Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

New OP is cool and good, much like this game is looking to be.

I'm working my way through the second novella right now -- so far pretty average and enjoyable in an airport-fiction sense. Besides them only mentioning the words "Aurigan Reach" literally once so far though, I'm sorta not sure how this actually ties into the storyline of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Yo OP, maybe should also link to PTN's Battletech LP thread because it's a goddamn masterpiece of the setting.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Wonder if the Backerkit email containing the beta info will be sent out 1-2 days after the KS backers get it, because that's how updates always are :sigh:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

:f5:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Looks like they gave out some copies a bit early to streamers so they can put up videos immediately: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpz-oX3gKys

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Only got about 15 minutes to play the game so far because of sleep/work, but man it's pretty great. I'm really looking forward to getting back home so I can do more stomping.

I feel like the load times are pretty excessive though, but maybe that was just because it was my first time running it. The general feel of the game is fantastic though, and I'm looking forward to queueing up the Mechwarrior 2/3 soundtracks to play while I shoot robots.

Edit: is there any sort of implementation of tabletop-style rules for lights regarding how far you move factoring into some kind of defensive bonus? I just instinctively make my lights go as far and as fast as I can because my brain equates that with enemies having a to-hit penalty on them.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

JacksLibido posted:

Right now there's all these mountains and cliffs and friggn' plateau things jutting out of the ground that make my dudes seem small and really not all that giant stompy robot-y...

This much is at least really true, the proportions between mechs and the terrain feels a bit out of whack.

That being said, it also does feel pretty close to this so.....

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I forget, we are still getting tanks, right? Or did that fall out of scope for this game?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Q_res posted:

Outside of SA, you'll get a handful of people bitching about but they're a stark minority. They get a lot of slack from their fanbase. I guess between the SR games and their openness they've built a lot of trust.

It's also a bit of a breath of fresh air to have someone trustworthy, transparent, and forward-facing with a good track record doing something with the Battletech franchise for a change.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Sky Shadowing posted:

Heads up, there is activity on SteamDB relating to BattleTech.

I very very much doubt release is imminent (they want to market I'd guess) but a simultaneous launch of preorders and the release date might be realistic.

My memory from that time's really hazy, but didn't they release Shadowrun Returns pretty suddenly?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Taintrunner posted:

Yeah I played my first game of Battletech tabletop this week and the thrill of forcing a Thor standing atop a mountain into forced retreat with an incredibly lucky rocket salvo in the opening turns was the best goddamn feeling. So now I have like 30 BT miniatures sitting on my desk, oh lord.

Alpha Strike or Total Warfare?

I'm getting a weird itch to play on MegaMekNET again or something now.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

My Steam just popped up with a notification that pre-orders are now open, retail price 40 (here in Europe at least), release date is "April" (with no specific day).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So these things? Awesome. :neckbeard:

Man those things were THE. poo poo. at Dave & Buster's back in the day.

They even ran a league with club regulars. People got really, really into it, and I think some of the club people even incorporated their game of the Mechwarrior tabletop RPG into it in some quasi-LARP thing.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The game is based in the early 3000s (3020something, I think?) so the Clans have not invaded yet. Additionally, the game is based on the opposite side of the inner sphere from where the clans invade.

This one is 3025, and Mechwarrior 5 from PGS (assuming it comes out) is set in 3015.

This of course isn't stopping PGS from including Mechs in their game that haven't even been built yet in 3015, like the Raven.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Skoll posted:

Steam games usually release on Tuesdays, so my money is on the 24th honestly.

This isn't hard and fast though, and Paradox also does Thursday releases about as often as Tuesdays.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

This game has sucked the joy out of my MekHQ AtB game because I just want to be playing HBS instead.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

PGI isn't doing their Mechwarrior 5 project in Cryengine too, are they?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

hooman posted:

The destruction physics of that building in the bottom left being in a sizzle reel for destruction physics is :pgi:

This looks like an Xbox 360 game. It's tragic.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

PTN, please tell me you have that entire LP backed up somewhere for posterity. I've been playing catch-up on that thread for years and I'm still not close to getting current.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

OB_Juan posted:

Would it be wrong to burn a sick day to play battletech?

I mean, how many do you get per year?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

sebmojo posted:

there's a free robot for anyone who logs into MWO until May 1. I think they're at a good place at the moment, so I hope the HBS btech does good things for them.

At the risk of things diving too far into MWO chat: I just reinstalled for the first time since that update that changed how skills work, and I got 91 free slots or whatever on my HBK-4G. I filled all 91 slots with stuff. Then after a few matches with it, I've got enough XP to be able to unlock some more... but apparently I can only have 91 total filled skill slots? I'm able to purchase others, but then I go over this weird slot limit, and I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing because PGI can't design a functional UI to save their lives.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Phrosphor posted:

Mechlab stuff

Is there a utility/web app out there already for building mechs with HBS's mechanics, or are did you just use an MWO mech lab site to get a rough idea of builds?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I've been watching Cringer's Battletech streams and he's been pretty okay to watch. He's not really a Battletech guy, more of a Paradox all-rounder.

Checked out DasTactic's LP on Youtube too and couldn't make it very far in. As soon as someone sees the pronoun choice during character creation and says anything resembling "ugh political correctness is at it again!" I just immediately tune out.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Anyone know what the requirements are for putting in a custom logo? Like resolution, etc.

SpaceDrake posted:

For real though, I kind of suspect Austin and Rob at Waypoint are on to something, and this game, the revamped tabletop box set, and Mechwarrior 5 are all kind of avoiding the Clans for a reason.

Eh, I dunno about the new box set so much. The last one (and the one before it) were also all 3025 tech, minus a couple clan mechs that were added as a bonus as a make-good for the lovely quality control on the previous version.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Even though the new intro box is using Classic Battletech rules (for better or worse), it occurred to me while watching videos of the HBS game that Jordan and the team probably designed the game to work as a groundwork for establishing a streamlined version of the tabletop. Not fully modernized (because it's Battletech), but you can see the framework for a new edition there.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Didn't see this posted here yet but I love how the company customization screen has a tiny little miniature painting station :3:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

SpaceDrake posted:

It's especially funny because the Reddit, of all places, is being really cool about it. Most posters don't give a poo poo or support the idea, and attempts to troll about it get called out and shut down prior to getting removed.

I'm the only active mod of /r/battletech and I took a lot of satisfaction in locking the most recent trollthread about the pronoun dropdown. The community response against the most recent rear end in a top hat was really surprising and comforting, considering the Battletech community is infamous for its grognardary.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Magni posted:

The Mechlabs' and Barracks' have the TT and RPG Mech/Character sheets on the screens respectively. :allears:

This is amazing. <3

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Pharnakes posted:

Do we know when the preloading is going to open up? Also what the actual release time is?

Release time should be 09:00 PST on Tuesday. I imagine preload is probably around the same time today.

Wouldn't be surprised if PDX runs a going-live stream at 17:00 CEST for an hour, and ends it with the Pushing Of The Button. That's what they usually do.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

https://twitter.com/BATTLETECH_Game/status/988442005964574721

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hanse Davion was probably gay. Maximillian Liao seriously considered spreading rumors to that affected before deciding they wouldn't have actually discredited Hanse in any way because "Oh right, nobody in the Inner Sphere would care."

I've only read one complete BT novel (Sword and the Dagger) and it made much more sense to me when I assumed Ardan Sortek and Hanse Davion are gay for each other in a Lord Reinhard/Kircheis kinda way.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

rt4 posted:

How big was the download? How much space does it use on disk?

8.6GB and ~24 GB respectively.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So in the last couple days I've burned through the first two of the Stackpole novellas that are supposed to tie in with this game. I have absolutely no idea -how- they're supposed to tie into this game though, beyond being set in the same general area of space as the Aurigan Coalition.

Overall they're not awful, but not good either. Only once so far do I remember reading the words "molten rivulets", but with Stackpole I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So am I just a dumbass or:

SA Battletech Discord #rules-and-info channel posted:

[8:33 AM] TT: To begin, head on over to #auth-waiting-room and run !help authme to learn how to authenticate your goony self. Completing the auth process will grant you access to the rest of this server's channels.

There... is no #auth-waiting-room channel on this server......

Edit: I assume some kind soul manually-auth'd me because apparently now I'm able to chat in the locked channels. :iiam:

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 24, 2018

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I watched the Waypoint intro stream last night. I'm hoping they do more Battletech stuff with Austin and Rob. Austin has at least a passing knowledge of the lore, but Rob apparently Knows His poo poo and is great for looking back at the lore from a modern, critical perspective.

And they get a lot of grognards upset by using words like "problematic", which is a plus in my book.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I think probably the more likely scenario isn't a reboot so much as it is applying liberal use of tactical retconning to... smooth out the rougher points of the old canon.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Junkenstein posted:

EDIT: RPS - "Boring".

They call it "Mehwarrior" in the tagline.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/04/24/battletech-review-pc/

He can't get past the pacing of animations, it seems like.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

PC Gamer gave it 85/100, haven't seen other major reviews yet besides these three.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Regarde Aduck posted:

‘Tweeness’ is also highly valued.

post/avatar combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

bongwizzard posted:

To me, XCOM is about the perfect balance between guys zipping everywhere at hyperspeed or slowly plodding from one piece of cover to the next.

The indication is that the animations are too slow for many people.

But honestly what can you expect from a game where you are piloting slow, plodding mechs? Gundam this ain't, and Battletech's design philosophy when it comes to its stompy robits is that they move with plodding deliberation.