Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

I said come in! posted:

Battletech at launch will be just the main menu with an exit button, with the way these cuts to content are being reported. :P

As long and it's not just "a line in the sand." :pgi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

isildur posted:

Salvage is also Not Easy: I've been trying to get this Wolverine WVR-6K built for days, but every place I look has only one part, and it's for a -6R. Because some rear end in a top hat (me) decided that a Kurita variant should be really uncommon in the rimward Periphery. So I'm stuck just taking missions and hoping I spot another one on the field so I can salvage it for the final bit I need.

This went from X-COM with giant robots to Gundam Breaker with giant ro--er, walking tanks. :psyduck: Get out of my head.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

As long and it's not just "a line in the sand." :pgi:

True! It would still be a step up from what PGI has going even today for Mechwarrior Online.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

isildur posted:

you are correct! Including Mitch (and Mike) being pretty serious and realistic about what we can and can't do.

Also loans were cut because they were a self-contained system with enough engineering time attached to be a possible problem, and we're pretty much down to the bone for cuts at this point. so an entirely self-contained piece of code and ui? that was an easy call. the economy is still really loving complex -- complex enough that it's basically all I've been doing for the past two weeks, and probably will be all I'll be doing between now and launch.

Salvage is also Not Easy: I've been trying to get this Wolverine WVR-6K built for days, but every place I look has only one part, and it's for a -6R. Because some rear end in a top hat (me) decided that a Kurita variant should be really uncommon in the rimward Periphery. So I'm stuck just taking missions and hoping I spot another one on the field so I can salvage it for the final bit I need.

I'm glad to see where the variant comes from originally affects the rarity out in the rimward side of the periphery. I noticed recently some of the planets (Illiushin, New Vandenberg, etc) have operating factories that produce some of the 'Mechs in the game. Won't help for a K variant anything, but I wonder if it would be easier to find the parts for those locally built designs on those planets. I know the tagging system seems to be able to do everything, but is it possible to tag specific equipment availability to planetary stores like that?

I've been having a lot of fun with the WVR's in the beta, hope the 6M gets in too even if it is really close to the GRF-1S. I modded one in and it just works better as a 15m bracket light hunter as the LRM5 on the GRF-1S go unused as everyone closes in to range quickly. Also, it's just an LRM5.

EDIT: Oh, and the WLV-6M is probably more common here than the Steiner Griffin too!

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I said come in! posted:

Battletech at launch will be just the main menu with an exit button, with the way these cuts to content are being reported. :P

Actually it shows the cutscene of you getting the Argo and some 'Mechs, then a prompt asks if you want to sell it all and retire. The 'No' option is blacked out, but gives a 'DLC Coming Soon' text box if you hover the mouse over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CB3VgTF8Ds

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I just want to say, I appreciate logic like this. Even if I may hate it once I'm playing the game. :v:

[edit] Don't forget Steiner variants are probably similarly uncommon! :D

Actually no. Unlike the production starved Draconis combine, The Lyran Alliance has always had a surplus of production. In fact, if you see a new battlemech in the southern periphery, if it's not a Free Worlds model, it's most likely a Steiner.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

Actually no. Unlike the production starved Draconis combine, The Lyran Alliance has always had a surplus of production. In fact, if you see a new battlemech in the southern periphery, if it's not a Free Worlds model, it's most likely a Steiner.

Interesting, I'd have thought the Marik model Wolverine would be more common than a GRF-1S as the FWL are on the map and they are also known for being a production house. But then I might just be thinking post 3050 timeline.
EDIT: Nevermind, thought it was a reply to my post with a similar sentence at the end.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 17, 2018

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

A.o.D. posted:

Key word here being "new". Old rustbuckets are kicking around wherever random chance says they do.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

A.o.D. posted:

We're still back in Lyran Commonwealth days. Ain't no Lyran Alliance yet.

Gotta figure the -L models are probably the most common with the proximity of the Confederation to the play area, followed by -Ms and -Ds, then -Ss, with distance mitigated by how many for-sale models the Lyrans put out, then -Ks least common.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 17, 2018

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

isildur posted:

If I recall your previous post right, a wrecked meck is worth 1 salvage bit, and you need 3 to fabricate a fresh one?

I suppose my question is: for mostly pristine mechs, how is salvage handled? You know, mechs killed by headshots, pilot death.

If you kick off legs, but everything else is intact, is that two salvage bits, or just one still?

Can you sometimes snag the whole mech, or does it force you to go through the 3 piece method?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

TheParadigm posted:

If I recall your previous post right, a wrecked meck is worth 1 salvage bit, and you need 3 to fabricate a fresh one?

I suppose my question is: for mostly pristine mechs, how is salvage handled? You know, mechs killed by headshots, pilot death.

If you kick off legs, but everything else is intact, is that two salvage bits, or just one still?

Can you sometimes snag the whole mech, or does it force you to go through the 3 piece method?

I think I am going to adopt this salvage method for the Battletech/mekhq LP I am doing. Just to see how it works out. Any CT wrecked mech gets turned into a piece of salvage for that chassis, three of them gives us a naked mech of that chassis with 1 structure in each location and no armour, so it takes awhile to repair.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

TheParadigm posted:

I believe it was mentioned that a salvage mech is worth 1-3 components depending on how trashed it was when it was "Destroyed". So a mech that takes no damage except an AC/20 round to the cockpit might be worth 2 or even 3 components in salvage.

Speaking of Salvage, I hope we get more info on that soon. As the salvage system laid out in the Q&A is something I have severe issues/doubt with, but I'm hoping I misunderstood the nature of the pick system.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
As I've understood it, everything that's blown off but intact from enemies + mechs/mech parts gets put into a big bucket. Before the mission you negotiated for first pick and salvage total (for example, 2/8 salvage would get you two first picks, and 8 pieces total). So in that case you'd get to pick two pieces out of that big bucket of parts first, then your contract giver picks whatever they want except for 6(8?) pieces and you get those - but they're probably random (I doubt the contract giver is going to be programmed to specifically screw you over by picking the best parts).

And salvage rights are directly opposed to cbill payout in the negotiation phase, so if you want a lot of and first pick of salvage you get paid less, or vice versa. And you can choose to be paid less and salvage less for reputation boosts.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, thats the way I read it. You pick a few things then X number of other things are randomly given to you, and I hate that. Being given a small laser or machinegun counts as an item the same as being given a Top-End PPC or mech chassis component. So my salvage earnings could be either big (from the high end PPC) or bupkiss (the machinegun) and I have almost no control over it other than negotiating more picks beforehand. The randomness annoys me, but I can deal with it, but I greatly dislike the idea that an item is an item regardless of value.

I'd much rather it be a more traditional system where it totals up the value of all the salvage in C-bills and you are awarded a percentage (negotiated during the contract offer) of this value that you then basically "shop" for salvage by picking what you want (or what your employer is willing to give) until you run out of salvage pay and/or cash out the remaining value (or are just outright paid in cash for all the salvage, which the employer keeps). On its face it doesn't seem that complicated (and I know they've been simplifying/cutting stuff a lot) and systems like this have been the way of TT Battletech merc campaigns for years (Phros is using variants of it in his LP for example).

I guess this is one of the few areas where I'll go hardcore BTech Grog about. If an employer tried to offer me a salvage clause like that in a tabletop campaign, I'd throw the papers in his face. Sure the salvage you give me will be totally "random" and unbiased. :v:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 18, 2018

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
That would be fair to the mercenaries and lol that's not how Battletech works. Your employers are going to try to screw you as hard as possible while being still technically in the rules. You'll take the salvage they give you and be happy with it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, which is why there usually was a stipulation in the salvage clauses where the employer gets first dibs on X% value of the salvage (assuming they were letting you "buy" some of it instead of just paying out cash), the % of the salvage you get is crap, and the salvage total value is usually lowballed by the employer.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Being given a small laser or machinegun counts as an item the same as being given a Top-End PPC or mech chassis component. So my salvage earnings could be either big (from the high end PPC) or bupkiss (the machinegun) and I have almost no control over it other than negotiating more picks beforehand. The randomness annoys me, but I can deal with it, but I greatly dislike the idea that an item is an item regardless of value.

Do we have any confirmation that this is how it's going to be? As in that you could randomly get either a MG or a PPC? Because that seems dumb as gently caress and if anything these devs have a track record of not making games with poorly thought out mechanics like that.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
What we know so far is that you negotiate salvage based on priority picks plus additional bits the employer elects to give you. Such as 1/4, which means you get first pick of a single item and 4 additional salvage items of your employers pick. They've referred to this as random in explanations. How random, no idea. Though I'd bet good money your reputation with an employer weights what you're given.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Decided tonight I'd name my mercenary company the Fortune Hunters after the signature Pirate Gang of another FASA great, Crimson Skies. Then I got bored and decided to make a Battletech version of their logo:

Not sure I'm completely satisfied with the Lovers card art, but it was a decent way to kill an evening. And AMechwarrior pointed out that being able to use custom logos is probably going to be a thing in the Single Player based on Beta, so that is cool!

This is really, really awesome.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Thanks. I want to do something else for the Lovers card, but I have no idea what I could that matches the simplistic, minimal detail/colors style of the others.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I'm tempted to steal that Atlas skull and crossed wrenches as an avatar, I've been using something a little like it on Discord for ages.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Drake_263 posted:

I'm tempted to steal that Atlas skull and crossed wrenches as an avatar, I've been using something a little like it on Discord for ages.

feel free, I got it from elsewhere myself, though I modified the atlas skull to remove some of the panel lines since it ended up looking a bit cluttered.

[edit]

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If you want to make it trolly, make the Lovers card the logo for the Federated Commonwealth. :smugdog:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Zaodai posted:

If you want to make it trolly, make the Lovers card the logo for the Federated Commonwealth. :smugdog:

But then he wouldn't be period accurate! :argh:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

vorebane posted:

But then he wouldn't be period accurate! :argh:

Which is even more trolly.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Based on the original lovers being a random woman, make the Lovers card Natasha Kerensky.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

DatonKallandor posted:

Based on the original lovers being a random woman, make the Lovers card Natasha Kerensky.

I had thought of that, but I lack the skill to make such a thing. All the existing art of her doesn't fit the simplistic style.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Honestly I think it looks pretty good as is.

Once you get into human shapes on a design like that you run into issues that pull you in opposite directions:

1) human shapes tend to be complex and with small details (eyes, noses, cheek bones) that you need to include if it's not going to just look like a cartoon smiley face
2) logos tend to benefit from simple shapes that don't need to be scrutinized.

The sword pinning the heart is a pretty decent depiction of what you're going for without getting into the artistic hell of trying to make a small depiction of a woman or a couple that doesn't look like rear end.

edit: hah, didn't notice the cameron star on the justice scales before. drat, nice touch there.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Zaodai posted:

Which is even more trolly.

:orks:

There is a logo of a hand gripping a heart third from the right and 4 down, that I guess is a merc outfit's logo, that might work for a battletech reference. Assuming the outfit is period accurate!!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Release month might have slipped. Shadowhawk pre-order skin has appeared on Steam and showed a release date of April 2018 when in your wishlist.

E: it's officially on Steam as April. No specific day.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Is that really a slip? I thought signs were pointing to April for a couple months?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Speculation, but never outright word. I personally was afraid it was about to slip to May since I expect about 2 months from date given to the date itself.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
They've actually already fixed it and it's back to Early 2018. But it did indeed say April for a bit

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Mitch commented on the HBS forums and did not deny the leak being wrong, and given that this information is now spreading I'm pretty sure the fact he did not 'correct' the info means we can be fairly sure it's accurate.

He's probably happily disappointed.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
what he said was this

quote:

#BATTLETECHLEAK

Hmm... looks like the wrong button must've gotten pressed or something while previewing the Steam page. Pre-orders are not live... yet... but they might be some time later this month.

And yes, BATTLETECH Backers at the Recruit Level and above will get the Shadowhawk automatically. So much for surprises... 😉

MLY!

and that there's no KS update coming today/soon/whatever so it's still officially 2018 but obvious what month they want that to be. :v:

also from isildur:

quote:

you know what's great?

buying an awesome weapon, dumping what's basically two months of salaries and operating costs into it, equipping it for those sweet, sweet bonuses, going into battle

and getting that location shot right the hell off your 'Mech in the first engagement.

you want to know the tradeoff? the tradeoff is that you *will* lose these things, and you *will* swear about it.

that's battletech!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Psion posted:

that's battletech!

:xcom:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

We really need a Battletech one. PTN's thread alone warrants it.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Crossposting this from Discord, I think the ShadowHawk looks weird. I can't see the SRM2 for one thing.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I played my first game of Battletech tabletop this week and the thrill of forcing a Thor standing atop a mountain into forced retreat with an incredibly lucky rocket salvo in the opening turns was the best goddamn feeling. So now I have like 30 BT miniatures sitting on my desk, oh lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Phrosphor posted:

Crossposting this from Discord, I think the ShadowHawk looks weird. I can't see the SRM2 for one thing.

It might just be a third party commissioned art piece or something.