Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
What's the best aggro class? I'm going to try this for the first time this evening so obviously have no cards and want to try something cheap and cheerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I feel like Gwent could be a little more generous considering its a beta. Weather Monster is going to be the only deck I'm able to play for a while, and that will get boring. Kegs seem comparatively expense compared to Hearthstone, especially considering that there is no starter bundle.

Saying that it is a nice change of pace compared to other card games. The psychology around the 3 round games is fun.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

CJ posted:

I think going first is a huge deal now. For instance, when i play against a reveal nilf deck if i got first i can get the Savage Bear down, then protect it from the siege card that does damage when revealing with my removal. If i go second i have to remove first and he gets a few turns in where my bear isn't doing damage. That can be the difference on whether i can remove one of his cards or not. Another example is against the Skellige decks with hunters. The person who gets to go first can remove their opponent's bear with the 3 damage from playing the hunter. It really feels like a coinflip some matches.
I think the opposite, it feels like going second is actually advantageous since you can keep responding to your opponents plays while they have to try and get value out of being countered. Going first generally feels like you have to go for a generic value play (eg a Resilient unit or something you want in the graveyard or just the highest value card you have) and your opponent might have a counter. That insane 25 strength Nilfgaard gold is the epitome of a killer first turn since your opponent cant do anything except demote it or try to get Brave value.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I'm really loving Wild Hunt Riders at the moment. As a new player with not many cards they give insane value to Weather Monster in R2. Wild Hunt Rider into Eredin/Navigator and copy the Wild Hunt Rider pretty much guarantees you win R3 while other simpler WHR plays still get a lot of value. Got my 18 round wins today in only 9 games based almost entirely on R2 WHR and I still only have the 4 basic golds you get given for free.

I'm going to hit ranked soon though and I'm sure it will all go downhill from there... Working towards the Consume/Deathwish Monster archetype. I'm not seeing any of it in casual but I assume that's because you don't get given a single card for it for free apart from the leader. Coming from Hearthstone I really enjoy the interactions with the Graveyard (and trolling Skellige players with Griffin).

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
What's the fundamental difference between the keywords "Strengthen" and "Boost"? Is it that a unit that was buffed by a "Strengthen" effect couldn't be reset to it's original state like the above players Dudu?

I'm thinking of it like Transform rather than Buff in Hearthstone, and Lock and Reset are different parts of Silence.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Any idea on when the first round of changes is going to happen? I am loathe to spend valuable scraps on soon to be nerfed cards!

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Going second is definitely advantageous. That's why the winner of previous round always goes first.

I agree that Imperial Golems do seem pretty oppressive but if you've played with them in your deck you do realise that they gently caress you over at times. For instance it makes Clear Skies - Rally basically a huge risk to play before your hero or if you do get unlucky on your mulligans then you are essentially a card down for the match. You have to really consider the risk of the 3rd mulligan on round 1. At 2 power Imperial Golems would still be plenty good however and I bet they get nerfed to that in the future.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I beat all the challenges with the initial Monster Weather deck. I did tweak it however for the Dagon fight by adding all the extra weather clear available. It's the only tough fight of the lot and he casts a poo poo load of weather cards.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I've opened 6 Wild Hunt Riders, wish I could have swapped one with you! I've noticed a weird little bug with them too - since there are actually 3 different rider cards they won't necessarily auto mill when you actually have extra copies - you can have up to 9 of the buggers before they can be milled with the mill all extra cards button.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Xtanstic posted:

That's not a bug though that's a feature because of the different art cards. It's kinda annoying but different art is cool
Yeah it's really cool especially the premium art when they are in trio since the art turns into one big picture. Wild Hunt Riders are the card that most tempt me to transmute for that reason.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Weather Monster is solid against Queensguard decks, even with F2P decks. QG should only win if they are packing a lot of anti-weather since if you can keep their melee row under Frost (or Fog sometimes) then they are in a really bad place. Also consider that Griffin is actually a pretty decent tech card for Weather Monster in general to deny enemy graveyards.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Weather itself is a card advantage card since if you can engineer the board state correctly you can force your opponent to use an extra card or lose the round due to weather procs, or at least force them to waste a silver or gold card in return for your bronzes.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I played this during the original beta and it was really good. Stopped playing when they completely hosed the game up by ruining it's identity and I can't say I'm surprised they have basically cancelled the game for now and are going for a re-release. If it comes back like it was in the original beta, just with way more content, then I think it could still be great. Dial down the notoriously labour intensive art if that's what it takes but keep the gameplay unique like it was.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The new Gwent seems a lot less dynamic. In the original Gwent there were lots of high impact plays that could massively swing the game if set up right. The new Gwent feels like a lot more of a grind - once a player has a 6/7 point lead in a round it's really hard to ever reduce that enough to win. I guess the overall power level is similar but individual card impact is far less which means that very few plays are satisfyingly powerful. I've won and lost games ground out by a few points on round 3 where the result never seemed in doubt after about half way through round 1 and it doesn't feel very exciting even though the points score is ultimately very close.

That said Deathwish Monsters is fun to play, especially if you get Ge'els to stick. Just having 1 free Deathwish every round from the hero ability is really good and is quite reliable in forcing an extra card from your opponent even in a losing round. My hope is for more graveyard interactions to be introduced to add some more complexity and planning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I really liked Gwent in it's original incarnation, before the initial relaunch. What's it like now then? More like that again?