Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I wonder if I can get it running in WINE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Man the difficulty curve in this game is SEVERE. Going from 2 skulls to 2.5 is at LEAST a doubling in difficulty. 2 skull missions I could count on completing with a lance of 2-3 mediums, maybe a heavy, and a light and expect to face a lance or a lance+1 with a vehicle or three. On a 2.5 skull mission expect to be outnumbered 2-1 with at least 1 heavy if not more, plus several mediums and a few lights. It is not a linear increase in difficulty.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Got a pilot with the callsign "Tire Fire"

A fitting replacement for dear departed Glitch.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Hm, where can I run missions to boost my ratings with the Taurians? I hear they have the best equipment for sale, but tootling around their space is only providing missions from Davion and Capellan employers usually targeting Taurian assets. That kind of tanks my rating with the Taurians and their big juicy spacebucks.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I appreciate how many of the pilot callsigns actually sound like pilot callsigns. My A-team right now has "Red Flag" and "Tire Fire" which I'm sure have stupid shenanigans behind them to warrant the name. Illegal street-racing and a literal tire fire, I'm sure.

Pilots do the stupidest poo poo to get their callsigns.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Anyone having any issues with the GoG DLC?
For some reason it's not updating anything. The installer is only 1.5MB, so clearly it's gotta download something but it's not. GoG... why do you make me re-download the whole shebang all the time. :(

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Baiting and ducking works really well in capture base and destroy base missions, since there's no time limit and probably no reinforcements. You can take your time drawing out the garrison, defeating them piecemeal, and then taking care of the base turrets and the buildings. Takes a bit of time but you can bite of a bigger chunk. I had to bail on a battle mission because I took on a 3 star, and took a little too long dealing with the first lance when the second showed up. Faced with 8 fully functional mediums charging down my throat I cut bait and ran before I started losing limbs. I was a little gunshy after I had an ambush convoy mission go south, and while I accomplished it I lost Medusa and two mechs. Had to retreat to a low-difficulty system for a while to repair and recover resources.

I have a question about the heat exchangers and heat banks, and how to use them effectively. I put both on an enforcer with a heavy energy loadout, and on the statlines at least it said that heat efficiency was topped out. I think that might be a math problem though, because while I had a really high ceiling to launch an impressively hot alpha strike, I didn't dissipate heat any faster so that massive heat load hung around for a long time. Are those things trap options? There's got to be some setup where they're worthwhile, I just don't know how to effectively use them.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Not wanting to quote myself, but I just did some math because I'm at work and bored waiting on a coworker to respond to me.

Exchangers are worth it if you produce more weapon heat than 10x the equivalent tonnage of heat sinkage.

Thus:
Exchanger I: Install if you produce 60+ weapon heat.
Exchanger II: 90+ weapon heat
Exchanger III: 120+ weapon heat

That probably limits them to heavies and assaults than can fit enough tonnage of weapons to PRODUCE that amount of heat. I guess if you're borderline it might be useful too because of the lack of environmental impact. That drops those 'worth it' thresholds down quite a bit if you're doing martian/lunar landscape missions.

It looks like the heat bank component is just an installable guts 9 skill. Maxed armor and have a spare ton for some reason? Heat bank I guess.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I do like that ability (even or especially with the moon crab scenario) of being able to keep the pressure on in those critical first few rounds of firing. Four rounds of big hole punchers vs. two rounds of big holepunchers is a big deal when targeting a medium that can't really sustain that kind of pressure. Ekeing out an extra round or two of alpha strikes... I know I really depend on being able to quickly put down one or two mechs early on, and the rng means you really gotta keep firing because you're going to miss.

I have learned recently the value of sacrificing some internal structure to heat damage to get an extra few shots.

How do exchangers work out when you measure against time-to-kill for a given mech, light, medium, heavy, assault?
In light of the above comments, I wrote this before I came back to the thread, but I'll leave it untweaked.
I'll eyeball some presumptions from the moon crab scenario for discussions sake. I'll also preface that I don't mean to gainsay your analysis without reason, I'm feeling around to find their niche because they might be fun to use sometimes. And because it's pre-holiday weekend at work and it's slow.

Let's think about a quickdraw, because those are common as dirt and show up all over the drat place, vs. Moon crab.

Exchanger crab, dumps out 250 damage per round, heatsink crab 300.
To core out the quickdraw takes 300 damage to the center torso. Point to heatsink crab, it could do it in one go by raw numbers. But damage distributes around, especially with SRMs, and you also miss sometimes which is a pretty big deal with AC20s.

Heatsink crab sends out 4 AC20 shots and some SRMs before having to cool down for a round. That's 4 chances to hit, and there's a 1/7-ish (I think? God that's a really rough approximation) chance to hit the same spot twice. Someone more versed in combinatorics'll probably correct that. If it doesn't kill the Quickdraw in the first two rounds, it'll live until the 4th and do damage in the third.

Exchanger crab has 8 chances with the AC20 before stopping, plus missiles. That's twice as many chances before stopping, or two more chances over 4 rounds (didn't want to too badly neglect heatsink crab's 4th round of firing) but it is important to note that the exchanger crab has the opportunity to kill the mech in round 3 where heatsink crab won't.

I guess the point I'm aiming for is that the exchangers look like they're bad in general, but good in a niche. I think that niche is, when you have enough to put roughly the same amount of firepower out for an extra round or two, or squeezing in that extra bit to a massive alpha. That'll kill a mech sooner because you can sustain fire longer on one spot since the game does let you position, use precision shot, etc.
AND given that a mech that isn't dead and/or missing chunks is as functional as a fresh mech, being able to put one down a round sooner because you can sustain fire in the short term seems worth building for.

As far as turning off weapons to manage heat, well... if you're not firing everything you're not firing anything. :)

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Being on the road for the holiday weekend means I won't get to play with my newfound understandings about heat exchangers for a while.
But when I come back, I just need to get one more heavy before taking on Smithon and the 'blow up the dropship' mission. I've done that one with just mediums and it's rough so I just want one more heavy to make things a bit smoother.

Even just another Jaegermech. Nothing wrong with the Jaegermech.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

sean10mm posted:

If you're new to Battletech and want to find the "trap" mechs to avoid using, look at the tons free column of this spreadsheet. Anything that's abnormally low for its weight is pretty much guaranteed to be poo poo.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fnaqQv8nnYpy9gtQm75-D6fmYfNJ5u3OALSIe8ckOuo/htmlview?sle=true

e: Don't throw away the Cyclops-Z even though it's a bit poo poo on paper, because it has the very useful Battle Computer!

#ShitGlitchSays

As a reminder to new players, losing Glitch is a campaign failure condition.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
My gut says that their financials are pretty good given that they've had three solid DLC releases, on-time, and with a high degree of polish. A sinking ship doesn't seem like it'd pull things off like that. I would wager that the gate to a sequel is a motivational one, not a financial one.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Caros posted:

...better single location damage...

I don't think this gets enough attention when discussing the various weapon effectiveness theories. Just because 2 medium lasers puts out 50 damage, and a LL++/PPC puts out 50 damage that 50 damage is going to one spot and not being distributed around over the aggregate of armor.

I had a really visceral experience with this phenomenon in my current career game. I've got a vulcan, and with the special ability I loaded up that sucker with 4 machine guns. That outputs 60 damage for zero heat and with the range of a medium laser. Fuckin' sweet!

But.

That damage is distributed around in little chunks of 3, so even though I'm throwing around PPC weight damage, it's so spread out that it's not good for actually incapacitating mechs. I burned up over half my ammo on back shots to a vindicator and didn't remove a single hit location! The damned mech stayed operational because a hit location with 1 hp is as effective as a hit location with 100hp!

So single location damage matters. Sure, 4 medium lasers hits with the same weight as an AC20, but an AC20 is waaaay more effective at disabling mechs. Having high total damage matters, but being able to put an effective amount of damage in one spot also matters. I think that's where the niche for things like the PPC and AC10, and to a lesser extent the LL, is that heavy hit to one location damage.

Preemptive counterpoint: The Hunchback 4P and SRM carrier, because enough fire volume can overcome the odds especially for side shots (RIP COIL-L vindicator).

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I'd stay on at least marginal terms with the pirates until I get the black market invite, after that point I'll use them as a punching bag. Even though everything becomes silly expensive, at least you'll have access and you can usually come up with enough cash for the items you really want.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I can't tell you how big the pile of arms blown off from an LRM boat firing in from the side is.

So big.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Plus, I don't think much of that wealth is very liquid either.
Well, the cash that the company has on hand, but even if you did get enough cash to comfortably retire, you've also got the ability to make even more cash in a lifestyle that's also fulfilling in its odd sort of way. I can totally see how a bunch of mercs keep chasing the money long after they've got enough to find a quiet tropical bungalow somewhere.

edit: Sure, you can quit, but why would you want to?

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I thought that the 'primitive' planets were more along the lines of our modern (or 1980s-ish) Earth with a drastically smaller population.
Like, they have phones and electricity and running water, but the super-advanced interstellar stuff like hovercars and missile robots are rare as gently caress.

I mean, when your neighbor can project force and resources over interstellar distances, the local business of producing a space-toyota pickup looks pretty primitive.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Fax technology is dirt simple and super robust, so a great thing to have on a sparsely populated planet where people could be really spread out.

Somewhere out there is Scientology planet, and it's weird

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I put a COIL-L on a Kintaro and it's both hot as hell and a murder machine.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Amechwarrior posted:

My pet theory I've always wanted to mod in is just make the dmg reductions rates Bulwark gives, the defaults for cover and bracing, maybe also -5% to each so battles don't take forever. Then, totally redo the Guts tree skills with something likely revolving around Coolant Vent, then going to melee (Like Juggernaut as a lvl1 ability) while you wait for CVent to chill.

Guts definitely needs to be more 'gutsy', for sure. Simple damage reduction is actually kind of counter to that attitude because how gutsy is it to take LESS damage?
There are lots of different ways to cut that knot that would make guts a skill tree (just the skills, the bonuses from simply leveling it up are fine imo) more thematic and encouraging of a certain playstyle and less a 'must-take'.
All numbers are wild-rear end-guesses.

T1 - Less criticals: 50% less chance of critical hits affecting the mech. (Lose your armor, take that damage, it won't stop you!)
T2 - Point-blank: +5-ish to-hit or +10%-ish damage or called-shots available at <90m. (Get up in their face and hit them even harder).

Or maybe make it melee focused since we already have the shooty bonuses in the gunnery tree.

T1 - Charge: Melee attack possible within sprint distance.
T2 - Double punch: Make two melee attacks if you don't move. (Really, this is a finisher, or a massive punishment for any mech that engages you in melee)

So yeah, bulwark is... nice but yeah any given skill should not be so generally useful that it makes it something that you have to take. But I do love the game so it's not like I'm not playing it nor am I grimly choosing bulwark every time either. I enjoy my gunnery/piloting focus pilots! And they tend to stay alive too!

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I have the opportunity to ally with either the Free World League (Marik) or FedSuns (Davion).
Haven't really gotten to this stage with reputation before. Should I pick one or the other? Or both?
Thinking also about getting buddy-buddy w/ Magistracy of Canopus so I can access the Bullshark.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Oh, I got a Bullshark.

oh my goodness i'm in love

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
The stock BSK-MAZ is pretty drat good with the twin UAC/5 and LBX-10's. Is there a notably better build I should look at? Because besides dropping one laser to cram on some extra armor that's pretty destructive.

I guess I could go looking for some UAC-20's, but in the meantime it wastes bozos.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Cool cool cool, next time I'm transiting systems.

My Assault Lance is 2 Highlanders, An Annihilator, and my shiny new Bullshark.

Seems suitably fearsome. No KGC yet, but that's kinda ok they're real slow.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Ok, when allied with a faction it says you're not allowed to take missions that directly oppose your ally.

However, I just allied with the FedSuns (UAC++'s!!) and I can still select a mission (and a flashpoint) that has the FedSuns as the enemy. What happens if I do those missions? Does that cancel the alliance? Is that how you cancel an alliance, by picking an ally-opposed mission?

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Picked up the Battletech Extended: Commander edition and I'm loving it so far. Had to adjust the included mods a bit to hit that stability sweet spot. I'm really appreciating the firestarter. PTN was going on about them in an LP thread, and now that back at the beginning I've had to scrimp and save and run on just lights (and a Phoenix Hawk) the punchy death that is the firestarter is extremely notable.

It's interesting, that the mod opens up the whole inner sphere for a map, but when it comes down to it the Aurigan reach is still the best place to hang out. 6 factions right in the neighborhood to play with, plus I think flashpoints only spawn down there anyway.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
hope you maxed the salvage slider

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Ah, well, that's how it goes (very) sometimes.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

alex314 posted:

I saw some discussion of MW5 a few page back. I've recently bought it and started playing, and so far I'm having fun. Spawns are pretty weird, but the same can be said about BT. Your lancemates aren't terrible too, at least compared to most games with AI teammates I can recall.

I'll take this to the MW:5 thread, but how does the game feel? My last Mech-sim that I really enjoyed was mechwarrior 3, which really captured the ponderous stompyness of the mechs even with the lighter ones. However, if it's strongly multiplayer focused I may still give it a pass since I'm pretty picky about my multiplayer gametime.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Cool thanks, looks like I'll put it on my watchlist and see how I feel if/when it comes up on a sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Dwarf fortress with battlemechs