Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Phrosphor posted:

I guess the one mitigating factor here is that large lasers are slightly better, and an arm mounted large laser is a +2 to hit. So early game your poo poo pilots can actually hit things with them.

Ah yeah, that's right. Which also reminds me that your own early game lights can't stack evasion for poo poo.

So while the underlying idea is great (I mean. +1 extra dodge on lights isn't exactly a BAD thing for 'make light gooder'), in practice it's not so clear cut as that both for and against you. But likely favoring the enemy able to thrown an entire light lance at you alongside heavy mechs and tanks. Rather than you betting the farm on your nerfed flamer's firestarter dodging 150+ damage salvos.

All on it''s own the +1 dodge for lights is loving great for lights, at least.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've missed 38 out of 40 AC/5 shots this campaign. This loving Locust won't die. :shepicide:

Also "hard" configurations appear to just double enemy Mechs as far as I can tell. A 1.5 skull had five lights and two heavy vehicles with no reinforcements so far.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Let lights sprint & shoot in the same turn, make it exclusive to them. They're just too squishy to take into later missions unless you're hellbent on stomping that Panzyr defense APC (you know which one) but even a Jumpjet Thunderbolt/Grasshopper can intercept it in time.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

And Tyler Too! posted:

Let lights sprint & shoot in the same turn, make it exclusive to them. They're just too squishy to take into later missions unless you're hellbent on stomping that Panzyr defense APC (you know which one) but even a Jumpjet Thunderbolt/Grasshopper can intercept it in time.

I would maybe boil Ace Pilot into Light Mechs by default and revist the piloting tree.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

I jumped right on it. Didn't realize it was a price mistake!

:same:

Too late Amazon, no takebacks! Woooo!

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

I jumped right on it. Didn't realize it was a price mistake!

yeah according to steam it was "released" April 24th, so... it's too early for a cut that deep. Glad you got in on the deal. I now have this game... time to download it tonight and and see if I can fall in love with Battletech again (after PGI ripped my Battletech/Mechwarrior heart out, jilted founder, etc.)

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Whoever designed the story mission "Extraction" should just retire from the business entirely. It's very poorly designed bullshit from start to finish, and there's just -too much poo poo- firing at you. It's like a sustained check against the RNG, and even after beating it, I don't feel like I've accomplished anything more tactical than getting a drop in a Gatcha game.

It only took me one and a half tries, but without hyperbole, this is still the absolute least fun I have had in a turn base tactical RPG and I been playing this type of game for over twenty five years.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

Whoever designed the story mission "Extraction" should just retire from the business entirely. It's very poorly designed bullshit from start to finish, and there's just -too much poo poo- firing at you. It's like a sustained check against the RNG, and even after beating it, I don't feel like I've accomplished anything more tactical than getting a drop in a Gatcha game.

It only took me one and a half tries, but without hyperbole, this is still the absolute least fun I have had in a turn base RPG and I been playing this type of game for over twenty five years.

i dont even understand how people have issues in story missions when you can just go on missions with 4 highlanders

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Veryslightlymad posted:

It only took me one and a half tries, but without hyperbole, this is still the absolute least fun I have had in a turn base RPG and I been playing this type of game for over twenty five years.

You should go outside. At least there isn't a sewer mission and the only 'stealth' mission ain't that bad.

"Lotta grogs in this battletech thread" says me, as absolute moron.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Viva Miriya posted:

i dont even understand how people have issues in story missions when you can just go on missions with 4 highlanders

Headshots mostly

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Veryslightlymad posted:

It only took me one and a half tries, but without hyperbole, this is still the absolute least fun I have had in a turn base tactical RPG and I been playing this type of game for over twenty five years.

source your quotes

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Viva Miriya posted:

1)You would need to have 3 highlanders
2)Kamea must survive, and while her mech is really, really good.....
3)When something ludicrous like 200 different things are being shot at you/her a round, chances are pretty loving good you're just going to have her/your head blow up anyhow.

Again, it's not like I've been stuck on it, it's just too much bullshit to deal with and bad game design. You have to park your "Must survive" character for four turns under fire from eight distinct mechs, and this is after already completing a full-size mission.

About the only thing that comes close to reminding me of this sense of "I didn't actually make a difference tactically on this map" is the infamous "Protect Rafa" mission in Final Fantasy tactics you'll frequently fail before you even get a turn.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The story afterward also cements Espinosa as one of the most politically idiotic leaders of all time, but that's pretty good writing, because that's very much in line with my concept of Battletech lore.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
There are legitimate concerns about some of the story missions: several of them require you to know where, when, and how enemies are going to spawn in advance which isn't great game design.

The campaign assumes a fairly mobile evasion-heavy playstyle that the bulwark bunker mechanics don't support, so transitioning from random missions where the best tactic is to let the enemy break themselves on your face to missions that encourage you to move quickly can be very jarring.

That doesn't mean the game isn't enjoyable to play. The campaign missions are puzzles with luck-based elements.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!

Veryslightlymad posted:

1)You would need to have 3 highlanders
2)Kamea must survive, and while her mech is really, really good.....
3)When something ludicrous like 200 different things are being shot at you/her a round, chances are pretty loving good you're just going to have her/your head blow up anyhow.

Again, it's not like I've been stuck on it, it's just too much bullshit to deal with and bad game design. You have to park your "Must survive" character for four turns under fire from eight distinct mechs, and this is after already completing a full-size mission.

About the only thing that comes close to reminding me of this sense of "I didn't actually make a difference tactically on this map" is the infamous "Protect Rafa" mission in Final Fantasy tactics you'll frequently fail before you even get a turn.

It's got issues, but you don't need to park Kamea anywhere. You can murder all the enemies, then complete the mission in total safety. Once the enemy lances dropped, I booked her to my back lines and handled it mostly with my other 3 mechs. Once they were all dead I strolled onto the objective and held it as required. ...Then Kamea died because I got the dropship landing marker glitch, but the second time it worked fine.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I've been liberal with precision shots and i had bulwark highlanders on point. Even the swarm can be divvied up.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I had some issues with that mission as well (exacerbated by me taking the missions as quickly as they became available, rather than bumming around doing random missions) -- the map design suggested to me that I should take the most direct route to the APC with the hostage, rather than heading along the road that converges on their destination. There's a bit of dialogue that suggests intercepting them before they reach the base would be useful, but there's no practical way to this before the base defenders mobilise that I could see. It was a lot easier to just beat them to their destination, kill everything there, and then shoot them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

I had some issues with that mission as well (exacerbated by me taking the missions as quickly as they became available, rather than bumming around doing random missions) -- the map design suggested to me that I should take the most direct route to the APC with the hostage, rather than heading along the road that converges on their destination. There's a bit of dialogue that suggests intercepting them before they reach the base would be useful, but there's no practical way to this before the base defenders mobilise that I could see. It was a lot easier to just beat them to their destination, kill everything there, and then shoot them.
I had this problem with it too and it pissed me off because it was so misleading, especially when you are saddled with an Atlas.

edit: And there is other janky bullshit in some of the other stoy missions, like one of the later ones where you have to destroy the artillery power generators (the mission with the spotting Spiders you have to blow up).... turns out that if you blow up a generator your turn ends immediately, so if you have mechs in the artillery landing zones, it sucks to be you!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So am I the only one who had just the one highlander? Are you guys just... farming Highlanders?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Veryslightlymad posted:

So am I the only one who had just the one highlander? Are you guys just... farming Highlanders?
I had a Grasshopper (ml+mg), Orion (LRM 30 + 4ML), the story Highlander (Gauss+PPC+LRM 15), and Kamea's Atlas. The thing is, when that final part happened in that mission, I didnt bother occupying the zone and instead just ran clockwise around that zone nuking the poo poo out of each of the enemies in detail.

edit: Otherwise yes, eventually my lances at the endgame were all Highlanders because the game just vomitted them at me.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

By the end of the campaign I had 4 Highlanders, but no King Crabs, Banshees or Battlemasters though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I had this problem with it too and it pissed me off because it was so misleading, especially when you are saddled with an Atlas.

edit: And there is other janky bullshit in some of the other stoy missions, like one of the later ones where you have to destroy the artillery power generators (the mission with the spotting Spiders you have to blow up).... turns out that if you blow up a generator your turn ends immediately, so if you have mechs in the artillery landing zones, it sucks to be you!

I'm starting to wonder if playing in Ironman is as bad an idea as it is in XCOM.

e: It does load way faster with only the one save now though

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm starting to wonder if playing in Ironman is as bad an idea as it is in XCOM.
I wont be doing Ironman with this game but I will have respect for anyone that does. Too many janky bullshit moments like that for me...it blew up my Grasshopper and killed Eck, who has the best voicelines so even if I would win the mission I would quit the campaign :v:

It is possible what I experienced was a bug but I was careful to avoid blowing up the generators till each of my mechs was safe after I restarted.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm going into the final story mission with a Highlander, Stalker, King Crab, and Grasshopper. I've literally encountered 1 Battlemaster and 0 Banshees the entire game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm going into the final story mission with a Highlander, Stalker, King Crab, and Grasshopper. I've literally encountered 1 Battlemaster and 0 Banshees the entire game.
lol, I never saw a King Crab or a Stalker till after the final mission(s)

RNG take the wheel!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also I just realized the patch changes make my Stalker a lot less useful. I put 2x LRM15++ and 2x LRM20++ on it and it was an almost guaranteed knockdown every alpha strike. Guess that's not really workable anymore (good thing that's still 350 potential damage)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

You're in for a good time if you thought that one is bad, just you wait till you see what they have in store for you. That is just the tip of the shitberg of poorly designed missions.

In my whole play-through I failed 1 secondary objective in total because it failed before I knew what I was supposed to do. Other than that the missions are pretty easy just incredibly bad and I can see how some of them could cause people trouble if they're just progressing through game more quickly than I did.

Seriously though the Battletech priority mission designers should retire and never make a game again.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Veryslightlymad posted:

Did one of those tries involve getting flattened at the end by the missing landing zone markers bug? I didn't notice a specific patch notes about fixing those in particular, but hopefully it was part of the "We fixed a bunch of X" lump notes.

For reference.

Without bug.

WITH bug (Bonus, only marked tile is one SAFE from the ship).

And that's a before/After from within the same run of the mission :psyduck:

I can certainly understand the irritation with the last minute teleporting enemies. But more deserving of ire is the janky nature of "Please move your mechs into the circle. Gotcha, why would you move your mechs into an LZ, idiot? Oh by the way you still have to stay within the 1/4 of this circle that isn't death to make the countdown tick by".

Hold the line, sure. Hold the line where most of the area will kill you with your own ship? That's sorta questionable. Doing so where the warning elements are buggy as gently caress so I've heard about various people winning only to be crushed for their troubles? :fuckoff: I just bought you a pool before that mission Sumire, why would you do me like this?

I beat it readily enough via turbo murder, I didn't get crushed at the end, and I can still agree that somebody seriously dropped the ball on that mission.

Just not on the "Enemies too hard unless I bring an assault lance!" front :v: But then expecting the game to cheat rather than buy into "Git gud, it's hard but fair!" is worth 100-200 tons.

So I was genuinely more annoyed at the absurd yellow circle decisions and lack of QA, than being surrounded by enemies teleporting in. Because that's why they pay me the big bucks. Any merc unit can kite an existing lance, it takes a protagonist to be prepared for several lances spawning out of loving nowhere and then crushing them just because you can.

Veryslightlymad posted:

I didn't farm assault mechs and was very assault light for the plot missions. Royal highlander tops most of it (I think I even left it at home for extraction, if I'm reading those screenshots right), then I brought my 40 LRM "Angry catapult" Stalker to the final post extraction missions too.

That said? see above comment about how self awareness in expecting the game to cheat is worth more than an entire assault mech. You don't need to learn the scripted spawns if you expect scripted spawns to be around every corner :pseudo:

Pro tip: Max JJ pips > Bulwark if you are about to destroy a final target building in a later mission, if your high clifftop back is to the winding roads below :v: I love Bulwark/Ace Pilot brawlers. Nigh max evasion heavies are a joy.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 22, 2018

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's not that the mission design is inherently bad, it's that the priority missions are crippled by the need to be designed to be completeable by literally any lance composition of a certain weight because there's no marker of how powerful the player force will be.

If they had been part of a Mechcommander style linear campaign and styled around a known player Lance then they'd likely come off as a lot tighter and more interesting than 'kill two lances' which is every merc mission.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Guys! Harmony Gold shadow over Battletech is OVER, apparently for good as they've set up an agreement And not only that, they managed to get InMedia Res (Catalyst) off the hook at the same time. (I know some CGL haters are sad about that)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hIAGuxzEy3ZE4_mjyj-jiw4TMuwoIn3g/view

(all that's left is for the judge to sign the order)

Pirahna's Russ Bullock released a statement:

https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/266758-harmony-gold-lawsuit/

As many of you know for more than a year Piranha has been a defendant in a lawsuit filed by Harmony Gold. Very recently that lawsuit has been resolved.. The details on the resolution of the lawsuit are confidential and I am limited to this agreed upon language between HG and PGI.

Harmony Gold and Piranha Games are delighted to announce that they have ended their dispute. Piranha Games will continue to use the “classic” BattleTech designs and Harmony Gold and Piranha Games look forward to continuing to serve their respective fans and customers.

Many of you will have follow up questions but I must abstain from getting into a conversation on the matter.

At Piranha Games we thank you for your support during the process.

Russ

So, hopefully this means the unseen are coming to HBS's battletech

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bleh, all that does it kick the can down the road and means we are going to do the same exact dance the next time the MechWarrior/Battletech IP changes hands.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Harmony gold has "fans" now?

Are prospective assassins fans?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I hope this means Marauders down the line. I would love a Marauder.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I for one am happy to hear that Harmony Gold continues to serve its fans and customers.

:ironicat:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
On the plus side, HG did sue Tatsunoko so odds of them keeping the license are pretty slim when it comes up for review next(?) year.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm jonesing for more mechs. I hope HBS can talk Alexander Iglesias into doing some more redesigns for them (Crusader, Thug, Dervish, etc.)

Also they should put the J Edgar Hover tank into the game, because of the name :v:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You could just stand there and take it on extraction, or you could leave the zone and kill everything then come back. You're not required to just bend over and take it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Azhais posted:

You could just stand there and take it on extraction, or you could leave the zone and kill everything then come back. You're not required to just bend over and take it

That's not obvious but yeah you can trigger the timer, immediately run away and funnel everything, then walk back and brace for five turns.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

RBA Starblade posted:

That's not obvious but yeah you can trigger the timer, immediately run away and funnel everything, then walk back and brace for five turns.

iirc that's how i did it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Internet Explorer posted:

Bleh, all that does it kick the can down the road and means we are going to do the same exact dance the next time the MechWarrior/Battletech IP changes hands.

Not really, they can't bring up the claims again, since it was dismissed with prejudice. Unless HG put something in there, and I don't think Pirahna would want yet another round