Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Auugggh I am already so loving tired of these bears. Why in christ's name would anyone think those needed to be buffed.

for some reason they thought they were nerfing them by boosting them to 6 strength. I'm serious, they are on the list of nerfed cards and you get a full refund for milling them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

ShowTime posted:

The Crach An Craite deck is the top deck at the moment, so you'll find not only does it work, but because it works so well people will be teching against it.

Yeah and to elaborate on this, right now, at certain ranks and certain times, you can expect to see about 80-90% (I wish I was exaggerating) of players running this deck, or something close to it. So, IMO the best thing for climbing the ladder right now is to tech specifically against this deck, unless you're good enough with it to win the mirror matchup more than half of the time. I noticed this especially around 2.5 to 3.2k mmr range, it seems to have dropped off to a little over 50% of games since I climbed a bit higher. Might also be a time of day thing too though, its always hard to tell.

Anyway probably none of this applies to when you're just starting out and haven't even unlocked ranked mode. By the time you do the metagame will probably be shifting to something else, anyway.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

I've played a lot with BTM and I'm 99% sure it's random when it comes to ties. I've gambled with it before and it behaves about how I'd expect it to. Win some, lose some, doesn't really seem to matter about stuff like play order or whose side of the board it targets. I can recall cases where I've managed to steal games by doing this, and times when with the exact same setup it's backfired.

In other words you should never actually rely on this card if there's a tie on the board. The only time you should play it in this situation is if you're going to lose anyway. Otherwise hold on to it and try to knock out their low str units with frost or rain. Also dont be afraid to swap with a "low" target, swapping between a 1 and an 8 is still like playing a 14 point silver, which isn't bad.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

RatHat posted:

Uh other way around. Ciri returns to your hand when you LOSE the round.

Yes, that's the point. You play her while you're ahead, that way your opponent either needs to pass and hand you an easy win, or you throw the round next turn and come out with a 2 card advantage. You should almost never play ciri while behind on points.

EvilMike fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 21, 2017

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

CJ posted:

So my record for this patch with my old Queensguard deck is, 5-4 against Monsters, 2-0 against Nilfguard, 6-2 against Northern Realms. 3-2 against Scoia'tael and 5-20 against Skellige.

What deck beats Kambi and axe men while having an ok time against Monsters? Since that accounts for 90% of the decks i am against i might as well focus on them.

Personally I like playing a weird dagon fog deck with more spells than normal, with the idea of teching against both monsters and skellege. Win about 4/5 against the former, 2/3 against the latter. The main reason I play it though is just to annoy skellege players by stealing morkvaarg or super buffed axemen. It's not the strongest option available, but it's worth it for the occasional time someone concedes the game in round 1 and doesn't send gg. The better players know how to get around this, but the thing about flavour of the week decks is that most of the people playing them are really bad at the game.

Letho decks can also do funny things by banishing all their melee row, or by eating lord of undvik (banishing it won't trigger the graveyard effect). These kinds of decks are really hard to play well though.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

EvanTH posted:

I mean, it only happened when I was about to win a round and I didn't get the win afterwards.

The deck building and card creation UI is super annoying in this dang game

Yeah. It's the worst i've ever seen in a ccg client, and that includes the various piles of trash released under the magic duels series. I'd be shocked if they aren't planning on reworking it. I mean, if you are building a deck and decide you want to craft a missing cards, you need to jump through 6 loading screens. It just feels rushed and not even fully implemented, especially if you compare it to something like Eternal (also open beta), which is a worse game imo, and clearly has a lower budget, but has has a fantastic deckbuilding (and deck sharing) interface that makes gwent look bad. The only thing that really makes it usable is the tiny deck size gwent has. Imagine trying to use an interface like this for a game that requires 60 or 75 cards.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

ShowTime posted:

I was actually just watching that and I remember seeing a conversation about it on Reddit a couple weeks ago. Unless the card is saying that your deck is shuffled after using some kind of tutoring/searching effect, it looks like the order of cards you see when searching is the order in which you will draw them. Might be intended, might be lazy coding. I imagine CDPR will address it at some point and either fix Dandelion to shuffle or make it know that the effect is intentional. I don't really mind either way. If this somehow makes Dandelion and other similar cards slightly more powerful to a skilled player, so be it.

Always assumed that was a deliberate feature. You even see this difference in northern realms decks, since reinforcement shuffles and dandelion doesn't, and they both seem to work as you'd expect.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

You can sort of play around kambi by predicting it ahead of time, since there are certain tells you can watch out for. You need to be especially aggressive in making sure you play the last card in round 3, and can also try to save gold cards. They'll try to shackle your golds so you'll need a lot of them.

That said kambi is a badly designed card imo.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

When it comes to bronze units, bears are a bit overpowered at 6 str but imo they'd work fine as a 5 strength unit with the same effect as now. They'd still be really strong but they aren't the cause of the problem, just the most visible (and maybe annoying) part of it. Axemen are worse (at the very least they shouldn't be agile). And there's also the whole issue of weather spam (well, just frost really), which imo is the real problem. I think the other problems are just a tuning issue, but weather still remains an actual design problem... fixing it isn't going to be as simple as adjusting a few numbers.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Spell decks can be countered by just getting card advantage over them. Ideally, you can bait them into making lovely plays in round 1 like playing weather on an empty board, letting you get a huge tempo lead, and then pass. Usually this either wins you the round or forces them to go down 2 cards in order to win. Either of these is good for you because it means you'll have the advantage in round 3. Winning round 1 is better though if you can drag out round 2 and force them to play their bronzes early. But don't sacrifice card advantage to do this.

The rest should be pretty easy as long as your deck has a card that can deal with hugely buffed units. And if you do, you're pretty likely to have drawn it by round 3. And if you don't, well, this is just a bad matchup for your deck.

There's also the option of completely making GBS threads on them by playing regis, but he's hardly necessary. Just handy if you feel like destroying their entire gameplan with a single card (that's fairly good against a bunch of different decks).

Really, this is a strong deck but it's far from being god-tier, and it's countered by about as much stuff as other strong decks are. The problem is that it's usually boring to play against.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Subvisual Haze posted:

Why in the world would they buff the Trappers and their lacerate on a stick?

NG is odd, almost all the new buffs focus on reveal. Calveit is worse now that he can't pull golds.

It looks like emhyr can bounce golds now too and has a big power boost. Calviet looks pretty bad now though.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Oh, my bad.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Even without rally you could just run buffs... rally is funny when you get a big chain going but it's unpredictable. But even something boring like merc + swallow potion would be an easy 10 point bronze that also gives deck thinning.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Maredrome is the best counter to nekkers because it resets + kills them WITHOUT triggering deathwish. And also makes quick work of vran warriors. Geralt: igni can also be very strong, but its good against almost everything atm.

Lacerate also murders consume decks if you let them get a lot of spiders out.

Some people run grave hag so you gotta watch out for that in round 3... if it seems like they might play it for a ton of points, be very aggressive in trying to prevent the monster player from having the last move. Grave hag is a joke to deal with as long as you can deal 2 damage, or just lock it before it triggers.

Basically it's a strong deck but it crumples if you know how to play around it and run a few tech cards (which also happen to be useful against other popular decks).

And if it becomes too popular (which it might), you can always play the ultimate anti-consume deck and start running bloody baron...

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Weather is still very common at high mmr, coming from the 3.8k-3.9k range I can say that it's pretty common to run into monsters decks and the occasional northern realms that runs weather. The thing about bronze weather is the cards are usually bad when played from the hand, but still useful when played by some other card. For example dagon with foglets is still 12 points on the board + 2 damage per turn, which is pretty strong, especially now that fewer people are running clears. I've even seen a couple people running gold weather again, though I'm chalking that up to people experimenting, for now.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Ugh I am not a fan of the way this meta feels so far. Every game just feels like it comes down to which player drew scorch and / or Gigni in their opening hand. Like I literally have not played against a single person since the patch that wasn't running Gigni, it's a little absurd. Having to play around those two cards at all times just feels so clunky and drawn-out, and there are way less people playing anything that actually interacts with the opponent's board in other ways.

You should always play around scorch, it might be more popular now than it was a week or two ago, but it's one of those cards that just defines the way the game is played. Same goes with igni, the card goes in and out of favour, it just happens to be in right now because popular decks are leaning heavily on buffs and huge bronze units, so its very easy to get value out of it atm. So this means even if you aren't playing one of those decks, you always need to play around igni. But the card's never been unpopular so it's a good idea to do this anyway.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

A lot of this game just needs to be redesigned. So many mechanics are just weird or half baked at the moment (ambush and trio come to mind, but there are lots of others), but there are also just issues core to the game itself, like the coinflip being too important, the mulligan system being weird, and imo the deck size being too small (especially in a game with so much deck thinning available).

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Trip report: wow games get much harder post 4.1k. The reduced deck variety is sad but understandable, every game being on a knife edge is really fun.

I also realised I don't get mad at gwent or feel bad when I lose, which is the opposite of how HS got. I think the more contained rng and more actual decisions help immensely

What happens at the end of the season? Does everyone's Rank reset to 0?

4k is basically where the real ladder starts, below that you're getting more points per win than you are losing per loss, assuming a 1:1 win rate, although it slows down as you get higher. In theory, anyone can reach 4k mmr, its just easier (and a LOT faster) if you are good.

I have to assume there's going to be at least a partial reset when the next season starts, because of how much inflation is built into the system. It's actually noticable if you take a break from the game for a few days... by the time you come back, scores will have inflated a bit, and you'll be playing easier opponents than when you left (assuming you haven't gotten rusty yourself). You'll also be much lower on the leaderboard, despite having the same score.

This also means that MMR doesn't mean very much imo. Leaderboard position is a better measure of player skill in this system, but even then you need to play enough to keep up with inflation.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

King Pawn posted:

He's.. not playing weather? And Igni is great?

The rapid "inflation" when they introduced the system was an artifact of everyone settling into the new, higher equilibrium. The +win/-loss differential is pretty punishing towards the top, nobody's getting 5k any time soon.

You're quite right about that, and I suspect they'll reset the ladder a ways before people start hitting 5k. There's still passive inflation though, since there are more points gained than lost on the lower end of the ladder. As more people reach the 4k level, the best players will climb a little higher. Just look at how many 4.5k+ people there are now compared to a week ago.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

I'm not sure what qualifies as the top ranks of the ladder, but I've mostly been playing in the top 5k-10k range I'd say the current metagame is the most diverse since the start of open beta. Dagon still feels like the strongest leader, but way, way easier to counter than past top decks, and also not as rampant as stuff like sk axemen was, or as boring to play against as the calviet meta before that. That's just anecdotal, but honestly, anecdotal evidence is about as useful as any of the stats that have been given out recently.

I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers that dev posted on reddit are accurate, since you need to have a greater than 50% winrate to climb much past 4k mmr. It really just depends on how the stats were collected - what's obvious is that they are using a different methodology than the gwentUp people. Unfortunately without more information the numbers don't mean much in the end, because we can't really know what they are describing.

I've also always suspected that the stats from gwentup are mostly garbage. It has the same problem (not saying how it was collected, what data was used, etc). It's possible that they're recording data from both the user and their opponent, which would skew things a lot. Only counting data from opponents would be better, since otherwise these charts are just showing what gwentup users are playing, rather than what the general population is playing. But that's just speculation - again it's impossible to really know anything other than that they're looking at this a different way from the developers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

The 3 damage makes it a lot stronger for sure, but I don't think it will become auto-include or anything. Its still mostly just a tech card. I think the most interesting change is the addition of the alchemy tag, since it becomes a tutor target with the new gold vesemir card.