Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

LostCosmonaut posted:

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to mod the AI's loadouts? I was thinking of making some changes (dropping some weight from AC/2s, increasing MLs to 1.5 tons) but I'd have to defuck all the AI's bots.

Not hard at all, although for best results, it's easiest to work with a tool like Solaris Skunk Werks in combination with editing the files.
The problem is it's just time consuming to do it all manually. One of the modders on the HBS forum (Lynx/the one that made Tetsuhara heavy industries) has a script that exports a save from from SSW straight to the game's JSON format, but I don't think they've shared it out.

So, given that, I would somewhat limit your edits to just mechs that mount AC2s, or other specific problem children (Dragon, Cicada, etc).

Pop open SSW, open the stock variant you'd want to edit, like a Jagermech as a prime example.

(pictured: classic shitcan jagermech-s)

Say you want to make AC2s 3 tons, down from 6. You know you'd free up 6 tons of space on the Jager thanks to the two AC2s it's got, so add on some armor/sinks/whatever. (Probably armor because the jager doesn't need sinks but it is criminally fuckin under-armored.)

Jager with 12t armor instead of the pitiful 6t that can be beaten by a Jenner:

Note the -6 tons free.

Then you'd open up the mechdef_jagermech_JM6-S.json file in SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\mech

Scrolldown a tad and adjust the armor values to the new ones you used in SSW, keeping in mind that values are multiplied by 5 going from TT to HBS levels.

So the stock Jager has 30 armor on it's arm, which gets bumped up to 95. Change CurrentArmor and AssignedArmor, move on to the next, and you're good to go.

You can also edit the item loadout, and it's relatively straightforward. The ammo in the CT you can change the location to RightTorso, etc. Or add heatsinks by copy and pasting, you'll get the idea pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
The Panzyr mission is infuriating.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Just as a note, if your mech goes down to double legging, the pilot does NOT get incapacitated. On one mission I got a little too frisky with Behemoth and had her DFA while at low leg armor, blowing off both of her mech's legs. Her pilot portrait didn't lose any health pips, and after the mission she was completely fine. Consider it as an alternative to ejecting if your mech is in real bad shape and you don't have anything vital in the legs.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tarezax posted:

Just as a note, if your mech goes down to double legging, the pilot does NOT get incapacitated. On one mission I got a little too frisky with Behemoth and had her DFA while at low leg armor, blowing off both of her mech's legs. Her pilot portrait didn't lose any health pips, and after the mission she was completely fine. Consider it as an alternative to ejecting if your mech is looking low on armor and you don't have anything vital in the legs.

Pardon me, installing a DFA button next to the DFA button.

"Will you at least finally put self damage reduction mods in our legs commander?"

Ahahaha. hah. hah... Good one Behemoth.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

jassi007 posted:

Is that the ammo dump one?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Blow up all the loving ammo

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

jassi007 posted:

here's the trick to panzyr 2

the base's two entrances are one square wide, and apcs don't get guns

(and a sprinting grasshopper will reach the barracks in time to kill the inbound apc, but that's the only bonus objective in the game that feels truly bonus we-never-thought-you'd-actually-do-it)

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 22, 2018

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Anybody else feel that the strategy is kinda shallow in this game?

Bulwark just seemed too good so stand still and shoot were what 75% my guys were doing late game. The one remaining guy was jump jetting around.

No idea how a multiplayer scene can develop and stick around.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

WarpedLichen posted:

Bulwark just seemed too good so stand still and shoot were what 75% my guys were doing late game. The one remaining guy was jump jetting around.

Bulwark is nice because it's what I use to alternate between moving closer and sticking in with multiple bots. Instead of just spamming beyond LoS glass LRM boats while complaining that Bulwark and reduced minimum range make a Highlander you never bring into visual range of the enemy too good. Despite neither of those things benefiting it or a stalker with 20 armor.

If you remove bulwark, it's not the "Stand still and shoot all mission" robots that will suffer the most. Because that's gonna be your hang back snipers who didn't need it, unless you like spending 5 turns standing still waiting for the enemy assault to finally plod into your Mlaser/AC20 brawler range.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 22, 2018

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I was looking at nexus, and there's folders and stuff, I thought that it was just a dll you put in there

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

WarpedLichen posted:

Skirms are a completely different game when you factor custom designs on both sides with a lot more/more efficient firepower and proper armor allocation, smaller number of combatants so you can make much more effective use of Evasion and flanking, and the available mechwarriors only have two abilities instead of being Guts 1 + Pilot 2/Tact2/Gun2 all level 10 beasts. Only a couple of them have Bulwark, also, and unless you're playing with unlimited funds you can't field a full Steiner Scout Lance, either.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

Skirms are a completely different game when you factor custom designs on both sides with a lot more/more efficient firepower and proper armor allocation, smaller number of combatants so you can make much more effective use of Evasion and flanking, and the available mechwarriors only have two abilities instead of being Guts 1 + Pilot 2/Tact2/Gun2 all level 10 beasts. Only a couple of them have Bulwark, also, and unless you're playing with unlimited funds you can't field a full Steiner Scout Lance, either.

Seconding this.

There are ways to deal with Bulwark that admittedly get less effective the higher the Bulwarked unit's tonnage goes, and in singleplayer there's usually nothing stopping you from bringing a slow, boring, wall of guns carried by 100-tonners. But in multiplayer/skirmish unless you're playing with unlimited funds (there's four tiers of force comp: 15m Cbills, 20m Cbills, 25m Cbills, and Unlimited), you're probably going to be working with lights, mediums, and maybe a heavy for seasoning. A stock King Crab takes up around half your allotment of funds in the 25m bracket, leaving you with maybe room for one good medium and two of the lighter lights. And it doesn't have nearly enough ammo to take potshots on a spider or even a jumpy griffin.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Section Z posted:

Bulwark is nice because it's what I use to alternate between moving closer and sticking in with multiple bots. Instead of just spamming beyond LoS glass LRM boats while complaining that Bulwark and reduced minimum range make a Highlander you never bring into visual range of the enemy too good. Despite neither of those things benefiting it or a stalker with 20 armor.

If you remove bulwark, it's not the "Stand still and shoot all mission" robots that will suffer the most. Because that's gonna be your hang back snipers who didn't need it, unless you like spending 5 turns standing still waiting for the enemy assault to finally plod into your Mlaser/AC20 brawler range.

I don't think Bulwark should be removed, just that it promotes standing still when movement feels much more interesting. Most brawling weapons are about sight range, so there's very little need to move once you can hit somebody. I feel like my late game decision making was, can I hit somebody? if yes, stand still, use bulwark. If no, move into range. LRMs just make it easier because the answer is never no to question one. The ratio of firepower/armor means that there's rarely a reason for me to actually move once I'm engaged because moving away means one turn of not firing (very bad when outnumbered) and often the retreating mech is going to get spotted and fired upon anyway.

I think if i were to play around with it, I would make it so:
1. Everybody gets the option to brace if they didn't move
2. Bracing only gave 25% damage reduction to front arc and 50% stagger reduction on all arcs
3. Bulwark gives bracing 50% damage reduction to front arc
4. Guts capstone makes bracing give damage reduction to sidearcs

That way, even if I'm in range, I'm trying to either move to the sides to do full damage rather than standing still and shooting being a no brainer.

But single player has definitely colored my view of how to play the game, and I can believe the multiplayer game feels different.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
oh gently caress, did the game just patch?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Gwaihir posted:

Not hard at all, although for best results, it's easiest to work with a tool like Solaris Skunk Werks in combination with editing the files.
The problem is it's just time consuming to do it all manually. One of the modders on the HBS forum (Lynx/the one that made Tetsuhara heavy industries) has a script that exports a save from from SSW straight to the game's JSON format, but I don't think they've shared it out.

So, given that, I would somewhat limit your edits to just mechs that mount AC2s, or other specific problem children (Dragon, Cicada, etc).

Pop open SSW, open the stock variant you'd want to edit, like a Jagermech as a prime example.

(pictured: classic shitcan jagermech-s)

Say you want to make AC2s 3 tons, down from 6. You know you'd free up 6 tons of space on the Jager thanks to the two AC2s it's got, so add on some armor/sinks/whatever. (Probably armor because the jager doesn't need sinks but it is criminally fuckin under-armored.)

Jager with 12t armor instead of the pitiful 6t that can be beaten by a Jenner:

Note the -6 tons free.

Then you'd open up the mechdef_jagermech_JM6-S.json file in SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\mech

Scrolldown a tad and adjust the armor values to the new ones you used in SSW, keeping in mind that values are multiplied by 5 going from TT to HBS levels.

So the stock Jager has 30 armor on it's arm, which gets bumped up to 95. Change CurrentArmor and AssignedArmor, move on to the next, and you're good to go.

You can also edit the item loadout, and it's relatively straightforward. The ammo in the CT you can change the location to RightTorso, etc. Or add heatsinks by copy and pasting, you'll get the idea pretty quickly.

Where is Skunwerks :files: now, I used to design Solaris 7 Mechs before the site went down, but that was a computer ago.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just got my first assault, gently caress grave robbing. Honestly having just played the tabletop again on Sunday I am missing a lot from it - varied knockdowns, forced withdrawal, setting forests on fire, etc.

Hopefully that gets modded in at some point. I wish we had charging too! It would make sprinting more useful. Gah. Also some sort of mechanic for enemy pilots ejecting, would give them a little more character.

I think the game’s a solid start, it just starts to feel sorta repetitive after a while.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Rejoice, people who could have sworn there was no hazard warning that you were about to be crushed to death only to be told "It's so obvious, they mark it right there".

Hazard markers really do go loving haywire, including in main plot missions :v: I didn't get crushed to death, but that's because I knew the game was loving with me. Up to and including marking the safe spots dangerous while marking the dangerous spot safe.

https://i.imgur.com/Ny4vo7s.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9WZszQ1.jpg

Sumire, please. I just bought you a pool. Why would you do this to me.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 22, 2018

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Reiterpallasch posted:

oh gently caress, did the game just patch?

One bug fix for a campaign progress issue.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/live-battletech-1-0-4-release-notes.1099787/

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

why are all the most downloaded mods ones like "gives player twice as much tonnage and slots and the ai can't use it!"

this game is laughably easy already, even if you gently caress up you can just withdraw

I'm just trying to look for cool mods but half of them are cheat stuff lol

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Better than the mods that give your mechs HH-cup boobs.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

why are all the most downloaded mods ones like "gives player twice as much tonnage and slots and the ai can't use it!"

this game is laughably easy already, even if you gently caress up you can just withdraw

I'm just trying to look for cool mods but half of them are cheat stuff lol
No it's cool they nerfed the AC2 back where it belongs while giving themselves all that DIY clantech, that makes it legit.

But then I'd also probably be willing to erase all ++ weapons from shops if it means turning cockpit reinforcements into a default sales item.

Hey Comstar, how many reinforcements will you drop off the back off a truck if I "Lose" my Gauss rifle by your nearest office?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'm getting my butt handed to me in one particular mission. Two skull difficulty. I have four Medium mechs and I need to assassinate a diplomat. I've just done the prison break.

The thing is, the Diplomat is in a Heavy and there are seven Light mechs (Jenners, Firestarters, Commandos, Spiders) and a Medium (Shadow Hawk) between me and him. The lights and mediums all charge my position while the Heavy rains down obscene amounts of LRMs.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 22, 2018

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

I'm getting my butt handed to me in one particular mission. Two skull difficulty. I have four Medium mechs and I need to assassinate a diplomat. I've just done the prison break.

The thing is, the Diplomat is in a Heavy and there are seven Light mechs (Jenners, Firestarters, Commandos, Spiders) and a Medium (Shadow Hawk) between me and him. The lights and mediums all charge my position while the Heavy rains down obscene amounts of LRMs.

What force are you taking in?

If you're getting hosed by LRM's the only real way around it is Bulwark and cover to minimise the damage you take and Vigilance to clear your unsteady. Focus down the Firestarter and the Shadowhawk first before doing the others and then go after the heavy, if you start to damage him too early he might tryt o escape.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Jack2142 posted:

Where is Skunwerks :files: now, I used to design Solaris 7 Mechs before the site went down, but that was a computer ago.

It's on https://www.solarisskunkwerks.com. :shrug:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

:ohdear:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I've turned my game files into a frankenstein of bullshit changes and stuff. Will verifying integrity on steam reset everything back to a clean slate so I can start again?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I've turned my game files into a frankenstein of bullshit changes and stuff. Will verifying integrity on steam reset everything back to a clean slate so I can start again?

Yes, it should

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Something that I thought that I may see if I can mod in: Mechs accrue Evasion Pips normally but depending on the mech's weight class the mech cannot go below that number of evasion pips on that turn (thus it would need to accrue them that turn to keep them). It would be:
Light: 4
Medium: 3
Heavy: 2
Assault: 1
Therefore if a Light mech gets 5 pips by jumping really far and gets shot at by three mechs, the first one firing would strip an evasion pip like normal, but the next two would be firing at a mech with 4 evasion pips. Now, if the next turn the Light stays stationary, it will generate zero evasion pips and thus every mech that fires at it would fire without penalty.

No idea if it would be any good but I may give it a try.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Something that I thought that I may see if I can mod in: Mechs accrue Evasion Pips normally but depending on the mech's weight class the mech cannot go below that number of evasion pips on that turn (thus it would need to accrue them that turn to keep them). It would be:
Light: 4
Medium: 3
Heavy: 2
Assault: 1
Therefore if a Light mech gets 5 pips by jumping really far and gets shot at by three mechs, the first one firing would strip an evasion pip like normal, but the next two would be firing at a mech with 4 evasion pips. Now, if the next turn the Light stays stationary, it will generate zero evasion pips and thus every mech that fires at it would fire without penalty.

No idea if it would be any good but I may give it a try.

That sounds promising

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

A mod to allow light mechs to sensor lock as a bonus action (not related to pilot skills) would be good.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I'm going to make a copy of my Streaming Assets folder to keep vanilla, and a modded copy, so I can rename them to switch back and forth between vanilla and modded. I'd really like to try MP.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Ze Pollack posted:

here's the trick to panzyr 2

the base's two entrances are one square wide, and apcs don't get guns

(and a sprinting grasshopper will reach the barracks in time to kill the inbound apc, but that's the only bonus objective in the game that feels truly bonus we-never-thought-you'd-actually-do-it)

This is exactly how I did the mission, including the sprinting Grasshopper.

SirFozzie posted:

In most cases, when a Mech goes down. (either via core, 2xLegs dead or pilot injury), the pilot is incapacitated.
If he gets headshot (ie, the head is taken out), he takes lethal damage.

Now, there's a chance depending on your guts rating:

If a friendly pilot is incapacitated the chances of death are as follows: 90% - (Guts * 5%) or if the cockpit is destroyed 140% - (Guts * 5%)

If you can upgrade your MedBay to a full hospital you can get a bonus +5% in your favor for both rolls.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

I'm going to make a copy of my Streaming Assets folder to keep vanilla, and a modded copy, so I can rename them to switch back and forth between vanilla and modded. I'd really like to try MP.

If you get ModTek set up you can keep your changes as a mod off to the side that you can toggle on and off pretty painlessly.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Emong posted:

If you get ModTek set up you can keep your changes as a mod off to the side that you can toggle on and off pretty painlessly.

Even chassis and weapon tweaks?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Even chassis and weapon tweaks?

ModTek handles all the JSON stuff you can possibly do. I think it can even handle adding in new mech variants to existing saves.

Crooow!
Dec 7, 2005

Abortions for some, tiny American flags for others!
When does the patch drop? Because I haven't received a notification or anything.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Crooow! posted:

When does the patch drop? Because I haven't received a notification or anything.

Please tell me its a performance patch.

Crooow!
Dec 7, 2005

Abortions for some, tiny American flags for others!

CommieGIR posted:

Please tell me its a performance patch.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/live-battletech-1-0-4-release-notes.1099787/

It fixes the campaign progress bug issue.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Thanks, that was probably more obvious I haven't used it in like 6 years, I thought it was shut down too, but never really looked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Can someone give me some pointers on how to mod the game so Bulwark applies when you punch and don't move on your turn (it does not presently do that), or perhaps so that Bulwark/brace procs after Juggernaut does? Is this tricky or like an add-one-sentence-somewhere job?