Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I just like to post how the Beta is okay. Had some fun shooting with an Awesome just above the head of my urbie. A bigger Mech would have blocked my shots. I also managed to dual leg my Victor with a DFA, luckily the DFA also killed the enemy mech (Metal Baby).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Zaodai posted:

Basically all of this.

JacksLibido, you seem dead set that you should be able to bull-rush lights in and have them not give a gently caress. For all the buffs lights have gotten, they should not be able to run into a lance of heavier mechs and laugh in their face. Scouting with lights works fine, but they need to stick out on the edges of the fight, where they still provide plenty of info, get their move mods and cover, and can use sensor lock normally to help the rest of the team.

Yes, if you want to run your mechs directly into brawling range and fight man mode, you don't want to bring lights. Because they are not and never have been built for that.

Mechs with a lot of SRMs are pretty good at dealing stability damage, like the standard Commando and Kintaro. Had a nice fight with Com-2D, JR7, SHD-2H and a Lolcust-SRM against 2x Panther, Quickdraw and Lolcust-SRM.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah, it is. I think Evasion should be a function of distance moved, with the skill making the pilot more efficient (for example one unit of movement with Evasion being worth two units without).

Evasion is easily countered by Sensor Lock. Which also removes the defensive movement modifier. Making it very easy to kill light mechs.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Pattonesque posted:

I like this a lot. maybe there's an additional skill that lets you use your melee attack at the end of a sprint with bonus damage (so long as it's in a straight line)?

The problem with making Evasive being tied to sprinting is that it will increase your base defense. I think Greatbeer's idea is the best, as of now. I think 25 to 40% reduction of accuracy would be an adequate payoff for 50% Dodge. So with more advanced Pilots you'd stick Evasive on your Scout who also has Sensor Lock.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

vorebane posted:

Is local multiplayer in the beta already or is it being worked alongside the online multiplayer?

If I recall correctly LAN Multiplayer is being worked on.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Sky Shadowing posted:

Release month might have slipped. Shadowhawk pre-order skin has appeared on Steam and showed a release date of April 2018 when in your wishlist.

E: it's officially on Steam as April. No specific day.

It's the 1st of April of course...

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Psion posted:

I promise, from the bottom of my cold, black heart, you are better off not knowing how PGI tried to balance a first person game against TT rules. Even if you frequently think the TT rules are silly, or should be changed, or believe that changing the medium requires changing the rules (because it does) ... it doesn't matter. You're better off.

it's just the dumbest possible solution to the problem of boating...or whatever they were trying to fix, and we'll leave it at that

He asked for it!

Prism posted:

Well what is it, for those of us who never played? Don't leave us in suspense!

Firing a number of weapons at once is bad, this number is different for each weapon, some weapons are grouped together. If you fire a bad combination of weapons, you receive extra heat, somewhere between "not noticeable" and "poo poo I'm dead".
Firing 2x AC/20 together = BAD = VERY HOT
Firing 2x LB-20X together = not BAD.

There were once funny numbers of BAD weapons
Firing 4x SRM2 = BAD
Firing 2x SRM4 = not BAD

I'm not making poo poo up.

Want to know how :pgi: named this mechanic? It's "heat scale". Brilliant. eh?

The original MW:O post :pgi:'s brilliant Game Designer Paul Inouye, it contains funny JPEGs! I lied - they're actually .PNGs
https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/127904-heat-scale-the-maths/
The current "heat scale" values have changed.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Omar_Comin posted:

Never forget:

I think CIG/Star Citizen has successfully proven that it's possible to raise more money, AND being more inept.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Phi230 posted:

So just to ask the thread if I'm going in the right direction:

I've maximized the armor for the starting Blackjack totally, everywhere. I've got 1 AC/2 and 4 MLs + 3 heat sinks + 4 JJs. Is that a good build or should I sacrifice like 6 tons of armor to cram on another AC/2

Drop 2 Heat Sinks and upgrade the lone AC/2 to an AC/5.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I currently use
Shadowhawk with 2x LRM10s, 1x Medium Laser, 1x Small Laser + (+5 dmg)
Centurion -A with 1x LRM10, 2x SRM2, 1x AC/5, 2x Medium Laser (I didn't have access to an AC/10 when I received the Centurion from the Argo Mission.
Vindicator with 1x Large Laser, 4x Medium Laser and more Heat Sinks
and one off (though usually the Blackjack)
Blackjack with an AC/5 and 4x Medium Lasers and extra Heat Sinks
Panther with 4x Medium Laser and an SRM4
Jenner with the stock armament.

Just shooting the hell out of the opposition with LRMs and then go in and punch/kick stuff.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Well I had only Mediums and lights until the SLDF Mission, than I got the Highlander and salvaged an Awesome. The next random mission had me going up against 1 Stalkers, 2 Banshees, 2 Thunderbolts, 1 Jagermech with LRMs, a Catapult and a Shadowhawk.

Next Try had 3 Stalkers, 1 Banshee, 1 Centurion, 2 Thunderbolts and 1Catapult. Didn't went well either way. Because the reinforcements were too close to the main force, so you'd trigger them at the same time.

I managed to beat that mission on another try with a Firestarter (3x ML, 6x SL (some ++ weapons)), a LRM Centurion, my Awesome and Highlander. Though I lucked out on the retry and 2 of the enemy heavies were only Dragons.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I just nerfed LRMs (roughly half dmg/stab damge). Thus allowing me to more safely bring lighter Mechs. This is also more fun for me, since I dislike LRMs. I also made light and medium Mechs harder to hit. Which should help.

If you don't like how the game plays => mod it.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Dramicus posted:

Even so, a simple -1 stab doesn't stop you from knocking everyone over with +++lrm20s. Any more of a debuff and it would just shift the knocking meta to SRM6s, which also do a lot at +++ levels and are easy to boat.

To add on to that, I also reduced Stab damage on SRMs too, LRMs are at 2-3 dmg per missile with 1-2 stab per Missile.
And I used Gwaihir idea to buff lights and added 4 extra tons of available weight to every Light (and Cicada). I starte a new campaign for it, and even with an Orion (AC/10 and SRMs) it's not a ONE alpha to unsteady route.

I see a lot less knowdowns this campaign. Though I'm immensely lucky with dealing head shots to enemies. And not getting many in return.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Behold my timeline.

It was an awesome fight. A enemy Wolverine and Shadowhawk really used their Melee Attacks against me (Punching, Kicking and DFAs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

RBA Starblade posted:

I just fought my first Demolisher

No thank you

Just wait until you encounter them without the armor debuff.