Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Unless the game requires you to sign in, you can just copy the game's whole directory and run the executable directly from that directory, regardless of your steam status.

It's gonna call home after every game for you to drop feedback so I suppose there will be servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This is a lot of panicking over 'they aren't confident they can get the networking good to go right now'.

That's engine work, the campaign is 2nd layer stuff, work-schedule wise they shouldn't be too interdependent. There's no reason to believe more than a few months of delay based on unexpected engine work.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Psion posted:

it's okay to just not reply to a post you don't think is directed at you, y'know. I read your post and did not assume Alechnar's applied to it. You do not have to defend yourself on all points. Take that 0.02 for what it's worth,but I think this post I quoted did more harm than just letting it go.

It's a little more of a nuanced issue than that, I think. There's also people who know development, think they know development, or don't care about development. All of those can shade responses. Personally, I'm not surprised they're running into problems, but I'd argue what matters is how they handle the problems. So far, I'm content. But then nuance has no place on the internet. you're 200% completely wrong, Urbanmechs at 10 hexes, tomorrow at 2d6 minutes past dawn!

Yeah I was just generally commenting on how the thread had turned into people trying to out-bid each other on how long they thought the game would slip.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/JennRavenna/status/868621377732976641/photo/1

How tall are these mechs?

e: ps. not meaning to be 'that guy', think the picture looks awesome.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If you know in the mechbay how much heat you'll gain and dissipate every turn then there's no reason to hide that on the tactical screen.

'If the player could have this info by getting a pad of paper and a pen etc etc'.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's not Ghost Heat and it's not an inconsistency, it's just not showing you what it's actually doing.

It's working like tabletop: it's cooling that first [# heatsinks] weapon heat instantly and then adding any excess to the bar, rather than adding the heat to the bar and then cooling you off after the fact. Take a BattleMaster and fire just one medium laser and the heat won't even show up. I've absolutely cooled down while firing a limited number of weapons.

The real problem is that PPCs are a lovely test weapon since their heat is incredibly high for their damage and short-range uselessness.

Oh that's smart and good.

I did a test game and I'm still adjusting from not really understanding TT Battletech to not really understanding HBS Battletech.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Also piling in on the 'game should not tell me my hit chance is 100% when actually it is 50%' bandwagon.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

It's in the manual. Some of the pilot attribute values also don't do everything they're supposed to, like piloting making it harder to unbalance you.

Ok so I think the beta might benefit from the main menu having a big text box with 'this works, this doesn't, in this version we'd like feedback on x'.

Theorycrafting on stability is pointless if one of the main balance mechanics isn't in place yet. I presume pilot injuries will degrade skill in battle as an attrition mechanic.

FAKE edit: heh, 'balance mechanic

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

All this 'I'm not losing enough mechs' chat actually raises an important point for the campaign: what amount of attrition does everyone think the player should be experiencing on the average mission?

Because I'm coming from an XCOM perspective where the metric is 'if the player does everything right, a bad roll might lose you a guy but really you should expect to clown the AI by making the right choices'. Obviously Battletech is a game based around managing damage attrition rather than avoiding damage entirely, but isn't the ideal outcome of a game well played one where all your mechs have taken some damage but are still standing?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

So XCOM and Battletech are at diametric opposite ends of 'how does a turn based tactical game work'. I raised the comparison because XCOM has a fairly well developed sense of how much 'risk' the player is subjected to every battle. You might suffer no injuries at all in a fight, or you might lose two people to insanely unlucky crits. But it all averages out so that a good player can reasonably expect to progress through the campaign and not hit a fail-state.

That's relevant because Battletech needs to find that same balance, which is harder because it's based around the player suffering a certain amount of damage across all their mechs each battle and yet still coming out ahead.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's as if Firaxis, having a pile of cash, the finest minds in the turn-based strategy world, and several years to think about it, came up with a game that set gold standards in how you present information to the player and make interesting choices.

Here's the obvious counter-argument to why Battletech is not XCOM - the turn phase system is completely novel and makes the entire flow of the game fundamentally conceptually different to what XCOM is about.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Raged posted:

Atlas with evasive is just comical. It's insane how much damage that walking mountain can dodge.

Yeah I think this might be one of those 'pairing an assault with a pilot with skills intended to keep a light mech alive leads to unintended consequences' things.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kanos posted:

It seems to me that an easy way to solve the "too many headcappers" problem and "are my pilots going to die like flies" problem is to substantially increase the relative armor of the head. Head hits would still be debilitating due to incurred pilot damage and taking multiple would still kill you, but it would reduce the incidence of an Urbanmech blowing your head off from the fog.

Battletech heresy but - remove heads as a distinct location. All other armour values need to be adjusted for balance reasons, but just have head hits be a controllable outcome of certain kinds of CT crits with the result being a pilot injury/unconsciousness/death depending on how bad it is.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

An actual DFA combat animation would be nice.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It seems to me that 'unsteady' should be less of a 'warning - you can be knocked over!' state and more of a debuff in itself that reduces accuracy and has the additional risk of terrible critical falling over.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

sebmojo posted:

A good Vice article.

It's almost magical how bad the MWO people are at publicity, HBS are literally using every single robot model they've made but the F2P game (which is solid, if disappointing) never gets mentioned.

On point:

quote:

"The 90s were certainly the peak days of the franchise," creator Jordan Weisman admitted, when we spoke at ParadoxCon in Stockholm last month. Then he paused and said, with a poo poo-eating, used-car salesman smile, "Until starting later this year!" Then he cringed, shrugged, and said with a sheepish smile, "Sorry, but I think I have to say that, right?"

Not even going to attempt to claim that MWO has done anything positive for the franchise.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's not just a good visual design, it also has the virtue of being consistent. Something that Battletech was sorely lacking given the plagiarism wide variety of sources from which designs were taken.

I think there was a missed opportunity to rework the Clan mech to stop being extremely similar variations of two blocky designs but I can see how they were a bit too iconic at that point.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zaodai posted:

I doubt it. A lot of the design goal was explicitly "you won't just run assaults!", so them being moneysink garbage heaps fits with that. They lose initiative, they don't get evasion bonuses, they're monstrously slow and take up a ton of (limited) funds you could just put into getting better mediums. I mean, from a lore standpoint, especially in this time period, it makes sense. Doubly so when you only have one lance to field. Especially in PVP where there's no objective to defend or anything, so there's nothing to be like "Well they HAVE to come through this Atlas if they want to get to the Monsanto Corporation HQ!".

I expect they'll make a lot more sense when there are mission types that actually involve assaulting things.

e: which is your point except I'm tired and misread your last sentence

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

The multiplayer is basically "your first missions with this mech" because you are paying full price for all of them. The Assault isn't as cost efficient when all you are looking at is it's initial purchase price, but maybe they're a lot better when you consider than once you've got that assault mech you can keep using it for much less. Plus I'm pretty sure when the fights aren't fair, having an Assault is going to be more valuable.

Oh and the new movement to-hit mechanics are great, but the evasive pilot skill is probably still too good because every pip of movement is a huge modifier and doubling it is massive.

Moving last should be less of an issue when you are storming a base lined with turrets than when you are dancing in a meeting engagement against a faster heavy force.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hot take: I don't like 'fury'.

Not the concept, just the name. This isn't Space Marine, my mechwarriors are not having a moment of superhuman effort powered by rage. 'Inspire' was fine.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Only after HBS promised no more Q&A sessions do I realise I have an actual question: is the persistent merc campaign system try to scale infinitely in difficulty, or will it let the player break free of resource constraints and start victory lapping until you stop being silly and start a new game?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

isildur posted:

i guess, since I'm writing all the remaining procedural content, there's nothing that stops me from putting stupid memes everywhere, is there? well now

"Have you encountered the mercenary gang hanging out in the bar at the edge of town? I tell you, those goons are up to something awful!"

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Want an Atlas pilot with the callsign "Ghost Dad"

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

Even when bringing up MechCommander (Which is what I was about to do!), after you grew past your first 4 much and filled out to a full roster of 12 (I think that was the max drop), you end up moving from microing 4 Mechs to microing 4 control groups of 3 Mechs each. At least I did. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and I do think you gain some fun as a player with more units under your direct command- It lets you specialize more, and being able to unleash 5 LRM Mechs at once while also barreling in with some AC20 bruisers is really satisfying.

But it's a different game that only really works in real time. With the current game I wouldn't really want more than 6 units under my command at once. Or at least not for a whole mission.

Having a segment where I get 4 demolishers for local backup, or anything that's not really my unit that I have to intensely worry about babying would work totally fine- Classic XCOM/TT battle tech takes forever when you want to and need to plan that perfect move for every one of your units, but when you can afford to just sling them around, it goes really quickly. Especially when it's the computer doing the bookkeeping!

I think there's a regiment-scale game to be made where the control unit is the lance; you give orders to the lance and then it moves about and the mechs engage enemies based on their makeup and pilots.

e: \/\/ that's not a weakness. The game works at the scale it's supposed to work at (well... for a given value of 'works'), and doesn't when you move it out of that scale. That's true of all games.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 27, 2017

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think the ironic thing is that if you built a game around a scaled up concept as I posted above, you could build in a lot of the conceits of Battletech (mechs constantly moving, lack of focused firing, suboptimal builds, etc etc) to be something the player has to manage and mitigate as an overarching commander rather than micromanage out of existence.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zaodai posted:

I... guess? It's still a significantly worse solution than "design a system that isn't poo poo at company-scale engagements". There's not really a reason that a future hypothetical game being designed for company scale work (presumably as part of a larger scope of play, not just a tiny merc outfit in a backwater) would need to stick to the tabletop system.

Yeah it just raises the question, why?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I mean this isn't a pure mercenary game. It's a plot based game with main characters and a story that's being told and there happens to be a mercenary battle generation system constructed on top of that.

You can't be pro-Directorate because there are presumably solid plot reasons for the player character to be involved with the Restoration.

e: I mean really Zaodai's thing is being wrong about everything, but literally not being able to invest in a semi-structured narrative in a video game is one of the weirder things to be upset about.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If I recall correctly the PC is an exiled noble with a specific reason to hate the Directorate (they're likely the reason you are exiled). That's also the story hook that makes you the person the Restoration go to for high-profile rear end kicking activity.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The obvious solution is to have a main menu option when you click 'new game' so that in addition to difficulty setting and ironman mode you have a checkbox 'no plot' that just turns off the story entirely and starts the game on a static map where nothing will ever change.

Not a ridiculous mid-game 'turn off content' trap button.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sky Shadowing posted:

Last I heard the plan was still for your commander to be able to select from a few different backgrounds, wasn't it? Sort of like Mass Effect and Shepard where you don't play his background but it does change some dialogue and (I recall HBS saying) give you a special mission?

This seems to be the most relevant HBS update: https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/4920

They don't explicitly reference the PC, but my furious entrail reading of "The bios and descriptions below could all be considered MILD SPOILERS - they occur after the inciting events of the game's Prologue chapter", implies that at the start of the prologue your character is not a mercenary involved in the restoration and at the end of the prologue they are a mercenary involved in the restoration.

Whether or not the prologue involves 'becoming a mercenary' is unknown, but 'inciting events' is something I'm taking as meaning that the player character is a written entity of themselves who will interact with the cast of the story, rather than a faceless avatar of the player.

ps. All guesswork and I'm not massively invested either way.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh hey, says it right there. Backstories was a funding goal.

I still suspect that moving from not having the Argo and not being involved in the restoration to the reverse probably involves giving your character some meaty hooks to care.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Goddamn you are making me really regret not backing up my beta.

edit: on the up side I am going to be absolutely chomping at the bit when the game itself lands.

This is genuinely a ballsy but genius move by HBS - so many early access games land with a damp squid because their 'release' is just a different numbered patch on the game you've been playing for month.

I only messed about a little bit with the beta but not having it is absolutely wearing on me.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I wrote what I wrote and I stand by it. :colbert:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The problem battletech has thematically is that there are two directions you can 'fluff' rare high tier equipment (either it's incredibly old lost knowledge or incredibly new cutting edge knowledge). Battletech tries to have it both ways, which is why *the mere knowledge the clans exist* limits the amount you can care about 3025 people running around after SLDF lostech. You know it's all going to be outclassed soon anyway, even if not literally in the game, so part of the immersion is lost.

The way to fix clans is to go back to the concept of the Inner Sphere being a wholly feudal decentralised realm with basically non existent but for the grace of Comstar comms and logistics. Then have the clans appear with SLDF level tech and nothing better, but with the advantage of having the military C2 and logistics to fight a galactic campaign as an army.

Basically reverse the military culture of the IS and Clans and suddenly it works a lot better.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah, if the game score system says BUT THOU MUST then why is the player even there?

I maintain the way to fix them is to have a mini-reboot whereby the Inner Sphere remain as their original concept of feudal MechWarrior knights with no logistics or centralised command and control or notion of combined arms, and have the Clans return as the SLDF-but-200-years-more-advanced, without the numbers to take on the IS but with the ability to concentrate force and use tactical acumen the IS has lost.

e: \/\/ yeah I know, but one can dream

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 27, 2018

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

HBS don't do expansions.

What they'll do is 'Game 2' which they'll be tempted to crack out in 12 months now that the technology is built. It's an open question whether they'll stick to their style of games of a certain size or scope, or whether they'll take the fact that they've got a working pseudo-random mission generator and with some Paradox guidance go down the route of a bigger game that remains live with regular content expansions the way Pdx does.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yes I'm well aware of the difference between Paradox Interactive and PDX and I made that distinction in my post, it should not need to be pointed out that PDX's game development plans are directed by the business plan that Paradox Interactive comes up with, which even then is a bit of a stretch of the truth because these are people who work closely together in the same office.

HBS will have had conversations with Paradox Interactive about their future publishing relationship (If they want one!) and Paradox Interactive's advice will have been based off their own development experience and probably off their partnership with Obsidian. HBS could continue to make games of the size they've been making, but the undertone of everything they've ever hinted about their future plans is that they want to keep doing More and Bigger and the PDX development model segways nicely into that.

That's if they can get the Battletech license to make that sort of game from Microsoft. Which is a massive IF and is probably the killer.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Thank you for posting this. Didnt they declare that there would be no date announcement at the Q&A and to not bother asking any questions about it?

Also while that's probably true, obviously you don't announce in advance when you will be making an announcement a month in advance of release, if you get my meaning.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Arty and airstrikes were rubbish in MC1 and 2. And in a turn based game they'll either be 'incoming damage you can do nothing about, gently caress you' or 'I guess everyone moves out of this circle before the next turn'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

My instinct is that deployable aoe abilities that force a 'move from here or take damage' work really well in cover based games like XCOM where they force a real dilemma, but don't really make any sense in a game like battletech where the concept is 'knights jousting' and the default is that movement is life and standing still is mostly a bad idea.