Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«400 »
Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah I didn't realize how little room for stuff is on the Trebuchet. I have two parts of the Jager now at least.

Even the Blackjack is better than the Trebuchet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

quote:

I made a laser drill stalker with the LL rebalance. It's really good. Needs DHS. Just hang back and drill fuckers in the torso.

I'm enjoying the rebalance so far, knockdowns are way harder and lights are surviving a lot more now.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Even the Blackjack is better than the Trebuchet.

Nooo

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007
custom title

I've been replaying the campaign with the new patch and it seems noticeably harder (I'm not playing with any of the custom difficulty settings, yet). The changes were subtle, but effective. The fact that lights are harder to hit, mechs fall down less often, and SRMs are no longer called shot drills make mechs last much longer. The nerf to called shot SRMs and knockdowns also makes it much harder to dissect mechs, and therefore harder to salvage. Additionally, the longer mech lifespan and the greater contact variability means that the missions feel much harder as well. I'm currently in the waiting period before grave robbing so we'll see what things are like after I get the lostech highlander.

The balance changes (especially to the LLs) are also quite welcome and really open up some new options. This combined with the aforementioned SRM/stability nerfs have completely changed how I configure mechs. I'm also enjoying the new events showing up. Overall, a great patch that breaths some more life into the game.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Does the game expect you to grind for mediums/heavies before starting the campaign? I'm trying to take on 1.5 - 2 skull missions and am getting wrecked.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Technowolf posted:

Does the game expect you to grind for mediums/heavies before starting the campaign? I'm trying to take on 1.5 - 2 skull missions and am getting wrecked.

It isn't necessary but it does help to get some contracts in between the story missions, the Arano chick flat out tells you to do it.

The new patch really did a lot to spice up the game for me. It used to be I'd just pick mechs based off of how many SRM 6s and med lasers it could carry, now I'm actually loading up LL's and some PPCs, it's great!

Now they just need to add more granularity to the mech drops. When you go up the next "level" of difficulty you end up seeing the heaviest mechs of a bracket fairly often, and you just end up skipping over all the lower tonnage ones. I never really got to mess around with grasshoppers/thunderbolts because by the time I saw my first one I already had an Orion/Blacknight/Banshee and a stalker. Same thing with the Zeus/Awesome/Battlemaster, by the time I got them I already had 2 highlanders, a Stalker and an Atlas. I love the Zeus/Awesome/Battlemaster but they came out so late I've only used each one once, just for fun.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

Fun Shoe

Who on earth requested the «no rare salvage» difficulty setting? It just seems so arbitrary and pointless.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014

I've never liked lasers. Not enough kick. I've never liked missiles. Too impersonal. Give me the rumble and the thunder. Give me the guns, guns, guns.

JacksLibido posted:

It isn't necessary but it does help to get some contracts in between the story missions, the Arano chick flat out tells you to do it.

The new patch really did a lot to spice up the game for me. It used to be I'd just pick mechs based off of how many SRM 6s and med lasers it could carry, now I'm actually loading up LL's and some PPCs, it's great!

Now they just need to add more granularity to the mech drops. When you go up the next "level" of difficulty you end up seeing the heaviest mechs of a bracket fairly often, and you just end up skipping over all the lower tonnage ones. I never really got to mess around with grasshoppers/thunderbolts because by the time I saw my first one I already had an Orion/Blacknight/Banshee and a stalker. Same thing with the Zeus/Awesome/Battlemaster, by the time I got them I already had 2 highlanders, a Stalker and an Atlas. I love the Zeus/Awesome/Battlemaster but they came out so late I've only used each one once, just for fun.

RNG is a big deal. In my campaign I've seen one Orion and one Black Knight, but I've already salvaged three Thunderbolts. You got lucky.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009

Hair Elf

Technowolf posted:

before starting the campaign at all? Not remotely, no. It's actually extremely hard to reliably grind contracts to find heavies without advancing campaign missions. You can easily go at least through liberation: Panzyr with just mediums.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

that avatar was in poor taste, and you'll probably change this one anyway, but let's contribute a bit to lowtax's health insurance at least have something better for a small while

- scrooge mcduck

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Who on earth requested the «no rare salvage» difficulty setting? It just seems so arbitrary and pointless.

eeehhhh, not my thing but I can see it. By about half way through the game the rare salvage just kind of falls all over you to the point that everything you have is rocking at least ++ if not +++ in their primary weapons.

Really it should be a slider. We need something between combing half a dozen worlds to find a decent ++ AC20 and having every demolisher you pop dump two on the ground.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ditty bout my clitty posted:

I'll probably use it when I get round to doing a replay of the campaign, the game gets a hell of a lot easier when you can replace all of your weapons with upgraded versions you got as free loot.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014

I've never liked lasers. Not enough kick. I've never liked missiles. Too impersonal. Give me the rumble and the thunder. Give me the guns, guns, guns.

I'm really happy with the "salvaged 'Mechs start with nothing" option. Selling spare weapons by the dozen was basically how I fueled my first campaign, and getting a half dozen guns free per 'Mech is not exactly a small contributor to that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

that avatar was in poor taste, and you'll probably change this one anyway, but let's contribute a bit to lowtax's health insurance at least have something better for a small while

- scrooge mcduck

The one big change I'm making my next playthrough is hitting the toggle so salvaged mechs come stripped. I had the most fun in the vanilla game trying to cobble something workable together with that freebie cent that came stripped from a story mission and whatever garbage I happened to have lying around.

A cent with an LRM 10, a SRM 2 an AC 5, and whatever medium lasers I have lying around? Sure, why not, it's better than taking a panther.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Ugggh I fought an Orion and two Thunderbolts on a pirate battle but the max salvage possible was 2/8 so I went 1/4 to pay rent.

quote:

before starting the campaign at all? Not remotely, no. It's actually extremely hard to reliably grind contracts to find heavies without advancing campaign missions. You can easily go at least through liberation: Panzyr with just mediums.

I have Panzyr ready to go and I'm sort of dreading it because if you get unlucky with the turrets' shots you can get pretty overwhelmed and Ironman means campaign restart if I gently caress it up. I have a Jenner ready to rush the generator though.

quote:

The one big change I'm making my next playthrough is hitting the toggle so salvaged mechs come stripped. I had the most fun in the vanilla game trying to cobble something workable together with that freebie cent that came stripped from a story mission and whatever garbage I happened to have lying around.

I have hard enemy configurations, stripped mechs, Ironman, and permanent mech death on and it's a lot more fun and a lot more harrowing.

«400 »