Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I'M CALM WHY AREN'T YOU CALM?!? - This thread, forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah, I'd always heard it as a Mech's tonnage being how much extra weight you could stack on top of an already heavy myomer frame and maintain effectiveness, not that the Atlas is literally only 100 tons. That works okay, is that not the 'canon' route or whatever?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

All turn-based tactics and tactical RPG games are XCOM. They always have been XCOM. The whole universe is XCOM.

XCOM.

EDIT: Most Sedans seat four people because that's how many soldiers you start with in XCOM. Makes u think

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Hmm so aside from having quite similar mechanics which was apparent early on, just like HBS redid their previous franchise combat system in the style of Xcom, even pointing out that "they implemented many elements from this rather successful strategy game, which plenty of others have chosen to copy as well" is just ridiculous ;)

which is best illustrated by a Penny Arcade 40k strip?? :confused:

Hey have you pointed out that the Book of Revelation obviously only has FOUR Horsemen in order to cash in on XCOM? Your crusade goes beyond the scope of a robit videogame made by the guy who designed the robits, friend. Enemies are everywhere. You must be vigilant.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Bubbacub posted:

Oh hey, 150 new posts in the Battletech thread - I wonder if HBS released an update on the multi-

:trumppop:

Happy to have you. Tell me, do you recognize the myriad ways that Gone with the Wind is actually just a blatant plagiarism of XCOM?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

You did it Hams. You showed us the light.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Same, OmniTech never gave me any issues on Window 7 or 10.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

Cough Cough There is an entry in the files for the dropship, which as mentioned already is a leopard, and an Upgraded Dropship which is the Argo. Cough

This has me super excited about the potential scale of late game missions if it's true.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

wiegieman posted:

It's a gangly licensed japanbot that they didn't even bother to take the weird plane parts off the back from when it was a transforming jet.

Correction - the robot the Marauder borrowed it's design from wasn't a transformer and never had those winglet things. That's an entirely BTech addition, and it makes no sense and is hideous.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 25, 2017

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Never change, HG :allears:

But yeah, as of now I see no realistic ground for them to stand on for this suit. The things they hold actual legal power over aren't present in HBS' game in any shape or fashion.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

That's the correct impression to have but apparently this skoll guy is toy robot game Captain Ahab or something

e:fb

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah maybe don't say poo poo like that if you don't know what you're talking about and can't provide an example.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

But is it an essentially reskinned Xcom?

All games are reskinned XCOM, weren't you paying attention?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Remora posted:

or door number three
-someone put in microtransactions or loot crates or something when I wasn't paying attention

Ah yes, HBS is well known for their exploitation of gamers with the gambling boxes for spirits and ESPs back in Shadowrun Returns, why I remember

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah, that seems fine for lights, there was never going to be as much variety in how lights as functioned there would be in heavies and assaults, so not having every chassis available is less of an issue.

Side note, I really, really like that PGI Marauder.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Can't stop, won't stop, messing with this logo.

Original:

Attempt to placate the Urbie weirdos Bonus :

Hey, I just want you to know that this is very cool and well done and I'm not going to just scream at you to add urbies to every field because it is good

Urbie Hunters would be pretty kickass though, gotta admit

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 13, 2018

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Airpower is definitely a thing but they tend to use the same weapons mechs do and so it takes them longer to kill a mech than you'd think. Also if I remember right anti-aerospace emplacements are actually very good at area denial in a setting that generally doesn't have effective defenses in any other tactical situation.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Henker posted:

I've been playing Stellaris to pass the time while waiting for Battletech to hit. No giant mechs but it does have space feudalism.

If you play as a machine civilization you can build multiple kinds of giant mech :eng101:

It just makes me want it to be Tuesday more though.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Caros posted:

In italics.

He really didn't used to suck like this.

I think getting incredibly mad at XCOM2 was a symptom of a larger problem, because seriously, who the hell is this dude and what happened to old EW Longwar Beaglerush?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

canepazzo posted:

Tanks are some unfun bullshit. Too much armor / too much damage potential; either one or the other has to go.

Tanks are fine, with the exception of the Striker. That dinky little fucker has no business taking the hits it takes while moving as fast as it does and looking like that :argh:

I actually really like that Demolishers and Schreks are properly terrifying.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

canepazzo posted:

Manticore. 2 turns of 4x ml and 1x AC5, barely half armor off. All the while he's PPCing my mechs to its heart contents, as well as the rest of the vehicles and lance.

Are you hitting the same side, and also not the front? Because Tanks have directional armor sections just like Mechs.

But also the Manticore is pretty heavy as I remember so yeah, you're likely gonna need to commit more firepower to it. Or just step on it, since that tends to insta-kill any tanks 60 tons or lighter.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Finally got an Atlas. Promptly stuffed all my LosTech in it. First mission I deployed it was a story mission where the greater part of the OpFor was a bunch of light mechs all streaming into one small section of the map :getin:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Kinda late to this conversation, but I would absolutely love multi-lance operations even if we never control more than one lance at a time. It would be a great way to make neat varied encounters that keep lighter mechs relevant while still letting you show off your stable of assaults in the endgame as the centerpiece of the operation. Plus, I mean, we've got like an augmented company of mechs and a second dropship collar here HBS, let us use them :getin:

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 10, 2018

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Astroniomix posted:

IIRC the cameras were in the hallway outside of the pool area.

It's this. The reason the skinny dippers got caught was because they flung themselves into the hallways leading into the pool area.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Xarbala posted:

But seriously, is there a way I can change the projectile speed for PPC bolts/Gauss shots? And just those. I feel like they should be at least twice as fast.

The Gauss visual is one of my only non-technical complaints about this game. It should be an hitscan railgun kinda thing that makes a terrifying noise, not this green nerf dart thing it is now.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

you beat him and you think you win, but suddenly two Arrow IVs slam into your CT out of nowhere

buckle up, fucko. It's Fen Cheng time.

I legitimately broke out in hives when you mentioned Arrows.

gently caress Feng Shui and gently caress starting right goddamn next to him in the championship.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

At least they're not coring us, I guess

BTech 1.1.1 patch notes just now posted:

Fixed a bug that was causing attacks to hit 'Mech head locations more frequently than intended.

Heh

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah I haven't been having anywhere near the kind of luck Starblade is claiming to, but I thought of him when I saw that note.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Betcha a Touro could out-kick an Atlas

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I think most of that statement was directed at your few posts that made you come across as having a really unfortunate obsession with forcing one character in particular to experience large amounts of pain so you could hear her scream.

They were, in fact, creepy, and they made you look insane.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 29, 2018

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Anyway, about the game: I really enjoyed the base game while it was fresh but the announcement of the expansion and its contents really didnt get me excited at all. Does anyone else feel this way?

No, because between the patches we're getting and the stuff announced for the expansion we're getting all the features I thought the base game needed to be truly excellent. Expac is good.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Ham Sandwiches really was onto something, because RogueTech sounds exactly like Long War.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

The Annihilator is always, in every incarnation doofy looking as poo poo

I love it

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Amechwarrior posted:

Also, DRAG AND DROP 'MECHBAY!

Praise be

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I haven't played in a bit, but yeah, as I recall the line goes something like "well she's supposed to be a jumpship but she's also a wreck, so" and presumably they just never bring the KF drive back online/it's not even actually there anymore.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Also, as someone pointed out KF drives take up a huge portion of a Jump Ship's mass. The only way the Argo could mount one and still have enough room for its conventional engines is if they used a Compact KF drive, the same type mounted on warships. If it had one of those then every House and Faction in the whole IS would come charging after you from the word go, cause those drives were one of the Holy Grails of lostech.

I swear there was a line ingame about it originally being jump capable like that one guy said upthread but it's for sure not anymore because your little crew would definitely not be able to hold onto that thing if it was.

But I also haven't played in months so I might be misremembering

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

There's this mod and sometimes people talk about it

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

^^^ Ayyyyyy

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh, he was a Dragoon in 1. The Player's character had dialogue in MA and was an actual character.

In MechAssault 2 he turns into a silent staring killer who blows up tanks with planted satchel charges and hijacks enemy BattleMechs by giving them battle armor hugs. He also commits or is directly involved in two city-destroying atrocities.

Did he actually talk in MA1? I seem to recall it all being commander lady and that foster dude. In fact as I recall MA1 character didn't even have a model, any cutscene he was present in was first person.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Doesn't have the stupid shoulder-mounted gigacannon that one-shots Atlases, doesn't count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I haven't actually made it to the point in the campaign where you could grab one, but I checked out the Cyclops in a skirmish.

Battle Computers are a hell of a thing :stare: