Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I've been playing Thronebreaker and I'm really torn about what I feel about it.

On the one hand the graphics and attention to detail are really nice. I'm enjoying being back in the Witcher universe and it's especially interesting doing the 2nd Nilfgaardian war. I like the characters and I also in theory like Gwent although as others have said it's insanely easy - even compared to the one from Witcher 3.
I barely read enemy card descriptions and only the fight at the end of Act 4 was properly and actually difficult.

However I absolutely hate the puzzles. I also don't particularly like searching for the treasure chests.
I think partly this is down to the game feeling a bit like....I've got half of something where I'm meant to get rewards for another half that I don't have. So when I open a chest I've spent ages looking for and get 300 gold I feel a bit ripped off when I've picked up more than that just looking at pieces of wood on the map.

Or when I've done a puzzle that there's just absolutely no way I'd work out on my own (I'd say out of about 50 I've been able to do 3) and your reward is nothing at all...it's just dispiriting and disappointing. The puzzles feel like a different game and I don't have the time or patience to work out the exact way they want me to play the cards, it's just not fun for me.
I wish you could skip them even if you didn't have it on easy so I can have proper games and clear the puzzles from the map without having to do them.

I'm enjoying having a deck that allows you to draw as many cards as possible and I really like levelling up my character cards by making them like you in logical ways. Having my dwarf be +++ and doing 20 damage is glorious.

It is interesting how the other factions are so much less grey (as mentioned) than in Witcher 3 or even in the books but I guess Meve is just a standard human so people will treat her differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

dud root posted:

Just got past the dwarves in Thronebreaker and I'm spent. Really enjoyable so far, but I'm not up for another full map. May need to put this down for a month or two

You've not got that long, put it on easy so you can see the stuff that actually matters.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Buller posted:

I really liked the final map story wise.

Me too. The game itself is absolutely terrible but I really enjoy the story of it. I put it to easy and enjoyed myself by just auto-winning everything.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ViolentQuiche posted:

What's the extent of the tie-in with Thronebreaker, is it worth picking up? Also, what's the deal with the reward book, just something to give you extra resources/leaders?

It's a fun story and worth playing if you like the Witcher.
The card game side of it is boring and you don't really get to properly build a deck and etc.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Megazver posted:

Since I started checking its numbers on Artifact's release, it seems to be pretty stable at ~1K on Twitch (at least during the times that I'm awake) and Artifact is at <100 now, lol.

Doesn't really say if the game is good or not though.

Azran posted:

Currently halfway through it and goddamn, every single good human being choice has backfired. This game doesn't want you to be a good person towards others.

It's a Witcher game - every choice has a downside, nothing you do will ever quite be perfect!