Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm so glad I installed BTX3025 before starting on Flashpoints.

It was gratifying to get to the final Kell Hounds mission and find Morgan Kell in an Archer instead of the Orion I was warned about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

binge crotching posted:

I had no idea the Blackknight BL-6b was so fun, but this thing is amazing to play with. I pulled the ER-PPC off, maxed the armor and jump jets, and then eventually ended up swapping the large pulse lasers for regular large lasers, and the thing is a monster. Tons of damage, can fire pretty much non-stop (jumping around too much requires a turn of firing just the medium lasers), and at the all heavy portion of the game it can tank like a champ. I think I added an extra medium laser as well?

I feel like with 4 of them I could reliably take on full lances of assaults, but since I've only ever seen the one of them as a flashpoint reward that might take some time ...

Royal/SLDF Black Knights are only ever available as Flashpoint rewards, as folks have checked into the code and the game only allows the Highlander among the SLDF mechs to be available in stores.

I got my only SLDF Black Knight as partial salvage from 3 Flashpoints and that was mainly because I only found out about the limitation above when I was on my very last Flashpoint and savescummed the last mission until I got the final part.

If you got a whole Black Knight as a Flashpoint reward, congrats - that might be the game equivalent of winning the lottery.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

sean10mm posted:

How do you even make the Jagermech-S worth a poo poo? Give it decent armor and jump jets and there's just room for something like 2 AC5 2 ML which feels very :geno:

Even on tabletop, Jagers weren't meant to get into slugfests - just stand upwind and deliver direct fire support.

I like the idea posted above - LLs plus 2 JJs for quick repositioning, and you end up with something that can open up holes for medium/heavy skirmishers to jump in and fill up with SRMs. Just keep it at long range as much as possible.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

And the Hunchie might be better armored too.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The current game mechanics really reward pilots with Bulwark who can stay in cover, so that should be a priority for most of your team.

Guts 1 Tactics 2 as a general purpose build, Guts 2 Piloting 1 for brawlers with multiple weapons, and Gunnery 2 Guts 1 for Mechs with big guns are the most common builds that start off with Bulwark.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I've got Urban Warfare installed, and have some mods installed as well. What's the easiest way to go back to the base game without having to delete the mods in case I want to return to them later? Do I just rename the /Mods folder or is there something else I need to run? Thanks.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

After playing the first mission of the Joint Ventures flashpoint (the one with the Hatchetman) with no sweat a few months ago in Campaign mode, I figured I'd have an easy time of it too when I ran into the same flashpoint early in Career Mode. You know the drill - spread out your Mechs along the route, wait until everyone's in place before entering the APC trigger zone, then dogpile the enemies when they spawn.

Easy-peasy, right?

Not when the OpFor reinforcements include a Raven and two Trebuchets hiding under ECM.

That combo nearly wrecked my medium-light lance until I got close enough to fire on the Raven and get a couple of lucky crits on its ECM. Even then, I ended up with a dead Vindicator pilot and another Vindie that was down to head+CT+one leg.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Bubbacub posted:

Is there some trick to the last Raven flashpoint mission? Whenever I decloak to shoot, the AI has enough LRM spam to wipe me out.

Always reserve down to 1, maintain sufficient distance from any incoming Mechs or vehicles so that they don't enter the ECM bubble during their turn.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Organ Fiend posted:

Looks like the update broke modtech again.

modtek 0.7.2 is still working, and BTX3025 works fine as long as you replace the BetterAI mod with the latest version on Github.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Organ Fiend posted:

Thanks, I'll give it a shot when I get home.

BTX3025 has also been updated on Nexus Mods, so download that first then get the BetterAI mod.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

3 55-ton brawlers plus a Centurion missile boat carried me through the middle part of my latest campaign run.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Psion posted:

and much like Battletech I remember leaning hard on long-range missiles to win :v:

that said there was a pilot ability to let them melee twice in one turn and that was fun as hell when it went off, too.

I played the gently caress out of Front Mission 3 back in the day and that game owned. Missiles and shotguns (the FM equivalent of the LBX) were the best weapons to use.

Stravag posted:

The balance gets fuuuuucked tho when you restart the campaign after beating it because you get cash value of your end of game poo poo so you end up cross linking your entire team. As soon as one person gets shot at your entire team lights up the poor bastard that fired

This is from FM4, right? The PS2 game? I dimly recall a link ability in that game.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

OddObserver posted:

Front Mission 3 was the best on account of being able to steal other people's mechs. (I think there was even a skill to punch people out of their cockpits?)

Yup, Ejectpunch. That plus a follow-up shotgun/machinegun attack on the pilot accounted for like maybe 80% of my salvaged wanzers.

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm playing through career mode and have a vindicator, centurion, firestarter, and two garbage mechs.

I've set up the vindicator as a MLaser and SRM6 brawler and the centurion as a LRM boat, as you do.

I picked up a second firestarter. What is the recommended setup? I was thinking of equipping one with max jump jets and small lasers for backstabs and the other with 4 MLasers, 5 MG, and no jump jets to just shoot people in the face.

I also have a flashpoint to get a Raven which I'm going to try. What pilot skills should a raven take? Or am I undergunned? It is listed as a 1.5 skull flashpoint.

Firestarters own and your lineup should be both of them plus the Vindy and Centurion. One could be decked out with 6 SLs and the other with 6 MGs plus ammo, then 1 or 2 MLs and max out armor and JJs with remaining weight.

If you plan on having a dedicated Raven pilot, Bulwark becomes less critical early and I would recommend increasing Piloting (to increase evasion and sprint) first. You want your Raven to be able to maintain a certain distance from the enemy because the best way to counteract ECM is to move within the bubble. Get Bulwark later if you plan to stop using the Raven.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

jng2058 posted:

Emma's story, anyway. Alisa's is kinda pants.

I would be remiss at this time if I didn't mention the awesome Let's Play of FM3 that Smasher Dynamo did. He actually managed to make the crappy Alisa storyline worth following with his depiction of the main protagonist.

SA thread here.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

So I've been running into this consistent error where I finish the first mission of the Red Hunt flashpoint where I'm doing base defense. The next mission is a battle mission with consecutive deployment and I'm getting stuck at the loading screen that features the Leopard. Tried restarting the game, restarting Steam, re-injecting via Modtek, but the issue persists.

I'v posted below what appears to be the relevant text from the output_log.txt file. Hopefully someone can interpret the error message and help me out. Thanks!

quote:

2019-07-09T22:53:18 FYLS [ERROR] System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at BattleTech.UI.CombatHUDObjectiveItem.OnClick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall.Invoke (System.Object[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCallList.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.Events.UnityEventBase.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent.Invoke () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at BattleTech.UI.HBSButton.OnPointerUp (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (IPointerUpHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[IPointerUpHandler] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventFunction`1 functor) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 : System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at BattleTech.UI.CombatHUDObjectiveItem.OnClick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall.Invoke (System.Object[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCallList.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.Events.UnityEventBase.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at BattleTech.UI.HBSButton.OnPointerUp (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (IPointerUpHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[IPointerUpHandler] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventFunction`1 functor) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
2019-07-09T22:53:19 FYLS [ERROR] System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[IPointerUpHandler] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventFunction`1 functor) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 : System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[IPointerUpHandler] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventFunction`1 functor) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
2019-07-09T22:55:42 FYLS [DEBUG] OnApplicationFocus False
2019-07-09T22:55:42 FYLS [DEBUG] Suspending Audio Engine. Still proccess? True
2019-07-09T22:58:41 FYLS [DEBUG] OnApplicationFocus True
2019-07-09T22:58:41 FYLS [DEBUG] Waking up Audio Engine.
2019-07-09T22:58:45 FYLS [DEBUG] OnApplicationFocus False
2019-07-09T22:58:45 FYLS [DEBUG] Suspending Audio Engine. Still proccess? True
2019-07-09T22:58:47 FYLS [DEBUG] OnApplicationFocus True
2019-07-09T22:58:47 FYLS [DEBUG] Waking up Audio Engine.
2019-07-09T22:58:51 FYLS [DEBUG] OnApplicationFocus False
2019-07-09T22:58:51 FYLS [DEBUG] Suspending Audio Engine. Still proccess? True
2019-07-09T23:02:17 FYLS [DEBUG] OnApplicationFocus True
2019-07-09T23:02:17 FYLS [DEBUG] Waking up Audio Engine.
2019-07-09T23:02:19 FYLS [DEBUG] OnApplicationFocus False
2019-07-09T23:02:19 FYLS [DEBUG] Suspending Audio Engine. Still proccess? True
2019-07-09T23:03:40 FYLS [DEBUG] OnApplicationFocus True
2019-07-09T23:03:40 FYLS [DEBUG] Waking up Audio Engine.
2019-07-09T23:03:44 FYLS [DEBUG] OnApplicationFocus False
2019-07-09T23:03:44 FYLS [DEBUG] Suspending Audio Engine. Still proccess? True
2019-07-09T23:05:23 FYLS [DEBUG] OnApplicationFocus True
2019-07-09T23:05:23 FYLS [DEBUG] Waking up Audio Engine.
2019-07-09T23:05:25 FYLS [DEBUG] OnApplicationFocus False
2019-07-09T23:05:25 FYLS [DEBUG] Suspending Audio Engine. Still proccess? True

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Amechwarrior posted:

What mods are you running or maybe had been running and recently removed?

In the Mods folder, there is a folder called .modtek that has a "loadorder.json" that lists everything it's loading.

I haven't removed any mods recently - last one I removed was the BetterAI mod last month but that was due to an updated version of the mod being released.

Here's the content of the loadorder.json file:

quote:

"BattletechPerformanceFix",
"BTMLColorLOSMod",
"BTRandomStartByDifficultyMenu",
"cFixes",
"CommunityBundles",
"Flashpoint_Stock_Photos",
"Flashpoint_the_Cache",
"Flashpoint_The_Raid",
"FlashpointEnabler",
"FYLS",
"Give_them_Kell",
"JK_Pilots",
"JK_SUCKos",
"JK_VariantsCampaign",
"JK_VariantsDLC",
"JK_VariantsStarLeague",
"LanceSpawnerDebugTool",
"LogoReplacement",
"MechSpin",
"NavigationComputer",
"PanicSystem",
"PilotHealthPopup",
"SkipIntro",
"SkipTravelCutscenes",
"BT_Extended_3025",
"JK_VariantsCAB",
"MechResizer",
"Z_JK_AppearanceDates",
"Z_JK_VariantsCampaign_JumpJets",
"Z_Sab_JK_RarityTables",
"Better AI",
"BT_Extended_Overrides"

I've also added screenshots of my Mods folder for your reference.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Attack/Defend missions get harder the higher the skull level is because the enemy has more armor and range the heavier their Mechs get and the more likely you'll lose a war of attrition.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Amechwarrior posted:

Is there a way you could get that cleaned output log file to me?

Sent you a PM.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

There are assault mechs with less armor in their stock configs than the T-bolt. It's a very effective brawler.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Alliances are tricky in the game, in a good way.

If you're going for max alliances, you can't pick Liao, but that also impacts your mission options since Liao controls the most available space in the game.

Allying with Liao restricts your other alliance options since they have many enemies, but you also get the most space to operate in.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Did they ever add a way to respec your guys?

If you mean within the core game, no. There's a savegame editor that allows you to adjust your pilots' skills and exp.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Is there a way to get a Raven if I didn't take the FP one or am I just out of luck for ECM stuff forever

If you want a Raven, look for low skull missions with Liao as the OpFor. A Raven will sometimes appear.
If your just want the ECM, ally with one of the Great Houses and the part may show up on the faction store.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Vasudus posted:

So my entire merry band of mechwarriors has Bulwark, because of course, and is sitting at rank 4 for everything else because I’m paralyzed with indecision. I’m thinking at least one of them gets Master Tactician, one of them gets Sensor Lock and Sure Footing, and the other two go full Guts for Coolant and then whatever.

Have at least one get multi and breaching shot for head sniping or targeting multiple enemies with LRMs in base defense missions.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Stravag posted:

God i miss that game. And every time i try to play it on a current pc i get the compatibility issues that compatability mode wont fix

Have you tried this fix?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

There are other flashpoints with lostech rewards. If you haven't cleared them out yet, you can try getting other Black Knight parts.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

So I've finished clearing out the campaign and all flashpoints including UW on BTX3025. At this point, I'm mostly just chasing down mech chassis that I don't have yet (gotta salvage 'em all!), and collecting unique Mechwarriors.

I've heard about other expanded gameplay mods like XLRP and 3062, and I was wondering which of these I should install for my next career run. Which of these mods is closer to BTX3025 and less like RogueTech? Are there any similar-type mods I should be looking at?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yoshimo posted:

I need some serious help with this game, I've restarted about 4 times. My Mechs just get shot to poo poo and even when I focus fire on anything it just takes ages to bring even a Medium down. I'm keeping as Evasive as possible or Cover if not, but I don't have a clue what I'm doing with regards to Loadouts. I understand the default stock loadouts are a joke.

edit - I know the answer is gonna be "git gud" but I'll take any tips I can get!

Assuming you're running the campaign - some quick tips:

1. Get rid of the jumpjets on the Spider and max out its armor. That'll bring its armor up to about 600 and make it more durable. Always keep its movement at max during missions though.
2. Max out money on your first few contracts since salvage is going to be kinda crappy until you start taking 2-skull missions. Use that money for payments, repairs and to buy SRM4s or SRM6s and Medium Lasers for your Shadow Hawk. Swap out the AC/5 and LRM for those Medium Lasers and SRMs and make the Shadow Hawk a close-range brawler.
3. Remove the AC/2s from the Blackjack and swap in the AC/5 taken from the Shadow Hawk. fill up the remaining tonnage with armor and a Medium Laser or 2.
4. Salvage/buy a Large Laser and an LRM-10 and replace the Vindicator's PPC and LRM-5.
5. Try to get your pilots to Guts level 5 so they can take Bulwark and its damage reduction benefits.
6. Try to look for 1-1.5 skull Assassinate missions as they can feature medium Mechs that you can salvage. Set salvage to max for those missions.
7. One your entire lance is in higher-end mediums, you should be good to go to take higher skull missions and set salvage to max every mission moving forward.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Khizan posted:

What do you need to make a decent LRMboat? Most of my attempts have been universally disappointing, to the point where it felt like I only had three real mechs in my lance.

What Mechs do you have available? You can make good LRM boats using the following Mechs:
- Medium: CN9-A Centurion with the 3 missile hardpoints
- Heavy: Catapult (I personally strip out the JJs and some MLs); either Orion model (the -K has more armor but only 2 missile hardpoints, the -V has more hardpoints but less armor)
- Assault: Stalker; HGN-733 Highlander

General rule of thumb: look for Mechs with multiple missile hardpoints and lots of available weight for the larger LRMs. These Mechs don't have to be fast either since the LRMs can be fired indirectly.

anakha fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 26, 2019

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hardcase saying "Scheisse!" is even better than the English version.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

3 Shadow Hawks and a Firestarter, or three SRM spam Kintaros and a Raven. Maximum gently caress you either way.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

sean10mm posted:

The Hunchback, Centurion and Enforcer have more usable tonnage than anything under 65 tons. For most situations the 55t mechs are actually worse unless it's a timed mission.

At least with my playstyle, my main issue with the Hunchback and Enforcer is the limited number of non-ballistic hardpoints. They've got a lot of usable tonnage but not a lot of flexibility in how to use it.

No complaints about the Centurion though. Those three missile hardpoints on the A variant are a thing of beauty.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The CDA-2A has 6 energy and 2 support hardpoints but only 6.5 usable tonnage. The -3C has more usable tonnage but inexplicably has 1 energy, 2 ballistic and 3 support hardpoints.

In-universe, the guy who designed this should have been shot.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I've never understood why some Mechs were fluffed to be 'Bug killers'. The Grasshopper is another example.

Were the bug trio of 20-tonners that ubiquitous that the Inner Sphere felt they needed specialist Mechs to take them out?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Taerkar posted:

I believe that in the early fluff they comprised a large percentage of many forces.

That brings up an interesting question. Is there any canon source that provides a typical breakdown of a Mech battalion or regiment in terms of weight class?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Off the top of my head:

Light: Firestarter
Medium: Centurion and the 55-tonners
Heavy: Grasshopper, Orion, Black Knight
Assault: Atlas, King Crab, Highlander

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I didn't want to get into specific variants to keep things simple. Just discussing Royal/SLDF versions would have made my post twice as long.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

So, anybody care to speculate on the unnamed 95-tonner?

Looking at Sarna, the vast majority of 95-tonners are post-Clan invasion, so those are all out of consideration.

Seems like the only real options are the not-quite-canon Corsair, or another brand-new design like the Bull Shark.

E: Welp, I got mixed up and thought there was still a 10th mech missing after the Bull Shark was revealed. :eng99:

anakha fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 20, 2019

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Credit to the Battletech subreddit:

That Annihilator looks pretty good.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I think I'd prefer BT adopt something similar to the pilot system implemented in MechCommander 2. Have specialist pilots with limited skill trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

When the Dragoons were first introduced to the storyline, was their Clan background already plotted out or was that decided on later when the Clan invasion storyline was being drafted?

Basically, did the writers already have their backstory and the whole Clan timeline planned in advance?

E:

Norton the First posted:

Speaking of, the depiction of other mercenary leaders in this game is so grotesquely fan-servicey, lol. Sorry, Morgan Kell, by the time I got around to you, my people had Tactics 9, and you were a goddamn drag on that whole mission. I know you're supposed to be "cool" because of books I didn't read, but you are objectively much worse at this business than my people.

If you're playing with mods, get the Kell mod. He's back in his Archer and his stats are appropriately near-godlike. He carried my rear end in that last Flashpoint mission.

anakha fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 30, 2019