Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gwaihir posted:

Yeah, people whine about "but hit chance bad on guns!!" When in reality, like, you shouldn't ever get to a place in the game when every shot is a sure thing. If it was, then all the other tools that make the game interesting, gear, positioning, pilot/morale skill usage, weapon choices, would end up feeling totally pointless. And it works! With capped out pilots and Mechs with good gear, it takes a little maneuver and thought to get good hits, but you're typically able to do 75%s against anything heavy on up without precision shot usage. Very fast lights definitely require special care to handle, but, like, that's a good thing.

(Also artillery exists and it doesn't give a FUUUUCK about your evasion)

Artillery is amazingly busted, on both sides. I kill it asap; even with just one artillery mech (Blackjack Omni, with 18 mortar shots a turn), I can kill two-three mechs a turn if they're bunched up and open. Similarly, inferno/acid artillery coming at me is a good tell that the mission's going to go south lol. I cannot wait until I can put a Long Tom on something

The mod's really fun for showing you exactly why HBS went with 3025 and what they didn't put in too. That stuff aside, there are like a dozen different lasers that are almost the same thing, ammo for missiles, mgs, ACs, etc. that basically just exist to turn one into the other, etc. The kitchen sink is fun but it's definitely excessive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
BTA sounds fun and I feel like I've wrung every bit of joy from BEXCE.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Argh. All the non-Clan-opfor missions I did last night? Turns out they were against named pirate orgs - when I'm trying to improve my pirate rep for black market purposes. :(

I thought they were just dinky little governments out in the backbeyond, since I'd never heard of 'em before.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

GD_American posted:

BTA sounds fun and I feel like I've wrung every bit of joy from BEXCE.

BTA is good and the mod team seems p. friendly and responsive on their discord

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

RBA Starblade posted:

Artillery is amazingly busted, on both sides. I kill it asap; even with just one artillery mech (Blackjack Omni, with 18 mortar shots a turn), I can kill two-three mechs a turn if they're bunched up and open. Similarly, inferno/acid artillery coming at me is a good tell that the mission's going to go south lol. I cannot wait until I can put a Long Tom on something

The mod's really fun for showing you exactly why HBS went with 3025 and what they didn't put in too. That stuff aside, there are like a dozen different lasers that are almost the same thing, ammo for missiles, mgs, ACs, etc. that basically just exist to turn one into the other, etc. The kitchen sink is fun but it's definitely excessive

I really get the same-y feel on the weapon options- It's really the only part I don't like all that much at stock. Luckily that's all super simple to change, but yeah. When you don't have weapons that are straight upgrades, it starts blurring together a bit and your eyes kinda glaze over. But a lot of that is also just me, I love going through and tweaking a ton of weapons and ammo for different things and playing around with different Mech builds and whatnot to the nth degree.

Pattonesque posted:

BTA is good and the mod team seems p. friendly and responsive on their discord

Their discord is extremely helpful/pretty good, all things considered.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

PoptartsNinja posted:

It can, it's just that the circumstances that prompt the AI to consider it are vanishingly rare. I think it's some combination of being disarmed, having intact enough leg armor that a DFA attempt won't go into internals, and an enemy close enough to make the attempt (but possibly not close enough for normal melee due to cover or pathfinding). Otherwise they'll just go for a normal melee.

Disarmed or not isn't a strict consideration. But yeah expected damage is a big factor in what the AI chooses to do, and the multiplier on melee is higher than the one on DFAs. So any time they're in punch range, it'll be a punch. (And by the time one of your mechs has above 50% damage in a location, which is the target damage lockout I mentioned earlier, mechs are probably brawling and in punch range.)

The other thing that makes DFAs rare is that in the stock game, mechs with jumpjets are not particularly common.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Gwaihir posted:

Very fast lights definitely require special care to handle, but, like, that's a good thing.

In my experience they also like to melee mechs 2-5x heavier than they are more than really makes sense.

"How the gently caress am I going to deal with this little thing?" :flashfact:

*Flea walks up and toe kicks my Grasshopper*

"OK LOL"

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Ygolonac posted:

Argh. All the non-Clan-opfor missions I did last night? Turns out they were against named pirate orgs - when I'm trying to improve my pirate rep for black market purposes. :(

I thought they were just dinky little governments out in the backbeyond, since I'd never heard of 'em before.

Hrm. According to stuff posted on the RT Reddit, apparently the black market doesn't exist if you're not running the online war stuff, which I'm not interested in.

Guess I'm stomping pirates! :black101:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

sean10mm posted:

In my experience they also like to melee mechs 2-5x heavier than they are more than really makes sense.

"How the gently caress am I going to deal with this little thing?" :flashfact:

*Flea walks up and toe kicks my Grasshopper*

"OK LOL"

Yeah, I had this happen on a medium skull Clan mission lol. I'm rolling a heavy melee grasshopper with maxed out punch mods (as one does,), 6x magshot gauss rifles, and a full battery of 8 lasers. The Clan opposition includes a stock Adder, with 2x cERPPCs. It's got a good position in a forest a ways away from me, but it's also the closest enemy mech and my grasshopper is my furthest forward unit. What does it do on it's turn? Dash in to melee with the grasshopper, then miss a kick, because Clanner in melee doesn't do well, and then because he missed it, made himself unsteady to boot.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
drat, they're serious when they say "read everything" for Roguetech - I just found out that you can piece different variants of the same base mech together to get a complete one. Could have slapped together a few different things so far, that I scrapped because I figured it'd be too much of a pain to scavenge for that exact version.

Gotta whack another Centurion, then.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ygolonac posted:

drat, they're serious when they say "read everything" for Roguetech - I just found out that you can piece different variants of the same base mech together to get a complete one. Could have slapped together a few different things so far, that I scrapped because I figured it'd be too much of a pain to scavenge for that exact version.

Gotta whack another Centurion, then.

All the big mods have some variant of that now because otherwise you'd wait forever to see some stuff, it's nice

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned or discussed to death, but I'm just getting back into this and the pauses are killing me. I've been adjusting the dynamic camera settings to try and speed things up in combat but is there any way to cut out the delays, specifically after attacks? The pauses for a few seconds after each attack are a real drag.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Pikey posted:

I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned or discussed to death, but I'm just getting back into this and the pauses are killing me. I've been adjusting the dynamic camera settings to try and speed things up in combat but is there any way to cut out the delays, specifically after attacks? The pauses for a few seconds after each attack are a real drag.

There is a speed up single player combat option in the menus, and there used to be a more subtle mod called quick cam or something that cut back the pauses.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
Aside from going with the Medium Mechs, or Mercanaries starting mechs in BTA, which of those starting mech options are easier options at the start?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Stock, not sure which I'd say is easier. They all include a lovely bugmech by default (other than the mediums).

If you have a particular faction you like, you can look at their starter lists here on the BTA wiki:
https://www.bta3062.com/index.php/Faction_Starter_Lists

Every start includes a generic medium, generic light, a bug, and then two faction specific mechs.

The Marain Hegemony could be very funny since getting a massive rocket launcher armed mech lends itself well to utterly blasting early game enemies, as you can easily convert them to use SRMs for some staying power. The Brawler lineup is also great, and Melee is a good way to start off as well. Melee especially gets a callout because early game when you have lovely pilots and gear, landing melee attacks to force enemies unsteady and strip their evasion is very powerful.

https://www.bta3062.com/index.php/Faction_Stores is also an extremely useful page for planning who to buddy up with.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gwaihir posted:

Stock, not sure which I'd say is easier. They all include a lovely bugmech by default (other than the mediums).

If you have a particular faction you like, you can look at their starter lists here on the BTA wiki:
https://www.bta3062.com/index.php/Faction_Starter_Lists

Every start includes a generic medium, generic light, a bug, and then two faction specific mechs.

The Marain Hegemony could be very funny since getting a massive rocket launcher armed mech lends itself well to utterly blasting early game enemies, as you can easily convert them to use SRMs for some staying power. The Brawler lineup is also great, and Melee is a good way to start off as well. Melee especially gets a callout because early game when you have lovely pilots and gear, landing melee attacks to force enemies unsteady and strip their evasion is very powerful.

https://www.bta3062.com/index.php/Faction_Stores is also an extremely useful page for planning who to buddy up with.

Do I HAVE to go to the Hanseatic League to buy a vehicle at all? I've still not found a store with one

Also headsup, player-owned Battle Armor is broken in the latest build - it never validates in the mechlab (known issue though so hoping it gets fixed)

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Slap down a fleeing lance of Nova Cats? Don't mind if I do... oh, it's a fully-functional star of NCs. Plus a second one lurking off in the hills.

Had smacked down everything (including two attack choppers) except one really trashed mech, and one that had been pretty hammered at long range and had shut down.

Until it powers up and instantly alphas my leader's center torso - even though I know I killed about half his weapons already. (Destroyed, not crit.) Nay, gently caress that... load save.

Same deal, except I'm now dropped way on on a hill overlooking a Phoenix Hawk, Shamash (MG/small laser track), some fancier Fire Moth variant, a hovertank and a Toad.

What the gently caress is a Toad?

Oh, Elemental - I've heard of those. Looks like a couple sprues of Epic-scale 40 dudes, compared to even the vehicles.

Oh hey, that second star is here too! *Right* here - just the other side of these rocks, in fact, less than 150 yards out! 3x Toads, Stinger, some other mech that got eaten by, well, *everything* right away.

So, I'd read a little bit about Elementals, but obviously not *everything*.

Certainly was surprised at "Harjel heals armor damage" "Harjel heals structure damage" here have a bunch of Inferno at close range.

Lost one Stealth's arm (and the Beagle probe with it), ran the Centurion clean out of LBX10 cluster, LRMs and one Stealth burned all the SRMs, but otherwise finished everything.

Loot loot loot - oooh, Clan Ferro, Endo and DHS kit? Gimme. Got some other stuff, but went to the store right away to see if there was anything else I wanted - ECM/IFF jammer that I'd passed up in salvage, yeah, whatever. LBX10 ammo, YAY! Now I have Slugs too! SLIC suit? Sure.

Any mechs? Yeah, I guess. Royal King Crab.

<insert Vince McMahon meme here>

Dual AC20s with extra ammo?

Artemis IV FCS and ammo?

Royal Heat Sinks?

Price... $14 million <falls over>

I had about $3.8 mil. Even selling *everything*, I couldn't have pulled that off.

:smith:

May as well go womp some more KittyClans. Blackout, go contact the research station, huh, first contact has a bunch of Quicsell turrets...

...and a full star of orbital-dropped assholes. Three Toads of which make landing directly behind my force gently caress YOU RNGESUS RELOAD

Second attempt, no Quicsells (regular turrets) but I do have a missile chopper for support, and some tracks. And this time they actually path away from the spawn, so I have more support.

DEATH PODS RAIN FROM THE SKY! Three mechs, two choppers, not in insta-backstab formation. One chopper instantly deleted by my Endo/Ferro'd Centurion, now firing slugs. Other chopper gets air-to-air'd with LRMs. Mechs take missiles. More missiles WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT?

Oh, that doofy little track? Apparently a dual-mortar carrier.

They killed one calliope turret, before getting smeared. Time to check on the main base!

And there's the next spawn, down at the bottom of the hill - three mechs, a Toadamental, and some track.

Versus an Endo/Ferro/DHS Swayback, Endo/Ferro/SLIC/LBX10 Centurion, two different Stealth variants, the base turrets (including a mortar one, and at least one throwing Inferno missiles), *and* the support vehicles, since they were able to keep pathing!

Yeah, it was a bit of a stomp. Sucks that the two UAC5s on the mechs got destroyed, I would have gotten my Clint up and running with those.

Depending on available missions, I may do one or two more here, dream of Crabbing around doing single-mech drops, and otherwise head towards Solaris - looks like I can do solo duels for good money (and no salvage), even without the license.

I foresee many hours of OCS (obsessive/compulsive stompiness) in my future.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

RBA Starblade posted:

Do I HAVE to go to the Hanseatic League to buy a vehicle at all? I've still not found a store with one

Also headsup, player-owned Battle Armor is broken in the latest build - it never validates in the mechlab (known issue though so hoping it gets fixed)

For now, you can only buy them in shops, yeah.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gwaihir posted:

For now, you can only buy them in shops, yeah.

Guess I'm off to Hansa lol

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

RBA Starblade posted:

I like how many of the planets / systems are named after places / things on Earth, but some of them are pretty impressively obscure. There's a planet called Tiverton way in the south of the map near the Arano Restoration. Tiverton is a town of ~20k people in Devon in England whose claims to fame are 1) a company there made the material for the Perseverance rover's parachute and 2) it's the butt of endless local jokes about how the residents' family trees all look like flagpoles.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
lol Gladiators.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Does anyone know why system shops are suddenly empty in BEXCE? Black Markets work, but the ordinary shops in the last two planets I've been to are empty.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Zephro posted:

Does anyone know why system shops are suddenly empty in BEXCE? Black Markets work, but the ordinary shops in the last two planets I've been to are empty.

Are the planets uninhabited?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zephro posted:

Token Population worlds don't sell things

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Organ Fiend posted:

Breaking news: Ammogeddon hits the Inner Sphere!

Gonna have to arrange a meet at some glass skateboard park with a sketchy dude in a primered-out Cattlemaster, be buying pirate rockets at 3x the price you'd been paying for quality Hesperus-built guided missiles last year.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
Story time

I've upgraded the Argo to the point where I'm dropping with 7 mechs, so when I see a 3 1/2 Lyran contract to take out a Nova Cat lance, I was feeling pretty confident. Max 3 salvage so I wasn't expecting too much. Scouted them out, and it was only a Stalker and a Rifleman II. Kept my 3 heavies back to snipe, ran the 3 mediums in with my scout to take care of business.

Rifleman's dead, and just as the Stalker is about to drop, the reinforcement star shows up. Two Warhawks, an Ebon Jaguar D, a Mad Dog A, and a Kingfisher roll right into the rear of my fire support lance with my medium lance now out of range. I had reconfigured my Night Gyr, my only clan mech to this point, to hit from range after that bastard Wolverine took out its UAC/20, so of course the fuckers core him this time around.

I pulled the other two heavies into a forest and coaxed the star to turn their flank just in time for the other lance to get back in range. Took some damage but didn't lose anyone else, and managed to salvage most of a Warhawk, and enough of the Ebon Jaguar D to put one together, on which I swapped out the ER Large Laser for two more Mediums, an extra ton of ammo for the UACs, and a bit of armor.

I'm waiting on repairs when a message pops up, and Darius is telling me that one of my pilots has been capture by pirates during a supply run, we need to make an emergency drop, Duo Duel mission, and I can only take one mech. I take the Jag.

Immediately on hitting the ground I can see two 100-tonners on sensors. It turn out to be two Mackies, so could be worse, but a fair bit of armor to punch through and could easily go against my single mech with a few lucky shots. And all of that is to say: But, holy poo poo, this mech is a little beast. I was able to repeatedly reserve until they had moved, run out to flank them, alpha strike, then use initiative on next turn to sprint away behind cover to cool with them unable to close the distance.

Farewell, Night Gyr, you served me well but this was a fair trade.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

sean10mm posted:

There is a speed up single player combat option in the menus, and there used to be a more subtle mod called quick cam or something that cut back the pauses.

QuickCam is still current and can be used with or without speed-up combat enabled. During patch 1.5, HBS adapted my original settings in to stock with some buffer for slower readers. Current QuickCam is still quicker than stock and adds some camera tuning to prevent the camera not following the shots in the dynamic fire cam. If you're aren't new to this game, I totally recommend using this. I don't know which mod packs already use the mod or integrate my settings into their JSONs at this point anymore. Also, kudos to the HBS crew for taking constructive criticism on stuff like this and working them in to the base game after seeing a lot of players asking for faster combat.

https://github.com/BattletechModders/QuickCam/releases/tag/v1.5.0.1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSuSgwByn30

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Organ Fiend posted:

RBA Starblade posted:

Token Population worlds don't sell things
:doh:

Thanks. (In my defence, one of them somehow manages to have both a token population and a megacity...)

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Organ Fiend posted:

lol Gladiators.

Just to elaborate on this, I'm coming to the conclusion that in BEX, the Gladiator is the best mech in the game.

BEX has nerfed every quick way to kill mechs aside from back shots. They nerfed head hit rate with called shot and tactics 9 from 18% to 12%, and the MAD no longer has its called shot bonus removed. Stability knockdowns are double nerfed by reducing the stb bonus on +++LRMs from 2 to 1 and by making pilot skill give stability reduction.

In this context, you have the Glad which is basically a mega GHR. Engine DHS, lots of support hard points, clan XL engine,; you can see the sort of configs it can carry. On top of that it has MASC, which makes it ridiculously fast with no downside. It's only downside is that it's hard points are in the arms, so fitting melee mods is hard.

I have a couple of these and they just break off from the main lance, zip around the map, and execute a mech each turn.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Gladiator B's will plow through your barracks. 3 headcapping-capable shots per turn.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
La la la, sure, I'll try escorting this unit and murder all the enemies for it..

<enter Warthog Hag>

:catstare:

VTOL, with bomb racks (cluster and guided), an MI Heavy Laser, Glazed armor for extra resistance to energy weapons, chaff, antimissile flares, Harjel. poo poo-ton of armor, fast enough that it had a ton of evasion all the time, and what did hit healed by the time it came.

Oh, and a Gauss HA30 - Hyper Assault that fires multiple projectiles that cluster. GAU8/G (for Gauss) essentially.

:vince:

Angry Birb just flew around tanking damage and BRRRRRRTing everything, Didn't even get to use the bombs.

Another fun one was taking out a defensive fortification complex.

In the middle of the client's city, good job intelligence services!

Between that, the pirate payroll grab and the Marik lance/support lance, I'm clearing out cities pretty massively. Urban areas are evacuating themselves, they hear I come in-system.

51 days to Solaris...

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Slowly moving towards Solaris - doing jobs along the way, because poo poo costs money yo. Like stuffing a Clan XL into one of my Stealths, which already has a regular XL. Swapped a few other parts, maxed the armor, final cost (when I already owned all the stuff, didn't buy anything) was...

$850k +

:aaaaa: indeed. Sorry, Stealth, ain't happening just yet.

"Why do you have Clan XLs?" Because RNGesus occasionally likes me. Case in point: Warthog mission versus two full stars of Goliath Scorpion. Kept my mechs back on the side of the river gorge, let Angry Birb maul the mudfoots. Did get to use the bombs this time, which was hilarious - cluster bombs AOE was ridiculous, the drat VTOL was taking splash damage. :v: Made sure to use the excess maneuverability to make rear attacks, which mutilated an original-edition (or Clan version, maybe) Hussar (which deserved it for being a horrible mutant derpmech), and all in all did most of the heavy lifting until the last unit, Toad Salamander hiding in the trees.

Took max loot this time. Grabbed more Clan Ferro and Endo, double heatsinks, other stuff. Assigned salvage? "Here, have all three Hussar parts. And a Clan XL. And a bunch of other poo poo I would have taken if I could. Oh, and a few commons and trash items."

Later, base wipe against Clan, hung way the gently caress back and kited the defense force into getting focus-mauled one at a time, before creeping up and sniping all the turrets. More max salvage (after drop costs and such, I made $12k! :toot:) - 2x Clan UAC5s, multiple ammo boxes (per pick) of ammo for same, hey may as well take the Clan XL and SRM6 Streak too.

RNGesus: "Hey, have all three parts to that Royal Stinger you scared the pilot out of. And a bunch of the original equipment for it, too."

RNGesus also takes away - I took a double Gauss ammo box at some point, but have yet to see one single Gauss survive to the loot phase. :smith:

Did pick up a third Centurion part... which was a variant for one that's five tons different, and so can't be kitbashed into a complete mech. :smithicide: And I could *really* use another medium, because Pimpturion, while tough, still only has two weapons (and the minigun for close-in). Still using the Stealths and Hunchback almost exclusively, although I may drop one of the medium lasers on that for jump jets. Because I'm seeing a lot of minefields.

Also, I guess with all the Clan and SLDF poo poo I've been stuffing into those mechs, I guess I'm valuable enough to get "one skull" missions like a "mark target" job, where the enemies (scanned on spawn) were two full stars of Clan for sure, plus the base turrets, and on the second turn I get the announcement that the base was alerted and is puking out *more* enemies. Marker zone 1 was "run a Stealth in and stand for one turn", not much fire came my way. Zone 3? All the way the other side of the base, and I'm pretty sure the turrets could reach it.

Zone 2? Oh, that's right over there across the river. FWUMP. And the minefield. FWUMP. Minefields. And directly in sight of the Jun Horde thundering down the riverbank.

OH NO I ACCIDENTALLY QUIT TO DESKTOP STUPID LOSTECH COMPUTER.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I've never actually tried it before because I worry enough as is about Battletech imploding in to a million pieces on my machine, but your posts are really making me want to give roguetech a spin lol.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Texicus (Black Pants Legion) has videos of playing RT, and he actually knows a lot about Battletech so he can handle the fighting better.

Until the opening of combat is an ArrowIV shot that deletes one of his mechs.

Or he gets excited and runs his mechs through the forest fire and they're shutting down due to heat.

(Lots of cursing, but that's a fukken feature not a bug.)

If you can run BT, you can theoretically run RT. You want more RAM. (I'm at 32 gig now.) You want a huge pagefile. If possible, you want to have everything on an SSD. (This part is good for vanilla, but with 2600+ mechs/vehicles, it does take a while to get stuff done in RT.)(Not to mention all the other mods packed in. And the entire Inner Sphere, Periphery and all the way out to Clanspace. Which can actually be an online interactive war, where player's actions can have consequences, and is frequently updated.)

(Tech Readout 2019: DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz (16 gig originally, upped to 32 last fall or so), Asus Prime Z390-A mobo, i5-9600K, and I forget what the video card is other than it's an EVGA Nvidia thing, mid-to-low-upper range when i bought it. Everything is stock clock.)

I'm just enjoying the hell out of all the new stuff that I've never heard of before and struggling to savescum as little as possible. "Hmm, what this mech? Scan says energy x 2, missiles x4." <mech opens up with 2 plasma cannons and something like 80+ unguided rockets> "Ow, gently caress. Hey, what's a Heavy Rifle?" <mech fires old-school tank gun and removes all left torso armor in one shot> "OW!"

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 9, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao I just had an assassination mission on a polar mountain; at the peak of the mountain was a long tom mobile artillery. In the valley? The world's biggest Mackie

Somehow I only lost an erml on that one but it was tight

e: The mod just gave me a christmas urbie oh my god :kimchi:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 9, 2021

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Argh. Time for RT to kick me in the balls some. Mission is half-skull, go beat on some Clanners, I throw the B-team out there.

Surprise! Enemy forces are two full stars - 2x Kit Fox, 2x Arctic Fox, 2x Shamash, 2 Mist Lynx (I think), 1x dual mortar carrier way the gently caress on the other side of the map.

And one Storm Crow with all kinds of ECM jamming.

I enabled manual deploy before starting tonight, so of course my deploy sticks the Centurion and Hunchie in spots you can't walk out of. Cent has jump jets, but that Swayback doesn't. :ohdear:

Foxes, Lynxes and Shamashii are down, but just too many rounds of missiles to break through the last enemies. Doesn't help that I have only three out there maneuvering, either.

Reload, try again.

Only one star, yay! Kit Fox x2, Toad Salamander, Adder and a different Storm Crow this time. Two rounds of alphas from the Adder and Crow leave them both overheated and shut down, and sucking damage. Not enough, because they both power up the same phase. Adder gets murdered, but too many plasma hits hosed up the Hunchie again, and while the Crow overheated and shut down again (making for 2 out of 3 pilot wounds), Hunchie get killed.

gently caress. Reload. Put my mainforcers out there - noobs can get XP later, *I want that Storm Crow*.

No Storm Crow. Shittier mechs, one chopper, two Toads.

Reload.

OK, *two* choppers, really trash mechs and vehicles.

Quit, go womp on some pirates and Raselhaguers for max cash, which is good because there was trash for loot.

Will try again tomorrow, ands keep reloading.

Because. I. Want. That. STORM. CROW.

And I will save all my Inferno SRMs to boil that pilot alive to get it intact. Ish.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

You guys sound like you're having more fun. I've got my fully roided up lances of Annihilators and Daishis basically merking the same 15 Clanner OmniMechs time after time.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I'm sure my answer is within the 800+ pages, buuuut...

I'm having a hard time finding an "optimal build" for pilots. Do the skill sets match? Should it be a mix? Piloting seems to be the useful all the time skill tree along with Gunnery, but other skills also have attraction. Is there a skill NOT worth getting the abilities?

Who worked the spreadsheet magic for me?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

ASAPI posted:

I'm sure my answer is within the 800+ pages, buuuut...

I'm having a hard time finding an "optimal build" for pilots. Do the skill sets match? Should it be a mix? Piloting seems to be the useful all the time skill tree along with Gunnery, but other skills also have attraction. Is there a skill NOT worth getting the abilities?

Who worked the spreadsheet magic for me?

A bunch of people are going to pile in here and tell you that Bastion is a must-get, but honestly I managed to get through 2.5 playthroughs of this game picking whatever seemed fun/thematically appropriate for my pilots (or whatever the people the pilots were based on wanted me to pick) while only losing a single pilot, and he died to a Devastator putting an AC20 shot right through the cockpit of his pristine Mech. Just go with whatever calls to you for a particular pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Polaron posted:

A bunch of people are going to pile in here and tell you that Bastion is a must-get, but honestly I managed to get through 2.5 playthroughs of this game picking whatever seemed fun/thematically appropriate for my pilots (or whatever the people the pilots were based on wanted me to pick) while only losing a single pilot, and he died to a Devastator putting an AC20 shot right through the cockpit of his pristine Mech. Just go with whatever calls to you for a particular pilot.

That's what I've been doing more or less. It just feels like I should be doing BETTER with my choices. I guess I should stop trying to negate the punishment the game is giving me.