Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

In my campaign game I had one LRM stalker and one SRM stalker so naturally I named the LRM one "GET OUT OF HERE" and the SRM one "GET IN HERE". That was my mech naming story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

The M-COIL makes the assassin fit its description, otherwise it's just kind of subpar.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

The answer to tanks is (U)AC20++s. Or GRs. Or the maximum dakka UAC5++ Annihilator build. Hey, it looks like most of the answers to tanks is easily housed in an Annihilator.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

OAquinas posted:

As for who should get it--MT is a nice ability to be sure, but you really need to consider if it's worth it over Coolant Flush. Activating first is great, but doing so and not being able to shoot much because you're overheating doesn't help you.

On the other hand, if you're armour tanking you do very little damage when you have to bulwark to remove instability, which MT can help you eliminate altogether when combined with a good gyro.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

The only time I've been tempted away from near max frontal armour on a mech was to cram 4 GRs on an Annihilator.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

vyelkin posted:

SRM+++ are some of the best weapons in the game imo, 12 damage per missile adds up so quickly. A Griffin with 3 SRM6+++ is putting out up to 216 damage a turn provided you can get it into range, which is comparable to a lot of heavies and even some lighter assaults. An Archer with 4 can hit 288 damage a turn plus a ton of instability. And SRMs are so weight-efficient that you can actually fit that many onto a mech that would run into weight restrictions hitting that kind of damage with any other kind of weapon. The only real problems are the short range meaning they aren't useful every turn, and the unfocused damage meaning they're more useful against mechs that have already taken some hits. Those problems kind of deal with each other though, longer-range mechs can damage the enemies while the SRM carrier closes range, and then the SRM carrier blows up damaged components and knocks down unstable mechs. SRM mechs may not get as many deathblows as other mechs, but I find they're still a viable member of the team.

Also, one or two SRM4 or 6++ or +++ is a good way to add some extra damage to a mech with a few leftover tons.

The GRF-2N can fit 4 SRM6es and a ML (or two ERSL) with full jets and sufficient heat sinking. It makes those 55ton weight limit missions complete walkovers (if your ERSL++ Firestarter didn't already).

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Unrelated, but it's lame how the ai never goes for DFAs

I disagree. DFAs are almost never worth it for the player. For the AI, they would be, because the AI has no resource tracking between missions and always outnumber you. The optimal tactic for the AI is to spend its armour and health doing damage, which is what DFAs do; it would be all DFAs all the time. No evasion pips would ever matter, AIs would just kamikaze on your mechs until they died. Only long range player mech builds would be viable.

Even if the AI only some times did DFAs, it would feel like bullshit because it's so obviously a tactic that can only work well from the AI's perspective.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

...there's such things as SRM12s? Or do you mean a pair of SRM6s (I don't know Battletech, more of a Warhammer guy)

Also on a sidenote, I sure do miss using ballistic weapons in this game. For some reason I haven't had the opportunity to make a ballistics-heavy mech at all since everything was better suited to energy weapons and missiles, and I distinctly remember wanting to go heavy on ballistics when I first played this game 2 years ago. Not even a Centurion for the AC/20 one-shotter build :(

The arguably best 100 tonner in the game is a ballistics powerhouse, so look forward to that.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

oh wow I didn't know that, I thought you only generated too much heat from like, damage or jumping with jets.

since the game was onsale for like 10bux at GOG and the DLC pass is around 25, is that worth getting too if I'm enjoying it? Or are 1 or 2 DLCs crap? Sorry if this question is repeated often but I didn't see any DLC reviews in the OP.

There's some DLC advice in the thread title

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Organ Fiend posted:

I'd argue that the FS9 is still pointless when the Marauder and Annhilator exist.

Sure you can pump up hit def and evasion to make it nearly unhitable, and you can load it with melee mods to make it punch hard, but you'll never get a FS9 to point where it can reliably delete mechs in a single alpha like a MAD or ANH can.

I'd also say that you don't need lights or mediums for target acquisition missions. "Normal speed" (4/6 in CBT) mechs (like the MAD or CP10) with JJs, and a piloting 7+ pilot (for the 20% sprint bonus) are more than enough to hit all of beacon locations. The changes to the mission type (you don't auto-fail if you don't evac in time), mean using slow assaults for killing the garrison and taking the closer beacon locations are totally fine. Finally, you don't need them to do it, but having an ANH and/or MAD makes killing the garrison, even when its 12 mechs deep, on 5 skull missions totally doable.

IDK, my Firestarter regularly cores mechs by jumping into their rear arc and unloading all its ERSL++s to the CT. Even if it fails - like my Annihilator sometimes does against heavily armoured mechs - it gets a second try next round before jumping away to complete immunity.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Lockback posted:

If those are just mechanical rabbit jumps wouldn't, like, every move be a DfA? If you're landing full bore on the granite be the same as a mech if you have nothing to slow your descent.

Though a mech just using other mechs as a landing pad and railgunning them doesn't sound dramatically less broken

1. Physics doesn't make sense in Battletech.
2. They're land with the same force (actually slightly less) that they launch with, which the legs can demonstrably handle.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Does BTA also remove things like the called shot equipment from marauders?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

sean10mm posted:

How do you get the deck of cards logo for Dekker? :stare:

That's from his ongoing LP of the game, with Johnny Five Aces as the MC, hence the logo.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Speaking of the black market, is there any interaction between planet tags and the black market? I have been flying around looking for ERSLs, LPL++s, and the like but they just seem to almost never spawn. I haven't seen a single ERML this whole playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Ratzap posted:

Yeah I just used the links in your post which was the 7.7.7 ModTek. I've verified, downloaded the 1 failed file, ran the injector again. Loading the save is no good, it's still stuck - presumably because it's past the trigger point already. I'll play through one more time to see if it'll work.

Edit: loaded the save and used restart mission then played it through again. That worked (of course Glich got a head hit).

In general, in-mission saves work less well than star map saves in the game overall. This goes double if you have mods that add assets.