Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Got my rear end kicked five times in a row. No idea what I am doing wrong. Except not stocking up on urbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

In general, ballistic weaponry seems a bit too strong when fighting against other mechs of similar value with different loadouts. Against larger forces with vehicles to soak up hits it might be a different thing though.

Then again I am also the guy that just loaded up on AC20s when playing Mercenaries.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The favorite mechs of the bunch so far are Mediums and Heavies. They don't go down in a single hit or lose limbs instantly due to lucky shots and they're powerful enough to hit back without being giant piles of glue on the battlefield. Assaults meanwhile just has you plinking away hoping to break armor at any point in the future and Lights just explode when sneezed at.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I'm having a lot of fun with it now that I sort of understand more what to do and I'm not getting my rear end handed to me every single fight. Even enjoying bringing Urbanmechs to fights, if only because AC10s are actually sort of deadly.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Psion posted:

I demand more GIFs :mad:

The camera worked right for this killcam: https://gfycat.com/RevolvingPlayfulArmedcrab

And this is just rude. Crunch goes the Commando head: https://gfycat.com/FlippantNewAmericancicada

That's what he gets for piloting a Commando.

And yeah, the beta is at proper beta levels of polish. I'd up a bit of feedback here and there and tweak the statistics of some weapons but other than that it is pretty darn solid.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Basically all of this.

JacksLibido, you seem dead set that you should be able to bull-rush lights in and have them not give a gently caress. For all the buffs lights have gotten, they should not be able to run into a lance of heavier mechs and laugh in their face. Scouting with lights works fine, but they need to stick out on the edges of the fight, where they still provide plenty of info, get their move mods and cover, and can use sensor lock normally to help the rest of the team.

Yes, if you want to run your mechs directly into brawling range and fight man mode, you don't want to bring lights. Because they are not and never have been built for that.

Nooo, don't ruin light tacklemasters, I miss them so from Mechwarrior Online :(

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I just lost a match and still had a ton of fun. How? By bringing 4 Urbanmechs and DFA'ing a force with more than 6+ point value nearly to death. It didn't seem to register the final hit that killed off the 3rd enemy mech, as I died from losing both legs on my last urbie, but the only thing standing on the enemy side was a Griffin that had spent most of the match sniping from afar. I'm pretty sure my last DFA gave the pilot of a Shadow Hawk his final wound or crushed his head, too.

I can just imagine a semi-battered Griffin trying to push through enemy ranks to reach their objective going "What the hell just happened?"

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Headcaps are super fun for both sides but sadly I never see them. Even when doing called shots they never seem to hit

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Phrosphor posted:

There are posts appearing on the official forums that the AI is much better in this version.

The game in general just feels a lot better to play. That isn't the most descriptive feedback but a lot of things just seem to click like they weren't before.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Played my first multiplayer match earlier today. Was a ton of fun, never thought I'd win, but here I am. The new balance changes are all for the best, I think.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Just ran a match with 3 lights and an assault. You'd think I'd get my butt whooped, but I won rather handily, just as I did my last match when I ran the same build. The 3 lights I brought? Firestarters. They'd jump up behind the other mechs, set them on fire and blast their back armor away to remove limbs and the heat stopped the other mechs from responding properly. Even managed a few heat shutdowns on mechs that hadn't fired that turn (though I couldn't really exploit it other than to get them to pass a turn, which I liked. It would've been too strong to just be able to shut mechs down and core them immediately).

Still got two lights stomped rather handily once I ran out of flamer fuel though. One even spent the last remnant of the match being stomped, literally, by the entire enemy lance that had knocked it down and was just mashing its face into the mud. Melee is a good counter for evasive lights that get too close.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Phrosphor posted:

Tried to fit in a game over my lunch break and ended up against another 'run away and only engage with lrms' player. It took 40 minutes before we actually engaged properly. I had to quit because I ran out of time and had to go back to work. Having him refuse to fight made me very frustrated. He was going to win the game anyway, so well done him, but it was the most boring experience.

Funnily enough LRMs on jump-capable mechs are a pretty hard counter to running a bunch of lights like I did my last few matches. I can see why it would be frustrating though and how they might require some looking-over in coming patches if they get too strong.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sort of expected. I'm fine with it so far though. I do wish they would get the game out before I get swamped with new work closer to the summer.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

That reminds me, I should snag some preorder keys for good friends who would enjoy this kind of game.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

That's why we love them.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Something about some of the campaign UI bothers me and I'm not entirely sure what it is. I'll have to give it a look later on when I am not actively participating in something else, but it feels like there's stuff you are adjusting or doing that feels out of place, unfinished or needless. However, overall it does seem to have all the stuff I want at the very least, right now. We'll see upon release.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

hooman posted:

Buy 2 more then, you'll have a full lance.

This joke deserves accolades. Too bad Liao wrote up a fake contract breach for it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Feindfeuer posted:

I just hope this does well so we'll get a vehicle-DLC down the line, so i can reinforce my lance of Urban Mechs with some Po-Tanks.

Aye. Despite mostly falling apart like tissue paper in megamek, they are tons of fun.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

UberJew posted:

I mean from watching Cohh's stuff the story answer is: they don't, and the early story is all about being in hock up to your eyeballs looking for a get rich quick scheme to escape debt

Pretty much. Not really a spoiler either, since anyone familiar with the game already knows what sort of costs you accrue owning a dropship.

Playing some mekhq now, and have managed to get three dropships. But then I also own 50 mechs and a bunch of vehicles. Contract payment being adjusted to that, along with salvaging, is the only way I am surviving or making a profit.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

Game is spending more and more time on the front page of Steam's top seller list. I don't know what HBS and Paradox's sales expectations are, but I hope they're pleased with all the positive buzz around the game.

Same here. I'm pushing it to all my buddies and hoping for good results!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's why I'm keeping Rocket Launchers in. :haw:

The most fun I've had developing custom stuff in meklab is when I made a 50 ton plane loaded with 13 Rocket Launcher 20s, and 2 15s, as well as a few AMS systems. I'm imagining it just swooping in and demolishing whatever it points at before ignobly dying to laser fire.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Scylla can't even do that!

Pictured: technically gripple bits!

Hmmm, maybe the fingers are magnetic? So you can still use them to hoist stuff, it is just mainly useful on larger metallic crates or containers.

Well, no, if that were the case, you could just rush up and clamp onto an enemy's back to win a fight, since as they move, you move. Kind of like a pair-dance off, except you're firing lasers in their back. Sort of like how the Battle Claw/Magnetic Claw for Battle armor works.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

That'd be neat. A mini-Nemesis system.

One of the best things in MechAssault 2 were the occasional OpForce banter where the Wobbies would be:

:shobon: "Don't worry, the captain will get 'em!"
:gonk: "The captain's dead!"

Remember that one pirate in Crimson Skies who you kept shooting down over several missions and he kept getting more and more mad at you, until all his banter devolved into angry shouting?

Recreating something like that would be neat.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ace Motherfucking Dixon :allears::

"And don't you bother bailing out, cause I'll pop that chute like a belt buckle! :argh:"
"Not again! NOT BLOODY AGAAAAAIIIINNN. :gonk:"*

Yep, looked up the name just now. The VA nailed it and it just worked so perfectly, building your own little story arc of him starting out somewhat threatening... And then you just dunk on him over and over.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Still works, 'Mech armor is at least partly ceramic so I imagine there's not a lot to magnetize to. Works fine for little 1-ton battle armors but not so much for a 100-ton Assault 'Mech.

Overhead Arms quirk lets it blind-fire over cover. :pseudo:

It might just be the claw-to-mech ratio, but possibly in another way: The claw is huge compared to the Battle Armor, but a mech's hands (and hence fingers) tend to be rather small in comparison. I'm imagining the myomers of the hand just being torn out from the sheer force, or fingers snapping off and ruining their function that way if they're just those little bits found on some mechs.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

Also fixing how ammo explosions work, AC2s and 5's not being awful and going by the trailer screengrabs of Double Heat Sinks, they look like a much better implementation that doesn't completely break the game in half.

In regards to your spoilered text, what exactly has been changed about them?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Maybe Poptarts or other BT gurus can answer this: As I was playing MekHQ, I decided to try playing during the 1st Succession War. Besides having to fiddle with the rules a bit and figuring out how a lot of them work, it made me realize how few details are available on the war itself, or even most of them aside from the 4th and the tail-end of the 3rd. I'm guessing there are books out there with a few more stories and general layout of the war, but all I'm finding are things like "The Kentares massacre happened" and "about this time technology started to decline." Trying to run a campaign during the era seems hard, especially since there are these little tidbits added like how during the 3rd war the neo-feudalist things we see during the later years started popping up... but at the same time it doesn't look all that different from any of the earlier eras?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

DrPop posted:

Perhaps this would help? I don't own it am not sure, but just googled it. https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-first-succession-war-pdf

Very probably so. Unfortunately at the moment I don't even have 15 bucks :(

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Your pilot pronouns can be he/she/they, being inclusive of gender non-binary folks and the dumber parts of the internet lost their poo poo over it.

Why would anyone get mad about that? It is an optional menu that most likely didn't take more than a few minutes to code, maybe a few hours to test.

They can ignore it entirely and absolutely nothing will change about their experience.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

feedmegin posted:

I mean the RIGHT 750k absolutely would be. That's maybe 100, 000 words of plain text/maths.

I'd presume it was compressed, and that it was just full of old CAD schematics.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Psion posted:

this was 1989, I'm sure the implication was plaintext

oh I agree, it's just funny reading that even in the 90s when I could probably lose 750kb of drive capacity a day and not notice for weeks. Or that this was a huge trove out of the memory core which apparently was actually someone putting a new sticker on one of those AOL subscription floppies they used to mail out to everyone. It was just a computer reference that aged poorly, despite being technically plausible. So I find it pretty funny.

CAD's been around since at least the 60s. AutoCAD since the early 80s.

I know this because I am old :(

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

If there is one thing I absolutely would change, it is the ability to skip the tutorial and starter missions when you are learning the ropes. Mostly since I already knew most of this from playing Multiplayer.

Having fun so far though.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I decided to name myself Kerensky, just to see how many angry glares I'll get in about 25 years.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I've yet to find a single Unity game that didn't have some major engine-based problem.

I'm sure the gameplay is great, but I'm tired of dealing with Unitys lovely optimization, endless bugs, problems with gysnc/freesync/etc, and general fragility always on the edge of crashing.

As someone who has worked with Unity, it is indeed an issue with almost every game made with it. Optimization is certainly possible, but the big issue is on the engine developer's side.

That said, it has gotten better in recent years. When it doesn't decide to stop working after particular updates.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Hunchback continuing to make everyone very scared. I spent the larger part of a mission firing at one, and even with the help of tons of turrets I was just lucky he didn't core one of my mechs because I kept jumping around for evasion.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Had my first extremely tough mission, probably because I was aiming for a bunch of extra objectives. And my mechs are too heavy on energy weapons on a desert planet.

Which I love.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Multi-shot is good for removing multiple evasion on stuff, if you have a bunch of lighter weapons that won't overheat you.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Because I was watching a few Battletech videos, Youtube suggested I watch Arch Warhammer, aka the Alt-Right guy that can't help but throw racial slurs around when talking about various warhammer races.

I clicked it for a very specific reason: I wanted to know what was in the comments.

The whining is real. They are so massively angry, and dunking on them is too easy.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well, you asked for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Good lord it is hilarious that people are angry about there not being enough "white people" in a far-future space mech battle game.

"This "Bible" book sucks, there aren't any Scandinavians in it at all"

There are so many more angry posts. So many.

I'd post more but then the thread would miss out on discussing an actually good game.