Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Early observations:

Positioning is super important. Whether thats making sure your Centurion's shield arm is the side facing the enemy, or getting a flank on a weak side, it makes a huge goddamn difference. ROTATE YOUR drat MECHS CORRECTLY WHEN YOU DO YOUR FIRING ARCS.

Cover bonuses / sprinting / etc stack up too drat high and Sensor Lock feels bad to me. I find it boring to essentially never use my light mech, and just turning them into Sensor Bitch. If you lose your sensor bitch early to a lucky shot, you're in for a world of trouble because you either won't be hitting, or will constantly be hitting for half damage.

E: Also, Hunchbacks are the loving terrors they should be. Nice to see one of my favorite mechs return to glory.

Myrmidongs fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Kinda wish the game would let you move to where you choose and still melee. Sometimes melee is the best combat choice, but shittiest movement choice.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Battle report: 4 Hunchback 4P will wreck the poo poo out of everything in front of them.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

One of my problems with the indicator is that I can't actually figure out how to "target lock" something and move. I want to see what my percentages are as I hover across different movement dots to see where I have my best shot. I know this is a thing, but I have no goddamn clue how to do it. It seems overly difficult to activate.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Gonna follow up on my early impressions-

Senor Lock still feels bad to me. Evasiveness is too strong, and my light mech is pretty much always still Sensor Bitch. Mathematically, in most situations it makes little sense to fire what paltry firepower my lights have, versus using Sensor Lock and boosting the damage of the entire rest of my lance against a target. Honestly, even if I only use a single unit to attack the Sensor Locked mech, I am still usually coming out on top doing that versus using the light mechs weapons. Evasiveness feels like it needs nerfed, but Sensor Lock also needs a couple tweaks. The range on it is stupidly huge. It should probably have a one turn cooldown.

Unsteady should probably carry some sort of penalty. If there is one, I haven't noticed it. Until a mech goes full prone, as far as I can tell, there is literally no difference if a mech is at 10% stability or 90%. Feels bad to work hard to knockdown a mech, not get the knockdown, and get no benefit from all that stability damage.

Like my earlier post, "target lock" needs to be a thing. I swear to god I've seen it happen, but I have no idea how. Clicking move, then a dot, then hovering to see shot percent, hitting escape, clicking another dot to see shot percent, etc, sucks. Not to mention the current way it is setup invites misclicks.

PPCs are shite.

Melee needs to be selectable as part of an attack action. No game, I don't want to punch that guy in the front where he has full armor, I want to move behind him where he is already down to structure and murder him. I understand simplifying punch vs kick, but not giving players a choice in positioning during melee feels bad.

Melee again. The game frequently makes lovely choices for punching / kicking. I've gone to melee a mech missing one leg, with the other on its last structure, and it decides to punch them.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

There is no difference between punch and kick. It's just visual fluff. Melee is melee. It uses whichever animation the game thinks will look best in that situation.

I hope not, having different hit tables for punch vs kick should have made it in :(

quote:

Also, I frankly can't understand your light mech/sensor lock point. Evasiveness is too strong, which is hard-countered by sensor lock, which is also too strong? What?

And I think you're looking far too rigidly at light mechs shooting vs scouting. What your light mechs do in a fight depends entirely on what forces are involved and what the situation is. If your opponent is doing a lot of evasive moves, of course your light mech will spend most of time doing sensor locks. That's the point. If you've got an LRM lance, of course your scout is going to scout most of the time. If most of the enemy is Assault mechs, of course your light will be focused on just surviving. But the moment your opponent stops putting evasive on his unit, your light mechs will start firing guns. It's entirely situational.

If you take a mech and sprint it somewhere, you're probably counting on that sprint. To me, it doesn't feel good to be able to have someone else hiding behind a mountain that doesn't even have LOS, halfway across the map, not even with a firing arc pointed in the right direction, to be able to hard-counter with literally no drawback other than it doesn't get to shoot that turn. Sensor Lock is too good.

I mean I get that they seem like opposing ideas, but I don't feel like both Sensor Lock being crazy strong and Evasiveness being crazy strong is good for the game. It feels like it is introducing a form of Rocket Tag.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Eh, I can see why they abstracted this. Part of me agrees that you should be able to choose punch vs. kick, but then both of those do different amounts of damage (which means more listings in the UI for what your weapons do) and it's an extra click to make that decision when closing to melee.

One thing that kind of annoys me is that move is automatically selected at the beginning of a turn. I can't count the number of times I"ve had a mech I wanted to stand off and alpha into some bastard run up and punch him instead.

I would be totally fine with punch and kick doing the same damage, but rather just giving a higher chance to hit torso for a punch, and hit legs for a kick. And honestly, I think that could still be automated. Just do a quick check of what has a better chance of killing.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

John Charity Spring posted:

I have a really minor UI suggestion: when setting up battles, it would be nice if the MAP and MOOD dropdowns were swapped around. Currently mood is at the top but because mood is map-dependent it therefore resets if you pick a mood then pick a map.

Of course it's possible this is all placeholder anyway, but this particular arrangement seems the wrong way around to me.

I want a text-box search to find mechs.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Can we please stop talking about Xcom and talk about how awesome Syndicate was

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Skoll posted:

She's going to tell us to buy some Mech Crates for a chance at a High Rarity mech!

It isn't happening. They weren't in Xcom 2 and we all know this is just a remake of that.

Wait.... I've never played Xcom 2... there weren't crates... right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

So after the novelty has somewhat worn off, here's where I'm at now:

Not enough contracts are available at a given time, and I can't figure out how to make new ones appear.

I'm not sure I want to see a single mission over 2 skulls, because right now those involve LRM carriers vomiting missiles into me, PILOT INJURY, PILOT INJURY, PILOT INJURY, and then if I even dare get close to them, their SRM carrier friend just vomits MORE loving missiles into me and if I'm not dead to pilot injury, I'm now knocked down with half my mech missing. This isn't a difficulty curve, it's a goddamn wall.