Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

neongrey posted:

Fake Ciri is the gift that keeps on giving. I think she manhandled this dude so hard he didn't even gg me.

Yeah its 50/50. Either players misunderstand how she works and go ahead and just ignore her, then pass when she's worth like 10 points and lose themselves the match. Or they freak out and go completely out of their way trying to get rid of it.

Either way its never not awesome.

Edit: What is that card based on though? I don't remember a fake Ciri in Witcher 3 unless its part of one of the expansions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Boy, super fun losing over and over again at level 4 against people with solid gold borders on their avatar that have a badass deck from opening a million kegs and I'm basically using the starter deck

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

axelord posted:

This is basically my experience too. Loved GWENT in Witcher 3 wanted to like this game bet it would actually be fun if there was actual good match making but there's no fun to be had and as far as I see no way to progress without a ridiculous grind.

If your a new player I would stay away from this game.

I can only imagine how frustrating this would be to a completely new player. I was in the closed beta for a couple weeks and didn't grind so now I stuck with a lovely deck and have gone from about a 65% win percentage to today winning 5 out of 23 matches.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Err, anyone have any tips for this Dagon challenge round where he shits out an insane amount of weather? I have like 3 cards that can clear weather and he's dropping fog 5 or 6 times across the rounds and every time it revives those stupid rear end fogger things. I have no idea how I am supposed to beat this, I feel without drawing my weather clears it's basically impossible to outvalue him.

The ai always goes hard round one until you get like over 15 pts up on it, then it'll think about passing. Use this to make them use all their best cards in the first round. By round two it should pretty much be weathered out at which point the rest of their deck pretty much sucks

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

RatHat posted:

So many people fall for the Operator/Priestess of Freya/Savage Bear trap. :allears:

Please explain

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

So I got Operator and I'm trying to decide if I want to incorporate it into my Consume deck. Would y'all include it, and if so what monster would you copy?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Electronico6 posted:

The old consume list ran Operator on Vran Warrior.

Yeah, but now that Arachas Behemoth dies after 5 spawns they're less useful as endless creature generators. Also, Unseen Elder as a leader card is good for 3 free consumes so you don't necessarily need a Vran every round anymore.

I guess I could copy a Nekker round one and hang onto it until the last round when it's worth like 10 points, meanwhile my opponent only gets a worthless 2 point monster.

ShowTime posted:

Strengthen adds to base strength, which is not removable. Boost just temporarily buffs the strength and can be removed.

Operator is alright and can work in monster consume. I'd probably operate an arachas or maybe nekker warrior. Something your opponent can't utilize as well as you can. Arachas would let you make more spiders and Nekker Warrior would let you add additional Nekkers to your deck, letting you chain them more.

Yeah Arachas Behemoth might be a decent choice. Nekker Warrior could backfire on you though if your opponent uses it to make copies of anything that can be summoned.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 30, 2017

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

No Mods No Masters posted:

Yeah I don't think it needs to be nerfed right now since the rest of the archetype isn't really good enough to support it, but in a vacuum it's an insane card

I'd be fine with nerfing it's value but I wish more monster cards had the deathwish rule for the spawned harpies to interact with. Those little bastards popping out and triggering a flood of additional nekkers always makes me laugh

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I think the main problem is that generally players only get to field approx 15 cards in any game so everyone picks the 25 most powerful cards to make minimum deck size and rolls with that. I suspect if decks needed to be more like 35/40 cards we'd see a lot more diversity.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

There are many bugs that are contingent on the fact that there is no "cancel" command you can make to cancel an uncompleted action, IE if you accidentally click your leader card to play it, but decide you don't want to play it before you play it.

Therefore, you get stuck in an instance of trying to play something when something else is preventing you from playing something and therefore get forced to wait til turn end and discard a card. It's happened to me a few times, and an opponent many times. Once I played someone who got stuck like that for the rest of the game and had to just discard his whole hand.

This happened to me. I finished redrawing my initial hand and the dialogue popped up to ask if I didn't want to use my last free redraw. I didn't make a selection before time ran out so instead it closed itself and locked me out of playing any cards for the whole first round.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

No Wave posted:

I actually get a little disappointed when I take an incredibly stupid win and the GG comes regardless.

The two mortal sins of GGs are a.) not GGing when you win and b.) not GGing someone who played vanilla Geralt.

C) if you drag out the last round unnecessary even though your opponent is out of cards you also don't deserve a gg

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

No Wave posted:

Yenn's not wrong. Boar is used in the most broken deck around at the moment but doesn't lend much to deckbuilding outside of that imo. I still really like Keira but a lot of people think she's not worth it, and she's part of a faction that has one extreme cheese deck and seems totally disadvantaged otherwise. Comparing most NR bronzes to other factions is just a depressing exercise.

Whats the NR cheese deck?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

what the hell

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

You're also depriving yourself of the best part of the game: mashing your lovely retarded deck against someone elses lovely retarded deck.

The early games where you're experimenting with cards and trying to find combos using whatever you have on hand and playing against other people with similarly bizarre decks is more fun than playing against the same netdecks over and over again once you get to higher levels imo

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Rework NR to be an attrition deck. Maybe artillery could knock opponents cards from their deck to their graveyard instead of doing direct damage. Running out of cards in later rounds should be a possibly if your deck is too small.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Is there a trick to stopping the Northern Realms Reaver clowncar?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Not having Geralt Ingi is such a handicap. I feel like about half the matches I've lost I could have won if I'd had that card.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Darke GBF posted:

Ugh. Had a game against spell nilfgaard where all three of his Impera Protectors were gold. Then Villentretenmirth. Then Tibor. I was the computer in a game of solitaire, and it sucked.

Yeah that deck got showed off somewhere and now its the new hotness.

loving sucks to play against.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

Supposing gold + silver was 10 total with 4 gold max, would there ever be situations where you would take 7 or 8 silvers at the cost of golds, or are golds just too strong?

What if it was 6 silver/4 gold like now, but you could sub 1 gold for 2 silvers and make it 8/3?

This might actually be a good way to give newer players a fighting chance since you'll usually have a bunch of silvers before you get very many gold cards. Like I have a million silver cards but only 3-4 good gold cards spread amongst the different decks. If I could take more silvers I would.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Dropbear posted:

I've had a lot of fun with my Unseen Elder devour deck; can't wait for the patch since a lot of the cards in it will get boosted. Any suggestions to this? Golds are obviously unoptimal, but I don't have the Kayrans etc. yet.

It's missing 1 silver. Not sure what to put in (the neutral lock-dwarf?), or what to take out (one ghoul probably).

Not sure if 2 or 3 nekker warriors is better; probably just 2? If I get only one in my starting hand I can dupe it with the Operator. Some games I've played 4+ warriors (operator, drawing one from the opponent with Caretaker) but then it gets tricky to eat them all properly. Might be worth it to just replace Operator, since it can't really help much with the other cards.

I also wonder if keeping 2 nekkers in your opening hand is generally worth it - if I keep only one and it gets locked & I don't draw another the main punch of the deck is gone, but if it doesn't get locked the backup one is pretty much just taking space until round 3.

Ghouls are a bit ehh. They boost the nekkers, but usually the random devour lands them around 6-9 power. What would be a good replacement for these? Wild hunt riders? Then again, the devour by itself might be worth them, hard to say.

The top row gets almost everything, so the archgriffons are handy in clearing weathers from it, and I can just ignore the other rows. Igni plays hell on it, though.

EDIT: As RatHat said, this melts Skellige. Eating their graveyard with ghouls & katakans & the caretaker has given me all of the Skellige games for a while now. :unsmigghh:

I pretty much exclusively play consume decks so here's my 2 cents.

This is my deck:

I have terrible luck opening kegs so its almost unchanged since the beginning of open beta. For what its worth I had around a 80% win rate at lower levels, more like 60% now that I'm up near level 20.

Thoughts:
-Ghouls only boost up to around 7-9 strength on average. Every once in a while they'll eat something important from your opponents graveyard but you can't really count on that. I think you're better off with arachas behemoths instead
-Cilantro harpies are your strongest bronze card, take 3
-Water Hag owns, you should craft it. She can be used to clear weather, lacerate, or cast torrential rain. Also she has a bug where she counts as consuming something so it activates nekkers/behemoths/ect
-Vran are situational, if you don't have other cards that synergize with them they're useless. I usually roll with 2 and rarely get a chance to play both.
-Giant toad is good as it essentially lets you mulligan a card and consume something

The tricky thing with consume decks is how many different cards they need in order to function properly. Ideally a starting hand looks something like this:
1x nekker
1x nekker warrior
1x vran
1-2x cilantro harpies
1x ekkimara
1-2x arachas behemoth
1x water hag
1x kayran

Strategy:
First round I usually don't bust out the consume assembly lines unless I can tell my opponent is going to go hard or they play a deck that needs to win the first round. Mainly I'm working on two things: duplicating nekkers, and setting up a buff ekkimara to carry over next round. You want to duplicate nekkers first thing as any you duplicate later will be created at base strength (2). Against weather decks I try and get them to waste as many of their weather cards as possible in the first round so they can't play them against my harpies in rounds 2 and 3. Always play your nekkers at the far right of your melee line so that harpies that spawn from eggs can deathwish-pull additional nekkers for you.

Normally I roll into round two with at least one 5-6 point nekker, a 8-12 point ekkimara, and a couple harpies. If you lost round one your opponent will likely concede round two pretty quickly, in which case you set up again to carry poo poo over into the final round. If you won round one then you set up your consume assembly lines and set them to work.

If you go to round three you want at least two nekkers out, if not three. These I'll often eat with my leader card, and if I have any more in my deck those will get pulled as well. Kayran gets played in round three obviously. I usually end up eating my archgriffen that I kept in my hand but ended up not needing. That will net you 25 points for the kayran, plus 5 more if he summons roach. Lastly I play the grave hag, you should have 15-20 units in your graveyard, which will put her at approx 17-22 strength. If all this goes correctly you should have at least 70 points on the board, most of it in gold cards.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Facing 3-5 bears every match sure is awesome.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Boy, Friday night Gwent players are a salty bunch. No GG from the other player five games in a row.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Link the amount of Gold/Silver cards you can put in your deck to how many bronze cards there are.

So if you have a 20 bronze cards you get 2 golds/3 silvers
30 = 3 golds/4 silvers
35 = 4 gold/5 silvers
or whatever

So the bigger the deck the more powerful bullshit you can stick in there, but the more unwieldy it gets.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Or just make them banish when sent to the graveyard so when they die they stay dead.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Boy people are forfeit happy all the sudden. I don't think I've finished a game that I was winning all night, instead people just quit as soon as they get discouraged. Even won a couple I would have lost because all I had left in my hand were like shackles and poo poo.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I know Reavers aren't a tier 1 deck, but I love playing them. I just had a guy bring 102 points worth of resilient cards into round 3 after I passed early.

First thing he did was Letho them to put him up 109 to nothing.

Using 4 reavers I still came back and won.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

95% of the time when someone plays Ciri they intend to pass next time it's their turn.

Or maybe he forgot what round it is, I do that all the time because I'm usually watching TV or shitposting on the internet at the same time.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Captainicus posted:

Leader is henselt, the gameplan is play sergeant t1 and henselt him to summon all the blue stripes and ves, then play siege engines between two sergeants for double boost or ballistas for triple shots, then play the siege platforms on them and do it again. I had considered regular ballistas instead of the siege towers, but since the gold I own are all damage dealers, I sometimes got into the situation of the enemy having nothing left to shoot.

Wondering if anyone has ideas for improvement / next crafts? Aard geralt is only there because my other 2 golds are triss and regular geralt, and he can sometimes help set up ballistas getting multi hits. I've got witchers, johnny, cyprian wiley, sile, cow, decoy, and dimeritium bomb for alternate silvers.

The obvious guess for a gold or silver to craft next would be something general like geralt: igni, but I don't think john natalis or stennis would be hugely useful since I only have 5 or 6 machines. I'm not too high rank right now, so I'm not seeing a lot of weather monsters, surprisingly. Mostly discard skelligers, dwarfs, and mulligan elves.

Using henselt to draw all your Sarges is a strong opening move but don't put them all on one row for the sake of drawing Ves, you'll just get Ingi'd and lose the lot of em. Plus the blue stripe trio ability sucks anyway. My suggestion: you're most of the way to a decent reaver deck, - drop the siege stuff, and put reaver's and Temerian infantry instead, bring Operator to duplicate one of the reavers.

The great thing about NR with Henselt is you can thin so well in round one that you can basically guarantee what you'll draw for rounds two and three, and very few decks beat a reaver bomb for round three (you can even keep ves and use it for that if you like)

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Captainicus posted:

Ves protects them from igni if they don't damage her first (she's 7, they go up to 6), and so far no one has done that yet (surprisingly!).

GIgni is rampant at higher levels and all they have to do is damage her at all and then they can pull 36 points of yours off the board, which is probably a game losing moment for you. It's putting all your eggs is one basket for the sake of a 7 point silver.

Also, aside from that card it also makes you supremely vulnerable to lacerate and other cards that affect the whole row.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Subvisual Haze posted:

Nah in theory it's pretty sound. You can hurl out 42 points in 2 turns and blind pass. Few deck can get close to matching that and Nobody likes playing 2 cards after their opponent passes in r1. It's a 100% tempo play and I think it'll see decent use.

Theoretically an epidemic could clean the row, but you'd need to be packing an epidemic yourself and not have played a unit with a value under 5.

If you spread them out you still get 38 points, don't add a useless 3 point card to your deck, and protect yourself from GIngi. Also you can take a better silver than Ves.

Blind passing with that deck might work if it had cards powerful enough to win rounds two and three if your opponent kept playing to win round 1, but the deck is essentially a one shot and done. I can't see the handful of machine cards it has as powerful enough to come back if they don't win round 1.

Dwarves and Consume decks I should think would just keep rolling in round 1 and set up an unstoppable round 2 that he couldn't stop even if he had card advantage.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Subvisual Haze posted:

No sorry I was referring just to the K.Sgt -> Henselt with Ves = 45 points in 2 moves opener in general, not the rest of the deck. That's insane tempo and I think its going to start showing up a lot more.

Yeah I use as the opening in my reaver deck and it owns, but then I follow it up in later rounds with temerian infantry , witchers, and reavers for just an avalanche of points. 60% of the time, it works everytime

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Ghouls, but hardly anyone runs them anymore.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

They call him Dagon because you'll play against him all dag gone day.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Yeah something is up with that math because if you average them all out it comes out to a 52% win rate. I'm not a rocket scientist but that doesn't seem correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Some fuckhead must have streamed a Dagon deck using Wild Hunt Hounds because I've just faced the same deck 5 times in a row.