Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Gameplay seems solid. Although headshots might be a little too common. In just two skirmish games, I've had three mechs get head-capped. Maybe I'm just (un)lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Skippy McPants posted:

Gameplay seems solid. Although headshots might be a little too common. In just two skirmish games, I've had three mechs get head-capped. Maybe I'm just (un)lucky.

Yeah, I haven't seen it yet.

What I have noticed is some odd AI behavior when they have LRMs. I had a match where as soon as a light got LOS on me the AI reserved an Atlas and an Orion to be LRM boats for way longer than it should have.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Honestly in Quill's video earlier today, and that dev battle a few weeks ago, there were a LOT of head hits as well given the total number of shots that seemed to be connecting. I'm somewhat suspecting there's an equal, or at least significantly better than TT, chance of head hits as anything else.

Can't do any testing personally as I was a $25 kickstarter, so still a few more months for me. The wallpaper email today was somewhat aggravating. :v:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, I haven't seen it yet.

What I have noticed is some odd AI behavior when they have LRMs. I had a match where as soon as a light got LOS on me the AI reserved an Atlas and an Orion to be LRM boats for way longer than it should have.

The AI seems to favor firing from outside LoS whenever it's an option, even if that means only firing one gun.

And just like pubbies in MWO, it does not grasp the concept of sharing armor.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
AI is no pushover. Took a lance of a Panther 9R, Vindicator 1R, Griffin 1N and Catapult C1 against a Locust 1S, Shadowhawk 2H, Hunchback 4G and Quickdraw 4G. I probably would have lost if I didn't have to quit because it was draining the battery on my laptop like crazy.

Also, how do I verify my laptop is using the right GPU? It has Intel integrated HD graphics and a 4GB Geforce GTX 960M, I was getting single-digit framerates at 1080P "High" and just wanted to make sure it wasn't an issue on my end.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Just ran my first skirmish. 22 turns. I went with the big battle size (there are 3 options, 15, 20, 25 - which I think means millions of c-bills? You literally cannot bring 3 Locusts and an Atlas on the lowest tier, RIP) - there are several premade lance compositions for each size skirmish or you can roll your own as long as you don't go over your spending limit.

Successfully DFAed someone, got punished and wrecked for going out of position for it, as should happen. Had "That's Battletech" happen when an Awesome cored my mostly pristine Commando with its PPCs. Ended up punching the poo poo out of that same Awesome with my Atlas and Orion to finish it. A very good first experience, really.

AI was pretty decent. Had trouble with focusing for a kill when fighting a heavy and an assault (it kept splitting punches between the Orion and Awesome at the end, for example) but it did well with the light/mediums, did well with keeping the Awesome back and PPC sniping until I forced it into melee range, basically played its mechs OK. I'm not sure I understand the knockdown mechanic very well because I kept punching the Awesome down and on their turn just got right back up and punched me. In the stream from before release, Mitch did a better job of locking down a mech with melee, maybe I need to look at that again and see what the difference was.

Performance was good. You're probably going to get a few hitches when it saves a 4K png screenshot but no performance issues otherwise. Score is 100% what you'd expect from HBS given Shadowrun DF/HK and Jon Everist.

Important:

also, this just made me smile. Look at those to-hit numbers. And I'm in water, so who cares about heat. :getin:

:siren: GIF zone :siren:

First, the aftermath of overextending for that sweet, sweet DFA. WORTH IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT *crunch*
https://gfycat.com/ElementaryBlushingArgali

Second, Atlas hungers.
https://gfycat.com/FrightenedLazyKoala

Third, Atlas hungers.
https://gfycat.com/OnlySinfulBedbug

e: it's been forever, how do I inline these things because I even downsampled them to not break tables

Lord Koth posted:

Honestly in Quill's video earlier today, and that dev battle a few weeks ago, there were a LOT of head hits as well given the total number of shots that seemed to be connecting. I'm somewhat suspecting there's an equal, or at least significantly better than TT, chance of head hits as anything else.

I got pretty regular head hits when firing LRM-20s. I think the scatter is such that one is bound to land on the head eventually and in a salvo that big, eventually means "most times."

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 1, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Skippy McPants posted:

It's probably down to missile weapons in this game having a hit for every single missile, vs the TT version of LRMs hitting in 5 missile clusters. So if someone is packing LRMs then they're really going to sandpaper the poo poo out of you and probably score a lot of head hits.

If you're talking direct damage headshot->dead from PPCs or something then :iiam: and or :battletech:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Pro tip- avoid doing repeated DFA's into water

My Panther suddenly had both legs removed explosively, I assume from them being stripped of armour and normal BT water-structure rules apply

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Q_res posted:

AI is no pushover. Took a lance of a Panther 9R, Vindicator 1R, Griffin 1N and Catapult C1 against a Locust 1S, Shadowhawk 2H, Hunchback 4G and Quickdraw 4G. I probably would have lost if I didn't have to quit because it was draining the battery on my laptop like crazy.

Also, how do I verify my laptop is using the right GPU? It has Intel integrated HD graphics and a 4GB Geforce GTX 960M, I was getting single-digit framerates at 1080P "High" and just wanted to make sure it wasn't an issue on my end.

You should have an icon in your system tray that looks like this:

Clicking it should show which programs are using the Nvidia GPU, if any.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah I just did my first skirmish, 18 turns, my lance was a Vindicator, two Shadow Hawks, and a Griffin against a Hunchback, Commando, Orion, and something else I can't recall and I got headcapped twice almost immediately.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Additional thoughts, some of the pilot skills/abilities appear poorly balanced at first blush. I'm not sure that the Piloting skill does enough, and the Evasive Move ability is head 'n shoulders better than every other ability in the beta. 50% evasion while still being able to fire your weapons? Yes, please.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Skippy McPants posted:

Additional thoughts, some of the pilot skills/abilities appear poorly balanced at first blush. I'm not sure that the Piloting skill does enough, and the Evasive Move ability is head 'n shoulders better than every other ability in the beta. 50% evasion while still being able to fire your weapons? Yes, please.

Haven't tried that one. Does Sensor Lock counter it? Multi-target seemed kind of gimmicky to me at first glance but then using it turned the battle around from "this is gonna get real interesting and could go either way" to "I have the advantage and can win this thing now" so that was pretty satisfying.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
First blood of my first battle: a Griffin DFA'ing a locust.

Sadly, it was my locust.

Also sad was the battle eventually just becoming two panthers doing that anime thing of constantly running behind the other guy's back until one of them managed to cripple the other's legs.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Here's my $.02:

Even without multiplayer I'm glad I backed because I'm having fun right now and, frankly, this game with a campaign layer is something I'd happily spend $50 on. So, for me, this is just getting to play some skirmish on a game that I'm paying what I think is a fair price for.

THAT SAID, I don't think I'd pay the extra $25 to get beta backer status if you don't have it already. I'm having a blast today, but I can tell this is going to get old fast as SP only with the limited selection of mechs and skirmish only. These kind of games really need that sense of growing your unit to tie together all the individual matches and make you want to take that next contract. IF you're really, REALLY into MP maybe back when that becomes available? I know I've got an old middle school buddy who I"m eagerly looking forward to having Mumble, BT, and beer nights with once that comes out.

Also, yeah, AI is no slouch. I've gotten my rear end handed to me a few times.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Well, RPS likes it. "BattleTech is the mech game I’ve always wanted"

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

This game owns hard. I also am getting owned hard by the AI. Everything owns.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Paingod556 posted:

normal BT water-structure rules apply

What impact does water have besides a cooling bonus?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Just had a Hunchback destroy my Panther's cockpit with a huge haymaker. This game is awesome.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

rt4 posted:

What impact does water have besides a cooling bonus?

I believe the standard rules are that if you're down to structure in a limb it's automatically destroyed in water. If that's correct, Paingod probably broke into structure on both their own legs during the DFA, landed in the water, and they both blew up. That's Battletech!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Psion posted:

Does Sensor Lock counter it?

Yeah. Sensor Lock and Bulwark seem like the two other good skills, but they're both a little more situational. I can't see a good use case for Multi-target, and Precision Strike could be useful in longer fights on turns where you only fire one gun to cool down, but ehhhh.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Precision Strike was great on my unit with a single PPC (Panther, I think) until that arm got blown off on turn 4 or whatever. Whoops! I imagine if played correctly that ability will be pretty helpful for One Big Gun-type lights. I also noticed that the Awesome, which only had one small laser, got the precision strike bonus during the melee phase because it was only firing one weapon (punching, apparently, does not count against it)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

canepazzo posted:

This game owns hard. I also am getting owned hard by the AI. Everything owns.

Oh yeah, game's awesome.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
QQ it wont let me full window at 25x14, it makes me fullscreen.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Current list of Beta Mechs (With Points/C-Bill cost included)

Assault 'Mechs
AS7-D Atlas ($11.4)
BLR-1G Battlemaster ($9.9)
VTR-9S Victor ($8.3)
VTR-9B Victor ($8.2)
AWS-8T Awesome ($8.2)
AWS-8Q Awesome ($7.7)

Heavy 'Mechs
ON1-V Orion ($8.0)
ON1-K Orion ($7.9)
CPLT-C1 Catapult ($7.1)
QKD-5A Quickdraw ($6.8)
QKD-4G Quickdraw ($6.7)
JM6-A Jagermech ($6.7)

Medium 'Mechs
KTO-18 Kintaro ($6.1)
GRF-1S Griffin ($5.6)
HBK-4P Hunchback ($5.6)
SHD-2H Shadowhawk ($5.4)
TBT-5N Trebuchet ($5.3)
GRF-1N Griffin ($5.2)
SHD-2D Shadowhawk ($5.2)
CN9-AL Centurion ($5.0)
CN9-A Centurion ($4.8)
HBK-4G Hunchback ($4.6)
VND-1R Vindicator ($4.2)

Light 'Mechs
JR7-D Jenner ($3.9)
PNT-9R Panther ($3.0)
COM-2D Commando ($2.5)
COM-1B Commando ($2.1)
LCT-1S Locust ($2.1)
LCT-1M Locust ($2.1)
UM-R60 Urbanmech ($2.1)
LCT-1V Locust ($1.8)

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
The sound of an Atlas alpha striking. My god. Yeah, this is pretty drat good. I'd like to see the ability to free-move the camera during shooting sometimes, because the constant zooming in whilst neat is a bit over-focused for my liking.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
My first round was just an Awesome and three Urbies. The round ended with my Urbies repeatedly ramming their heads into the crotch of enemy Hunchbacks after losing their arms. GOTY, would back again.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Psion posted:

I believe the standard rules are that if you're down to structure in a limb it's automatically destroyed in water. If that's correct, Paingod probably broke into structure on both their own legs during the DFA, landed in the water, and they both blew up. That's Battletech!

I did record it, so...

Nope, I just wasn't paying attention- both legs were in structure damage when I did the last DFA. So Never Not DFA might actually be wrong. :ohdear:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Lol, the first shot by the AI was a headshot. I'm guessing they're going to have to tweak numbers.
And the 2nd hit was a headshot too.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Games › Harebrained Schemes' HeadshotTech

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
Standing in water is like a goddamn super power in this game, I swapped the Awesome in one of my auto-loadouts for a Battlemaster, then just had it stand in the water alpha striking all game long. I still lost because my Commando got one-shot by the enemy Awesome, and one of my Jaegermechs lost both torsos (and the accompanying arms) one after the other over two consecutive turns, but hey, Battletech. gently caress it, the Battlemaster took the enemy Orion and Awesome with it before the end, so I'm gonna call it a good showing.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
1-0 against the AI, but lost a Kintaro to the enemy. Catapult, Victor, Kintaro, Panther vs Awesome, Commando, Vindicator, something else I can't remember but think Orion.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rocketpriest posted:

Standing in water is like a goddamn super power in this game, I swapped the Awesome in one of my auto-loadouts for a Battlemaster, then just had it stand in the water alpha striking all game long. I still lost because my Commando got one-shot by the enemy Awesome, and one of my Jaegermechs lost both torsos (and the accompanying arms) one after the other over two consecutive turns, but hey, Battletech. gently caress it, the Battlemaster took the enemy Orion and Awesome with it before the end, so I'm gonna call it a good showing.

Yeah, standing in water is too good. Sure, it can leave you in a bad position, but the able to chain alpha strikes on even your hottest mechs more than makes up for it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gwaihir posted:

You should have an icon in your system tray that looks like this:

Clicking it should show which programs are using the Nvidia GPU, if any.

Huh, I don't.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Heads up, ALL the Mech files are JSON, meaning there's a chance we could be able to add variants to the game that aren't currently there, or even aren't included in the full game.

I smell possibilities! Messing around with them right now, to add some pilots.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Heads up, ALL the Mech files are JSON, meaning there's a chance we could be able to add variants to the game that aren't currently there, or even aren't included in the full game.

Uh oh, return of the 8 PPC Hunchback.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The urban melee is a headbutt to the nuts. Just thought you should know.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah. Sensor Lock and Bulwark seem like the two other good skills, but they're both a little more situational. I can't see a good use case for Multi-target, and Precision Strike could be useful in longer fights on turns where you only fire one gun to cool down, but ehhhh.

Precision Strike on a Hunchback is exactly as amazing as it sounds, definitely don't dismiss it (seriously my first skirmish i bopped two enemy mechs with it despite forest and cover because getting the full 100 damage is obscene)

Similarly Bulwark on a Jaegermech on a hill is going to do approximately a zillion damage in tiny little ac/2 ac/5 shots over the course of a fight

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 1, 2017

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sky Shadowing posted:

They said from the start that they don't care how people hack up the game, just that why won't add tools to do so.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Taerkar posted:

Got my key...

...and am stuck at work until late due to month end close. :emo:

You must be an Accountant! I am a Tax Analyst and all of the accounting half of our team hates the first couple of days each month while I get to leave at 5 like any other day!

I can't wait for it to be 5 now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Skoll posted:

They said from the start that they don't care how people hack up the game, just that why won't add tools to do so.

I know that, I just I guess expected things to be more... locked down for the beta.

But I can't find portraits to edit to add in custom pilots :(