Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
New thread is a great idea, I'm gonna bring over my Cliffnotes History for the 1st Page.

BATTLETECH HISTORY
A Cliff Notes
by
Sky Shadowing

• Kearny and Fuchida, two Earth scientists, posit a way to travel FTL. They are ridiculed and demeaned for 'bad science' and thrown out of their professions.
  • GUESS WHAT? They were RIGHHTTTTT!
  • For a few hundred years the Terran Alliance colonizes a circle, centered around Earth (renamed like every scifi thing ever as 'Terra'), roughly 500- 600 radius (I think, the sources are inconsistent about 'radius' and 'diameter'). This is called the 'Inner Sphere', and is surrounded by the 'Periphery'.
  • Periphery and other realms get uppity. The Terran Alliance tries to win the fight. They lose, badly.
  • Those DIRTY STINKING LIBERALS take control of the Alliance Parliament from the Expansionists and grant independence to all planets beyond 30 lightyears from Earth... whether they like it or not.
  • After 70 years Earth's situation is still hosed, so it's overthrown and replaced by the Terran Hegemony by James McKenna, later ruled by the Cameron dynasty.
  • 5 significant nations coalesce from the independent colonies. Each is ruled and dominated by a single family, a Great House:
  • The Draconis Combine of House Kurita, inspired by Feudal/Imperial Japan. HONORABURU SAMURAI
  • The Federated Suns of House Davion, inspired by Western Europe and America to certain authors.
  • The Capellan Confederation of House Liao, inspired by China. Defining family trait: lunatics
  • Free Worlds League of House Marik, inspired by Byzantine Empire. Would be a powerhouse if not constantly at war with itself.
  • Lyran Commonwealth of House Steiner, inspired by Victorianera German states. Firm believer in 'sledgehammer'.
  • All 5 are still weak compared to the Hegemony.
  • Neo-Feudalism becomes the dominant system of government.
  • There are also a few minor states on the Periphery, the only one you need to know being the Rim Worlds Republic of House Amaris
  • Relevant to this game are the Taurian Concordat and the Magistracy of Canopus.
  • Age of War: everyone fights everyone.
  • Ares Conventions: poo poo hits the fan so everyone decides to develop rules of warfare to make war clean and safe. It backfires: all it does is make war acceptable, and people ignore it to their content, usually by stating they are ignoring it.
  • Eventually the Hegemony develops BattleMechs, which are piloted by MechWarriors, which everyone agrees are super rad and awesome and steals the tech, or buys them from people who stole it.
  • The Camerons convince all the other 5 Great Houses into joining up with the Star League, a sort of super UN with its own defense forces.
  • They invite the 4 major Periphery states to join. All politely decline. The Star League military (the Star League Defense Forces) informs them that the invitation was... not optional. (i.e. they invade and force them to join the Star League)
  • Things are kickin rad and great for everyone (at least compared to what comes later). Tech is booming, economies are great.
  • The Star League develops the HyperPulse Generator, which allows interstellar communication.
  • Simon Cameron dies. His 8 year old son Richard is named First Lord of the Star League. His regent is General Alexandr Kerensky of the SLDF.
  • Stefan Amaris of the Rim Worlds Republic manipulates Richard against everyone, making Richard believe Stefan is his only friend.
  • Periphery rebellions promptly keep Kerensky occupied and his forces occupied. Amaris convinces Richard to replace the departing SLDF forces with RWR troops. You can totally trust him.
  • Amaris promptly goes full Cersei Lannister and murders the entire Cameron dynasty, including Richard, and names himself Emperor.
  • The Great Houses are peeved but not enough to do anything about it.
  • Kerensky does something about it, declares himself 'Protector of the Star League', and uses his army to destroy Amaris's forces and executes Amaris.
  • The Five Great Houses meet. They strip Kerensky of his power, appoint Jerome Blake Star League Minister of Communications, and fail to decide the next First Lord. They dissolve the Star League.
  • Kerensky tells his forces "I'm out, wanna come with?" 80% go with. They head Coreward (North) and vanish, NEVER EVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN. FOR REALZ. He sends a last message pleading for the Inner Sphere to not bomb themselves into oblivion.
  • The Great Houses start bombing themselves to oblivion. Every one of them says 'hey, I know we disbanded the Star League, but I'm First Lord now.'
  • The Periphery are salty about that whole "invaded and forcibly joined to the Star League thing" (except for the RWR which was destroyed and mostly annexed by the Lyrans), especially since the Star League forcibly made the Periphery dependent on the League with luxuries like 'water' and 'food' and 'terraforming technology'.
  • Jerome Blake sees what's coming and uses some of the remaining SLDF forces to seize Terra. He informs the Great Houses that all Ministry of Communication(ComStar) facilities are strictly neutral. And if you gently caress with them they'll stop sending any of your mail. Zero interstellar communications is... a very bad thing.
  • First Succession War. 35 years of war. Borders change. Lots of people die because, as stated, TOTAL WAR.
  • ComStar adopts a religious aspect and CERTAINLY doesn't become EVIL, hoarding all advanced technology that has been 'lost' to the Successor States (the 5) so ComStar can save humanity later. Certainly NOT. (They do).
  • Kentares Massacre: with the Federated Suns on the verge of falling to the Draconis Combine, the Coordinator Minoru Kurita travels to Kentares IV to oversee operations. He gets sniped and killed. His loose-cannon son arrives and orders the military to "kill them all". When they ask "what do you mean" he kills the inquiring soldier and repeats the order. 60+ million citizens brutally murdered. BACKFIRES SPECTACULARLY- completely demoralizes the DC while hardening the spirit of the FS. A big reason why the FedSuns ABSOLUTELY HATE the Dracs.
  • 9 years of peace.
  • SECOND Succession War. Lots more people die. Borders change further. TOTAL WAR. 34 years.
  • During said war House Marik fucks with ComStar (who certainly did not manipulate the FWL in any way to join in the fun of the War, no siree), who Interdict them (shut down the mail) in response. The FWL eventually meet's ComStar's demands so the interdiction can be lifted, mostly because the interdiction had made there about to no longer be a FWL.
  • 2 years of peace.
  • THIRD Succession War begins. Everyone knows that they're hosed if they keep Total War. JumpShips (the ones that travel FTL) become literally unthinkable to destroy, since people forgot how they work and only have a few automated factories that keep making them. 129 YEARS.
  • 3005 A mysterious and huge Merc outfit named Wolf's Dragoons appear and start whoring themselves out to each Successor State in turn. Their leaders are Joshua and Jaime Wolf. Joshua Wolf's lover is the Black Widow, Natasha Kerensky. They most assuredly ARE NOT a scouting force for the RETURN OF KERENSKY'S ARMY as a Warrior Society calling themselves THE CLANS.
  • 3025: Third Succession War ends. Hanse Davion of the FS and Katrina Steiner of the LC make a deal to ally and marry Katrina's daughter Melissa to a man 27 years older than her (feudalism, everyone). (Federated Commonwealth)
  • The other 3 Successor States 'ally' themselves because the FS and LC could kick their shits in. (Concord of Kapetyn)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

It's been ages since I played it, this is relevant to Mechwarrior 4, right? I liked Mechcommander too so I'd be pretty interested in this! I'm going to have a lance of lovely urbanmechs.

Also I had a battletech mech book when I was a kid and had no clue what it was or that it was a game, and didn't figure it out until after finding it again a few years ago and realizing that some of the same mechs in Mechcommander and Mechwarrior were in it and putting two and two together. :v:

Not directly. Hanse and Melissa's daughter, Katherine Steiner-Davion later changes her name to Katrina Steiner to evoke the people's feel-good nostalgia for her grandmother when she's stealing the FedCom from her brother Victor, He Who Goons Hate.

That ties into the Mercs expansion for MW4, where the player has to choose sides in the civil war between Victor and Katrina.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

No, the books are pretty clear that nobody could get a lock on Morgan Kell, and in the second duel nobody could get a lock on either of them. Plus, during the battle of Luthien it's hinted that not even the Clans are able to get a lock.

They explicitly stated "nothing supernatural" but never stated exactly what.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I'm more wondering about beta closing. But I guess that's becoming more commonplace, isn't it? I'm used to beta being "early access", meaning "the full game, just maybe buggy".

I just don't like the perk I paid $20-25 extra dollars for just vanishing. Then the only people playing BattleTech will be the pirates.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I have a feeling it will be around 1 PM EDT/10AM PDT. If not, probably later.

Obviously that's when Steam updates but I doubt it will work like that because this isn't a normal release, it's going out to about 25k people, and the keys are all off-Steam.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

According to the official forums there is a MechLab button on the main menu, sighted by the first video in the wild (it's French).

http://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/7102

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

You know, I know their goal is to sell copies, but it does piss me off a bit that even with beta, streamers get it before the people who actually paid years ago to support the game even being made.

Nothing against the streamer personally, quill is a big strategy guy so he very well could be a backer, but come on.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

There is a slot of BT Beta on backerkit now. Still says pending but progress.

E: unconfirmed reports of keys being distributed.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 1, 2017

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Got mine. Downloading!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

1-0 against the AI, but lost a Kintaro to the enemy. Catapult, Victor, Kintaro, Panther vs Awesome, Commando, Vindicator, something else I can't remember but think Orion.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Heads up, ALL the Mech files are JSON, meaning there's a chance we could be able to add variants to the game that aren't currently there, or even aren't included in the full game.

I smell possibilities! Messing around with them right now, to add some pilots.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Skoll posted:

They said from the start that they don't care how people hack up the game, just that why won't add tools to do so.

I know that, I just I guess expected things to be more... locked down for the beta.

But I can't find portraits to edit to add in custom pilots :(

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

WebDO posted:

And so the countdown to giant anime tits companions begins

Well, the models aren't JSON. Just everything about them.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Not counting this one in my victory tally, but battle results: 1 Atlas (and 3 Locusts I just moved to the edge of the map and sat there) vs 4 UrbanMechs - Decisive ATLAS Victory.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Skoll posted:

Tell me when you do, The Son of Goatse will ride again!

Think I found them, they're in a file called mwportraits (obviously enough) but I'm not sure how to open it.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

So some thoughts:

Boy, it's fun. I'm really glad I shelled out for beta... but if you're on the fence I don't know if it's worth it. That's an odd combination.

Beta's fun. It's got a few quirks. I don't know how many more missions I'm going to play, probably one or two more tonight, a few tomorrow, one or two over the weekend, and occasionally pick it up, then do some goonbrawls when multiplayer is added and play with the MechLab if that ever gets added (they said no but there's a button for it on the main menu, so :shrug:)

But the game is rather dramatically limited as a '4 Mechs vs 4 Mechs' game. There WILL be more modes for skirmish in full release (they're visible in the files), plus vehicles, and of course the full campaign (which, like XCOM, will be the heart and soul of the game- missions have no tension, so long as you win, you win. Campaign will have you worrying about maintaining them and such, and that will add a lot of tension).

In addition beta will 'die' at some point. At this point we don't know if that means only multiplayer will go offline or if the whole drat thing will be taken away (that's what I lean towards, it's 'BattleTech - Backer Beta on Steam, NOT the full product', it doesn't link back to the store page or anything). But you'd basically be paying a $20 premium to play a dramatically limited version of the game that will probably go away in a few months.

I'm happy I did, I have 0 regrets, but if you're wondering about it all you need to know is the game is fun as hell, it FEELS good, the 'Mechs really FEEL huge and heavy, and once its balanced it will be great.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

MadDogMike posted:

Got in two matches, having trouble at this point because it's kind of hard for me to work out enemy LOS and blocking fire. Lost the AC20 off my Hunchback to backshots from across the map because the hill I thought I was safely behind wasn't a hill apparently. Think once I can work out how better to play defensively I'll start doing better; right now I'm OK at banging on the enemy but they hit back harder seems like and I can't stop them ganging up because I don't read where to position well. Need more Sprinting/cover usage probably, and maybe set up a 'Mech as bait and put it in Guard stance. Also lost a pristine Jenner to a head shot, so Battletech appears to be Battletech-ing appropriately.

Were they missiles? Could have been indirect fire. Otherwise, :xcom: , but BattleTech.

E: You know what's one thing I love? A few people on the official forums are bitching about things that make it 'different from BattleTech'. And I think HBS doesn't care. I've seen too many games get taken over by the turbospergs. Like Elite: Dangerous. "Wahh, I don't like this thing because it's not realistic in this spaceship game." gently caress 'em. HBS, make the best game you can, and gently caress the whiners.

So those people who :qq: that it's not 'mah daddy's BattleTech' or something can download mods that tweak numbers to make it 'real BattleTech' and the rest of us can not care.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 2, 2017

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I haven't lost a match yet, and that's, I think,. mostly fine for the campaign. The AI seems decent, I'm sure I've made some mistakes but by and large it mosty feels like I've out-tacticked it.

Tomorrow I'll try a few matches with the AI having a significant advantage (or the best I can with the limited funds... it'd be nice if they added an 'unlimited' toggle so I could set up a Assaultbrawl).

The AI, for example, knew exactly how ti use its UrbanMechs in the last match- hold them back and pump AC shots into my Mechs from a distance, and they seem unnaturally canny at hitting my loving center torso. I even made one mistake where I put my Assault's back to them and they immediately took advantage and I got scared I was going to lose my Victor. I was sitting there wondering "what loving lights are these?" then I got in range and saw Urbies and I just started swearing.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

isildur posted:

the thing is, we have turbospergs on staff. we have people who care *deeply* about BT and its lore and its rules. and we've reached where we're at now after trying a lot of different stuff to try to capture the feel of BT while still making a fun computer game. We've had close adherence to the rules, and we've had wild variant rules with silly poo poo going on, and everything in between. And what we're using as our metric is *playing* the things we try, and then i fill an entire whiteboard with feedback and action items, and we try new things and play those.

our resident BT nerd, Eck, who loves the official rules with a burning passion that's honestly a little creepy, is on board. Once he was on board, and agreed that the game was fun, and won the first office tournament handily, I decided we'd met our obligation to fulfill nerd expectations. It's not exactly like TT but it's different in specific, carefully designed ways that addressed specific, carefully identified problems.

So it's not so much that we don't care about turbonerds, but that we are, ourselves, turbonerds. And we know the path we took from there to where we are now.

Just in case, I didn't mean to offend if my post offended. I think HBS has done a fantastic job, the game feels great. I've never played tabletop so I can't speak to that.

I think you guys absolutely have made the right decision- rigid adherence to the rules does not necessarily a fun game make. And you guys have made a REALLY fun game, and I'm extra anxious to get my hands on the campaign, where I have to make Choices other than "gently caress my pilot getting injured, I can win this match."

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Editing this post out because there's a far easier way to do it, found later:

Sky Shadowing posted:

For those who want to create their own MechWarriors (portraits included), there's a far easier way to do so than the guide I posted earlier.

Linked Here.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 3, 2017

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Just got rekt by the AI, I made my share of errors and they eagerly and violently took advantage.

Only scored one kill and it was because I decided to say 'gently caress it' and sent my Catapult into a murderfrenzy with 4 MD Laser shots on their Assault and 2 LRMs on their Shadowhawk (killed it). Shutdown and overheated but the match was lost anyways.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

For those who want to create their own MechWarriors (portraits included), there's a far easier way to do so than the guide I posted earlier.

Linked Here.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Innerguard posted:

So I've edited the mechwarrior file to create my own pilot but I can't seem to find a way of getting them to actually populate in the selectable list. Anyone got a suggestion?

You've gotta go into the VersionManifest.csv file in the StreamingAssets/data folder. Find the other pilots and copy the line.

If you've added a custom picture add it here too, find an example picture (i.e. Mockingbird), delete the mwportraits line (just make it blank and leave the comma). I posted a link to a guide earlier that details the exact process from beginning to end.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

AI needs a little tweaking but this is, after all, literally beta. Not in the "ooh we'll give you BETA access THREE WEEKS in advance so you can get a head start", in the "no this game is still a bit broken and we want legitimate feedback" sense, which is refreshing.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Psion posted:

This is what I think also. Sending in units unsupported, not piling in when contact is made - each unit tends to be okay in a vacuum but they don't have a good way of working with one another, so it's too easy to string them out and roll them up 4v1 or 4v2 at a time.

Is there a way to debug disable fog of war? Because I can't see through the fog of war, but it feels like the AI likes to start every match by sprint moving all 4 units straight ahead which naturally spreads out the units into a chain based on movespeed. I wonder if the AI doing well with Urbanmechs (anecdotally, it feels like they do) is because they're slower than Locusts or Commandos so they can't get out as far ahead from their support?

The AI is literally making me fear UrbanMechs, just because they hang out near the back and every single shot seems to go into my center torso. I feel like they're calling shots every time they fire.

It's probably that the lances are putting high-gunnery guys into the UrbanMechs, but good god I understand them now.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I like the new thread title too, but could we add (BattleTech) to it? So we don't get idiots looking for a BattleTech thread and not seeing it.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Keep in mind that I'm pretty sure in the campaign the AI will offer surrender, and likewise you can surrender as well. They keep their 'Mechs, you complete your contract, but deny yourself the chance for that salvage (but also the chance for them to score lucky hits, and I imagine factions will remember that you didn't massacre their forces).

Also, I don't think most missions will be pitched battles, they'll be longer, drawn out objectives, with more forces than 4 Mechs- a selection of vehicles and such included.

Also, forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the only game to actually take place in 3025 (besides this) maybe MechWarrior 1? 2 and GBL are Clan stories, 2 Mercs starts off a few years before the Clans hit and show the event (with you even getting to poo poo on Phelan Kell by saying "lol you go and stay captured by the Clans I'm gonna escape"), all after keep marching.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Looks like we're gonna get some news about release date at E3.

Not directly, I mean, just because XCOM 2 is announcing a new expansion and Mitch said during a Q&A that they're not dumb enough to go head-to-head with the current king of tactical turn based strategy.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Even if we don't get large urban environments I imagine base assaults will have buildings to blow up.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

There will apparently be something shown about the campaign soon at the PC Games Show at E3.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Wonder when the next version of the beta is coming through? I assume they'll be patching and getting feedback on those.

They've actually committed to only adding multiplayer at some point. I'd presume there will be a general patch at that time. But it doesn't look like they're putting much into maintaining the beta.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Well with XCOM2's expansion and TW:W2 dominating the strategy window from late August to late September I expect release in late October or November.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

There was a Q&A yesterday and HBS confirmed a patch (not multiplayer) would be coming in the next week or so. So back up whatever mods you've created. Specifically changes in the manifest file.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

HBS did say that in the full release piloting skill will influence how fast a Mechs becomes unsteady so even if they don't tweak the numbers it will change.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Local multiplayer meaning hotseat? I don't know if that's a feature they're planning for.

E: If you mean LAN I don't think the Beta has any multiplayer yet, to clarify.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Innerguard posted:

Speculative question : any word on an 'eject' button? I dunno about other folks but I can see situations when I'd want to do so, particularly if a pilot was getting hammered.

It's a hotly requested feature on the official forums and one of the devs gave a really long explanation as to why not on this post here on this page. (warning, official forums)

Basically, if they give you that power, they have to explain it, explain what situations you should use it in, animate it, balance around it.

Pretty much 'no'.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Bubbacub posted:

:stare:

If you read the article, Jordan admits that the goal of the game is to recreate X-Com 1:1.

No, he's saying he wants BattleTech (the video game) to be to BattleTech (the tabletop game) what XCOM (2012) was to X-Com (the original)- a faithful reimagining that wants to stays true to the ideas of the original while still reworking to fit it in a modern world.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Psion posted:

top in-app purchases include:
($10) ATLAS PACK - Mission 1 access to a unique-skinned ATLAS 'mech, king of the battlefield!
($5) 10000 C-BILL PACK: Get a head start on the competition with this infusion of Space AT&T Calltime!
($45) 100000 C-BILL PACK: Best value! Nobody can stand in the way of your monopoly on space internet!
($100) LOSTECH PACK: For the Trueborn Warrior, the Ultimate Technology, unlocked immediately!

:shepicide:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I was under the impression that as poo poo as PGI was the general consensus was their models are good and they did good by letting HBS use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

SirFozzie posted:

Note: The complaint is dated 5/1/2017. Since then, HBS has done nothing but move forward, so I'm hoping that is a good sign

To be fair they moved forward, with none of the disputed Mechs in Beta. All the ones included aren't the targets, so there's no reason not to be included.

The only real thing HG could argue about this is that the promise of the "illegal" Mechs being included in the Kickstarter and advertised as being in created demand for the game because obviously those are the only Mechs anyone care about so clearly it would never have succeeded without it so whine whine whine.