Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

I said come in! posted:

Battletech at launch will be just the main menu with an exit button, with the way these cuts to content are being reported. :P

As long and it's not just "a line in the sand." :pgi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Sadistic posted:

I'm thinking Cyclops.

It's an Orion.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Reminds me of how MWO went to poo poo the moment they switched from 8v8 to 12v12.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Back Hack posted:

No, MWO went to poo poo long before that. Increasing the player count wasn't such a big deal, what was a big deal was at the same time they reduced the number of people who could drop together and never address the matchmaking, which would constantly pit teams of mediums/lights against teams of heavies/assaults. On top of all that, they inadvertently kept nerfing lighter mechs and encourage people to boat on large mech, who could stomach the ghost heat penalties by using more heatsinks.

Then came the clan mechs...

Increasing the player count was an enormous problem because it led to an increase in the damage downfield - it significantly impacted brawling as it meant more damage received while attempting to close in, paving the way to the sniping meta, which in turn led to the addition of Ghost Heat to try and nerf PPC snipers and paradoxically loving with brawling even further.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

kingcom posted:

lol and super accurate.

Also FilthyRobot might be a solid streamer to hand the game to, hes a huge rear end in a top hat type but is amazing at squeezing optimal play out of any turnbased strategy game.

FR puts a lot of effort into his optimization efforts with numbers and testing, but he's not actually that good at it - he tends to lock himself into assumptions about how the games work, and the efforts I just mentioned are aimed at reinforcing his own biases.

Terrific player considering how he's able to handle brainpower-intensive games while streaming, though.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

That's better than a 950m

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

GruntyThrst posted:

The gunnery skills really start to drop off late game. Mulishot is much less important because heavies/assaults have less evasion and are easier to hit, plus you really need to be focusing fire. Breaching shot suffers the same issue in that you’re better off focusing all firepower on someone who’s not in cover/braced and since you’re always outnumbered, it’s not hard to find a valid target.

What I’m saying is I regret having 3 2 gun/1 guts warriors now and wish I’d made at least one of them 2 tax/1 guts

Counterpoint: multi-shot + breaching shot + LRMs on fools you want to knock over while the rest of your weapons focus on already downed or near-death mechs.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

mods change my name posted:

I don't know, but I think one way of making keeping certain mechs or weight classes viable would be maybe to add some sort of pilot proficiency towards either a certain mech, or just a broad weight class. For instance a top tier light pilot gets 2 extra evasion pips or what have you. Just maybe a way of distinguishing mechwarriors more with skill and another avenue to balance light/heavy or whatever. There is probably like a thousand holes in this theory, but it seems like there are a lot of interesting ways they could go about it too beyond just tonnage limits

Mech specialization would do absolutely nothing towards balancing the weight classes.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Cheen posted:

Its not true grognard/minmaxing if its against the AI-

I await the minmaxing in multiplayer!

Flamer Firestarter to lock down the heaviest mech the opponent has.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Control Volume posted:

4 firestarters to do this to three mechs while the last firestarter uses small lasers

The problem is the limited flamer charges; you want the rest of your team to have the firepower to quickly destroy or utterly cripple the shutdown mech. If you commit more than one flame firestarter to this strategy you risk running out of ammo before having inflicted sufficient damage to the enemy lance.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Or, just weight cap at 300 tons for the lance and think around that.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

What was that other pilot that shares Glitch's voice lines? Might need a spare.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Rygar201 posted:

I love that so many people in this thread both hate the Clans and are also mad that sometime the enemies field a larger force than indicated before the mission starts, as well as want incentives to field lighter Mechs than they have to.

:five:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I've been playing with settings, and made a couple of changes that seem to add quite a bit to my game.

I turned on multiple height levels affecting accuracy, and also turned on penalties. High ground is MUCH more important, and can provide some pretty excellent bonuses to hit lower targets, and some very severe penalties when shooting at higher targets.

I made light mechs harder to hit based on size (+4 rather than +2), and added a small penalty to Heavy and Assault mechs' shots if they move the same turn.

I also changed how evasion pips are gained and how much they do. It now takes an additional hex of movement to start generating them, and each is worth +4 rather than +2. Testing it, my assaults could only manage to get MAYBE 3 evasion if they sprinted on open terrain, while my light was able to get 6 easily, and was +24 to hit when he did (plus the +4 base, a sprinting light is +28 to hit rather than +14).

I also set Sensor Lock to strip one pip rather than 2.

Going to play a bit with these changes and see how much it affects the game, specifically light mech survivability and utility.

edit: also doubled how much of a penalty obstructed view gives to hit. That plus the height changes I'm hoping will make terrain much more important.

It sounds like you buffed the already extremely effective strategies of JJing everywhere for movement, and Breaching+MultiShot into knockdowns.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

JJ doesn't provide free pips, it counts as movement, and is affected by the increased distances needed to generate evasion. JJ isn't providing me with more evasion pips than moving would it seems.

edit: oh you mean in regards to height. Seeing as how I started this mission at the base of a large, shallow hill and am trying to fight my way up against withering fire from the treeline (which seems to add obstructed bonuses?), JJ isn't helping me much

Besides the height modifiers, the trick is that JJs let you move past your mech's speed if you've got enough of them, which certain chassis will find rewarding given the buff to pips.

Optimal playstyle already involves moving into good positions + Vigilance, so you improved that, while doing nothing against the optimal strategy of counterfire with breaching shot + multishot + missiles into knocking down the enemy, which will ignore/strip the buffed enemy defense.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

My buddy just started playing a few days ago and today he told me he was restarting because he hadn't understood the mechanics and now that he did he was going to try again from the beginning. Oh, and that Glitch died in the first mission, and he didn't understand the meta about her.

I told him no poo poo, if she dies before you get to learn how to use her and hear her lines, you won't.

Idiot fucker.

I also called him a war criminal for letting her die.

Wow what a Nazi.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

LostCosmonaut posted:

If you strip off enough armor, you can fit two AC/20s on a Jagermech.

Boomjagers :fap:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, so I'm fairly early into the game, I've only done the Argo mission, and I'm still running your starter Lance with a Shadow Hawk, Vindicator, Blackjack but replaced the Spyder with the Centurion you get from the Argo. Both non-story missions I have are 1 skull, but they feel way more difficult than that. Both have me going up against twice as many mechs as I have, and while they're a mix of light and medium mechs, I'm still getting rolled. Like My SH mechwarrior keeps getting hit in the head constantly, twice I've restarted the missions because she'd straight up died to a bunch of locusts shooting the L laser at her. The blackjack gets knocked on the ground constantly. My counter attacks are anemic at best, barely scratching a jenner or locust when they do hit. Like Yea, of course they're going to be hard to hit do to their movement, but the 4 mechs shooting at one locust should not knock off half a pip of armor.

one of the missions always puts me into a pincer attack that I cannot get out of because of how silly the setup is.

I know the game is all about tactical choice and knowing when to do what, but I'm feeling that the game is just straight up being bullshit in these missions. There's a difference between being punishing for your mistakes, and just straight up RNG bullshit.

Are you using your morale abilities? Vigilance removes all stability damage and gives a 50% damage reduction buff, and Called Shot is, well, called shot - target the CT of a light and your alpha strikes should take them out. You might need to better outfit your mechs, too (hint: the stock loadouts are hot garbage).

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

twistedmentat posted:

Yea. I'm using them when i can. though I can't really used called shot because it has such a tiny chance to hit. For the others, is it better to take a shot or use the ability?
For new loadouts, I'm limited by what salvage I've gotten. The Centurion is stuck with an AC/5 because I don't have the 10 I'm supposed to use there. I'm not sure how I can improve my mech's gear.

Oops, sorry figured that was something pretty minor.
And yea, I'm making sure I have a decent chance to hit when I fire, at least 50%, though i've put a decent amount into the targeting skills. And generally my tactics are a flanking maneuver around left or right depending on the terraine, trying to keep in cover and moving to get the evasion pips. Focus fire on the lighter mechs because as I've said, they seem to be able to do more damage because those locus small lasers always seem to get those crits to hit my mechwarriors.

Called Shot doesn't reduce your chance to hit; the numbers displayed are the chances of a given successful attack to hit the location you're aiming at.

Vigilance lets you guard and shoot on the same turn.

MLas, SRM4/6, and SLas/MG are common and have the best tonage-to-damage ratios if you're struggling to at all deal damage. LRMs are good too for the stability damage. Lasers have a small to-hit bonus.

Honestly, it's hard to tell what you're doing wrong without more information.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Ignorant Hick posted:

Game owns but I’m getting deeper into the story now and I feel like I don’t have enough firepower to deal with these heavy mechs.

I’m on a three star assassination contract and it’s one of the few missions I’ve ended up save scumming on. It starts me at the bottom of a steep hill and no matter what direction I go my mechs end up in combat on their first move. Fighting 9-12 enemies. I’ve tried this mission three times and it seems the only way to not get stuck in a cross fire is to hug the map edge and try to take out the mech group farthest away from the target. I can take out the lights and mediums quickly enough but there’s always at least two heavies like a dragon or an Orion that I can’t wear down fast enough.

While I’m trying to fight them my mechs are constantly being peppered from out of sight by the other group. By the time the target reaches me everyone’s either out of ammo or too damaged to last the rest of the fight.

Currently using a grasshopper with a ppc and a bunch of L/M lasers, a trebuchet loaded with LRMs that I feel’s been carrying me this far with stability damage, a Dragon with SRMs and melee weapons for tanking, and a Jaeger with two AC/20s. Don’t know if I’ve built the jaeger properly though. Before now I’ve been using its default weapons with the M lasers swapped for jump jets and that felt like a fairly useful sniper. But holy gently caress do enemies love to shoot at it. Felt like I spent more time running away with it than taking shots. I feel like I need this shotgun jaeger to kill heavies but even with two components of ammo it runs dry so quickly.

If I rush down the target and evac, do I still get the salvage?

Obligatory "remembered to Called Shot the CT to quickly take out mechs."

Boomjager is fun but it's a gimmick; if you want an effective one use the Missile Jager (max front armor, mlas, all SRMs or mix SRM4/LRM15 if you've got multi-shot).

If you're suffering for damage then how about giving the Grasshopper a far more damage efficient loadout of all mlas+slas (or MGs if you're suffering from heat). Add in the Jump Jets and it should be able to annihilate anything you shoot from the back, with judicious use of Vigilance to keep it protected.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Um, not to be a dick here but most people cant just go to the store and buy the missile Jager and giving advice "get a completely different mech" doesnt necessarily help. I've been taking my time working through the campaign but I'm probably two years into the game and I have only ever seen one missile jager.

Dude didn't specify which Jagermech they had.

And really, that's a common problem with people coming in asking for advice: they provide very little info regarding what tools they've got available or clues as to what they might be doing wrong. So, you throw advice at random hoping something sticks.

And hey, sometimes the best advice is indeed "try and get better mechs"!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Machine guns help because they generate lots of head hits I think. I think in my second run through I'll mod in dhs, endo steel and ferro.

Nope. Salvo weapons either generate an injury if the first shot hits, or none if it doesn't, regardless of how many shots there are in the salvo. They don't have any peculiar "head homing" mechanic, either.

So, all weapons are equally valid when hunting for head-impact injuries.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Section Z posted:

It will be a shame if it's thrown under the bus by people complaining how the Catapult is garbage without dual +Stab LRM20s at minimum because you can't shoehorn in 4 LRM launchers like the Jager A. Then turning around to beg for nerfs due to their love of 100 and up stab per alpha ace customs.

Lurmboat Tiers:

God Tier:
Welfare Highlander
Stalker
Jagermech A

Good Tier:
Orion V
Highlander 733P
Victor 9S

Okay Tier:
Catapult C1
Orion K
Thunderbolt 5S/5SE
Victor 9B

Baby Tier:
Centurion A

Don't Bother Tier:
Everything else

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Fulton recovery system upgrade for the Argo when?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Picked up a thunderbolt 5SS and thinking of using it to replace my hunchback 4P (8 medium laser one) but it seems that the heat efficiency doesn't seem to be as good when using 7 medium lasers and an lrm15.

How you guys fit this thing

Drop the LRMs, max front armor, turn it into a full laser brawler with 7mlas + 2slas. You can add 4 JJs and it'll still retain a good heat efficiency if you fill the remaining space with heatsinks. Alternatively, drop the JJs for an SRM6+1t ammo (4 tons) and SLas for MGs (less damage, better heat) for an overall bigger punch at the expense of mobility and efficiency.

If you really want the stand-off range weapon, then LRM10+1ta (6 tons) should do it, removing the JJs and either SLas or heatsinks. You can't really fit a larger LRM launcher without causing the chassis an identity crisis.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Darkrenown posted:

Is the Centurion too good, or the Cataphract bad (or is my build just trash)?

Here's my Cent with 920 total armour:

While my Cata only has 960:

Cent's alpha is 3 * 25 + 60 + 60 = 195

Cata's is 5*25 + 60 = 185.

The Cata is only my 2nd heavy (First was a Thunderbolt which replaced my laser hunchback), so I was excited to upgrade... but it's 20 tons heavier for a slight armour increase and slightly lower alpha plus a later phase while also being less heat efficient and less mobile. Sure I could drop to an AC5 and/or lose the JJs to increase the armour, but then it's even worse when comparing the damage or mobility. The Cent also does 42 stability damage compared to the Cata's 30. Perhaps it's just SRM6++s being too strong, but even without them the Cent would only drop to 171 alpha.

Centurions are good chassis and SRMs are the best brawling weapons. Since the Cataphract can't mount any, and doesn't have that many E hardpoints to be a pure laser brawler, the only way it can really niche itself into the role is by becoming an AC/20 platform.

Also do away with the JJs if you're pressed for space, and max front armor.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Never not have jumpjets. If you're not moving, you're dying. If not outright, then by attrition because your repair bills are waaaay higher if you're just standing there slugging it out. Jumpjets are especially great on Heavies and Assaults because that's the only way your 100 ton rear end is getting close to maxing out evasion.

Do you not take Bulwark?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

BitBasher posted:

People here keep insinuating that jump jets aren't good because of bulwark. They are not mutually exclusive and can both be useful in the same fight. It's not one or the other.

The discussion seemed to have derailed into that, but what I had objection to when I first brought it up wasn't to the JJ use per se, but to using them every turn and relying on evasion.

JJs and Bulwark work just fine; I wouldn't take them on every chassis, but most mechs certainly benefit from the terrain-ignoring and fast turning repositioning.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Taear posted:

I guess this stuff doesn't matter to me because I just called shot the centre torso with 82% every time with everything and oneshot the mechs. If I was going to try hard for salvage or to be more tactical I think Jump Jets would feel more useful but it's just not how I play.

The "Lurms into Knockdown into Called Shot the CT" meta doesn't care much about JJs since you just wait for the enemy to come to you and delete them the moment they get into weapons range, yeah. There's still some use for getting around obnoxious terrain, but generally you pick your environment and don't care for flanking (yours or the enemy).

There's more of an use case in the early game and multiplayer, where you will be fielding light and medium dickpunchers that want to quickly step on vehicles or get some back shots.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I'm just baffled people are bothering to argue PPC vs Gauss when the loving AC/5 does exactly what the PPC does but better.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

If you're playing the game with the intention of making it harder for yourself then yeah PPC has an use case over Gauss :shrug:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Klyith posted:

sorry
i got mad about videogames

I think I'm gonna head on out of this thread because while I like the game, the conversation has gotten really bad. Now that most people have finished it and have nothing left but arguing about bulwark or gauss or whatever poo poo they think is best and are incredulous that other people do different.

I believe you're 50% of the people ITT that have been making GBS threads up the conversation.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Jedit posted:

Found a Mechwarrior who has the male version of Glitch's lines. Conclusion: what makes you sound fun as a 23 year old woman has a very different effect when you're a 30 year old man.

Isn't Glitch like 35?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The answer tor running out of ammo is melee.

Alternatively, those lasers you're putting in could be 2 additional tons of ammo.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

That's the use for Ace Pilot, yeah. That, and on Firestarters before then.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Grf-1n, instantly sell?

Why? 3 missile slots, 3 energy slots, and a support (small laser) slot, all on the same arm/side torso, giving you a whole redundant side.

It's one of the best mediums, a step behind the Kintaro and neck to neck with the Centurion.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I personally don't like everything being on one side and the s is better with srms imo.

Maybe I should put it on a defender dude and abuse the side then

How can the variant with 2 hardpoints be better at missiles than the one with 3???

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Darkrenown posted:

Why do you tie it with the Cent? I agree the Griffin is nice, but I eventually replaced it with the 2nd Centurion I got since the Cent has similar hardpoints but 3.5 more tons to work with.

It's faster.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Little button on the bottom left window when you have a mech selected.

It destroys the head (and any components/mods in it) but other than that you recover the mech in the state you left it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

That'd be disgusting if the AI could sprint into melee, and skew things even further into the lurm/sniping meta.