Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Huh, they changed the Dagon challenge from ballcrushing hard (I think I counted 5-6 separate weather effects in addition to a full crones summon in round 1) to a complete pushover. The AI lost its crones, now has just 1 weather effect, and wastes a bunch of time throwing potions at its units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

I made Vanhemar today, and wow! With decoy and Emhyr/Cahir he covered two rows in frost and then launched a stammelford's tremors. I suppose there are quicker ways to clear a field, but the guy is so drat flexible, and frees up deck space since you don't even need to carry a clear skies or frost card for him to use.

I feel kind of bad for Skellige. Those nilfgaard medics that let you raid their graveyard just wrecks their whole strategy from the get go.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

It's so satisfying to edge out a win against a perfect Calveit template deck with my grab bag Emhyr and starter golds Nilfgaard deck.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

Nilfgaard is somehow even more fun and explosive than it was before closed beta ended.

I get why people find Calveit the numerically stronger leader, to dump out as much of their deck as possible.

Emhyr (and Cahir copying) is just so much more fun though for loving with your opponent. Being able to replay your resurrection medics, cow launchers, or silver cards lets you take matches in so many weird directions.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Had an opponent forfeit in the final round because he was out of cards and I was up by 2 with one card left to play. My only remaining card was Emhyr's Cahir who would have reset my sole non-gold unit to a lower value and lost the round for me.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

No Wave posted:

Is there a reason you wouldn't just pass there?

That's a very good point.

I'd still recommend against forfeiting. Your opponent might be dumb enough to forget about passing!

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

A monster deck did horrible things to me with Caranthir and Igni. I feel violated.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Arrrthritis posted:

It's really satisfying when you beat someone who BMs you the entire game, but what's even more satisfying is when you beat them into the dirt enough that they ragequit when you still have 3 cards left in hand.

e: Saskia is really good. In other news, Water is wet.

The true rear end in a top hat opponent plays every card with one second left on the timer once they know they've been beaten.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Even though I've never managed to get the mythical Letho and the Dimeritium Bomb in a hand together, I really really like Letho just by himself. He can gently caress up so many elaborate plans halfway through on either side of the board.

Locks/banishes in general seem the most important thing to have now.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

I get that Nilfgaard was the hot poo poo last patch and the golems especially were out of control, but I'm not getting why so many other cards for Nilfgaard had their power values reduced. Outside of the Impera Brigades and Tibor the whole faction is surprisingly weak in power and boost potential. So often my matches fall apart in the third round just because there are surprisingly few cards that bring power to the table. Lots of tricks and spies and cow carcasses, sure, but it's really drat hard to squeak out a win with those in a straight slugging match.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Yup, this keeps happening to me, but gently caress if I don't love playing spies, cows, and Letho/Dimeritium bomb. It's just a good time.

It really is such a fun and goofy faction. So many of the other common decks feel so auto-pilot in how they play out. The number of matches I'm losing by 1-5 points is getting depressing though.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

I know but the matches where it sings are loving incredible. I just absolutely wrecked this skellige deck. He played Avallach in the first round and so did I and then he let me win the 1st round by 1 point so I went into the second round with loving everything.

I played so many spies plus cows my impera brigade were 25 and 24 respectively and then I used Fringilla to duplicate the 24 over plus I managed an 60 pt Letho/Dimeritium bomb combo. When I passed with 1 card left it was 145 to 36. :lol:

I haven't really tried out Fringilla yet. Can she copy the value of a gold card unto a non-gold card (put Tibor on her left and a weak card on her right = 23 strength card on the right)? I'm always kind of hazy on how gold cards work to be honest.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I believe nothing can affect golds unless explicitly stated like shackles.

Yeah, I'm not trying to affect the gold card, but copy it's value. Sometimes that works, like Cynthia can boost her own value by the value of a gold card. I kind of assumed it wouldn't work though.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Yeah, finally got a match to try it out and Fringilla can't copy a gold. Oh well.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Why is there not a taunt for "oh my God, why are you so loving slow"

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Arrrthritis posted:

because that would be spammed all the time, regardless of if it was appropriate or not.

True enough. I do wish there were general "good luck" type comments, but those would probably be taken sarcastically anyways.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

ShowTime posted:

So it looks like there is an exploit letting you desync your client, causing the game to end and apparently in your favor. CDPR is aware of it, looking into fixing it and banning people that use it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/6i1o25/noxious_gets_scammed/dj3kfxt/

Basically you log into a second client using the same account and just queue for a game. When it finds you a game, your current game encounters an error and has to end, giving you the win.

Haha of course there are people using exploits to boost their rank in loving open beta.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Succubus only gives you one turn to react? That doesn't seem quite right, or else the card is worded confusing as all gently caress. It mentions 2 turns until effect, but 2 turns for a Rot Tosser means the enemy has a full 2 turns to react.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

RatHat posted:

But it says right on the card...

Why even have the numerical ambiguity if one is functionally a 1 turn reaction time and the other is a 2 turn reaction time? I mean I'll be the first to confess to being a knuckledragging illiterate card game plebian, but a more functionally intuitive description would seem like a net boon to everyone?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Vicovaro medics aren't getting the 3 point strengthen when I use a decoy on them. That's good, I shudder at the thought of them not collapsing instantly from bears, below normal temperatures or stiff breezes.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Lester Shy posted:

Anybody else getting a lot of "An error has occurred which prevented the game from continuing" messages today?

Overall, the whole network experience and UI for this game feels really janky and I hope those are their top priorities to fix before release.

If you notice the game is treating things like you lost the match (rank decrease) there's a fair chance your opponent was using an exploit.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Rainfarn is loving useless.

I've been testing out Vilgefortz with it now. I think finding the right combo of golds is what's screwing with me.

Despite her low power value Ciri is still amazing. She's actually an awesome spy in disguise.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Play Ciri to give yourself a 15-20 point lead and watch the other player descend into indecisive anguish. Do they go down 2 more cards to win the round at huge card cost but deny you Ciri back? Or do they pass giving you the easy first round and also your Ciri back as card advantage. Bring along Roach's weak rear end for another 4 points unto the decision ledger.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Which Ciri? Regular gold Ciri?

Ya boring 5 power Ciri.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Regular Ciri is just the 5 points though so with Roach it's only 9 points on the board. Do you mean when you're already up a little bit because that makes sense.

My problem with the Ciri/Roach combo is they take up precious spots from other cards that I prefer.

Yeah, once you understand what Ciri does related to card advantage and tempo the rest of the game just falls into place. The fact that she comes back into your hand (not just stays on the board) in a loss is enormous in making sure you have more cards in round 3 and can make the last play(s).

She's like a spy that gives +5 to you instead of -10.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

So It Goes posted:

For those of you that think Nilfgaard was overnerfed, what card would you most want to change back?

Also, for those that want to change weather and specifically frost really, what would you do? I've seen suggestions to make it proc at end of opponents turn, not hit enemies below 1, only last 5ish turns etc.

Really the problem with Nilfgaard is more a sum of its parts than something that one change can fix. The imperial golems had their strength lowered and their spawn mechanic changed to make them almost completely incompatible with Calveit. Both changes at once were too much. And then points got shaved off Calveit, Cahir, Peter, Rainfarn. All those little numerical changes can really add up. Really the faction is just remarkably light in raw power at the moment. It can pull off some fun tricks, but it's so easy to just get buried by your opponent's raw strength.

The Gorp posted:

I've gotten wins and losses off of that.
I suppose it does declare a winner so people might be exploiting a way to safely DC when you're up a card and a round, but that seems far fetched.

It's a pretty popular exploit that pops up in lots of online games. It doesn't even have to do with who is "winning" the round, it's the game perceiving that you disconnected as a result of your opponent's exploit which results in you "losing". Completely anecdotal but I've seen less of it happening just in the last couple days, probably related to it being acknowledged as an issue https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/6i9jex/attention_drophacking_cheaters_will_get_banned/

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

It would seem like such a simple and obvious hotfix to make axemen not trigger from...everything.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

RatHat posted:

Just at the end of turn would be good enough I think.

Yeah as it stands even having the correct counter for a weather effect will still generally leave you in a worse position than you started because the damage has already ticked once.

Some kind of cap on weather/spell decks would be wonderful though. Sure they're a legitimate strategy with it's own limitations but it's hard to overstate just how incredibly unfun it is to slog out an entire match against a weather/spell deck. The game becomes completely non-interactive for the non-weather player and is just a dreary episode of waiting until the opponent's small number of boosted bronze or silver muster units appear at the end.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

King Pawn posted:

thats.. kind of a big problem

I've added Bekker's Twisted Mirror to my sad spy squad. That's one thing you can say about Nilfgaard: they work really well with Bekker's Mirror since my opponent almost always has higher value cards out than me.

Between that, Letho and his DBomb, Ciri+Cantrella for card advantage, and The Guardian to gently caress with my opponent's mulligans my Nilfgaard deck can do anything (except consistently put up large point values).

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Slowhanded posted:

As a relative beginner playing the meta Skellige bears deck, I'm just amazed at the flexibility of this deck. Feel like I have answers for literally everything the opponents throws at me.

The biggest challenge playing Skellige right now has to be figuring out what to mulligan because your whole deck can be pretty great top to bottom. Bears, axemen, and ARE SHIELDS ARE ARE RAMPARTS are all silver quality cards masquerading as bronzes at the moment.

I managed to hit 2000 MMR, which I figure is probably about as high as my nilfgaard spy-clown squad can carry me until CPDR gives a little power back to Nilfgaard. I've had decent luck against most factions around this level, but a monster deck with a succubus just wrecks me every time.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

King Pawn posted:

Amusingly based on the first paragraph, the best way to beat Kambi is to win r1 and bleed them r2 until they're forced to use key combo cards.

I actually haven't had Kambi blow up in my face yet and this might be why. If you win round 1 that gives you the power in round 2 to bleed their deck down to 0-2 cards. Although playing NG, Letho the good shepherd is fantastic at sheltering a row of vulnerable units with his gold body. Helps if you lure out their shackle on a different gold while the timer is ticking too.

D.shackles are pretty much autoinclude at this point. They'll shut down that rooster. Also can shackle Hjalmar to at least limit him to 15.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Electronico6 posted:

You missed on the double nerf to golem, that they only come out after Calviet power is resolved, and the -2 to Novice. You can also add -2 to Ciri and -1 to Roach which were really important parts of the Spy deck. Also comedy nerf, the novice ambassador bug fix.(It was giving 12 power instead of 10).

Considering the type of game Gwent is, just a couple of -1 changes can make a whole difference. Ciri is probably the best example because we can look at her history in the game overall. 6 in CB->7 in OB->5 right now. Ciri at 6 was pretty good and there was plenty of discussion on her being the best gold or not. Players like Lifecoach would just add her(and roach) to any deck, but Swim often argued that it wasn't useful or even wise. Right now neither of these two play her.
Yeah they were trying to kill off a nasty round 1 combo which wrecked the tempo of the game. Calveit (4) would summon in 3 golems (9), and if he in turn played a gold card (Ciri or Cahir most commonly 5/6) then that gold card would in turn summon Roach (6). So a completely broken 25 point swing that either forces your opponent to pass or go into card debt to match you. Obviously that was excessive.

If you look at that combo though, every single card had it's numerical value reduced AND several mechanics were changed. Golems now appear before Calveit picks a card, and thus actively gently caress with his card selection ability. Golds summoned off of leaders like Calveit also no longer pull in Roach. Probably either the mechanistic changes or the numerical changes would have been enough by themselves to beat down the combo, but piling both on at once was crippling not just to the specific combo but Nilfgaard's effectiveness in general. Lowering the value of must-include cards like Tibor and Peter was also a good idea by itself, but combined with everything else was a huge shock to Nilfgaard's playing potential.

Mogwai still has me sold on Ciri, but she's an incredibly situational card. Her+Cantrella giving me a 2 card swing on a losing round is a godsend. Her straight value is very low though, and if you lose the first round she's drat near useless the rest of the game (ooh a 5 point gold body...). D.Shackles also completely wreck her, which more and more decks are carrying now. That one bronze d.shackle will cancel out her card advantage ability (the only real reason you play her) and leave you with a painfully weak 5 value card. You can shackle other golds too, but most golds either bring a large point value or have an effect that occurs instantly so they aren't completely dead weight after being shackled.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

King Pawn posted:

I mean you're still 5 points up on the exchange, it's not that much of a blowout. Succubus is now a staple of Monsters decks and that's much worse to get shackled.

They're down a bronze though and you're down a gold, which stings. Agree regarding the succubus, although in my experience she's more likely to appear late when it's easier to catch your opponent with their pants down without a shackle than Ciri. Still though, the continuous or delayed effect golds are not getting a lot of use currently. I'm kind of amazed when I see a Yen or Butterfly Triss pop up.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

I wonder if they have any plans for Renew. I've heard a couple people claim it's way too good for a neutral gold and I'm inclined to agree, no idea how they could modify it though?

Letho making a second enemy eating appearance or dropping Tibor in the 2nd and 3rd round has been hilarious so far. Borrowing my opponents Hjalmar works wonders too.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

It's remarkable how rarely my cow launchers actually manage to damage a unit with a non-minuscule amount of health. People will go to absolutely amazing lengths to destroy/lock/decoy/maneuver around those things though to protect a 3-5 health unit.

drat if I don't feel clever dropping a cow carcass on my second to last turn on the Witcher or Crone rows before they appear though.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Man it's a good thing they nerfed the Calveit opener in every aspect and added a counter-intuitive card draw order just to make sure people weren't getting too big of an opening swing from those 2 value golems [King Bran appears and deposits 19 points on the table]

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Woof I feel like the community suddenly switched from Skellige to monster decks en masse in the last 2 days. NG at least had the medic advantage to help with Skellige, but a well played monster deck seems to wreck my NG every time.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Spell'a'tell is such a lesser evil now in the age of endless goddamn frost everywhere.

The leader winrate and popularity graphic from GwentUp is pretty amazing in case anyone missed it https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/6jeehh/leaders_winratepopularity_l_vs_l_stats_and/ - it's a good sign when 75% of the highest ranks are occupied by Skellige and Monsters decks right? I don't feel nearly as bad about my Nilfgaard deck's performance after looking at NG's general win rates though. Yikes!

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Bringing in crones and the foglets makes for such awkward round one mulligans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The game would probably benefit from a larger user base in addition to the obvious balance concerns. Or maybe even more expensive cards/milling, loathe as I am to suggest that. You pretty quickly seem to hit a point where everyone has a perfectly copied meta deck from gwentdb or whatever Lifecoach last streamed. Not sure how they could promote better diversity, but everyone running the same 5 decks competitively is incredibly dull.