you can figure out where your mistake was in almost every game, in HS half the times it's "well his random generated card from his other random generated card is too strong, I guess I lose".

EDIT: I just discovered they re-introduced old packs but you can only buy them with real money, lol. Between this and the deck recipe bullshit it looks like HS is now as marketing driven as your typical Ubisoft product. :)

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 6, 2017

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

No Wave posted:

Reminder that crafting every single epic and legendary on a new account costs 65k scraps. You can do whatever you want man, you basically have a full collection.

I mean they did say this was actually a beta, not a "fake open beta the game is actually released". They don't have the same work-power or resources companies like Blizzard, Ubi or EA have, they literally are the meme indie company full of talented devs that managed to produce at least 2 AAA games already and a fantastic CCG.

They will need to learn to be less heavy handed in their patch approach though, even for a public beta.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

General Morden posted:

Just saying they should take a cue from Blizzard is all.

As soon as the game's mechanics are actually established they probably want a patching philosophy that's between a "maybe make a card or 2 unplayable forever every 4 months" Blizzard MO and a "let's change how core mechanics work every 2 weeks" current CDPR MO.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

I posted earlier that I was on a 5 win streak at 3k with weather monsters, to which someone replied "hurrr 5 wins wow what a sample size".

This is almost card by card the deck I built myself, and I'm currently sitting at a 72% wr at 3k+ over 31 games. Weather still fucks people over.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

King Pawn posted:

Superjj just got rank 1 with Unseen Elder consume monsters, ladder's gonna be stuffed with them for the next few days. What's good against that poo poo?

I'm at 74% vs consume, they don't have any answer to 6+ weather effects and BTM hits them really hard when you can pull it off.

Hound is on average a 12 value bronze for me (plus the deck thinning). Link in my previous post is of the guy who just took the deck to rank 6.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

General Morden posted:

You'll be eating crow when Blizzard announces their new expansion for Hearthstone.

Yeeeah I don't know, Mr Hearthstone Salesman posting in the Gwent thread. I want to think it over.

I'll get back to you, ok?

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

current rank 1 is playing vs Superjj (rank 3) using weather monsters

feels good to be right

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

EvanTH posted:

Transmuting Roach is the smartest thing I've done so far in this game. Excellent card to have animated.

Premium Roach is guaranteed to give you a 5% bonus in winrate too, it's that good

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Up Circle posted:

i love scorch so much i made a f un deck for myself with schirru, scorch, villen and eithne. (and aglais in case my enemy tries to get even)

I'm sure it plays exactly the way you spell it, a fffffffff un deck

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Subvisual Haze posted:

Weekly Gwentlemen snapshot is showing a good amount of variance at the top of the meta. Three different Dagon decks! http://gwentlemen.com/snapshot/

Looking good though Nilfgaard! Several of our decks managed to make Tier 3!

the dagon decks barely have a +5% winrate over any tier 2 deck

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Magic Underwear posted:

And that's with every non-monsters deck gunning for it.

I've been playing Queensguard and it's remarkable how similar it is to reveal except better in every way. One major but subtle advantage is that Bran shuffles your deck, so instead of 90% of the time re-drawing the poo poo bronzes you threw away you can see what life is like in a game with a sane mulligan system.

No actually the non-monster decks countering it, like the Radovid one, make the matchup absolutely miserable for Dagon. They obviously suffer from being less consistent against other T2/T3 decks but that's par with the course for counter decks.

Sure, monsters are the best deck right now but the meta is very diverse. Hopefully this means the next round of fixes will just be soft-tuning. Also, this is the first time after Open beta that Monsters are top dogs. It was Calveit and then Crach before.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 24, 2017

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Double Bill posted:

CDPR are... not very good at this? The last few patches have been mostly flailing and panic, and dragging them further and further away from actually being able to release this game.

The irony is that the game was at its most balanced right at the start of Open Beta. There was a good variety of deck/factions too.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

No Wave posted:

Wait wasn't that the start of the weather apocalypse?

it was before the start, with drought and rnr running rampart

the thing is, after a few weeks nobody gave that much of a gently caress about rnr and the card wasn't even in the majority of tier 1 decks anymore

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

No Wave posted:

I think he means when Nilfgaard was the best deck, which didn't strike me as significantly more balanced than end of last season (plus weather was a lurking problem that had yet to be resolved at that point).

NG was the most popular but SK was right up there along with weather Monsters, Spelltael and a couple of weird NR decks that stubbornly stayed at the top ranks in spite of NR being poo poo.

It was, literally, the most balanced and varied Gwent ever was.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Meta looks much better after the hotfix, we'll see what happens when it's stable.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

I'm seeing all factions getting play, maybe a little less SK but it may be me. Meta looks good again.

Granted, the way Gwent works balancing is probably a nightmare but they're doing their best. :) I like the constant back and forth with the community and the honesty about mistakes, it reminds me of Overwatch a bit, especially the first 6 months or so.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Gwent is still the best digital card game around but its game design has been confusing and directionless for a while now.

The new cards unfortunately seem to confirm that CDProjekt doesn't know what the gently caress. Game also lost a poo poo ton of new players for the constant massive overhauls, and repeating "b-b-but it's an open beta" doesn't help when it's everyone's first impression.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 9, 2017

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

The "beta" excuse is an especially dumb one now that most of the public/popular streamers/pros have been exposed to the game and formed their own impression about it. I loved Gwent to bits but they never had any idea how to balance it or support it to begin with. It's kind of over now. I doubt this game will make enough money for them to keep it fresh in the long term.

And, huh, this is especially baffling considering how good the game was right out of closed beta. They could've simply made small, incremental changes and added new cards faster (30-40 per month would probably have been enough), believing in the fact that the game was good enough to attract new players without dumbing it down.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

frajaq posted:

2018 will be the Year of Gwent

I'll laugh at the nonbelievers, you'll see!!!!

what did they even say "the year of gwent" was at cdpr?

god i hope they're at least focusing on cyberpunk real hard and gwent was the sacrificial lamb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

I'm quite sad about this because Gwent was a stellar, stellar game when it released as an open beta in June of last year. I don't know how you gently caress up this hard after releasing something so good and so well received.

Re-releasing the game is the only thing they can do. I also hope the devs responsible for all the design decisions from June until now are thrown the gently caress out of this project, which seems to be the case.