Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Started playing last week and one of the first rares I opened was Queensguard, which I immediately thought was really cool and possibly powerful so I've been playing SK resurrect/discard ever since. Reading through this thread though, apparently I'm huge degenerate but I think maybe it's not that good anymore or at least was never the most hated SK deck?

In any case, I'm having a lot of fun learning the game (currently level 7) and hovering over cards people play against me and watching them hover over mine. I love this place I'm in right now where I've discovered a really fun game but I don't know all the ins and outs yet. Some opponents seem to know exactly what my game plan is and they have as many rares as me, while others still seem to be playing the Starter Deck Plus Bits decks I was playing only a few days ago.

I crafted Cerys as my first gold even though I didn't think it would be super good and crafting a neutral would probably have been more useful, but that extra seven power feels crucial almost every time she hits the board. I always start the game with Bran -> dump 2 x QG and Cerys, then I boost the QGs with that silver guy if I have him in my hand, then based on what my opponent is doing I decide whether to pass round one to them (I usually do).

I think I have all of the good silvers for this deck but I really need to replace my starter Geralt and I guess Triss Merigold, though I think she's still pretty decent for a gold? My other gold is Ermion and he's super good almost every time I draw him (even if I don't have any discard guys, it lets me dig for more resurrect priests or the Captains which are often 14 power in round three).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah I've had the medic played against me, with unfortunate results. I played against a couple of consume Monsters last night and I was expecting they would consume my QGs because I swear that's happened to me before, but they didn't. Is there a commonly played consume card which can eat things in my graveyard?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Playing my resurrect/discard SK deck last night a NG opponent used his first turn to grab one of my QGs with the medic, then on his second turn he used his leader ability to return the medic and grab another one. I guess I should have played the one in my hand on my second turn to stop that, but then he could have just grabbed one later on after I strengthened it so I'm not sure.

I actually won the game in round three due to my 13 power captains and a Deployed Gremist turning two of his dead cows into raging bears. It felt like he made a really clever play on the second round by immediately passing to me, making me spend a card to win the round and then making me play first since I won the round (I'm not 100% sure but I think if you win a round you have to play first on the next one?)

In the last few turns of the game he played some abilities he'd obviously been saving which made us both draw cards, but my deck was empty. Pretty tense match!

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Alright, so my Skellige deck is pretty loving mean. I can basically cycle and recycle units out of the Graveyard and make them stronger each round. I win by placing high numbers down and that's proven effective in casual and ranked play.

I'm utterly wrecked by weather decks though. I only have one clear skies, and basically have to rely on Kambi to clear bad weather conditions, which hasn't proven to be a great combo, even if it is flashy.

What do other Skellige deck users reccomend I do? What cards might help bolster my chances? I got a necromancy card the other day and it's proven incredibly valuable, so more cards that help my graveyard king strategy work.

Gremist with Decoy and Sigrdrifa for recursion usually gives me enough answers to weather when I need them. This deck is what I'm currently running to level up in casual (almost level 10 winning a fair bit more than losing) and I'll probably run it in ranked too because I've spent all of my resources thus far to craft these SK golds and silvers.

I have a few other SK silvers/golds I could swap in or out but I don't feel like there's any real need until I start seeing what the ranked meta is like.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I modified my own QG/discard deck to be more like this one from the recent snapshot post. Basically just removed the Clan Dimun Pirates for Mardroeme/First Light/Clan Heymaey Skald and I'm still using Gremist because I don't have an Alzur's Double-Cross. At first I wondered why the Skald was there because there were better bronzes, but it actually makes for a really good late game rez target for the priestesses (and it has a few other minor benefits like Igni protection).

I'm not seeing a lot of meta decks yet (I'm only rank 8) but I don't really have a huge problem with consume because the deck can still put out huge numbers without the QGs. I got hit with a 32 point Letho bomb last night and I still managed to tie the game, but that was Reveal NF which I guess isn't a strong deck to begin with.

In pretty much all versions of my SK deck so far, my first card played is almost always Bran and the last is Coral. I really like how Gwent deck building is all about packing as much synergy into your deck as possible so you can empty it all out in a predictable way each game.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Had two games the other night where I didn't draw Coral at all (playing QG/discard) and man those were a sad couple of games. In one of them my opponent's last play was to Henselt a Reaver Hunter, adding like 50 points to a row. So very sad.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah I can't imagine where I'd be without Coral vs dwarves and some NR decks.

I just played a mirror match and in R3 after rezzing my Draig for a second QG boost my opponent played... Birna Bran (hyperlinking it to simulate the hover over I just did in the match). I lost that game.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Mind posting a link? Out of all the factions I like the way NG plays the most, but I put all my initial resources into a QG/Discard deck which I've been using to rank up. I think I have enough scraps and stuff now to make any one NG deck since I already have a few golds which seem to be common to a lot of them.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

dennyk posted:

Sure, ain't my deck though:

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/26649-4350-top-150-dashguard

Normally I tweak netdecks a bunch, but this one's been working really well as-is and I honestly can't think of anything I'd change given the current meta. You could maybe swap out a Standard Bearer for some other bronze tech card if you aren't seeing much weather, but they're rather handy for keeping your Ocvist alive in a pinch as well.

Thanks for this. I thought I understood how the deck worked at a glance but I kept thinking "hmm, but they could just counter Bork by playing a buff card or something" then I read the guide and slapped my forehead (you time it so Bork goes off when the opponent has no cards in hand). Totally crafting this deck tonight.

I really like how deck building in this game is all about maximizing synergies with the knowledge that you will probably be able to draw and/or use every card in your deck each game. It feels like the decisions you make when building a deck or playing the game are more meaningful than in any of the digital card games based on the MTG framework (which is all of them).

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

My first impressions are that this deck is pretty hard to play! I've played NF before and I'm familiar with all of the cards in it but when I drew my first hand I suddenly felt like I was playing the game for the first time again (coming off of weeks of playing nothing but SK). I played six games in casual mode and it felt like every opponent but one (the one win I had) knew exactly what my deck was trying to do, which was kind of unexpected because I'm rank 14 and I've never faced this deck even once.

My first opponent took me apart with what seemed like a SK axemen deck but with card advantage like Ocvist and Avallac'h (maybe this is a standard meta deck?) One of his plays was to demote a gold card draw (I think it was Avallac'h, not sure why my memory is so bad since it was only last night) then in a later round he Sigrdrif'd it back. I got destroyed by Yennefer in another game, and then I almost won one against consume except when Bork destroyed a Nekker another boosted one got pulled from his deck, giving him the win. He must've felt real good about one.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I'm about the same MMR as you and I feel like it's easier to win in ranked than casual at our level, at least if you have a high value deck. I currently win a lot more than I lose in ranked with standard QG/Discard but I still see a lot of opponents playing decks they obviously made themselves, and also a fair bit of basic Geralt/Triss, whereas when I play casual it feels like I get matched more often against decks with a very similar scrap value to my own.

I guess in casual there will also be a lot of possibly highly ranked people testing whatever new netdeck is on the front page of the database sites too, so there's that.

edit : Actually scrap value doesn't really make sense in this game; every deck with min size and max gold/silver will have the same scrap cost, right? I guess I mean I see a lot of decks where I can see the archetype they're going for but they don't have all the optimal cards for it yet.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 10, 2017

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I think he was being sarcastic!

Playing Dashgaard some more I came up against a NF reveal deck that turned like 40 points into gold in R3 with Letho. Rip.

I guess that's a pretty rare matchup but I kind of want to swap one of the Standard Bearers for a Shackles because it feels like YenCon is a hard counter to this deck when they drop it early in R3, which happened twice last night. I can't think of a way to play around it because this deck takes long turns with all of the card draw, but I guess I should save Avallac'h until late in the round since one of the times I played it early my opponent drew into their Yen.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Magic Underwear posted:

If you won R1 you should be bleeding as hard as possible in R2, you want a short R3 so you can win on gold value and your scorch effects are most effective. You should try especially hard to win R1 against swarm I'd say. If I was playing swarm I'd try to beat you in R1, open pass R2 and a long R3 so that even if I get hit with scorch it only hits a small proportion of my bronze value. So don't let me do that.

I honestly think shackles is a crap card.

Oh right that makes perfect sense, and reading the guide again it says not to open pass R2, which is what I was doing.

In a couple of consume games I was playing R1/T1 Auckes and Myrg to bust eggs, and it felt like the right play (and I won those games). It can be surprisingly hard to keep Ocvist alive, though, even with a follow-up Standard Bearer to buff him.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah I love winning R1 against dwarves and going into R2 with a huge point deficit but still making them waste cards because they can't afford to pass. I also love going into R3 and laying out four golds in a row when I know they're holding back damage in their hand or they're relying on their board damage (eg. weather) to do something.

I'm slowly building the mental checklist of what I need to accomplish in R1/R2 vs different opponents now, like against consume I want to force them to play vampire man in R1 or R2 so they can't turn points into gold in R3, and against SK now I try to mulligan and/or dig for Auckes because he's MVP vs ships and axemen (though I've learned I can't afford to grab the third mull unless I've already sent back a golem and a pikemen).

I know there probably isn't a general rule for this, but in what situations would you try to seal the game in R2? I feel like I could've done it a couple of times when I had a 1-2 card lead and all of my golds, but I went into R3 anyway.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

So close, and yet so far...

Knight boosts back to 10 after stripping armor.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I just searched for that deck and it looks like dumb fun so I'll have to give it a go.

I'm starting to feel like less of a big man now that I'm a bit higher in rank (19) and most of my opponents are packing netdecks just like mine, but I'm still doing well with Dashgaard. SK QG feels like the hardest matchup but luckily it doesn't seem that popular. I'm seeing mostly NR (several different flavors), consume, and a few dwarf decks.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

It's this one which you posted a couple of pages ago. Maybe my sample size is just too small but I haven't beaten a QG deck yet, while I don't think I've lost to ships/axemen at all and I've definitely seen more of them.

Also I just checked and I'm actually only rank 18 at the moment. I wonder if packs kept now can have new cards in them when opened later; that sort of thing seems to vary by game. Anyone seen any dev comment about that?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I've played enough QG myself to know how annoying Vicovaro can be so if I tech anything it'll probably be that, but I don't really see a lot of QG so I'm not sure. I do like the suggestion to try to end the game in R2, that's something I should consider more often with this deck when the board state allows for it.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I'm still playing standard Dashgaard but it feels like its one weird trick (lining up with Myrg in R3) doesn't work very well against Dagon boards. I'm hovering around 3950 at the moment, for reference.

I came across this variant on Reddit, which basically replaces Avallac'h with Vilgefortz and Scorch/Myrg/Ocvist for Peter/Roach/Assire. I'm sure some of these changes are for the 4000+ meta but they're interesting nonetheless. The poster likes Vilge in R3 for destroying huge dwarves or for killing your own harpy egg taken from a Vicovaro Medic (if you need the draw). I assume the Assire is there for returning Roach to the deck in R2 because playing her in R3 can interfere with Bork, though I guess it all depends on what your opponent is doing.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Swapped from Dashgaard back to SK QG and broke 4K. Somehow three of my last five games were draws, one of them ending with a huge Reaver mathsplosion which left us both on 131.

Most satisfying win was against a Kambi deck where he'd shackled my Cerys on an earlier round. I rezzed Cerys with Sigrdrifa to remove the lock on the turn before the bird exploded and then played my final card, a priestess, putting four Queensguards and Cerys back onto the board with just enough power to win.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I've always wanted to make a NR deck so with the new patch I crafted Natalis, Shani and Dijkstra, and I've been experimenting with Stennis combos and recursion. I think Natalis/Reinforcements/Marching Orders/Stennis/Shani/Trollololo/Nenneke is a really solid core (not necessarily all of those in the one deck), I'm just not sure about the bronzes. I kind of like this line-up the most at the moment.

I tried out Drummers but in two games their random buffs got me Gigni'd hard, plus they seem kind of slow. They also don't have armor and it feels like armor is pretty good at the moment with all the weather and ST spells flying around.

Regarding silvers, Summoning Circle wasn't in the list last night but it's interesting. Over the ten games I played Margarita got crazy value in almost all of them (the reset moreso than the lock). For the golds, I don't have Gigni so I've been using Keira, but out of my other options I think Phillipa would probably work better. I mostly used Keira to restore armor to my Knight-Elects after they were stripped, since having Reaver Scouts in the deck makes it even less likely that a bomb Epidemic moment will present itself, and I have no weather cards to use her first effect.

NR armor has a fun mini-game where you and your opponent constantly try to remove or replace the armor on KEs every turn (or if they're a weather deck they focus intently on what to do about the Redanian Knights). I like the way this deck plays, but I do miss being able to Skellen for my golds in R3 if they're not in hand.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 1, 2017

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

If you're playing Foltest, should your T1 play always be Foltest? I can understand if you have cards that spawn units like PFI you might want to delay it but it seems like every Foltest opponent I've ever faced plays him on turn one.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah I've been wondering that myself. I played a bunch of games with Foltest last night and I don't really understand how he's better than Radovid for these kinds of decks. The best I could come up with is that it puts your Knights out of range of an Alzur's Thunder, I guess?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I've been putting Hailstorm into all of my decks since the patch and it's hardly ever a dead draw.

I built my first monsters deck this weekend, a frosty Eredin with all the wild hunt units. It's not a good deck (its most notable weakness being it has exactly one non-reactive play so going first sucks) but I did learn a lot about deck building, and it got me wondering whether it's possible to make a good deck that doesn't follow the typical pattern of All-in R1/Open pass R2/Drop a Bomb R3.

The only enemy Eredin I faced in 20 or so games destroyed me. He kind of got lucky in R1 dropping two Ice Giants that triggered off my own frost, but he had Drowners and the Crones and was able to make generally higher impact plays. I get the impression monsters aren't in a good place at the moment, but has anyone had success with weather or Eredin? I'd try consume but I don't have the golds for it.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah Hailstorm was basically my finisher stand-in most games. I've been ranking up with Radovid Armor but I kind of want to try SK boats for my next side project. I've played against it with a few different decks and it feels pretty hard to stop its engine with all the resets, strengthens and priestesses.

Unrelated rules trivia : was watching MegaMogwai's stream earlier today and apparently if you play a weaken effect on a 1-strength unit it becomes 0 and gets banished. The card in question was Kambi...

Edit : Not specifically 1-strength, I think it's just if it becomes zero. Situation was playing Regis on Kambi.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 4, 2017

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Did Succubus get changed in the patch? I've only seen it played a few times against me so I don't remember if it always worked that way. Seems like a Villentretenmerth play where you play it late in R3 since it would attract all the hate in the world.

Eskel seems real good. I mean, I've only been on the receiving end but it's a pretty good way to deal with big threats like Trollololo.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I generally play enough games each night to get the 100 ore reward and at the moment I'm swapping between Radovid Armor (boring) and this NG deck which is basically Spies.dec but with some of the good cards replaced with Letho and Fringilla (fun). I made modifications to a lot of Fringilla decks before finding this one and it seems to be about as good as you can get it if you want to play with those two cards.

I'm 3100 now and mostly seeing other NR/ST netdecks. People don't anticipate Letho or Fringilla and I like to think it's because the deck can often operate as a stealth spies deck until R3 when you break out one of those cards, but really it's probably just that I'm not at a good players rank yet. I haven't been Scorched or Gigni'd using Fringilla on my side of the board, and neither has anyone screwed up my Tibor. I know these cards all have glaring weaknesses and I'll probably have to abandon them as I climb, but they're so much more interesting than the alternatives.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Playing ST against Dagon last night I won R1 then I was able to get his Yennefer out in R2 so I thought I'd have an easy win. We entered R3 on four cards and he opened with Woodland Spirit then Renewed Yennefer for something like 36 points. He Scorched my biggest unit on his last turn but I managed to take the game with Zoltan + Algais -> Lacerate. Still, it felt like he pulled an absurd amount of force out of nowhere. Does the Woodland Spirit package need a nerf?

I usually watch Mogwai during lunch at work and now that I'm looking to get back to 21 for the end of season rewards again I've been playing his ST Francesca deck. I really like how much tutoring the deck has and you can pull off some big R1 tempo plays, but one glaring weakness is that it has no way to eliminate big R1 threats like Siege Supports or Enforcers. He mentioned the possibility of running Iorveth but I feel like the only card it could replace would be Aglais and while she's useless in some matchups, in others (like the Dagon game above) she outright wins the game.

Anyone been having a lot of success with ST? Is Francesca mulligan the way to go, or is Spellatael better in the current meta? I ranked up last season with Spies and QG/Discard so I wanted to try something different this time. ST is pretty fun and a lot more forgiving than Spies even if it's not as rewarding (and not as good).

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

And this is why I love Aglais!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al97TiLaEvI

I forced him out of R1 with 37 points in two turns (I started with two Wardancers in play) then bled him dry in R2. I haven't faced a lot of SK Restore yet but I feel like this deck has a lot of tools for handling it.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, Aglais is terrible against NG but at least all the mulligan effects I have ensure she's never a completely dead draw. I tried that Eredin deck you mentioned because I wanted to use Succubus for something but I'm really not used to playing with Monsters cards and the harpies kept screwing up my mulligan. I'm assuming it's the same deck - the one with Old Speartip as well?

Just checked the season rewards and I thought 21 was the level before GM but it's actually 20, which is where I ended up last time. Pretty much any front-page net deck should be able to make it to 20, right? I'm still enjoying my Francesca mulligan deck but I wonder what it would take to hit 21 this season. I'm guessing the meta at that level is all Dagon/SK Restore/NG Spies?

Kalko fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 15, 2017

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

The Emhyr talk on the previous page has got me back to playing spies again, running with this mix. The first thing I noticed after playing so much Calveit is that it's harder to line up the Joachim/Nauzicaa Brigade combo because I can't be sure whether there are any silvers on top, but I wonder if that's just because I'm not thinning enough in R1.

If your opening hand has two Emissaries and you can afford to mulligan one, should you? The best case scenario, of course, is that you play a single Emmisary and chain into the others (hopefully with a Brigade or Enforcer on the table) but I feel like I should probably have Ceallach in hand before mulling down to one. Also, I think I'll swap out one of my Enforcers for another Medic for consistency (basically Subvisual Haze's bronze package) because I do feel the difference in thinning compared to Calveit.

My most common bounce target is Ceallach, he's just so versatile even if he only really has two options. Assire has been amazing (most recently returning a 17 point Djenge Frett in R3 the turn before he played Sigrdrifa) and I don't really like Vanhemar but I feel like I need some weather protection otherwise it eats me alive on long rounds.

I'm 3900 now and seeing a fair bit of Eredin - in my last game my opponent went first and played frost into an empty row. I played an Impera Brigade into it to pre-empt the Drowner but I wonder if that was really a good play. Seemed like a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of thing. I tried to wait for two weathers to appear before playing Vanhemar but I ended up clearing 2 x 1 with Emhyr bounce. Playing around weather always feels awkward.

Lost a game to Spella'tael by five points earlier. I correctly identified the Farseers as prime targets and dealt with all three, and I even won R1 with a two card advantage. I forgot about the Protectors though, and they got me in the final round. Everything he played had a Quen shield, too, so I almost roped every turn trying to work out the best moves with what I had. I can see how Peter is an auto-win against this deck, but what can I do without him? Should I have extended R2 to try to get a Protector or two out of him?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm sure I will have more questions soon enough - I only just learned why sometimes I would miss some Enforcer shots when pulling them out with Emissaries. It turns out that if you shoot the Emissary with the Enforcer you pulled from its trigger, the spy trigger shot from that Enforcer doesn't proc.

Regarding decks and reading wincons, I'm finding as I rank up higher the pool of possible decks per leader is shrinking but I still get tripped up fairly often. Emhyr, Calveit, Dagon, and King Bran are probably the most predictable in the sense that I know exactly what bronzes they're running and I can guess half the silvers. I usually expect swarm from Foltest, but sometimes it's weather control and last night I lost a game because he was running Reaver Hunters. Reaver Hunters! Haven't seen them since last season.

I've faced the Brouver Hoog deck that spawns those guys that hit every row for three a bunch of times, so naturally the first time I decided to start out by row stacking I got punished by a weird dwarf buff deck that happened to run Hailstorm (I don't think the bomber deck runs it?) I made a Queensguard player forfeit after my T1 play of sending his QGs back into his deck with Assire (seemed like an overreaction to me but I guess it was a strong play). Crach Swordsmen is one of the most fun decks to play against, whether it was with my Francesca deck that could move his guys around or with my Spies deck that let me block his damage triggers with my Emissaries.

Knowing what's in your opponent's hand is a key element for success in any card game, but I have to say the strategizing in Gwent feels more rewarding than in any other game I've tried (though it's not hard to beat Hearthstone in that department). One time I was playing my ST deck against Henselt in R3 and we each still had three cards in hand; I activated Francesca and had to make a choice about what would win me the game. He had stacked three guys on the same row already, which had to be a telegraph for Commander's Horn. I picked Algais and stacked my last guys as well and I was able win the game with a slim margin. That felt good.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Update : I swapped Royal Decree for Renew, Vanhemar for Iris, and one Infiltrator for a Nauzicaa Standard Bearer as my only weather tech. I figure Dagon doesn't spam a lot of weather and in the decks that do, one Vanhemar isn't enough anyway. Since replacing it I've managed to survive long gold weather rounds by bouncing it but I did have basically all of the NG value bronzes each time. Haven't really played enough games to recommend it generally but it's working out alright so far.

Iris has been a major benefit to the deck. Having that one extra big value play has won a lot of games that drawing Vanhemar would have lost, and the NG Spies package has particularly good support for her. And Renew just adds a lot of consistency because each of the three golds (Menno/Rainfarn/Leo) are always great value plays.

I just made it to 19, winning against an Eredin that played Woodland Spirit and Yennefer in a short R3. He used Caretaker to remove the spy status from Iris but sadly for him, Menno deals four damage regardless. Just 250 points to go...

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I'm trying for 20 as well (Emhyr) and seeing a lot more Dagon the closer I get. I can handle the weather, it's the swarm that usually gets me. I've been thinking of subbing Vanhemar back in to handle that, or maybe even Yennefer.

If you run Yen for anti-swarm, though, do you try to time it so you drop her before they drop theirs, or do you drop it afterwards to negate their use? I can see how dropping it directly after they play Woodland Spirit eliminates a few bodies, but you never know if they have the fire elemental guy or if they've saved a harpy or something.

I like the idea of Cahir for catching spies after you've used Emhyr, but that's kind of an edge case. I can see how he has generally good value but the only gold I would swap it for would be Renew, and while Renew is sometimes a dead draw, at other times it delivers a win right into my lap. I guess this is the eternal dilemma; too many great golds (and silvers) competing for limited slots.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Well I just abandoned my climb to 20 due to lack of time. I thought I'd reached it the previous season with NG but my profile says my max is 19, so that's where it's staying for now.

I managed to maintain a 56% win rate with Emhyr Spies over 70 games (ie. from when I first installed GwentUp) and I think my highest rank was about 4100. I tended to only play enough games most days to get the 100 ore reward and I really underestimated how long it would take to get 20 (I can't imagine the slog that must be 21!)

In hindsight, I should have modified my deck more often, changing up my silvers at least to fit what I was seeing on a day to day basis. One day would be heavy Dagon, but today I hardly saw any, instead a lot of Spella'tael and that new dwarf movement deck. I swapped Roach and Assire out for Auckes and Iris, and swapped Renew for Yennefer, who I really started to like in a bunch of match-ups (despite only having one Dagon game all day, which I won thanks to her).

I stuck with Spies because I didn't want to have to go through the process of relearning a new deck and all the nuances of it this late in the season. I'm familiar with all the netdecks and I watch streamers pretty often during lunch at work, so I feel like my game knowledge is about as good as it can be. Where I fall down is not taking enough time for my turns. There were more than a few games where if I'd sequenced the last few plays in R3 a different way I would have won, and it only occurred to me a minute or so after the game ended.

I also often feel like a lot of my early round plays could be better, but it's very hard to unravel a game's sequence when reflecting on it later to work out whether a different order of events or a different card played would have mattered.

I read a few 'guides' on various netdecks for NG earlier just to brush up on what these super successful 4500+ 65% winrate people say about their decks, and one guy said you should drop Cantarella on T1 if you lose the flip. Is that really a good play? I can sort of see it, and I tried it a few times, but I found it hard to judge whether it was really giving me an advantage (nobody open passed when I did it, and most played their own spy, which I then used Emhyr on, kind of on autopilot).

At least I'll have a LOT of kegs to open in a couple of days, and I look forward to seeing how Dagon rises to the top of the meta once again.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Various Meat Products posted:

Except you're not really playing -24 points since you're getting a lot of those offset with spy synergy and you can make up the difference in a long round with Spygaard's huge snowball potential. And it's not like you have to turn around and play that spy again immediately, if your opponent passes and you end up going down a card to take R1 then you can always get your card advantage back later.

Yeah, I should have clarified. I only picked up their spy with Emhyr, I usually played it in R2.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Scrree posted:

I finally decided to bite the bullet, craft a few cards, and make a Restore Skellige deck.

But it's still just so drat scrappy I was able to go from 4050 to 4250 without dropping a single game.

I just played some games before work and went like 5-1 with this deck. I definitely chose the wrong faction to rank with, but it's too late now! I even played a lot of QG last season so it's not like I wasn't familiar with SK's strengths already, and you're right that one of their best is that they're pretty easy to play (in comparison to most other factions).

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

The dev stream this morning showed 21 new cards which will appear in the patch tomorrow, but I don't think they showed any changes to current cards. I would expect a heap of changes, though, so it's hard to say which of the current archetypes will rise or fall.

If you want to see the top net decks for this season take a look at GwentDB and click the 'This Patch' button on the front page. It should give you an idea of what bronze packages have the most synergy per deck type and from there you can pick your favorite leader and build away.

The gold immunity patch also buffed most bronze cards in the game by a few points so that bronzes are now far and away the most impactful part of your deck. This has the side effect of making certain other gold/silver cards more appealing as well (eg. The Guardian giving your opponent a 6-str bronze is more of a gut punch than it used to be, and playing Vilgefortz on your own guy is generally going to be worth more points than beforehand).

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Knowlue posted:

Ended up getting pretty lucky in my keg openings. 42 kegs and got 6 legendaries: Iorveth, Caretaker (had him already), Vilgefortz, Prem Yennefer, Succubus, and Golden Ale

I pulled two golds from 61 kegs, though from memory I think I pulled a gold right before I started hoarding for patch day. That's still the worst rate I've had from any large batch but I guess even with bad luck protection the variance is going to get you sometimes.

I didn't watch the dev stream so I don't know if they commented on it, but I assume the Thronebreaker patch is still on schedule for this year. Hopefully it includes the UI revamp they mentioned where you can get to your collection from the deck builder page. When I first started playing I couldn't believe that wasn't an option, and I also hate how it takes a few seconds to enter or leave those pages. I guess it's all the card art being loaded or something but it'd be nice if they could get rid of that delay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Played a bunch of games last night and ran into mostly NG Reveal. Everyone seems to love the new 1-str guy who swaps power with Cantarella and while it's a super obvious combo and good and all I don't know if it makes Reveal a T1 deck, though I guess Alchemist got buffed too (and it's early days so who knows). Also, using a reveal on Hefty Helge seems like pretty poor value most of the time in comparison to other reveal effects.

I tried playing mulligan/buff ST with Hattori and I like the way it plays but it doesn't feel very strong. Then again, I built it myself using a big chunk of my old mulligan deck. I wanted to try a heap of new cards but it's hard to pass up the Commando/Aelirenn/Isengrim/Toruviel package for a huge tempo swing. I did try using the buffed Ele'yas to see if I could turn him into a big R3 finisher, but it's pretty inconsistent even with all the mulligan effects.