Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Somebody should figure out the density of that Atlas if we accept the 100T weight. A modern 70 ton MBT is probably the size of it's crotch box. I bet it would float.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Zaodai posted:

Canon Atlases are already lacking enough in density to float, from what people have said about the distribution of 100 tons compared to their physical dimensions. Blowing them up by another 60% or what ever would make it even more hilarious.

Wanna see an Atlas floating in a tropical sea, drinking booze out of an apartment building-sized coconut with a circus tent umbrella.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

WebDO posted:

And so the countdown to giant anime tits companions begins

Was gonna say Tetatae incoming, but that too

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Bolow posted:

After dicking around more in skirmish, I feel like Sensor Lock on a scout mech coupled with an LRM boat might be a little too good, especially considering that the commando and jenner have huge sensor ranges. This might be less of an issue in the campaign mode since ammo might not be readily available or easily replenished between missions, but they're pretty brutal in skirmish

If you tried this against a human player, what's the counter? Stay in cover and flank the LRM boats?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Light mech durability feels about right to me. Unless you get unlucky with where the damage lands, I feel like they can take 2 or 3 good hits before you have to pull back with them and use them cautiously.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I played tabletop, and the AI doesn't put up a huge fight - I haven't lost more than 1 mech in a match so far. But aside from being quirky and somewhat easy to exploit, the fact that the AI mostly functions well seems really impressive.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

The AI seems to know how to drive an Atlas well. I lost 3 of my mechs to one. I was down to my wounded Awesome when the Atlas overheated and shut down, and I killed with with 2 PPCs to the head. :woop:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Oh hey, 150 new posts in the Battletech thread - I wonder if HBS released an update on the multi-

:trumppop:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I wonder if PPCs will seem more useful in the campaign since they don't have to rely on ammo.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

:stare:

If you read the article, Jordan admits that the goal of the game is to recreate X-Com 1:1.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Worst case, MWO is hosed but Battletech is released with an Urbanmech placeholder model for all the mechs?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I don't have time to play yet - how's the fury mechanic working out? I like that they flipped it from how morale used to work.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I always wanted to see Clan Hell's Horses represented more in the games.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Perestroika posted:

Another popular example is the AI coding in early versions of Oblivion. They had this huge elaborate system set up, where each NPC had a set of characteristics and needs and would dynamically try to satisfy their needs in line with their characteristics (e.g. an upstanding citizen will always buy food to eat, whereas a criminal might just steal or even murder for it). Kinda like The Sims writ large, if you will. I'm sure one of the reasons it got so far was because it probably was very interesting and satisfying to design, implement, and then see working in motion. However, it ran into two problems: One, all the additional complexity could quickly lead to unpredictable outcomes, like entire towns killing themselves off in some sort of revenge-murder cascade triggered by a harmless theft. And two, all that complexity was largely wasted on the player, who couldn't see the workings behind it. If you see a shopkeeper get up and go grab a bite to eat in the tavern, it doesn't make much difference to you whether he did that because a complex simulation had him decide he'd gotten too hungry and calculate the inn as the cheapest place to get good food, or whether there's just a simple script along the lines of "At time Y, go to place X and perform action Z, then return". The result, as seen by the player, is essentially the same. It can be very easy to get lost in the how a certain thing can be accomplished, while forgetting about the resulting what that the player will actually interact with.

This is one of the reasons I thought Star Citizen was such a :rolleyes:

Also, :kingsley: April 24th :kingsley:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The thunderbolt is definitely in the game. Also we're all hoping the MWO mechs not yet included either show up as expansion material and/or modded in by players (someone already whipped up primitive Rifleman and Warhammer mods for the beta).

I don't understand why some of the unseen are in and some aren't. Whatever, IANAL. :shrug:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

rt4 posted:

battlete.cx

What is that Atlas doing to its coolant port?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Star Man posted:

Someone just scoop up the myriad of licenses or whatever it takes to get MechWarrior 2 on Steam or GOG kthx ilu

It's too bad there hasn't been a source code release of Mechwarrior 2. It would be a fun game to mod. Also, none of the games since have quite nailed the Bitchin' Betty voice as well.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Stop posting about the MWO glory days, you're gonna make me want to reinstall it.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Cryengine sucks? Somebody better go tell Chris Roberts

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

If could send a message back in time to myself, I would be so confused by "Hey in like 15 years you can play a multiplayer Mechwarrior game that lets you a pilot a Daishi, Warhammer, Marauder or whatever, but it's not that much fun. Also there's a Mechwarrior 5 coming out that nobody's excited about.

P.S. Donald Trump is president

e: P.P.S you get a new star wars movie every year"

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 15, 2018

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

sebmojo posted:

I'm guessing isildur will have snuck an Easter egg in there, otherwise I'm revoking the gently caress out of her goon card fyi

I hope there's an event where you can choose to not award your mechwarriors their bonus money and instead invest it with a shady businessman named Doobie

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

rt4 posted:

Pay their salary in ClanCoin

Purestrain ClanCoin

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

The Battletech intro works really well with the Expanse theme music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg4dx6FNGdU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

What's the joke here

The only sentient aliens that ever appeared in Battletech are a bunch of birds. The book they appeared in is terrible and widely disregarded, so they obviously became the goon favorite

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I said come in! posted:

lol when was this?

knocking over paul's mech.mp4

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Game good.

I played the beta a fair amount and still get a little confused about the UI, so it’s probably a lovely learning curve for anyone new. But the game really tickles that part of my brain that got joy from moving plastic mechs around on a paper hex map, and I don’t want to stop playing.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Cowcaster posted:

i will say i hate how for both the character portraits and mech customization there is a complete lack of colors which could fall under the descriptions “eye searing” and/or “blindness inducing”. extremely disappointing

I like being able to make a bearded lady, but the lack of an obesity slider is disappointing. My pilot "Jabba" looks way too skinny. :(

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Had a weird glitch in the Argo mission. I finished with only light damage, but in the debrief screen 3 of my mechs had all their armor gone except for the head. :confused:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Some weight-limited terrain types like frozen ice or mud that could trap heavy/assault mechs could be cool.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

ditty bout my clitty posted:

It depends, if you push for salvage prepare to meet half a dozen shitcats. If you push for payment, you’ll headcap a thunderbolt and an orion on your third move.

Truth :emo:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Eej posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/battletech-lore/

So the 3025 date is so everyone's on the ground floor and can appreciate how stupidly OP the Clans are. That's fair I guess.

e: but also that means they're bringing Clans in at their full power noooooooo

MY HOME PLANET

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

What's the best way to beat the dropship control tower mission? I feel like I can barely get in range by 15 turns.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I tried sprinting for it, but the Hunchback shooting into my back caused some holy hell. :cry: I'll give it another shot.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

mods change my name posted:

I just want to see an Urbanmech at some point :(

From the reddit AMA, sounds like they're going to appear more after the patch.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

According to the original BT sources, the Stalker actually has regular knees. It looks goofy.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Does anyone else miss gyro and engine crits? It feels a little odd to open up an enemy's CT and not have anything vital to poke at.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

The pilots were Xenomorphs with acid blood

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Except sometime what the Local Government SWEARS to you is a Heavy Mech turns out to be a Schrek PPC Carrier or Manticore :v:

That's actually pretty sneaky of them, they save a lot of C-bills on greedy mercs.

Pattonesque posted:

90% of the folks who play Mechwarrior Online are Dads, and 90% of those Dads are Tactical Dads who babble incessantly about FLANKING and SUPPRESSIVE FIRE and FOX 2 FOX 2 FOX 2

they usually die while trying a brilliant flank 1000m away from their teammates in a Dire Wolf and blame their teammates for it

DANGER CLOSE

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Eldragon posted:

But that would involve giving insufferable clanners a game where the clans are the protagonists and they can live out their eugenic furry fantasies. I don't think we want that.

Make clans AI only. The AI's bad tactics actually match with the lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Renegret posted:

I have a 4P. The biggest problem I have is that it tends to get focused really hard and it doesn't have the armor or speed to put up with it. The mech spends a lot of time in repairs, and you have to baby the hunch so it's not rendered worthless. Plus, if the hunch gets blown off, it takes a long time to rebuild all those MLs.

What typically happens is that I hide it behind the rest of my guys, and when the enemy's close or is about to get knocked down, I bring out the hunchback and let it go whole hog. My last mission I brought it out, it got 5 out of a total of 7 mech kills. Most of those were called shots to the CT.

It's kinda cool when people post about how to play with a particular mech, and the description is pretty much interchangeable between BT and MWO.