Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Jack B Nimble posted:

Troubleshooting this right now, I think the issue is that I copied your data exactly, and didn't change:

"Name": "my_mod_name",

to my actual mod name. I'll edit this post if that's the issue in case people as dense as me run into this in the future.

Edit: Still not working.

Here's what I've double checked
  • Corrected the mod name in the .JSON file to match my mod directory name.
  • Converted the .txt to an actual .JSON file.
  • Enabled mods in BattleTech and restarted the client.

I'm going to double check I spelled all the sub directories correctly and just generally re-read everything.

Edit2: And now I've recreated it in the local directory for the steam install of BattleTech, still nothing. Hmn.

Edit3: I thought maybe MODS.JSON needed to be in \mods\ instead of \mods\PPC_Rebalance\ , so I moved it there, still nothing.

Edit4: Nope, done with this for now.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Does anyone know of a Nexus mod that reduces PPC heat? I can't seem to make one myself.

If you've got a mod that reduces PPC heat and your done with the whole troubleshooting thing, I'm glad you got that resolved.

If you're up for troubleshooting this, I'll try to help.
-What is the exact directory path of mod.json?
-What is the exact directory path for the modified .json files?
-Can you post the contents of your mod.json here?
-Do you see your mod listed when you start the game and click on the MODS button on the title screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

sean10mm posted:

^^^ no problem, I would just re post the link but I'm phoneposting

60 ton mechs are basically all worse than most of 50-55t range in vanilla except arguably the rifleman (and the stock loadouts on them suck)
Worth noting that this is a general pattern - any mech in the bottom end of its weight classification is going to be kinda bad, and often worse than a mech in the upper end of the previous tier.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Organ Fiend posted:

If you've got a mod that reduces PPC heat and your done with the whole troubleshooting thing, I'm glad you got that resolved.

If you're up for troubleshooting this, I'll try to help.
-What is the exact directory path of mod.json?
-What is the exact directory path for the modified .json files?
-Can you post the contents of your mod.json here?
-Do you see your mod listed when you start the game and click on the MODS button on the title screen?

I'll respond back in detail later, thanks.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Are you using Modtek or the built in mod launcher? Because IMO you should use Modtek.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I mod Bethesda games I'm generally pro mod manager/client, but for a single mod that was just one step above editing config files I was just going to use the in-game UI.

I was GOING to save modding for post-campaign career mode, but the PPC is so broken I considered this less modding and more patching.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i didnt accuse anyone of being dishonest. like half the negative reviews of the game are lengthy diatribes about PGI being scumbags and clowns or w/e followed up with 'the procgen missions are samey and the lancemate ai is terrible'. and i agree with those criticisms, but it seems like a certain amount of people were primed to not like it by not liking PGI. i don't know poo poo about PGI, i registered a MWO account when it came out and played it like twice.

im not a huge fan of HBS cause they ditched necropolis before they added half the features that the steam store page for it still advertises, and if i opened every criticism i had of battletech by bringing that up i wouldnt be surprised if people thought i was just looking for an excuse to make digs at it.

i gather that MW5 was lovely on launch and that PGI managed MWO shittily, but my experience with the game as it is now has been overall good. like with battletech, i would much prefer it if it had a mod that added some of the depth that it needs.

I think alot of the bad blood for MW5 and MWO that some people, like myself, have has alot to do with expectations and experience.

I played alot of MW4, mostly online but I did play the campaign. I was playing MW4 from the pre-release multiplayer stress test, so I got to experience their development process as well. I was also involved in the early stages of the closed beta for MWO, and by involved I mean I was actively posting about balance, bugs, gameplay, etc. on their official forums. My dissapointment in MWO and MW5 is that they, while graphically and mechanically more advanced than MW4, completely don't address any of the known issues of MW4 and actually make some things worse. It also doesn't innovate on MW4: there are no new game mechanics, and the skillset is 100% transferable. My anger/hate for PGI is because I was involved in the pre-release for MW4 and MWO, so I know why MWO/MW5 are in the state that they are, and its 100% on the developers. They had all the feedback they needed to make MWO/MW5 great games and they ignored it completely. They were also total assholes about it.

If you never played MW4 and were never involved in the pre-release of MWO, I can totally understand why you may not be as disappointed in them or carry any sort of special animosity toward PGI. I totally get how you can enjoy MWO and MW5 as ok-but-with-issues mech games.

I posted more about this before, and I could post about MW4 and how to make a good/better mechwarrior game for days.

Organ Fiend posted:

Well the short version is that MWO's gameplay is basically the same as MW4s, and that alot of the basic problems with MWO (light mech inferiority, lack of config diversity, uselessness of missiles outside of boats, sniper trench warfare) were known quantities in MW4. The community knew how to fix this and they were ignored.

MWO also introduced new problems (e.g. lack of player server support which means no player servers or player leagues, which really sucks in the absence of an in game league/ladder environment), added new stupid mechanics (ghost heat, GR shot delay), and had overall worse weapon balance (MW4 had more viable/diverse weapons, and the MWO dev team repeatedly showed that they have no clue how to balance weapons). Once again, community input was completely ignored.

Finally, there were all of the lies and broken promises. The two that come to mind are 3rd person (first they said it wouldn't be in, then they said separate queues) and the delays on community warfare (did they ever implement it?). This, combined with them ignoring the community on other problems really turned me off on PGI, and I presume many others as well.

I can understand why someone without the experience of MW4 or the early development of MWO wouldn't feel the same way.

Organ Fiend posted:

A long post that touches on mech construction and weapon convergence

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I'm to the point in my BEX playthrough were I'm spending the majority of my time in Clan space. I've actually being doing fairly well, in part thanks to one of the most vicious little backstabbers I've ever seen. This thing is absolutely ridiculous and just jumps around ripping even Clan mechs to pieces.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Whens a good idea to start dipping into clan half skulls just to try and get some clan double heat sinks or lasers or whatever? I'm at 4.5 drop rating with some ok mechs and I'm looking for something to help me bridge the gap to 5 skull IS missions.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

You can definitely swing half skull Clan contracts if your lance is 4.5, depending on what exactly you're bringing to the party. One of the clan contracts is a three-way fight, yourself a Clan star and another IS lance. Those might be the easiest ones to farm early on, you have to get the Star on sensors (i.e. they show up as orange blobs) to trigger the second IS lance to drop in. Let them start shooting each other and then basically pincer the Clan Star between you and the other IS lance. Play your cards right and you can wipe out the Clanners and then have to mop up half a lance that's been shot to poo poo.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Q_res posted:

I'm to the point in my BEX playthrough were I'm spending the majority of my time in Clan space. I've actually being doing fairly well, in part thanks to one of the most vicious little backstabbers I've ever seen. This thing is absolutely ridiculous and just jumps around ripping even Clan mechs to pieces.

That’s rad af but I’d paint it like a Macross Gundam… Max/Miriya style.

I haven’t seen a 3K yet in my latest BEX run. :(

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Would that I could, would that I could. In MWO I have PHawks painted up as Roy Fokker, Rick Hunter and Max Sterling.

Also, don't be jealous, but I even have a spare 3K in Storage.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
MW5 seems pretty dang good so far. LAst one I played was MW2 Ghost Bear Legacy or maybe one of the first Merc games temporarily. Honestly didn't like the merc games as much because of all the... money and clan management sim stuff. I vageuly remember MW2GBL just being better about letting you pick any of the cool mechs and try em out.

MW5's non-mech mechanics also seem like something I kind of wish I didn't have anything to do with. I wanna pick a mech, slap on too many lasers, and go stomp around. Not like, strategically pick salvage and wait 35 days for repairs and whatever, but this is still tutorial phase so I assume it opens up eventually.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Q_res posted:

Would that I could, would that I could. In MWO I have PHawks painted up as Roy Fokker, Rick Hunter and Max Sterling.

Also, don't be jealous, but I even have a spare 3K in Storage.

Lmao, exactly the loving same in MWO/MW5.

I am.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Khanstant posted:

MW5 seems pretty dang good so far. LAst one I played was MW2 Ghost Bear Legacy or maybe one of the first Merc games temporarily. Honestly didn't like the merc games as much because of all the... money and clan management sim stuff. I vageuly remember MW2GBL just being better about letting you pick any of the cool mechs and try em out.

MW5's non-mech mechanics also seem like something I kind of wish I didn't have anything to do with. I wanna pick a mech, slap on too many lasers, and go stomp around. Not like, strategically pick salvage and wait 35 days for repairs and whatever, but this is still tutorial phase so I assume it opens up eventually.

The repair/refit times are a drat joke, but the game def scratches an itch… too bad about the presidential AI tho. Mf’s are always “LET ME HELP BY WALKING BETWEEN YOU AND THAT DUDE YOU SHOOTIN WHILE YOU SHOOTIN! #JUSTHELPINGOUT”

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Stomping on tanks is more fun than blasting them with weapons, I wasn't paying much attention but I assume this hurts the legs. Still, worth if perhaps if your weapon is on cooldown like it always is. I'm guessing also high jump jets falling straight down will hurt the legs, hadn't noticed it yet but instinctually use a little bit of jet to slow before landing.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The actual shooting part of MW5 is good.

The mechlab, mech hardpoints, pretty much everything involving building a mech is a joke and there really isnt any reason why it should be that way considering the same dev made MWO.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

MW5 is pretty OK, the only thing I don't like is how lax the whole career section is compared to battletech.

There is a lot of cool stuff in the battletech career, traveling around in the argo, sitting on a jump ship for 3 days, jumping between systems takes time and you upgrade your ship over time, events, orbiting interesting planets etc

In MW5 it's just "click next event button, oh I'm there." I don't think even that can get fixed by mods which is a real shame.

TescoBag fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jun 15, 2021

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
There's a lot missing from MW5, and that's not great since they've got a good formula worked out by battletech to base the company management side on.

Having said that, I'm playing through career with my friends and it massively improves the game. We're having a huge amount of fun in the actual combat part and even though stuff is procedurally generated we've had a lot of memorable moments with hard won battles and knife edge victories.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The best assault mech is the Highlander. It is the best assault mech because it has a cool head, jumpjets, and is called the Highlander.

Argue with me about what the best assault mech is.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The best assault mech is the equivalent cost in urbanmechs scattered around the terrain in prepared positions with lots of hard cover to escape behind once pursued.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The best Highlander is one that has a sword, and is piloted by a reputable Egyptian Mechwarrior.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Carcer posted:

The best assault mech is the equivalent cost in urbanmechs scattered around the terrain in prepared positions with lots of hard cover to escape behind once pursued.

Stop making me angry there's not a Battletech game that plays at more of an operational level.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jack B Nimble posted:

Stop making me angry there's not a Battletech game that plays at more of an operational level.

Sounds like someone doesn't know about the pen&paper version!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
"Actual" Battletech with miniatures wasn't part of my gaming store childhood, we were into warhammer. But yeah, Im hungry for anything to replace Close Combat on PC.

Edit: also didn't play the RPG, but I saw it on shelves alongside Rifts and Robotech and Nightblade. I was always only peripherally aware of the larger Battletech IP.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Do you know about Megamek, that 100% properly recreates the tabletop Battletech game? It even has an Against The Bot campaign function where you simulate leading a mercenary company (or anything, really, though its most suitable for the mercenary experience) all the way from single mech to literally entire armies and invasion forces?

Its a bit of a learning curve but extremely fun once you've figured out the games quirks and understand a bit about how the AI works.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Carcer posted:

Do you know about Megamek, that 100% properly recreates the tabletop Battletech game? It even has an Against The Bot campaign function where you simulate leading a mercenary company (or anything, really, though its most suitable for the mercenary experience) all the way from single mech to literally entire armies and invasion forces?

Its a bit of a learning curve but extremely fun once you've figured out the games quirks and understand a bit about how the AI works.

There's also two(?) threads on SA using Megamek, PoptartNinja having an incredibly long-running BT game going.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I...I did not! I just glanced over the home page and this seems really neat. I see there's AI, does it have co-op?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

There's also two(?) threads on SA using Megamek, PoptartNinja having an incredibly long-running BT game going.

Not even Megamek, he does all the rolls by hand, even makes his own unit art. The earliest scenarios in the first thread didn't even have sprites, just alphanumeric codes representing each unit :haw:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bloody Pom posted:

Not even Megamek, he does all the rolls by hand, even makes his own unit art. The earliest scenarios in the first thread didn't even have sprites, just alphanumeric codes representing each unit :haw:

All the combat rolls he posts implies its done by Megamek judging by the formatting but regardless, its an impressive effort that should have earned them the license to the franchise years ago.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

girl dick energy posted:

The best assault mech is the Highlander. It is the best assault mech because it has a cool head, jumpjets, and is called the Highlander.

The best assault mech is the Annihilator for the following indisputable reasons:
-It is called the Annihilator
-It Annihilates things
-It has the most Dakka
-It looks like Godzilla

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

MW5 does at least make you appreciate what little bastards urbanmechs can be. theyre kind of a joke in battletech cause their low height and high gun is never really an advantage because of how cover works in that game

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

I...I did not! I just glanced over the home page and this seems really neat. I see there's AI, does it have co-op?

Yes, its default state is as a versus fight with whatever both players want to bring. For the against the bot campaign battles I don't think there's a reason a 2nd player (or 3rd, 4th etc) couldn't connect to the server (assuming its set up properly) and then be given control over the proper mechs.

The campaign system handles everything from salvage to buying supplies to random events happening on contract. You can also choose how advanced stuff is, from only basic tech and mechs/vehicles to infantry, off map artillery, aerospace fighters, whatever, with the AI able to handle most units.

Be prepared to deal with with stuff that feels broken or stupid, like your mech techs breaking everything they touch or machine gun fire setting off internal ammo. Its the tabletop game, so balance is non existent unless you enforce it.

Organ Fiend posted:

The best assault mech is the Annihilator for the following indisputable reasons:
-It is called the Annihilator
-It Annihilates things
-It has the most Dakka
-It looks like Godzilla

What is the annihilator really but 5 urbanmechs in a trench coat.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Carcer posted:

Be prepared to deal with with stuff that feels broken or stupid, like your mech techs breaking everything they touch or machine gun fire setting off internal ammo. Its the tabletop game, so balance is non existent unless you enforce it.

Do you mean I can configure rules myself or just limit how I play?

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

juggalo baby coffin posted:

MW5 does at least make you appreciate what little bastards urbanmechs can be. theyre kind of a joke in battletech cause their low height and high gun is never really an advantage because of how cover works in that game

One of the big holes in mech balancing that hasn't really been addressed by any mechwarrior game, including MW4, is accounting for mech geometry.

In MW4 there were some mechs, like the Zeus, that had otherwise decent stats, but were simply unusable because they had huge torso panels that were easy to target/focus down. The Madcat and Daishi were worthless initially because their CT hitbox comprised the entire "nose". The hitboxes were later changed (don't remember if this was a mod or a developer patch) so that the side torso hit boxes extended down the sides of the "nose" and they both suddenly became really good mechs. The bushwacker was one of the toughest mediums in the game due to its low profile and its narrow torso hitboxes. The Raven was a total bastard to hit because it was small, skinny, and rocked back and forth when it ran. The Nova Cat was so good, not just because it could carry 6-7 ERLL, but also because all of its guns were at eye level.

I don't remember any mechs in MWO with death geometry, although the scale is (was?) off for a lot of mechs. The GHR is like as tall as an Atlas, IIRC. There's also a big difference between hip-shooters and eye-level shooters too.

A good/new mechwarrior game would need to account for geometry differences in the construction system with counter balancing buffs/penalties. E.g. smaller size = fewer crits, hip-shooter = better melee (or shoulder shooter = no melee offence/defence), etc.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Jack B Nimble posted:

The latter.

I.e. do you use the Warhawk C/Rifleman IIC or not.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

Limit how you play but also sometimes activate gm mode and sort out something stupid, or turn off some options like mechs requiring regular maintenance (which mostly results in them just getting worse) and occasionally tweak the enemy forces you're facing.

I love playing megamek against the bot but you quickly appreciate what modern games do to make the experience not crushingly hard sometimes.

https://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1487/79/1487794688435.pdf

Above, since I can't get a nice in text link to work, is a setup guide I've used before that does a pretty good job of walking you through what options you should choose and what they do. You'll have to learn how the tabletop system works, but once you've done that you can smash giant robots together to your heart's content, and then weep when you see the repair bill.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 15, 2021

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

girl dick energy posted:

I like the Fafnir, it's a pair of Heavy Gauss Rifles with legs, it exists to blow hole in other mechs.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I jumped to a random former comstar planet that happened to have Marauder bits I wanted and snub PPC++'s
I had enough spare mechs sitting in storage that I bought em all and took them for a quick test run and HOLY poo poo!!
Tactics 9 and aim for the CT? One shot light mechs and medium mechs i just sheer off bits of them.

It's so beautiful I could shed a tear. Now to decide if I want to farm the funds for a 2nd Marauder or not but for my 1st "heavy" mech in this campaign.... I'm in love

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I jumped to a random former comstar planet that happened to have Marauder bits I wanted and snub PPC++'s
I had enough spare mechs sitting in storage that I bought em all and took them for a quick test run and HOLY poo poo!!
Tactics 9 and aim for the CT? One shot light mechs and medium mechs i just sheer off bits of them.

It's so beautiful I could shed a tear. Now to decide if I want to farm the funds for a 2nd Marauder or not but for my 1st "heavy" mech in this campaign.... I'm in love

The Marauder is like the one thing to NOT put snubs on, funny enough, because cluster weapons don't work as well with the lance command module called shot bonus.

Spam >30 damage per beam/projectile weapons and aim at the head.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Yeah, shove your Snubs on a Warhammer if you've got one.