Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Taerkar posted:

There are many places on Earth where people only have one name.

Obligatory:

quote:

as a public service, I’m going to list assumptions your systems probably make about names. All of these assumptions are wrong.
http://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/

Adbot
    ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Psion posted:

I can't find that quote but I'd love to see it.

I think it was something different from Sid Meier which relates to what Wiz is always talking about :

Sid Meier posted:

There is a basic dichotomy in games: When you reward players for winning a war and give them 100 gold pieces, the player never really questions rewards. If something bad happens, if there is a setback to the player, the react much differently. They complain the game is broken, the AI is cheating, or something in the game is wrong. You have to be careful with setbacks. It’s important to explain why these things happen, and how to avoid these things in the future. If gamers believe the game is cheating, of you haven’t explained something well, the will leave.
    https://venturebeat.com/2010/03/12/quotes-from-sid-meiers-keynote-gdc-speech/

But the Civ AI developer Soren Johnson has a lot along that topic.

Soren Johnson posted:

under symmetrical conditions, artificial intelligence often needs to cheat just to be able to compete with the player. Accordingly, designers must learn what cheats feel fair to a player and what cheats do not. As the Puzzle Quest team knows, games need to avoid situations in which players even suspect that the game is cheating on them.

Cheating is not the same thing as difficulty levels – by which the players are asking the game to provide extra challenges for them. Cheating is whether a game is treating the player “fairly” – rewarding them for successful play and not arbitrarily punishing them just to maintain the challenge. Unfortunately, in practice, the distinction between difficulty levels and cheating is not so clear.
    http://www.designer-notes.com/?p=132
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7AWHT7j3V4

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

Just getting into this slowly. I assume that I'm not going to be able to pay back my debt, mechanically (and therefore not be allowed to leave the starting area) until I advance the plot?

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

Is there a setting to keep the music playing while alt-tabbed out? I'm playing windowed and browsing the forums during loading and cinematics, and losing the music is a bit jarring.

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Shouldn't think so. Both those tweaks were from reddit, so google the text and you'll probably find some q&a around them.

The OP is wrong - the text should be 00000001 for the registry key.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Battletechgame/comments/8f8wb4/psa_enable_debug_would_with_registry_key_always/

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

Xae posted:

Speaking of which, how the hell to you fit a Black Knight?

Badly. I gave up on the large lasers and redesigned mine as a close combat mech that gets one good salvo on the way in.

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

So...the game worked before 1.0.1 and now it doesn't work at all. 0/10 would headshot Dekker again.

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

ulmont posted:

So...the game worked before 1.0.1 and now it doesn't work at all. 0/10 would headshot Dekker again.

...followup: "have you tried rebooting?" (to be clear, rebooting worked)

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

pangstrom posted:

Multishot is useful rarely, and yeah it's also a great way to kill zero things instead of one thing. Sometiems when it is useful it means I screwed up positioning in previous turns and didn't focus fire enough.

Multishot also depends on mech load outs. If you haven't been able to refit all of your mechs to a single range (say, stock shadow hawks), you can at least dump your LRM on a different target while charging in for melee.

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

tactlessbastard posted:

every single other available mission is also a three star and three stars have been kicking my rear end and there's no where else for me to go take easier missions and grind out some better equipment.

Have you tried Detroit? You may have to pay to go there through the navigation screen, but that area (back to the starting 3-4 systems) will consistently have the easiest missions around.

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

Fellblade posted:

So uh, I can't run the game any more since the update. Verified etc already and no dice. GG.

e; update graphics drivers with new ones from today and restart steam fixed.

I had the same problem until a reboot - graphics driver problems, yeah.

Ragingsheep posted:

Anyone else need to put jump jets on all their mechs?

Yes, but mostly just to give a slight bit of mobility if I have to go over a mountain or river or some other bullshit (like spawning on a hill, that was great).

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

This is probably a dumb question but how do I get Steam to sync the local saves to the cloud instead of the other way around? I keep deleting the old saves locally to help with load times and Steam keeps putting them back. I'd rather leave the cloud sync on though.

I read that if you start the game up and then delete the saves it will stick but I haven't tried it.

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Anybody have a handle on how the morale system works? I've been dropping multi-100K's of C-Bills on generous pay scales and Argo habitat upgrades and it doesn't seem to do poo poo. But maybe that's balanced out by the crew throwing temper tantrums everytime I toss Yang's goddamn poison meat, who can say?

As best as I can tell, all of the back and forth pay scales and events changes your base morale that you have when you start a mission. This is not all that important, I think, because (on the one hand) damaging and destroying enemy mechs boosts morale tremendously by comparison to the base modifiers and (on the other hand) the morale abilities burn morale 25 points at a shot.

e;f,b.

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

Is there any way to view contracts in other systems without going there first? I'd like to do a bunch of assassinations or traps to fill out my heavy collection.

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

Nion posted:

Every time I build a mech I seem to end up with either all LRMs and no armor, or all Medium Lasers and SRMs. Perhaps an occasional AC20. Building anything with a preferred range in between those two just doesn't feel viable with the current numbers.

I've been adopting an AC20 and then melee approach for everything other than my black knight...the black knight is all medium and small lasers (it out discos the hunchback).

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

In this game, the Victor, Zeus, and Battlemaster all have the same free tonnage as the Onion and Black Knight so all you're getting on them is a bit more armor and fewer guns (because more weight spent on armor)

...and actual slots that can be used for non-energy weapons in the comparison to the Black Knight...

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

feedmegin posted:

I mean, I'm a relatively well travelled guy and I've never seen a straight up modern MBT just out there in the wild. Old stuff in museums, sure.

I dunno about "just out there in the wild", but I used to drive by about 10-20 of them parked on the side of the road in Fort Benning every couple of months.

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

As long as you leave 6 ammo crates remaining you'll still get a decent chunk of money. You start with what, 9? Blow three of them up.

It's 8, so you can only blow up 2, but you totally should.

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I might just start doing that. If you're overly enthusiastic with knocking out the pilots you end up coring them anyway.

I've said "gently caress it" and preferentially core with called CT shots now. Keeps all the weapons and you're usually limited to X pieces of mech salvage plus junk anyway.

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

Sky Shadowing posted:

Didn't see a post but a new beta patch went out today that among other things fixes the external High/Low Spirits bug.

Aww.

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

What are the tonnage breakpoints for being allowed to use different size JJs? I thought it was purely by Mech weight tier but some posters have said stuff about Mechs lower in their weight tier being permitted smaller JJs.

I think the "assault" jump jets are actually for 90 tons and up, which lets the battle master use "heavy" jump jets. Heavies I think all use heavy jump jets.

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

Two QOL items I would like:

1. Some way to indicate in the barracks which mechwarriors have enough experience that they can actually buy a skill.

2. Sorting +++, ++, and + salvage to the top between mechs and the rest of the garbage.

And a question - what the hell does the gyro "+2 melee hit" actually do in game terms?

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

Arrath posted:

1) I just wait until I get the popup informing me that Mechwarriors are ready to be trained (I think it triggers at 10k banked xp)

Yeah, but I have 8 mechwarriors, so usually when the popup comes around only a few of them can actually be leveled up; it would be nice to know who.

DrPop posted:

I believe that grants your mech a +10% chance to hit enemies in melee, with each +1 representing 5%.

Similarly, the gyros that grant "+ hit defense" make you 5% harder to hit per point.

Ahh, ok.

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

Arrath posted:

So the abilities folder includes entries for a few intriguing things including off-map arty strikes and air strikes. Do these ever come up, or were they shelved at some point during development?

off-map arty strikes happen by event in one of the plot missions, but that's the only time I've seen them so far.

winterwerefox posted:

Cut because they were not fun to go against, as well as for time. They couldnt figure out a version where it wasnt just "move from this area, incoming bad things" as a game play mechanic.

This is exactly how it worked in that plot mission.

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

The odd thing here is that when you have 3/3 parts you get the stock loadout for free, don't you? So if you salvage a mech by blowing both torsos then knocking it over until the pilot turns to mush you've generated most of the guns out of thin air.

Gameplay concession - they tried it the other way and it wasn't as much fun.

Oh right another QOL I want: one button to "refit mech to where I had it before the arms were blown off."

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

Squiggle posted:

A genuinely stupid but also probably helpful suggestion for the chugging: Delete almost all of your saved games.

Or just move them to another directory if you still want the option to roll back.

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

And...there it was, the fabled Dropship bug. I had accepted the loss of my Gauss Rifle, but the loss of 2 mechs to boot and 2 of my mechwarriors in medbay for 55 days? gently caress that.

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The Atlas is ideally going to be my headshotter if I ever find some AC-10+, the Highlander and JM6-A provide long-range fire support and general knock-down fuckery, and the Orion is there to core things that need killing quick.

That Highlander is destined to have its right arm blown off on the next story mission, just FYI.

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's why you strip the Gauss Rifle out of it, throw 3 PPCs in the chest, and turn it into a bigger tougher jumping Awesome.

There's no way you can ever soak that heat, though? I was setting mine up as something like dual AC5+++.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Good to know. LRMs it is!

It's not guaranteed, but, you know, :xcom:

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

You absolutely can, I used one double heat sink, maxed the front armor, and the rest of the weight are jump jets and singles. On cold maps you can fire 3 PPCs indefinitely and on hot maps you actually cool down while firing only two PPCs.

You can't quite get the Awesome's 3-3-2-3-3-2 tabletop firing pattern out of it, but it's still pretty good.

brb re-refitting my Highlander.

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

Klyith posted:

Bunch of technical stuff, and they've finally fixed the the High & Low Spirits bug. Say goodbye to your endless called shots.

Looks like they just promoted the 1.0.3 public beta to live.

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Is this a real thing or are you just making a :xcom: comment?

The latter.

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's not a real thing.

Totally happened to me though.

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Next playthrough: No 3/5 mechs.

What does "3/5" mean here - there's some context I'm clearly missing from another version of Battletech?

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

Taear posted:

I keep thinking knocking over a mech is crowd control/hitting them with Juggernaut is crowd control.
    But by the time you're at the end it's totally meaningless because they appear to have infinite HP pilots and they just get up in the same phase they would have done anyway.

Guts 7 gets you to 5 total health which is a bitch to get through.

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Always take jump jets so you don't end up on a mountain you can't leave and lose by default

Not emptyquoting.

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

Darius recommends to bring fast mechs to that mission (possibly even mentions jump jets).

I ignored Darius and brought only heavies and assaults. But they all had jump jets which was good enough. Didn't realize the turrets were connected though or I could have been a lot faster.

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

Also see if there are updated drivers - I had that problem with my nvidia until I got a new update.

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

Section Z posted:

I've been culling them via the folder every so often since that's faster than slowly clicking through the saves menu when it's starting to get iffy.

Saves are in one of those crazy locations for this game. Should look something like

Steam Directory Here\userdata\40542380\637090\remote\C0

The 637090 seems to be the consistent number, if I recall right.

Also be sure to have the game running when you do this if you're using cloud saves, or they will just be reloaded.

Adbot
    ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
    Sep 15, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

Got my first assault mech.

Had my gauss rifle blown off the very next mission. Le sigh

Same.