Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

You get one for pre ordering.

Theres still the maintenance costs from singleplayer and the MV limit in skirmish limiting their use. Even at 25mv I dont think you can run two of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Several games in and I still have no idea what the "inspire" button does.

School Nickname posted:

You can't fool me I've played all the Shadowrun games, anything less than 95% probability is done a d4 or higher dice, depending on the bracket. :downs:

The hit probability in this game is drat lies. It doesnt seem to include things like the enemies cover, movement, or evasion from sprinting or skills.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Prism posted:

Per the manual:

Theres a manual? :monocle:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Rygar201 posted:

Evasive isn't a to hit malus, it's a chance for the targeted 'mech to Dodge the shots.

I dont like to keep bringing up XCOM comparisons, but XCOM includes enemy abilities in its hit calculations. That number by your weapons should be the be all, end all of how likely a shot is to actually do damage. Otherwise it just confuses and annoys player who will keep missing on 95s even though the final number is closer to a 45.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

isildur posted:

seriously look at the tooltip for a weapon's hit percentage and you'll see how the shot difficulty breaks down. Like, what specific factors are going in to the percentage you see.

This is all well and good. Consider this: How many people are going to actually do that vs how many people aren't going to know its there and complain about how the game is cheating/numbers are wrong/etc on the internet?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Evasives problem is that it does too much for too little. An effective 50 percent reduction in damage just for moving is really really really good. Bulwark requires you to stand still, sensor lock requires not shooting, multi target splits damage, angel of death requires you to do a risky DFA. Evasive gives you a bonus for doing something you were going to do anyway.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

DatonKallandor posted:

Well yeah the Evasive Pilot talent is too good, but still countered by sensor lock - and there's only one pilot that has it

The full game will almost certainly have more pilots and the UI has slots for up to 3 more pilot sklils, meaning someone could have evasive and other skills. A hard counter thats only useful because another skill is so good is boring and means you HAVE to take it. This also adds another level of what makes evasive so good: it means at least one opponent isn't returning fire that round.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Eldragon posted:

Which is basically the opposite of the original Battletech lore: Where life is cheap and mechs are expensive.

A pilot is cheap and easy to find. A skilled pilot not so much. If your only goal is filling a seat, sure, but a quality shooter with a full set of skills? Not so much.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

XCOM was the only game to survive the franchise wars. Now all video games are XCOM.

Maybe if they'd taken cover they'd have lived. :colbert:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

My last few games have been focused on keeping my lights alive and generally getitng a feel for the Good Ones. Its pretty hard but here are my thoughts on the matter:

The missile locust owns and with evasive can pepper missile on a target in safety for the entire fight.
The MG locust is a trap because it makes you think you should use those machine guns. You will die doing this. Do not use it.
The commando 2d has a similar problem of tempting you into suicidal situations but makes a great late-game sweeper because SRMs are so good. Good sensor lock candidate.
The other commando is poo poo and i keep forgetting it exists. Dont use it.
The panther is hosed by the PPC being poo poo and its slow. Just a worse jenner right now. The 9R in PNT-9R stands for "Dont use it".
The jenner is good but runs really hot if you want to use the jump jets. Give it sensor lock so you can cool off for a turn without being useless.
Urbanmechs are disgustingly effective snipers and complement bulwark heavies and assaults very nicely. Angel of Death candidates, obviously.

These are my opinions on robots thank you for reading

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

XCOM chat reminded me for whatever reason: do we know if it's possible to bust through buildings to take risky shortcuts and or be badass as hell? Destructable environments are key to any xclone.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Evasive rebalance chat: instead of a passive skill, make it something that's activated for your initial movement. It functions exactly like the Move action but provides a penalty to your shooting, should you choose to shoot after activating it. So it's still very useful but now has a drawback like the other pilot skills.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It might be an outlier but thats not necessarily a bad thing. It would directly nerf its usefulness on heavier mechs since it would cut their damage output significantly seeing as they typically carry more guns. Lights would remain less affected seeing as they rarely have much more than a brace of medium lasers anyway. It also offers tactical versatility which is more fun and engaging as a player. Do you play more defensively and provide intel for your other mechs or do you take the risk of having half your mech blown apart but cause more damage?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Here have a real marauder

This looks awful. Why is everything so lanky and awkward looking?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Phrosphor posted:

Hot from the new brown sea, a pubbies dream:

Patently ridiculous. We all know no brown sea poster will ever be that close to a woman.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'll be honest, I'd pay $20 for a MWO warhorn that went "SQUAK" when you killed someone.

The Jade Falcon war horn is already in the game and costs like 3 bucks.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Skoll posted:

That's why I just flat out ignore Viva. :jjerkbag

lol if you don't have viva on ignore already.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

aniviron posted:

Their take on this seems to be similar to what my gut reaction is. Especially by trying to include very dissimilar designs like the Atlas as part of their case, HG is essentially claiming that it owns all robot stuff; hopefully, their overreach gets them badly burned in this suit. Not just for the sake of Battletech as a property, but given how litigious HG is, it seems likely that they would start going after other makers of mech stuff if a 400-year-old Reagan judge agrees "Yeah you pretty much just own the idea of giant robots."

If they tried to claim ownership of the concept of giant robots Im pretty sure Sunrise would stomp them out sooner or later.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Psion posted:

I'm not surprised the loudest complaints all come down to "but my beta 1 meta of a scout and 3 LRM boats isn't the best anymore!"

Battletech players are the most resistant to change out of any group of gamers I've ever seen.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

My only fear is that when these are inevitably added that most of the public games will be skirmish because people just LOVE their no objective death match for reasons I can't fathom.

Objectives mean their carefully honed team of fast edge campers lose the advantage. And since that's The Meta it is clearly what all future balance decisions should be based on. Having to think and use strategy is scary and means a potential loss, so it must be avoided at all costs.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

This game doesn't seem to have TACs so ammo is significantly less risky than in tabletop.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Yo is this game ever coming out or what?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Phrosphor posted:

I love the flappy arms. I wonder if it posed an interesting challenge for HBS to get working properly. 90% of mechs can just use a default human skeleton for animation but the stalker and interesting the Jenner and Raven need unique skeletons.

It's a shame we can't tell the game to use the Jenners animation rig for the stalker, I bet that would deal with ol' flappy arms.

(Also, you can define the types of melee attacks that mechs can make, you should add right and left arm punches to the Stalkers list, I can't remember where it is defined. The Stalker punching with those wings would be great!)

It can't be that different from the catapult or Jenner. They likely just hadn't gotten to it by the time the beta was out.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

At some point PGI started designing mechs with hit boxes and density in mind and the mechs took a turn for the worse. This was probably around the introduction of the clan mechs, most of them are fugly as hell. I think the last mech I looked at and thought it looked great was the Urbanmech. They mostly make nearly identical manbots or boxy chicken walkers. Only outlier I can think of off hand was the Uziel, which is like someone looked at a cataphract, thought it looked good, but wondered what it would be like if they made it not good.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It mostly hosed the Awesome for some reason. Catapult and that one clan mech with the laser hands benefited massively. I don't think any other mechs were seriously affected though.

Edit : oh right. Lights and the shadow hawk. Forgot about them.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Game never coming out, PGI bad, harmony gold worse.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

They are all babies and that's hilarious. Glad they moved, the hbs forums were awful, especially on mobile.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Update on the HG vs pgi suit:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u_j_BhX5NWUcwNdj8Ud-Oy3NYN0-srkg/view?usp=drivesdk

Tldr: gently caress off HG

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Back Hack posted:

No way in hell HG is winning this and they know it.

E: Can't believe I'm rooting for :pgi: on something.

Its evil vs bad. If pgi win hard enough this may be a win for the macross franchise as well.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

quote:

Harmony Gold filed its motion one day after Piranha served on Harmony Gold a draft motion for sanctions under Fed. R.
Civ. P. 11
relating to the false claims of copyright ownership appearing

I had to look this one up and now that Im not on mobile I finally can. This is a motion for sanctions against the opposing lawyer or firm. PGI going for the loving throat on this one. :stare:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Aramoro posted:

Anything less than a full Steel Battalion is a betrayal to these people.

This is how I played Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries and I loved every giant nerd second of it.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

Less pedantic

Fewer pedantic

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Xarbala posted:

Living that particular BT fantasy does however cut you off from a decent chunk of the game's features. (Though the really ridiculous fantasy is a small merc company managing to stay solvent while owning a Leopard.)

Just speculation on the story mode, but it's possible the leopard is owned by the royalty you're working for and will be sold after the games events. With fuel and maintenance and poo poo covered by your employer it isn't that big of a stretch, especially if they already had it. That said my knowledge of the story mode is the first couple of YouTube videos cohh played

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

DatonKallandor posted:

Do the Crabs claws have any special quirk/gameplay impacts?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Man, shame on ALL of you for not posting the high point of Mechwarrior intro cinematics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4JvnQXv9UY

Think of the bright side kid. . . you get to keep all the money.

edit: also thematically appropriate for the new game.

This hooked me so hard on the game the first time I saw it. So good. :allears:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Its happening!

in 13 minutes when it finishes decrypting

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Why is this, btw? Why not automate it?

Flipping switches is fun

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

Extremely same, but mostly because as good as giffed clips are I love the level of absurdity that the actual combat logs can produce, like this one:

I still have that ten page log of the time you shot a fuel tank and it blew up half the map saved somewhere. Combat logs own. :v:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I've yet to have a pilot survive the mech being shot out from under them. Is it even possible?

Speaking of Glitch, whoever did that voice sounds really familiar but I can't place it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Dreadwroth posted:

Just imagine the murder if you put Glitch in an actually good mech.

I lost her on Weldry. :smith:

I considering restarting because of it.