Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

TescoBag posted:

Thanks for all the info on the mods guys, I think I'll be going with BEX.

So, I don't want to do the main story, but I do want to do the flashpoints (being as I've never done them before but I beat the storyline) Is this an option with BEX?

Yes! I'm in the tail end of a run exactly like this. Just be aware that the map is MUCH larger than in vanilla so getting to specific flashpoints on time can be tricky. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but any flashpoints you miss show up after you've "completed" your career run.

e: Oh yeah and do Career mode, not Campaign.

TescoBag posted:

Any other mods to add in that would improve gameplay? Does BEX allow higher drop weights etc?

Sorry, can't comment on this! But I think Full Mission Control should allow you to customize drop weights, etc.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
If the Flashpoint mod used is the same as RogueTech's, you may have the option to replay the major storyline missions as "flashbacks", with your choice of mechs and pilots from the Argo. (Single lance obnly.) Go rescue Kamea from prison using a Steiner Steamroller Scout Lance? Sure, why not... the only times I've not been able to use my forces have been the inititial tutorial mission and the second part of Raising The Dead, when you've looted the SLDF armory. Otherwise, if Kamea drops with you, you can control her but she's got shite skills and stock(-ish?) Kintaro, so assume she's team target while the rest of your iron gets the paint sanded off.

I can't say if any other big modpack offer this option, however. I will say that with RT's electronics/sensors mechanics, the "sneak in and jack the resources" mission on Planet Lava becomes an absolute loving bastard.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Gwaihir posted:

DHS are just incredibly incredibly rare, so it's not surprising you've yet to see any extras. If you're just tooling through and don't want to deal with the rep stuff, I would feel no compunctions about loading up https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/408?tab=description and just fixing the rep and or black market access flag on your save.

Ah, cool. Should have realised someone would have created a mod to do this. I would have no problem grinding a few mission for minimum pay/salvage in order to boost my rep back up, but it won't give me the option. So, no guilt in just manually adjusting it.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Speaking of the black market, is there any interaction between planet tags and the black market? I have been flying around looking for ERSLs, LPL++s, and the like but they just seem to almost never spawn. I haven't seen a single ERML this whole playthrough.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

pun pundit posted:

Speaking of the black market, is there any interaction between planet tags and the black market? I have been flying around looking for ERSLs, LPL++s, and the like but they just seem to almost never spawn. I haven't seen a single ERML this whole playthrough.

Black markets pull from their own part list independent of anything else.

There might be a couple of systems that are both Former SLDF Presence and have a black market, so you could find a rare item in the regular market or the black market depending on what it is.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Man, I know this post isn't for anyone who's 'been playing this game for a while......but gently caress is that Fog of War so drat good. I was on my 3rd "actual" career mission where I can start racking up salvage and my 2nd seek & destroy mission. Trying to wrack up some salvage before doing the main "story" points......see a Jenner. No biggie, there's just one other Mech stomping around I haven't identified. Jenner is fast but no threat so meh. Already took out some tanks

A Wolverine comes stomping out of the woods and my heart skips a freaking beat. All of a sudden I get flooded with various Battletech books some 20 years ago and I am just PUMPED!!! And terrified lol
End of the mission, I managed to Salvage the whole thing. Super exciting stuff!!! Gotta figure out how to salvage Mech's better and how to change the load out.

The thing is, I really like the Spider and not sure if I want to drop him just yet. I dropped a few Jump Jets and added 2 additional Small Lasers. He Alpha Strikes like a champ and can always get behind to the juicy rear armour.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Man, I know this post isn't for anyone who's 'been playing this game for a while......but gently caress is that Fog of War so drat good. I was on my 3rd "actual" career mission where I can start racking up salvage and my 2nd seek & destroy mission. Trying to wrack up some salvage before doing the main "story" points......see a Jenner. No biggie, there's just one other Mech stomping around I haven't identified. Jenner is fast but no threat so meh. Already took out some tanks

A Wolverine comes stomping out of the woods and my heart skips a freaking beat. All of a sudden I get flooded with various Battletech books some 20 years ago and I am just PUMPED!!! And terrified lol
End of the mission, I managed to Salvage the whole thing. Super exciting stuff!!! Gotta figure out how to salvage Mech's better and how to change the load out.

The thing is, I really like the Spider and not sure if I want to drop him just yet. I dropped a few Jump Jets and added 2 additional Small Lasers. He Alpha Strikes like a champ and can always get behind to the juicy rear armour.

Early on the best way to max salvage is to pile up enemy injuries.

1)Pile on stability damage, fall down, take injury
2) Take out a leg, fall down, take injury (take out both and you get 2 out of 3 parts IIRC), this is easy with low level pilots as long as you take flanking shots
3) Destroy side torso, take injury, this is also easy with low level pilots as long as you take flanking shots
4) Head hit = injury too but early on your chance to hit the head is so trash it's not worth trying really

Of course if the fight gets desperate you kind of have to just go for the fast kill, but once you have a better handle on combat you can act more with an eye to saving salvage.

Once you have tactics 9 you can take called shots to the head and get instant kills with full salvage by spamming multiple >30 damage weapons or a few >60 damage weapons.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

I've been having fun with BEX, it's a touch harder than vanilla without being ball kickingly hard.

So, from what I have read about the mod they have specific groups moving around the map as they did in the lore. Any interesting places to visit at certain times to fight interesting enemies? Can you encounter groups like wolfs dragoons or snords irregulars on the map?

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Try dropping all of the JJs, and go with 2xML,2xSL. That should allow you to get armor to max or near max. The Spider is so fast, you don't really need the JJs to get back shots, and it can easily sprint to get out of trouble. The JJs make it run way too hot anyway.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TescoBag posted:

I've been having fun with BEX, it's a touch harder than vanilla without being ball kickingly hard.

So, from what I have read about the mod they have specific groups moving around the map as they did in the lore. Any interesting places to visit at certain times to fight interesting enemies? Can you encounter groups like wolfs dragoons or snords irregulars on the map?

Yes, along with other garrisoned forces. They have their own mech tables but they don't really seem that different in 3053 or whenever I am (few years off latest start)

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

So a quick question about battletech extended, or even possibly just Battletech in general.

I've started in 3025, I intend to run through until 3052 possibly. If a flashpoint comes up and expires, will I see that flashpoint again or is it gone for good?

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

TescoBag posted:

So a quick question about battletech extended, or even possibly just Battletech in general.

I've started in 3025, I intend to run through until 3052 possibly. If a flashpoint comes up and expires, will I see that flashpoint again or is it gone for good?

They will respawn until you complete them.

junidog
Feb 17, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Yes, along with other garrisoned forces. They have their own mech tables but they don't really seem that different in 3053 or whenever I am (few years off latest start)

I've been digging through the mech tables and I really don't understand why they bothered with the most of the mercs. Other than Snords (which is truly unique) and blackwind (which seems mostly generic?), the other companies all have mech weights that are at least 90% correlated with one of the great houses. Stapelton's weights are literally 99.8% correlated with Liao's in 3050 since there are only 3 differences: stapleton is twice as likely to field WHM6R and OTT7J, and half as likely to field WHM6L. Ambermarle is similarly 99% correlated with Liao, with a whopping 6 differences, the only significant one being that they field twice as many LCT-1V and LCT-1E. Whoop de doo.

I've been experimenting with trying to make the tables more fun by assigning any mech that's nearly unique to a faction to just that faction, then flattening the weights completely, but upweighting the mechs that are unique to each faction, and then assigning ~20% of the weight to rare mechs that don't naturally occur in many tables (SLDF mostly, but also stuff like the Toro where by default it only spawns for the Taurians, and only has a .7% chance so you'd never see it). So far it's been a lot more fun than facing the umpteenth griffin or victor.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

junidog posted:

I've been digging through the mech tables and I really don't understand why they bothered with the most of the mercs. Other than Snords (which is truly unique) and blackwind (which seems mostly generic?), the other companies all have mech weights that are at least 90% correlated with one of the great houses. Stapelton's weights are literally 99.8% correlated with Liao's in 3050 since there are only 3 differences: stapleton is twice as likely to field WHM6R and OTT7J, and half as likely to field WHM6L. Ambermarle is similarly 99% correlated with Liao, with a whopping 6 differences, the only significant one being that they field twice as many LCT-1V and LCT-1E. Whoop de doo.

I've been experimenting with trying to make the tables more fun by assigning any mech that's nearly unique to a faction to just that faction, then flattening the weights completely, but upweighting the mechs that are unique to each faction, and then assigning ~20% of the weight to rare mechs that don't naturally occur in many tables (SLDF mostly, but also stuff like the Toro where by default it only spawns for the Taurians, and only has a .7% chance so you'd never see it). So far it's been a lot more fun than facing the umpteenth griffin or victor.

The mech tables come from the FullXotlTables sub-mod (Xotl was the name of the author, I think). According to the author, the only consideration in designing the tables was to make them 100% reflect the mech tables used in the classic Battletech tabletop game. No consideration was given for game balance/design.

What you're doing is a better approach.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

junidog posted:

This is just a very classic battletech grog thing, for all of them the highest height they can aspire to is COMPLETE ACCURACY TO THE TABLETOP CANON and FULL LORE IMPLEMENTATION. Never mind that it's boring, tedious, poor doesn't make for an actually good gameplay experience.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A 5 star BEXCE mission just put me against a lance, reinforcements, and two support lances. In the corner of a desert map with no cover.

7 v 16 assaults :negative:

e: 7 v 20 with super assault vehicles too actually, it bugged and spawned them as stars (and bugged to have two support lances at all, I capped it). I just turned the game off lol, my grasshopper was dead in the first round of lrm 500, the Crusader died to AC20x6x2

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 5, 2021

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

A 5 star BEXCE mission just put me against a lance, reinforcements, and two support lances. In the corner of a desert map with no cover.

7 v 16 assaults :negative:

e: 7 v 20 with super assault vehicles too actually, it bugged and spawned them as stars (and bugged to have two support lances at all, I capped it). I just turned the game off lol, my grasshopper was dead in the first round of lrm 500, the Crusader died to AC20x6x2

Was it on that horrible desert map that's always used for convoy missions? That map is particularly egregious for not having any cover on it. I usually just reload to pre-mission if I wind up on that map.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

fennesz posted:

Was it on that horrible desert map that's always used for convoy missions? That map is particularly egregious for not having any cover on it. I usually just reload to pre-mission if I wind up on that map.

Sure was lol

Also lol, I brought an eighth ai controlled guy along because I didn't have the final upgrade to see how it'd do. They turned their back to the enemy and held in place for three rounds. The rifleman and the pilot didn't make it.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Is that the Wile E Coyote Preserve, with the assorted pillars in the middle, and a switchback road leading way up top of the canyon wall to the Hoover Dam (or an IS facsimile) roadway? I've done that few times in vanilla, and getting topside does help slightly in survivabilty, in that you're then only vulnerable to indirect fire.

Until you run out of LRMs yourself, and have to peek out and get team-targeted by everyone.

Or the Jun horde follows the same road up and you experience the "unknown mech moving" - pops into view - gently caress me - alpha - next! conga line.

Still, better than the atrociously tiny highlands one(s) where even given drop control, you're stuck in one corner in plain sight of 98% of the map... or the same-thing-but-martian one. (Lower LoS in exchange for EM/temperature effects - welcome to Chosin Reservoir, running dog!)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ygolonac posted:

Is that the Wile E Coyote Preserve, with the assorted pillars in the middle, and a switchback road leading way up top of the canyon wall to the Hoover Dam (or an IS facsimile) roadway? I've done that few times in vanilla, and getting topside does help slightly in survivabilty, in that you're then only vulnerable to indirect fire.

Yep only the map set up so I was in the corner in the water with nowhere to move. I could have taken them even then until the reinforcement wave of even more lrm assault mechs spawned behind me

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Seems decent.

:getin:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It turns out that BEX has not one but two overrides to mission control to make sure it spawns double lances around you at difficulty 9.5-10 with full control on. It also starts spawning superheavy turrets with 5 initiative. It's desperate to gently caress you.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Time to refit two lances to be all flamer/incendiary/inferno, because whoever added this name needs to be purified with flame.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Why the gently caress does a Flashman in BEX look like an Imp? Does the CAB not have a working model for the Flashman?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I'm finally getting a new comp and am excited to play this again. My last campaign stalled out when it started crashing after 2-3 battles

I'm messing around with MW5:Mercs but the economy is just plain busted. You can buy assault mechs from a store after a dozen missions or so. Also if this is the improved ai then I can easily see why people dunked on this game

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Ygolonac posted:

Time to refit two lances to be all flamer/incendiary/inferno, because whoever added this name needs to be purified with flame.

Wikipedia posted:

Zenzizenzizenzic is an obsolete form of mathematical notation representing the eighth power of a number (that is, the zenzizenzizenzic of x is x8), dating from a time when powers were written out in words rather than as superscript numbers. This term was suggested by Robert Recorde, a 16th-century Welsh Physician, Mathematician and writer of popular mathematics textbooks, in his 1557 work The Whetstone of Witte (although his spelling was zenzizenzizenzike); he wrote that it "doeth represent the square of squares squaredly".

Welp, there's your problem right there. <spits Space Chaw juice> Y'all's multi-ton targeting computers and all that? Because yer ref'rence manuals 'r' outta date. Now, I *can* assist yuh some, give you some pointers to tracking down a gen-u-wine Lostech trove of tech data, old parts 'n' testing gear and such.

But, you best be ready... it's plumb dangerous, and folks already been searchin' the spaceways forever for this...

THE HEATHKIT MEMORY CORE

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
RogueTech has turned into bloated garbage and BTA 3062 seems to love to crash like crazy. Any other recommended overhauls?

Edit: BEX seems to be the answer.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ben Quebec posted:

RogueTech has turned into bloated garbage and BTA 3062 seems to love to crash like crazy. Any other recommended overhauls?

Which crash are you getting?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Ben Quebec posted:

I've only tried BEX but really enjoy it. That said, I'm a BattleTech scrub with essentially no knowledge of the lore and just like when my space robot punches the head off of another space robot.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Gwaihir posted:

Which crash are you getting?

In melee. It's like a crapshoot as to whether or not my game will softlock and the mod author has decided to remove in battle saves. Tight, tight.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Ah, yeah, that just started happening in the latest release unfortunately. The latest they've said is that the release from 4 days ago will help, but that a full fix is still forthcoming. Anecdotally for me, if you don't have the skills that do double melee damage (One of the r8 guts skills makes kicks hit twice, the other makes physical weapon attacks and punches hit twice), then it works fine, but it is really annoying. to effectively not be able to use melee mechs without risking a torpedo of your whole mission.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
What's the Clan Wars mod? 13-year old me needs to get his Masakari on.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Ben Quebec posted:

In melee. It's like a crapshoot as to whether or not my game will softlock and the mod author has decided to remove in battle saves. Tight, tight.
BEX has been mostly crash-free for me, but all three of the big overhaul mods (ie including BEX) disable in-battle saves, fwiw

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Zephro posted:

BEX has been mostly crash-free for me, but all three of the big overhaul mods (ie including BEX) disable in-battle saves, fwiw

Why is that? Just designer vision or it's necessary for some reason?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
BEX claims it's because it would break all the time, presumably due to all the additional setup involved in making the game use new mechs, weapons, loadouts, etc.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm a few hours into a playthrough, I've done three or four story missions and have one heavy mech, this is farther than I've gotten in the game before and it's all clicking pretty well, but there's something I have to ask about.

I'm having my mechs constantly jumpjet from one stand of trees to another and it seems way better than any other defensive action I could take? If I move they get one or maybe two evasions, and facing becomes an issue. If I don't move at all it seems like a really bad choice even for mechwarrior skilled in bulkwark?

I'm worried I'm not engaging with all the game mechanics properly because I feel like moving, jetting, or standing still should be three different viable options. Can anyone tell me more about when and how to use each method?

I know the pilot skill adds one more evade, and that's good, but it still doesn't seem as good as jumpjetting, which adds a ton of evade, gives you whatever facing you want, and often lets you land right into cover.

As an aside, this is also weird to me because, in the mechwarrior games, I feel like jump jetting was the opposite of evasive; you adopt a predictable trajectory and come to a dead stop on landing.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 7, 2021

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

A Strange Aeon posted:

Why is that? Just designer vision or it's necessary for some reason?

It's purely because the game just breaks trying to load with so many extra assets in fight, none of the mod groups think it's better to be unable to save lol. Loading is so bad they all suggest just closing and opening the game again if you do need to load from a save.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm a few hours into a playthrough, I've done three or four story missions and have one heavy mech, this if farther than I've gotten in the game before and it's all clicking pretty well, but there's something I have to ask about.

I'm having my mechs constantly jumpjet from one stand of trees to another and it seems way better than any other defensive action I could take? If I move they get one or maybe two evasions, and facing becomes an issue. If I don't move at all it seems like a really bad choice even for mechwarrior skilled in bulkwark?

I'm worried I'm not engaging with all the game mechanics properly because I feel like moving, jetting, or standing still should be three different viable options. Can anyone tell me more about when and how to use each method?

I know the pilot skill adds one more evade, and that's good, but it still doesn't seem as good as jumpjetting, which adds a ton of evade, gives you whatever facing you want, and often lets you land right into cover.

As an aside, this is also weird to me because, in the mechwarrior games, I feel like jump jetting was the opposite of evasive; you adopt a predictable trajectory and come to a dead stop on landing.

If you're in a fight, when it comes to evasion, mobility, and facing, you're right that jumping is the objectively superior option. Sprinting can be better than jumping for evasion, but you don't get to shoot after.

The big reason not to jump constantly is that it generates a lot of heat. If you're in a long fight and you want to be shooting every turn, moving and shooting will keep your heat levels much more manageable than jumping and shooting. This will get more noticeable as you move out of the light and medium phase of the game and start piloting mechs that need more elaborate heat management because they're shooting more weapons every turn. You'll also notice it more in certain biomes. If you're jumping constantly on a lunar map, after a turn or two that will be limiting your damage output a lot.

The other thing is that you might end up with some mechs that don't have jump jets, since heavy and assault JJs take up more weight and space than light ones. To get an assault mech jumping any reasonably distance means dedicating at least six tons of weight to jump jets, which is six tons that aren't getting used for weapons, armour, or heat sinks. So you might not always have the option of jumping once you get into heavy and assault mechs, depending how you build your mechs.

So basically jumping is almost always optimal early in the game and remains a good option forever, but as you get into heavier mechs you start having to balance jumping against other things more than you do early on.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Jumping is really nice for pretty much the reasons you list, but it comes with two downsides:

- It generates a lot of heat, which can end up limiting how many weapons you can fire off each turn
- The jump jets themselves take up weight and space on the chassis that could be used for other things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I thought that might happen, I tried to imagine an atlas flipping back and forth like a contra character and couldn't; I'm guessing the piloting skill turning one evasion a turn into two will become a lot more useful then. Honestly I'm really looking forward to having some diversity in my front line options instead of three mechs playing musical chairs with tree stands while a third stands back at long range.

Is there a skill tree that is about NOT moving? I feel like Bulwark applies to any cover but I'm worried/hoping I'm missing something.