Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I picked this up during the Summer Sale. I've been having a blast, but I feel like I've hit a wall in the campaign at the "Best Served Cold" Priority Mission. I got annihilated by the reinforcements on my first attempt, and even knowing what's coming I don't think I have enough firepower/endurance on my roster to deal with that. I'm tempted to just start the campaign over, especially because I made a few rookie mistakes early that have just kept compounding (in particular not fully salvaging the Quickdraw from the first P.O. :suicide:)

EDIT: One other thing I think I need help with is how I should be using Light Mechs as I start adding heavier stuff to my roster. My initial thought is that as you start to fight heavier and heavier Mechs they're only going to take up a spot in the Lance and will just get focus fire'd down before they can even contribute. There has to be something I'm not realizing.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

^EDIT^: Okay, I feel less bad about that decision. Still, I've got a bunch of incomplete heavies and a poor understanding of how best to complete them.

Amechwarrior posted:

You can always just faff about doing random contracts to gather bigger units and increase your pilot skills. The story missions don't have a time limit to initiate for that reason.

Sure, but the only Mech's I've been able to complete through missions are Mediums and Lights. I've got a partial salvage of almost every Heavy, but the only model I've managed to complete is a Dragon.

I know there are missions that will have a Heavy you can capture without making you fight an entire lance of them, but they're not that common. I know if you go to another planet you get a fresh set of contracts, but there doesn't seem to be a way to preview what will be there unless it's a contract that pays for transit (unless I'm missing something). Same goes for trying to use the store to complete these Mechs - I can see what's available at the planet I'm at, but no idea if going to another planet will just be wasting my time. (unless, again, there's something obvious I'm missing).

So I've got a 2/3rds Quickdraw since the 1st PO (that I couldhave fully salvaged but I didn't understand how it worked when I did that mission) and have had no opportunity to finish it. So unless there's something I just don't know, I feel like my options for getting this thing on the field seem more tedious than starting over and being able to benefit from what I now know.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Thanks for the feedback, especially for pointing out that the Quickdraw is bad and I shouldn't feel bad about not salvaging it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm thinking about refitting my Dragon into a close range brawler with an AC/20 and SRMs. Is this a good or bad idea?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is there a website with suggestion on how to optimize Mechs? I feel like I'm going to wear out everyone's patience if I start asking about every hull that I complete.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Conspiratiorist posted:

*cough*

I don't think anyone really minds, just list what chassis you'd like advice on.

Well I just completed a Thunderbolt. It looks like it's got a lot of armor.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

When should I be using Light Mechs beyond the very early campaign?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

RBA Starblade posted:

I have a feeling this Star League was full of some bad dudes, and not in the fun way

"STEFAN DID NOTHING WRONG!" is probably a not-uncommon belief held in the 31st century Periphery, particularly in the parts where the RWR used to be.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 15, 2023

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Rorahusky posted:

You'd think that, but not quite. Remember, after he conquered the Star League, the first thing he tried to get Kerensky to do was continue his assault on the Periphery and bring it in line. They might not like the Star League at all, but a treasonous gently caress who used them to tie up the SDLF and then took over and told the SLDF to crush them? The way they see it, he got what he deserved when he went native and became just another Inner Sphere despot who thinks he can bludgeon the Periphery into submission.

At the time it happened, and a few generations after, sure. But I can easily see a revisionist narrative emerging that glosses over such an inconvenient fact.

EDIT: Actually, how did the Periphery know about Stefan's betrayal? I assume Kerensky recorded the conversation, but it would be funnier if Amaris pressed "Reply All" on accident.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 15, 2023

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've been having fun with BTA 3062 in spite of the jankiness. I once had a mech get obliterated on deployment because the game couldn't figure out how to space the drop pods. I laughed my rear end off for a good minute.

(the one thing I won't touch are duel missions, it may be my bad luck but I swear they're cursed.)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Had my first bad crash with BTA 3062 last night: right as the mission completed.

Frustrating, but I'll shrug it off. The mission wasn't too painful. I think I'm more upset at the prior mission where 3 parts of a Dragon Fire dropped and I only had 2 free picks.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've played enough BTA 3062 to notice that the mission type and opponent affects the composition of the OpFor (relative tonnage and # of units and ratio of Bmechs/Industrials/Vehicles), but right now it's just a vague sense. Is there a guide to help me pick when to fish for salvage versus taking as many C-Bills as I can?

EDIT: Also, got through my first duel, so thx for the advice.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 22, 2023

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

BTA 3062 Update: Thanks to a Clash of the Titans mission, I blew past the 'breaking into Heavies' goal. I am now the proud owner of an Atlas. :toot:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

BTA3062: How exactly do you get nuke ammo for ArrowIVs?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Started a new BTA career. I went with the "content creators + George Ledoux" starting bonus.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Captain Foo posted:

Sounds hilarious

My only quibble thus far is that Tex sounds like he recorded his lines at a lower volume than everyone else.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I just used a Nuke for the first time in BTA.

I don't know what I was expecting, but I'm somehow not surprised by what transpired.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Also, executives are generally morons who would sooner burn money trying to chase whatever trend-of-the-day genre is getting all the attention than capturing underserved markets.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

PhotoKirk posted:

I recommend enabling custom drop locations in BTA.

It gets old when you are constantly dropped with your back to a star of Clan heavies.

:stare: sounds like this should be a default option

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

PhotoKirk posted:

I recommend enabling custom drop locations in BTA.

It gets old when you are constantly dropped with your back to a star of Clan heavies.

Okay, I'm looking all over the settings and can't find this. Do I need to set this out of game?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

PhotoKirk posted:

I just had a duo assault mech duel drop a Colossal Turtle as one of the duelists.

drat right I reloaded the game.

Did you at least try to bring it down?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

PhotoKirk posted:

I tried.

It one-shotted my Atlas-JJ, it took a couple turns to kill my King Crab-BD. I could barely scratch it, even with rotary gauss rifles.

You probably need lights to shoot it in the back and not get hit to bring something like that down.

Given the sheer variety of mechs in BTA (or even the base game), it would be nice if there was a way to scout the OpFor. I aim for generalist composition, but if I knew I was going up against something that I had a counter for I would change up what I was dropping with more often.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

BTA Got into a solo duel with a drunk Clanner. Its a lunar environment and they're in an Atlas IIC. On their first Salvo, before I can get a shot off, they blow half their mech up from overheating. Still debating if this is an AI issue or working as intended.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

M_Gargantua posted:

Depends, was that enough juice to core you if it landed?

Not sure, tbh. I was in a King Crab 005. If they'd all hit on my torso it probably would have hosed me up just as bad, but none of his big guns connected.

edit: even after he blew half of himself up, the remaining half was still pretty drat sturdy. Took 3 more turns to get him to stay down.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 12, 2024

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

One oddity with BTA is there is no weighing of individual mech rarity. Sometimes this results in an OG Prototype Mackie getting deployed by pirates. And at the other end you have my last mission, 3 of the 10 enemy mechs were loving Stone Rhinos.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

ro5s posted:

Punching a mech’s head off then lasering the wreck into slag sends a message :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Eschatos posted:

Hah, this afternoon had a particularly absurd example:

It has jump jets, what are you whining about? :colbert:

Worse drop was in a city environment, where one of my mechs got instantly gibbed by another incoming drop pod. I think that has been coded out, at least.