Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
God danged do you have to play a lot of games to get to rank 10.

I built a somewhat cohesive deck that's basically all free cards and it seems to be winning most of the time. If anyone wants a super duper cheap deck try this:

Eredin

1x Cleaver
3x Wild Hunt Hound

3x Wild Hunt Navigator

3x Wild Hunt Rider
2x Archgriffin
1x Chort

1x Nithral

1x Geralt
1x Imlerith
1x Triss Merigold

3x Biting Frost
1x Decoy
1x Dimeritium Shackles
2x Quen
1x Scorch

Gwentify says it costs 4090 to craft, but, unless there's some randomness I'm unaware of in a fresh install, it shouldn't require creating any cards above a common.

General strategy is you need to win round 1, which is fine, people will usually allow that. Round 2 you play your Wild Hunt Riders (hopefully with a Quen on them) and let them waste their cards. Pass with your Riders on the board, and win round three by starting with a board of shielded inflating minions.

Mulligan is throwing back all of your Biting Frosts, and usually all but one of Wild Hunt Rider. Don't really want to see more than one Quen either.

I like to open with a Quen on a Hunt Rider because most everything in the deck does something reactive and it works better if they've put something down already. Turn 1 Nithral is okay sometimes.

I imagine this deck stops working once you start playing better players with better cards, but it certainly works very very well before level 10.

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I managed to Dimeritium Shackles/Scorch a 45 health gold hero against that consume setup. Was technically BM because I'd countered everything he'd done so far and I was up like 4 and only had those two cards left but I had hate in my heart because I can never seem to draw proper against that deck.

Subvisual Haze posted:

If you notice the game is treating things like you lost the match (rank decrease) there's a fair chance your opponent was using an exploit.

this happened to me three times in ~8 games yesterday

In casual matches vs sub-rank 10s what the hell

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 22, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I mean, it only happened when I was about to win a round and I didn't get the win afterwards.

The deck building and card creation UI is super annoying in this dang game

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
One of the first things I did around level 2 was play a game where the final round with one card left I managed to pull a Royal Decree after having played all three other golds

I immediately milled the Royal Decree on the assumption that no complete deck would ever use it instead of a 4th gold. I mighta been kinda right, but I didn't realize how useful it'd be in the intermediate stages before I could afford the actual golds I'm trying to use in the final version hah oops dangit

Anyhow I'm posting again about how bad the deck builder/collection interface is. I keep finding more stuff that's poo poo about it, amazing. DID YOU KNOW if you change the filter to "owned" the option to transmute your cards temporarily disappears? Wow! Owned indeed

Three different designs for the Trio cards is fun, yet also annoying to collect 9 of one card before it auto-mills.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

botany posted:

royal decree is a good card actually.

what do you mean "actually" i just wrote a sad lil story about milling then immediately realizing it was one of the most versatile cards in the game

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Transmuting Roach is the smartest thing I've done so far in this game. Excellent card to have animated.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Man I was about to win a round three that would reward me 6 kegs, my opponent was pointing a card, my wifi gave out for less than 10 seconds and it immediately gave me the loss.

Won my way back to 3693, right below the threshold, then tied my most recent game, -5 points. Hah, I think I'll stop playing for today

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Alright, so my Skellige deck is pretty loving mean. I can basically cycle and recycle units out of the Graveyard and make them stronger each round. I win by placing high numbers down and that's proven effective in casual and ranked play.

I'm utterly wrecked by weather decks though. I only have one clear skies, and basically have to rely on Kambi to clear bad weather conditions, which hasn't proven to be a great combo, even if it is flashy.

My choice of golds is kind of meh. I got rid of Ermion, got Kambi, I have a Gaunter O'Dimm which sounds like not a very worthwhile card to be using and I'm trying to figure out whether I wanna melt down Gaunter and Kambi and try to buy a better gold card? Losing a whole board just to give my opponent 16 points doesn't seem to be worthwhile investment, but I don't want to do something foolish with rare cards.

What do other Skellige deck users reccomend I do? What cards might help bolster my chances? I got a necromancy card the other day and it's proven incredibly valuable, so more cards that help my graveyard king strategy work.

Also gently caress Nilfgaard medics.

Edit: I've been running 30 cards, which has seemed adequate for my strategy.

I was having the same problem, got up to 16 or so with Queensguard, but more and more often people were stealing and/or eating my graveyard.

Teched in some other stuff, removed Draig Bon-Dhu because he was just buffing my opponent, got a slightly better WR, but I kept running into more and more difficult matches and finding games that were unwinnable from the opening hand. A discard deck silenced my bear and RNGed a Queensguard out of my deck and I figured it was time to switch. Try this instead, Queensguard with Queensguards:
http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/26489-4300-70-wr-discard-cerys
A ton more options for things to do, fewer ruinous hands because you can throw things out more easily. I'm Something like 10-2-1 with it and up to 19, and the losses and the draw were from misplays

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Hah I thought the ladder worked like Hearthstone and once you got past 4500 you started doing ranked play, so i was just taking it easy doing my dailies, hey neat I'm almost up to legend but no actually I'm top 150 in North America now :wth: wait am I actually good at this game?

at that point I immediately started outthinking myself and losing a bunch of games I would have won otherwise, took a while to stabilize again. Take it easy, fun game no pressure. I was doing all sorta wrong stuff, even queued up the wrong deck once on accident. 'Course, playing smarter players means the game's way more difficult now. Don't get to see much of the round one misplay oops emote (PLAYER HAS FORFEITED)

A lot of games do seem to come down to who draws their golds, so yeah Bran is great for that.

Still mad that it denied me a bunch of kegs by not starting me at the bottom of the ladder tho. I'm an RPG dude I just wanna level up a bunch until the game is too easy and then I start playing a different game

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 30, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Problem with Radovid is you know they have it. Kinda trivial to play around and bait that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I got up to like 4400 but then started loving around and trying weird stuff, ended the season like 4050, do I get access to the pro ladder?