Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I hope that guy adds a Wolfhound, Bushwacker, or a Fafnir eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Soon we'll have all we need for a Battletech the Animated Series campaign

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Goddamn can the expansion come out already. I want it now now NOW.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Sky Shadowing posted:

Also fun note, Minobu Tetsuhara was black but he's presented as the ideal Kuritan samurai. With a few exceptions (namely the Federated Suns), racism isn't a big issue in the setting.
And the Federated Suns are only explicitly racist against Asians, thanks to the Draconis Combine and the Kentares Massacre. Their racism is also presented as a bad thing and never excused in text (subtext is another story but I'm certain that was unintentional).

Most of the rest of the Inner Sphere was supposed to be very egalitarian as a general rule, though some states (and planets (and authors)) were better about that than others. Skin color was almost never used as a description for anyone who wasn't Kai Allard-Liao. We know Victor Davion's blonde-haired and blue-eyed but I can't think of an instance where we learn the color of his skin (and Takashi Kurita's "Kurita Blue" eyes are a trait House Kurita inherited from House Davion during that period of the Star League's history where Inner Sphere nobility were keenly interested in playing water polo in the gene pool).

Come to think of it, pretty much the only Great House that doesn't have at least some distant (or not so distant) blood relation to House Davion is House Liao. In more recent history, Victor Steiner-Davion really got around (Omi Kurita, Isis Marik, and if you count Alaric Wolf, Katherine Steiner-Davion ( :v: ))

Voyager I posted:

IIRC Takashi wasn't the direct agent of Minobu's downfall - that was his immediate subordinate responsible for the region the Dragoons were operating in, Warlord Samsonov. Apparently Takashi's intent was to have the Dragoons sufficiently compromised that they would become dependent on their relationship with the Combine and remain there rather than continuing on with their tour of the Inner Sphere, but Samsonov was a rather cliched Stupid rear end in a top hat character who bungled the situation spectacularly such that it became a blood feud that was ruinous to all involved parties.
It's also important to understand that the Warlords at the time were supposed to have virtually total control in their demesne, they answer to the Coordinator but the Coordinator is not supposed to give direct orders and instead offer advice and suggestions (and poetry) to trick or convince them to doing what the Coordinator wants them to. Takashi wasn't particularly pleased being a 'father figure' head of state (he was a pretty bad father in general) and tended to take a more direct hand in everything, which irritated his Warlords a lot.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 14, 2018

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Fuzz posted:

I'd wait on any mods since you know when the expac comes out it will break everything and it'll all have to be remade anyway.

I wouldn't worry about that until we have an actual release date for it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Honestly, the most annoying thing about Roguetech isn't the fact that you have to worry about starting from scratch again, it's the fact that the shop and planet possession database constantly goes tits up and that priority mission you just did to take over a planet from a rival clan was for naught because the result wasn't transferred, or the shop isn't working, or...or...or...

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 14, 2018

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I bought this at launch but it was not running well for me so I let it sit. I’m looking to start up a game now that’s it’s had a bunch of patches and seems to be running better for me.

I’m not great at this sort of game and usually rely on brute strength to win. I freaking love the battle tech universe though. What’s going to be the best way to build my pilots, and as a not great player are there any mechs or situations I should avoid?

I’ll be playing through the campaign for the first time so I don’t really want to mod it, although I will be doing a custom start to make things a bit easier for me. I just want to play robot adventures.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Bulwark is an amazing pilot skill, it is worth grabbing on everyone in pretty much every stituation.

For Rank 8 Pilot skills, I like Ace Pilot and Master Tactitician - My playstyle is very Brawly though.

SRM's are a lot of bang for their weight, and help forgive low gunnery pilots.

Melee is very good, it removes a lot of defensive buffs the target you punch has, and some mechs do a ton of damage in close combat (the Shadowhawk you start with is great for this, but needs to be rebuilt slightly as it starts with very low armour.)

Laser weapons get an accucary bonus, and arm mounted weapons get another bonus - so at the start of the game you can get a lot of milage out of an arm mounted laser weapon. This will fall off as you get deeper into the campaign however where you will want to switch to torso mounted weapons and use the arms as ablative armour if you can.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

clone on the phone posted:

What’s going to be the best way to build my pilots,

The OP strategy is to build every pilot as something-and-bulwark, because bulwark is the best level one. Bulwark is also very simple to use. I don't do that but sometimes my insistence on different builds for everyone bites me because pilots are injured or I forget who has what skill.

In a similar vein, I think Ace Pilot is a really powerful skill but also the hardest to use. I have it on two of my dudes, but frequently forget to plan for it. It needs to to combo with initiative order for best effect. So many turns I've thought poo poo I could have done something much more effective if I'd used him first and done shoot-move.

and as a not great player are there any mechs or situations I should avoid?

The only mech to avoid is the trebuchet, because a centurion is better at its job than it is. Other crap mechs are obviously crap.

Situation to avoid: Ballistics and LRMs do stability damage and get knockdowns / force mechs to brace to recover stab. Lasers and SRMs do more damage per ton. (PPCs are good at both but the heat is laffo.) You don't need to go all one way or the other, but a 50/50 mix is counterproductive if you never do enough stab to get knockdowns. Falling into the 50/50 mix just by doing what seems optimal for each individual mech is very easy though.

Also, avoid getting knocked down yourself if at all possible because the one thing the AI will really take advantage of is a mech flat on it's rear end.

Phrosphor posted:

Melee is very good, it removes a lot of defensive buffs the target you punch has, and some mechs do a ton of damage in close combat (the Shadowhawk you start with is great for this, but needs to be rebuilt slightly as it starts with very low armour.)

Melee also does amazing stability damage! There's nothing it can't do!

(Warning: side effects of melee may include rear hits, one-shot head punches, and picking juggernaut as your level 2 skill. Ask your darius if melee is right for you and your mech.)

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Klyith posted:

(Warning: side effects of melee may include rear hits, one-shot head punches, and picking juggernaut as your level 2 skill. Ask your darius if melee is right for you and your mech.)

Never let a friend do Juggernaut.

I like a ballistic on most of my mechs, but thats just flavor for me.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I bought this at launch but it was not running well for me so I let it sit. I’m looking to start up a game now that’s it’s had a bunch of patches and seems to be running better for me.

I’m not great at this sort of game and usually rely on brute strength to win. I freaking love the battle tech universe though. What’s going to be the best way to build my pilots, and as a not great player are there any mechs or situations I should avoid?

I’ll be playing through the campaign for the first time so I don’t really want to mod it, although I will be doing a custom start to make things a bit easier for me. I just want to play robot adventures.

Bulwark on everyone and from there any of the other skill trees are worth investing in. I prefer multi-target and breaching shot, personally.

Mechs to avoid:

Light: all of them. They're useless right out of the starting gate. They exist to be sold.
Medium: Cicada/Trebuchet
Heavy: Dragon/Quickdraw/Catapult (not terrible, but will be quickly replaced)
Assault: Awesome (mediocre at best)/Zeus/Banshee

Mechs you absolutely want:

Medium: Hunchback (if you can keep the right torso out of danger)/Centurion/Kintaro/Wolverine
Heavy: Thunderbolt 5SE/Grasshopper/Orion
Assault: Battlemaster/Highlander/Atlas/King Crab

Situations to avoid:

Overheating your mech too quickly. Heatsinks are your friend. Pile them on. If there's water/ice available, they'll buff your heatsinking as long as you stand on it.
Ammo explosions. Never ever ever place ammo in your side/center torso or the head. If they get crit, your mech goes boom.
Not having jumpjets. Always put jumpjets on your mechs. Just do it.
Being focus-fired. Sometimes your opponents will just decide "you know what? gently caress Dekker." and relentlessly wail on that one pilot. Pull them out of the fight and break line-of-sight for a turn or so, then re-insert them into the fray.
Letting SRM Carriers/Demolishers have a turn. They will lay waste to your mechs if you let them, they are always priority #1.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 15, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Klyith posted:

The OP strategy is to build every pilot as something-and-bulwark, because bulwark is the best level one. Bulwark is also very simple to use. I don't do that but sometimes my insistence on different builds for everyone bites me because pilots are injured or I forget who has what skill.

In a similar vein, I think Ace Pilot is a really powerful skill but also the hardest to use. I have it on two of my dudes, but frequently forget to plan for it. It needs to to combo with initiative order for best effect. So many turns I've thought poo poo I could have done something much more effective if I'd used him first and done shoot-move.

The only mech to avoid is the trebuchet, because a centurion is better at its job than it is. Other crap mechs are obviously crap.

Situation to avoid: Ballistics and LRMs do stability damage and get knockdowns / force mechs to brace to recover stab. Lasers and SRMs do more damage per ton. (PPCs are good at both but the heat is laffo.) You don't need to go all one way or the other, but a 50/50 mix is counterproductive if you never do enough stab to get knockdowns. Falling into the 50/50 mix just by doing what seems optimal for each individual mech is very easy though.

Also, avoid getting knocked down yourself if at all possible because the one thing the AI will really take advantage of is a mech flat on it's rear end.

Melee also does amazing stability damage! There's nothing it can't do!

Building off this, you can't go wrong building your squad around 3 basic roles: artillery, sniper, and bruiser.

Artillery: LRMs all day. These provide the bulk of the stability damage on a target. Don't need much armor they're not gonna be engaging from line of sight like 90% of the time.

Sniper: Stack as many AC5s on a thing (the starting Blackjack is good for this until you get something better aka a Jaeger) and use them to alpha down someone. Low heat and a huge bucket of ammo means you can just wreck face and knock basically anything over with a 1-2 punch from this and the Artillery. Rear armor is for chumps.

Bruiser: Melee and a shitload of SRM6s + other stuff, probably MLs. Jump jets on this dude, then bumrush/flank the enemy as you unload into them with piles of missiles. You will have two of these guys, and they will be the heaviest motherfuckers you can field. Keep their arms as clear as possible, they will get blown off often. The exception is the Grasshopper, who you load with as much Falcon Punch as possible and stack a few MLs and all the SLs, jets, and heatsinks, that's all. Then you run at stuff and punch it in the goddamn face while lasing off their nutsack point blank. Also, reinforce the legs and Mario stomp dudes.

This setup will get you through most of the game, honestly. You can change it later on, but for the most part it's all you need.

Also always put ammo in the feet and jump jets in the head/torso/crotch. Legs don't have guns, so if the ammo explodes you won't lose anything important. Jump jets in the torso so that when your leg is blown off you can just jump to get around quickly in a pinch.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 15, 2018

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Goddamn can the expansion come out already. I want it now now NOW.
No. i like sleeping too much for that to happen.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

isildur posted:

No. i like sleeping too much for that to happen.

Good, crunch is hell :devil:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Are there any mods that make Lights not garbage? I really enjoy the idea of running around like Sonic. But since even assaults can build up max evasion pips easily, there's literally nothing they do in the base game that gives them any unique role.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I've seen a few mods which alter how lights gain evasion and how evasion pips are stripped, and while those might also have some effect on the other weight classes you could probably tweak them to just make lights get the benefits and leave everything else alone.

for example there's one that cuts the value of each pip in half and makes it so heavier mechs can't accrue the way they can now, but lights can get them like crazy.

the problem you're going to run into late game though is firepower - lights just can't grind through assault armor the way you'll need eventually. but it might extend the early/midgame period where a mixed light/medium/heavy lance is the most tactically interesting and challenging, aka the most fun part :v:

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Nasgate posted:

Are there any mods that make Lights not garbage? I really enjoy the idea of running around like Sonic. But since even assaults can build up max evasion pips easily, there's literally nothing they do in the base game that gives them any unique role.

If you want, you can go peek in the Combat Constants json file and tweak stuff there. It's in Assets\StreamingAssets\data\constants. Some of the values I'd tweak are:

"ToHitMedium": 1,
"ToHitLight": 3,
"ToHitMovingTargetDistances":

Those first two control how hard it is to hit a light or medium 'Mech. Be careful with them, because when you first start out your gunnery sucks and you'll have trouble landing hits on enemy lights, which are very common in early game missions. The third one is an array that controls how far you have to move to get evasion pips. If you want to make maxing out evasion pips harder, you can push those values up higher.

There's lots of other stuff in there, but those are the ones I'd start with to change how lights play. I pushed pretty hard for all our configuration to be data-driven and visible to you, for exactly this reason.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

isildur posted:

If you want, you can go peek in the Combat Constants json file and tweak stuff there. It's in Assets\StreamingAssets\data\constants. Some of the values I'd tweak are:

"ToHitMedium": 1,
"ToHitLight": 3,
"ToHitMovingTargetDistances":

Those first two control how hard it is to hit a light or medium 'Mech. Be careful with them, because when you first start out your gunnery sucks and you'll have trouble landing hits on enemy lights, which are very common in early game missions. The third one is an array that controls how far you have to move to get evasion pips. If you want to make maxing out evasion pips harder, you can push those values up higher.

There's lots of other stuff in there, but those are the ones I'd start with to change how lights play. I pushed pretty hard for all our configuration to be data-driven and visible to you, for exactly this reason.

That's rad as heck. Thank you!

Maybe I'll post results itt once I get around to it(currently moving)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fuzz posted:

Building off this, you can't go wrong building your squad around 3 basic roles: artillery, sniper, and bruiser.
This setup will get you through most of the game, honestly. You can change it later on, but for the most part it's all you need.

Not disputing this is a good setup, but it brings up another situation to avoid: getting your forces split in any mission type where reinforcements could come at you from a bad direction. (Ambush, Convoy, Attack/Defend Base, and some of the plot missions) The artillery/sniper mechs can be extremely vulnerable in that case, the weight of those weapons are a real temptation to strip armor. One too many missions where my "rear" LRM mech suddenly became the front line was one reason I moved away from having a LRM boat entirely.

But if you want to get stab knockdowns every turn, especially against heavy or assaults with skilled pilots, you really do need a whole lot of LRM fire. I don't see many alternatives.

Nasgate posted:

goon sandwich anarchist made a fairly well-received set of alterations that give lights extra life:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821533&userid=140982&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post483957862

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Nasgate posted:

RogueTech makes lights much better. Evasion pips don't go away and there's less accuracy in general so lights can dodge tank by drawing fire away from slower mechs. With the right equipment they can get absolutely obscene movement and a mech that can jump 15 hexes a turn makes retrieval missions a cinch when you finish them in 2 turns. You also get access to a lot of weight saving equipment which proportionally benefits lighter mechs.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I also like how RogueTech overhauls skills-

Gunnery's Multi Shot is pretty much the same, but since Breaching Shot is now an equipment based effect you can combine both AND another skill which has good synergy.

Warlord replaces Multi Shot, giving bonus damage and firing arc. The wider arc meshes well with multi shot, and the bonus damage is absolutely devastating on weapons that scale up with proximity (snub nosed PPC, heavy Gauss, etc).

Piloting's Evasion is more useful than the stock one, because evasion pips don't go away.

Ace Pilot, as previously mentioned, is very underrated. For example, you can alpha strike up to max heat, and you'll still get to move before your mech shuts down (similarly, the potential overheat ammo explosion won't trigger until you move as well). If an enemy mech punched you, you can punch them back then move away as well I believe. It's also great when using indirect fire LRM, you can fire them before moving so you don't get a penalty to hit due to moving, then move afterward.

Guts's Juggernaut is similar to stock, but melee is much better in RogueTech overall. On a mech that can be built to instantly knock down a heavy mech with one punch, knocking their initiative back gives you more free hits before they can get back up.

Berserker braces you after melee, which makes a melee specialist so useful to have in your lance. Note it also triggers if you perform death from above, making the maneuver a little less risky. Juggernaut+Berserker is definitely a great combo.

Tactical Mastery got worse, because it no longer gives +1 Initiative (only a command console grants this now) but gives bonus stability and a few other bonuses if you Reserve, so it's not bad on lighter mechs. I do miss that +1 Initiative though.

Sensor Lock is pretty much the same. I guess it's a little better because it's one of the few ways to remove evasion pips (which, when you are outnumbered the AI will abuse the gently caress out of this on your faster mechs). With more long range options and also more ways to hide from LoS it can also help spot for some sniping, but the other skills are so good there's seldom room for it.

Bulwark is no longer a skill but rather attached to NSS and a few other stealth/ECM equipment. The idea is you hang back and make yourself hard to hit via ECM penalties to enemy fire/distance. However moving is really important in RogueTech so there's only a few cases where this is really worth it. Only main utility will be if you have hardened armor which gives a - 20% speed penalty but double the armor capacity, so you can have a King Crab with twin RAC/5 and some LRMs act as a nearly indestructible turret the whole battle, if you get lucky and have most enemies focus on him.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Panfilo posted:

RogueTech makes lights much better. Evasion pips don't go away and there's less accuracy in general so lights can dodge tank by drawing fire away from slower mechs. With the right equipment they can get absolutely obscene movement and a mech that can jump 15 hexes a turn makes retrieval missions a cinch when you finish them in 2 turns. You also get access to a lot of weight saving equipment which proportionally benefits lighter mechs.

RogueTech also lets you do all that with Assaults.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Lights can do it better and get more mileage out of weight saving equipment. A Venom can jump behind mechs and unload 4 medium pulse lasers into their back all day.

Ferro Fibrous is too bulky for heavier mechs but fine on a light mech even if it only saves you 1 or 2 tons. T3 patchwork materials is a flat .75 ton discount that is a much better deal on a light mech. Ditto for advanced JJ.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Panfilo stop channeling amanasleep

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I don't understand, you guys don't run lights all the time like I do?

I typically have my House Steiner lance set up as following:

Altas - Brawler
Atlas - Brawler
King Crab - Fire support
Highlander - Light mech/scout

I don't see a need to tweak anything to play lights...

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Everything I've heard about roguetech makes it sound really dumb.

"Run so fast you finish extract missions in two turns!" (if you don't want to play the missions, why not just mod them out of the game?)
"Your swarm of lights jumps around their swarm of lights until the ai fucks up and doesn't jump a mech very far!" (yeah, that definitely sounds like compelling gameplay...)
"My sooper speshul 200 ton mech has enough weapons and armour to take down a steiner scout lance single-handedly" (...)

It sounds like they're just randomly throwing poo poo in without any coherent gameplay design, or even understanding of how the vanilla systems work together to form a compelling gameplay experience.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Jabor posted:

"Run so fast you finish extract missions in two turns!" (if you don't want to play the missions, why not just mod them out of the game?)
"Your swarm of lights jumps around their swarm of lights until the ai fucks up and doesn't jump a mech very far!" (yeah, that definitely sounds like compelling gameplay...)
"My sooper speshul 200 ton mech has enough weapons and armour to take down a steiner scout lance single-handedly" (...)

It sounds like they're just randomly throwing poo poo in without any coherent gameplay design, or even understanding of how the vanilla systems work together to form a compelling gameplay experience.

That's exactly what they're doing.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Yeah, what? Lights rule. Y’all are nuts. Dekker in a Jenner is an unhittable death machine.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I usually mod the starting lance to something like Cicada, Panther, Locust, Locust and I really enjoy it.

It makes getting your first 'Real' medium mech feel like an achievment, and in the early game the enemy have such low pilot skills that you can succesfully evasion tank. I also have a huge softspot for the Locust, I think it is an amazing looking robit.

Did you know the 1V can be refit to have 3 small lasers and a medium? with more armour?

Also the Cicada 3C will never shine, but if it ever has a time to be workable its the super early game. You can refit it have 4 small lasers and a medium and a lot of armour. Making it a super fast Melee Assassin for the early game.

Lights are fun. Mediums are fun. I find the game gets boring once there are more than a couple of Heavies on the field.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Jabor posted:

I'd say you've hit the nail on the head.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah, what? Lights rule. Y’all are nuts. Dekker in a Jenner is an unhittable death machine.

I was gonna say that a Jenner can be a drat good mech well into the game.

2 Mlas, 6+4 SRMs, 2 or 3 jumpjets just to get over obstacles, and an Ace Pilot. You can do disgusting things like reserve until after an enemy moves, then run behind them and take two shots into rear armor before running off like a complete rear end in a top hat.

isildur
May 31, 2000

Jabor posted:

i love RT because they're able to push the game in deeply weird directions that we can't. so we get to see a *lot* of strange ideas put into practice. My mantra is 'never theorycraft, always prototype' and RT is a giant prototyping laboratory where I can see all kinds of alternate design paths we could have gone down, explored in real time by a large audience.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I imagine that it's a nice change of pace even if it's unbalanced. You keep the core mechanics and rad mechs, but vary the gameplay for a replay.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Jabor posted:

Most of the min maxing takes considerable time and luck to pull off. You have to pay drop costs which are proportional to your tonnage, and the difficulty of encounters scales with the quality of your gear. There's more money sinks along the way which keeps late game more interesting.

Finishing a retrieval mission in 2 turns is important if you happen to be hopelessly outgunned, are on a 6 month contract to fight on the planet and just had a tough battle two days prior. Your all star pilots are still recovering (fatigue) so you have a group of C listers, a Wolfhound with one functional arm, a Solaris spec Brawler with a woefully underpowered engine, a pirate Urbanmech with a pepper box rifle, and an actually quick jumpy mech. Doing the mission in 2 rounds guarantees you can survive completing it without having to abort or Welch on a lucrative contract.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Jabor posted:

So,basically Long War then.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Also, I really like what they did with heat management - it's closer to the tabletop, where overheating just increases the chances of shutdown or ammo explosion, and the more you overheat, the more likely something bad happens. Or you can roll the dice and push your mech to the limit.

Multiple piloting skill checks, fall damage, pilot panic, and pilot checks on missed melee are also nice additions.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

VolticSurge posted:

So,basically Long War then.

Long War is significantly better thought out than RogueTech.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Strobe posted:

Long War 2 however..

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Strobe posted:

Long war gave a lot of thought to how the gameplay elements worked together to make a satisfying game, and then they very deliberately constructed the exact opposite experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

Jabor posted:

That's all down to project management and doesn't say anything about coders and content creators.