Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Clanners must have really wanted you dead :v:

Out of all the mods though BEX is really the only one that does a good job of keeping the rare mechs, well, rare. (thanks to using these https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Faction_Assignment_%26_Rarity_Tables and keeping stuff like royal variants and such exclusively to Comstar who only rarely show up in certain missions and the really good house mechs to more difficult missions targeting specific elite units, though said elite units can show up as the OPFOR in any mission if you're unlucky enough to be close to a planet they're garrisoning at the time.)

That said, the latest BTA version did a small tweak making Grasshoppers spawn less, so maybe they're starting to tone down the insanity there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The flip side is that any fight with Capellans in BEX is like 3 ravens and a Vindicator. I think it leans too far in the other direction, following canon to detriment of gameplay --- the player generally wants to see the rare mechs to collect them!

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Can't say I've ever had a problem with it, now starting a new career in a 3025 start, yes, since that's a "hope you like bugs, Griffins and Phoenix Hawks" purgatory, but any start post-helm or when the Clans have shown up everyone has a decent enough variety going by that point.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Really the most amusing thing I've had in my current BTA playthrough is the opfor fielding Direstars, but being too afraid of heat to fire even a single shot.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

It sounds like there's an odd Clan sibko that doesn't take instructions well.

Star Captain: "Make sure you destroy the freebirths are eliminated quickly! And don't let our glorious technology fall into their filthy hands!"

SirPhoebos posted:

BTA Got into a solo duel with a drunk Clanner. Its a lunar environment and they're in an Atlas IIC. On their first Salvo, before I can get a shot off, they blow half their mech up from overheating. Still debating if this is an AI issue or working as intended.

Star Captain: "Nicholas H. Kerensky, you stupid stravag idiots. Watch your heat!"

IOwnCalculus posted:

Really the most amusing thing I've had in my current BTA playthrough is the opfor fielding Direstars, but being too afraid of heat to fire even a single shot.

Star Captain: [Spaces himself]

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Warad posted:

Can't say I've ever had a problem with it, now starting a new career in a 3025 start, yes, since that's a "hope you like bugs, Griffins and Phoenix Hawks" purgatory, but any start post-helm or when the Clans have shown up everyone has a decent enough variety going by that point.

I could never get BEX's timeline/time progression stuff working, which is too bad because the idea of taking a merc company from 3025/3039 to the fall of the Second Star League seems like a fun idea to me.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

I could never get BEX's timeline/time progression stuff working, which is too bad because the idea of taking a merc company from 3025/3039 to the fall of the Second Star League seems like a fun idea to me.

That's...weird. The only thing I know of that can screw that up is if you reload a save without restarting the game first (which is a thing for every other major mod nowadays) or the install got really messed up for some reason.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I'm still sorting out my old mods and seeing what new ones are available.

Does cFixes already cover the Royal Marauder and Crab Tonnage Fix mod? (And the Big Claw fix too?)

https://github.com/BattletechModders/cFixes/releases

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/564?tab=files

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Hannibal Rex posted:

I'm still sorting out my old mods and seeing what new ones are available.

Does cFixes already cover the Royal Marauder and Crab Tonnage Fix mod? (And the Big Claw fix too?)

https://github.com/BattletechModders/cFixes/releases

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/564?tab=files

I know I fixed some with some of the units with FF armor, but I'll see if I can get some time to compare that mods' fixes vs cFixes.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Amechwarrior posted:

I know I fixed some with some of the units with FF armor, but I'll see if I can get some time to compare that mods' fixes vs cFixes.

Thanks. cfixes also seems to be superceded by this one:

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/646?tab=description

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Hannibal Rex posted:

Thanks. cfixes also seems to be superceded by this one:

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/646?tab=description

cFixes fixed the tonnage issues for those except for the BSC. Either I didn't catch that or left it for some reason like it was a custom job and has tonnage errors due to that. Both mods fixed the MAD-2R armor, but we have different values by 1 TT armor point. I don't know which is correct at this time. Also, they didn't catch the "CRB-27b" not "CRB-27B" error in the description texts.

Yea, the UBTP has taken up where I left off with cFixes. We had envisioned cFixes as a community effort, where new modders could take over from the older ones (I took over from JustinKase when he went dark) but the UBTP guy kind of had this thing going before he approached me, or it didn't occur to me to offer the keys to him.

The main page on the cFixes git lists every file we touched and why, so it's a great reference to check if we fixed something. https://github.com/BattletechModders/cFixes

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Coming back to this after a couple years to get my stompy robot fix :black101:

Here's the mods I recalled being worthwhile, interested in what y'all recommend for a vanilla++ run before I do stuff like bumping the timeline forward and whatnot.

Particularly seem to recall that a pilot AI mod and general weapon rebalance mod might be good but I dunno what exists for that.

Here's what I have so far based on what was in my mods folder from last time:
BattletechPerformanceFix
BTMLColorLOSMod
CrystalClear
DontShootTheDead
Flashpoint_Stock_Photos
Flashpoint_The_Raid
LittleThings
ScorchedEarth
TurretlessVehicleHits
UBTP
Flashpoint Spawn Adjustments

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

the yeti posted:

Coming back to this after a couple years to get my stompy robot fix :black101:

Here's the mods I recalled being worthwhile, interested in what y'all recommend for a vanilla++ run before I do stuff like bumping the timeline forward and whatnot.

Particularly seem to recall that a pilot AI mod and general weapon rebalance mod might be good but I dunno what exists for that.

Here's what I have so far based on what was in my mods folder from last time:
BattletechPerformanceFix
BTMLColorLOSMod
CrystalClear
DontShootTheDead
Flashpoint_Stock_Photos
Flashpoint_The_Raid
LittleThings
ScorchedEarth
TurretlessVehicleHits
UBTP
Flashpoint Spawn Adjustments

Klyith posted:

A few other vanilla or vanilla-ish mods I think are cool:

BetterAI - enemies are more aggressive & can reserve
BTML Color LOS Mod - make targeting lines give more information / have different colors
BTRandomMechComponentUpgrader - enemies can get + weapons & upgrades
BT Simple Mech Assembly - Yang can glue mech parts from variants together
Headshot Weapon Limit - Nerf called headshots by limiting how many weapons can be used
MechMaintenanceByCost - cheap mechs costs less for upkeep than an Atlas II
PilotHealthPopup - shows you the HP when you injure an enemy pilot
PPC 30 Heat - most people agree that 35 heat PPCs are pretty underpowered (this is a super-basic sample mod I made to demo how easy mods are)

I made a mod called SLDF Incoming which hasthe special SLDF mechs show up as enemies in missions. They're still quite rare, and show up with a strong lance of good support and high-end pilots. It's semi-vanilla: the mechs are in the game, they just never get spawned in missions. The only place you see them is shops and rewards.

Klyith has been on top of vanilla++ for a while

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

oh sick ty that's like 95% of what I wanted. Onedrive is giving me poo poo atm though, is the PPC heat mod hosted anywhere else?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

the yeti posted:

oh sick ty that's like 95% of what I wanted. Onedrive is giving me poo poo atm though, is the PPC heat mod hosted anywhere else?

I tried regenerating the link? https://1drv.ms/u/s!Amy6l_wt7eiuchNqhs-LNJnFwI8?e=8RzmDP
if that doesn't work I can put it somewhere else

I should really put my poo poo on a github or something, but it didn't seem like a lot of people were all that interested.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Klyith posted:

I tried regenerating the link? https://1drv.ms/u/s!Amy6l_wt7eiuchNqhs-LNJnFwI8?e=8RzmDP

I should really put my poo poo on a github or something, but it didn't seem like a lot of people were all that interested.

I think you'd be surprised. I was actually considering a vanilla++ run. SLDF would make mech-pokemon more fun

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Klyith posted:

BTML Color LOS Mod - make targeting lines give more information / have different colors
Headshot Weapon Limit - Nerf called headshots by limiting how many weapons can be used
PPC 30 Heat - most people agree that 35 heat PPCs are pretty underpowered (this is a super-basic sample mod I made to demo how easy mods are)

I made a mod called SLDF Incoming which hasthe special SLDF mechs show up as enemies in missions. They're still quite rare, and show up with a strong lance of good support and high-end pilots. It's semi-vanilla: the mechs are in the game, they just never get spawned in missions. The only place you see them is shops and rewards.

I wonder if that SLDF mod is compatible with BEX.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Klyith posted:

That worked fine, thanks bud

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I wonder if that SLDF mod is compatible with BEX.

on paper yes but BEX makes changes to the available mechs for enemy drops. so you may not really see an effect

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I'm staying away from the megamods, but BTR and XAI both look interesting. Has anyone tried both and can compare them?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

How is this game more buggy than the last time I played it lol. I just started a new campaign, was fiddling in the mech bay and the "revert changes" button instead stripped my mech. After that no equipment showed up in the sidebar, and after that I couldn't leave the mechbay. Tried to load a save to get out of it and the game zoomed in on the mech, removed the UI, and hung.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

the yeti posted:

How is this game more buggy than the last time I played it lol. I just started a new campaign, was fiddling in the mech bay and the "revert changes" button instead stripped my mech. After that no equipment showed up in the sidebar, and after that I couldn't leave the mechbay. Tried to load a save to get out of it and the game zoomed in on the mech, removed the UI, and hung.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

the yeti posted:

Changed or updated your mods? This is a pretty normal thing to happen when you have a mod item or thing that is broken or missing. The UI just progressively falls apart in weird ways.

Modtek saves good logs in /Mods/.modtek to help diagnose what made it choke.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I would love a sequel but honestly I'd be willing to pay for a damned remaster that just cut down on the waiting.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Arbite posted:

I would love a sequel but honestly I'd be willing to pay for a damned remaster that just cut down on the waiting.

at this point it's basically never going to happen and this game is what it is. I mean eventually computers will get good enough to brute force it

I'll probably keep playing this til a miraculous Mech Commander 3 comes out but let's be real that's probably not happening either

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Klyith posted:

Changed or updated your mods? This is a pretty normal thing to happen when you have a mod item or thing that is broken or missing. The UI just progressively falls apart in weird ways.

Modtek saves good logs in /Mods/.modtek to help diagnose what made it choke.

It’s a fresh install but it’s certainly possible something’s already hosed up

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Playing RogueTech again. New season is pretty fun. Big overhauls to artillery and stuff. If you're new to the mod I highly recommend going generous salvage and generous payments, ignoring the difficulty modifier, and just having fun building stupid stuff. But you probably do want to play on the online map, ally with a faction, and register with the discord so that you can use the online shops as they massively ease the difficulty curve.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

CompeAnansi posted:

Playing RogueTech again. New season is pretty fun. Big overhauls to artillery and stuff. If you're new to the mod I highly recommend going generous salvage and generous payments, ignoring the difficulty modifier, and just having fun building stupid stuff. But you probably do want to play on the online map, ally with a faction, and register with the discord so that you can use the online shops as they massively ease the difficulty curve.

what in the world, they added a Helldivers type overworld map to a BattleTech mod. wowza. I'll probably never play it but thats pretty impressive

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah that was the war mod that got put out a few after release of the game before rt incorporated it

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Arbite posted:

This is a design feature of Classic BattleTech. The only way to speed it up, is to have all your guys move at the same time, and then shoot at the same time, and have the enemies do the same thing simultaneously. Alpha Strike does this to an extent. Or could have one side move at a time, based on random initiative.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

This is a design feature of Classic BattleTech. The only way to speed it up, is to have all your guys move at the same time, and then shoot at the same time, and have the enemies do the same thing simultaneously. Alpha Strike does this to an extent. Or could have one side move at a time, based on random initiative.

I think the waiting they're talking about is

(This is why I stick to vanilla++. At this point my PC can load a mission faster than I can get a drink.)

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Klyith posted:

you once mentioned making a mod for adding quirks to the other mechs in the base game. any chance that still exists and you'd be willing to upload?

I think I really am going to do a vanilla++ campaign. I've kinda gotten bored of Phantom Brigade. there isn't enough weapon customization or shops to really sustain my desire to keep playing. plus there's also no real failure state

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
BTA question- anybody ever run the math on the lightest Mech you can one-punch headshot someone with? Like with both of the heaviest (B20) hand actuators?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Stravag posted:

Yeah that was the war mod that got put out a few after release of the game before rt incorporated it

I think the online map itself is an RT-specific thing, it's just built upon WarIIC or whatever it's called.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

No the map where peoples missions would influence the territory each house controls has been a part of the war mod since the beginning

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I started up a campaign last night with these mods and the first mission loaded in like 20 seconds, incredible. I also forgot about Coolant Flush and some other base game features so this will be fun rediscovering the past

• BasicPanicSystem - with Klyith's config from a while back
  • BattletechPerformanceFix
  • BetterAI
  • BTMLColorLOSMod
  • BTRandomMechComponentUpgrader
  • BTSimpleMechAssembly
  • DontShootTheDead
  • Flashpoint Spawn Adjustments
  • Flashpoint Stock Photos
  • Flashpoint The Raid
  • Headshot Weapon Limit
  • Mech Maintenance by Cost
  • Mission Control - with BTA's configs but I'll mess with this more later
  • Pilot Health Popup
  • PPC Heat
  • Scorched Earth
  • Skip Intro
  • Skip Travel Cutscenes
  • SLDF Incoming
  • UBTP

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What does don't shoot the dead do?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

you once mentioned making a mod for adding quirks to the other mechs in the base game. any chance that still exists and you'd be willing to upload?

Absolutely. I'll work on tidying that up and put it + SLDF Incoming on github.

ilmucche posted:

Makes it so when a melee attack gets the kill, the mech doesn't also fire the support weapons.

Why this is good: in melee combat, the support weapons can destroy additional parts of the mech even if it's already dead, thus ruining salvage. Normal shooting afaik as soon as the CT is dead the damage processing kinda stops and the rest of the mech becomes salvage. (Also not shooting saves flamer & MG ammo and heat from slas.)

OTOH flamer celebrations after a kill are funny and I sometimes miss them.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

ilmucche posted:

don't fire support weapons if melee already kills the mech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
after taking a deeper look into BTA's Mission Control settings it looks nearly the same as stock except for the extended boundaries section. I could look at each map and see why but gently caress it I'll trust it for now

oh and my starting lance is a Centurion, Vindicator, Firestarter, Commando and a Spider :getin: