Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Skoll posted:

Will never not be cool.

it's goofy but also kind of unsettling which is why I think it works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Feindfeuer posted:

Shadowplay does not want to recognize the Battletech process for me :smith:

So this Scout vs Scout engagement had to be recorded with GoonCam.

That little hop-step the Vindy does is awesome

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Kanos posted:

I'm only basing this off watching streams, but it feels weird that evasive move is just as effective when used on an Atlas as on a Locust.

This could be the MWO player in me talking but maybe "evasion" on assaults or heavies could function as kind of active twisting? less likely for multiple shots to hit the same component/more likely to hit shield arms due to the pilot twisting to spread damage on incoming fire?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Something I've noticed: my winning battles tend to end with my lightest mechs extremely hosed up or dead and my heaviest ones almost pristine. My Atlases rarely get touched. Anyone else have the same experience? I'm wondering if the AI prioritizes getting kills on smaller 'mechs or if I'm just getting them into trouble with my positioning -- although even when I have Jenners and the like come in on wide flanks the AI tends to focus on them.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

The AI seems to have 2 priorities: getting the highest To-Hit number it can, and eliminating the easiest target it can find. It will absolutely try to eliminate a light `Mech immediately if it can to deprive you of numbers (smart) but I have a feeling the reason why evasive isn't factored into the hit percentages is because the AI would take one look at a 45% to-hit and say "nope" and never fire at an evasive target if it had other targets available (dumb).

That makes sense. I also wonder if AI behavior will change in an actual campaign mission.

Like, OK, if I'm the AI and I'm programmed to act like an actual OpFor, and I've lost half my mechs and the enemy still has a pristine assault and heavy on the battlefield, I might decide that retreating in good order is way preferable to spiting the player by DFAing a Locust. Of course that could change depending on if I'm set up to act like, say, the Death Commandos.

It kind of reminds me of a game of Medieval II: Total War that I played where Egypt kept on sending whole armies to be slaughtered to a man at the gates of one of my cities. They kept doing that even as the Mongols showed up and started devouring their empire. I kind of realized that the AI was set up to try to make me lose as opposed to acting semi-rationally and quit after that.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Rhymenoserous posted:

The real X-com option is the rookie then immediately gets psi-panicked and drops the stun grenade next to the squad.

God, imagine Battletech with a panic mechanic

panicked AC/20 shots in your back all day

edit: wait isildur DO NOT READ

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
dang, stock Kintaros in the beta are p. powerful. a little hot but 3 SRM6s is no joke

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, they're also pretty fast. If you put someone with the initiative skill in them they essentially become a REALLY mean light and are great for ambushing and shooting butts.

If they have the -3M Griffin I'm really looking forward to recreating the MWO murdermachine build of 4 SRM4 (or 4 SRM6) and jump jets. I think it could be brutal in this game

Rocketpriest posted:

Mediums in general seem like they're pretty great in the beta - it's probably the first Battletech-based game ever where the old 'workhorse of the Inner Sphere' description of mediums feels like it might be true. In most mechwarrior games they're a stepping stone to heavies that you pass through as quickly as is convenient, and I remember trying to get away from them pretty quick in the mechcommander games too. But here the roster is really solid, with the Centurians, Hunchbacks, Kintaro, and Trebuchet being real outstanding units for the price/weight. Just park a Hunch 4P in a river and enjoy the light show.

The -4G is legit scary with the AC/20. Considering how quality the AC/10 is in this game I could really see some good medium skirmisher builds centered around them

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

You'll never cram all that poo poo on without endo, ferro , dhs, etc.

ah dang you're right

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Phrosphor posted:

You can check it out in a video shortly!

badass

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

:shrug: I just want a Punchback and fitting a smaller gun into a hardpoint sounds logical on a really simple level to me.

If they ever put the Charger in the game it'll probably be the closest thing to this

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

School Nickname posted:

Just let the Evasive skill allow a dude to shoot after sprinting maybe? Might force a SRM boat to go out further than he'd like to gain evasive, or expose himself. I really like the penalty to shooting idea though.

I like this a lot. maybe there's an additional skill that lets you use your melee attack at the end of a sprint with bonus damage (so long as it's in a straight line)?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Try it with a Kintaro. Speedy SRM bomber medium moving with the lights is pretty sweet.

The fact that the Kintaro is a Good Mech (maybe even a Great Mech) in this game is really messing up the part of me that remembers playing MWO.

Shoot, when I see an Orion it actually worries me because that thing is no joke now.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

vorebane posted:

I want the Screamer by Uncle Stevie to be dlc.

you know somewhere down the line there's gonna be a full Demon Hawks campaign and it's gonna own

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
why's the TT Shadow Hawk a bad robbit?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
those are interesting explanations! it kinda sounds like the MWO problem of trying to make your mech do so many things that it sucks at everything.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Nooo, animes are ok, but Jordan has to make a new Crimson Skies game still!

A Crimson Skies game in the vein of a Mechwarrior Mercenaries game would own VERY HARD

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Once I was playing Medieval II as the Turks and was locked in this weird death spiral with Egypt where they'd send a 2,000-man army to Iconium every three turns, which would get absolutely wiped out, and then they demanded that I surrender.

Their entire economy was dedicated in essence to throwing doomed men at this one city I owned, which in turn meant that I couldn't do much else other than defend it. The Mongols invaded and they *kept doing it* even as their entire Eastern holdings were boatmurdered by guys named "Batu the Cruel."

Basically I don't like when an AI does that, because then you know there's a switch called "don't try to win, try to make the player lose" and it's permanently set to "on."

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Dear HBS,

Please make a sequel to Starsiege as your next game.

Thank you.

oh poo poo

TRIBES of all things had an extremely active RP/lore community for quite some time (I know this because teenage me was very into it). There's a great game that 2500 people would play somewhere in the old Firetruce packets

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Crimson Skies: Mercenaries would own so hard

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

So what I'm seeing from this is that SRM Carriers and Demolishers are Kill-On-Sight

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Its like you don't even know the setting! :v:

goddamn that would be sweet

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Section Z posted:

No see, treating my herd of Argus mechs as a unit of currency is more authentic because I can have my clantech-I mean, uh...

Though yes, for all the concessions we get so we can, you know, have fun. HBS Btech is probably the most paying your space bills heavy video game yet, isn't it?

"I blew up my Blackjack. It's gonna take 45 days to repair, during which time nothing else can be worked on. My protagonist is in the hospital for 60 days. Help."

"Sir, we salvaged a Timber Wolf! It's not even heavily damaged, so we can utilize this amazing piece of advanced tech as soon as --"

"yeah OK whatever, sell it in bulk with the rest of them"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Eej posted:

How are you gonna do that if the Hatchetman isn't in

Goddamn I hope they have a melee DLC with the Hatchetman/Axman/etc.

Let me give that one extremely punch Banshee a club too

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Alchenar posted:

I mean they're trying to procedurally generate an FPS and anyone remotely competent who has ever tried that has very rapidly gone 'nope, that was a terrible idea' and redrafted their design doc.

Yeah this alone will make it a no-buy for me. It's fine to have random missions but if they're not crafting an actual MW4-style campaign then it's going to be v. bad.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Dramicus posted:

I think the general consensus in the grognard community is that they don't want a linear campaign with a story. They just want a sandbox to larp their mary-sue wolf's dragoons merc unit in.

as usual they are v. wrong, dropping into procedurally-generated missions over and over again is gonna feel hollow without some kind of actual narrative

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Zore posted:

Nope, still can't be a godlike of Hylea :(

Can't even get a pet birb as a Ranger even though we know they programmed a bird companion in for Maia. :negative:

Oh hey, someone else who's checking both the PoE: Deadfire and Battletech threads

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

That Italian Guy posted:

By the way OP, you may want to add this to the first post: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fnaqQv8nnYpy9gtQm75-D6fmYfNJ5u3OALSIe8ckOuo/edit#gid=1844655663

It's all the stats for all the mechs in the game, so don't open it if you don't want to get spoiled!

The Grasshopper and Banshee-3M both have six support hardpoints, good speed, 4 available JJ slots, and good melee damage so they look very much like your go-to late-game punchbots. You can load up on MLs with their 7/8E hardpoints to have something to do while you close the gap.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Grasshopper: top-tier punchbot

https://clips.twitch.tv/ImportantOilyDragonfruitYouDontSay

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Is there a bug where if a mech is completely untouched during a mission it ends it with all the armor stripped and the structure undamaged? Happened once or twice to me on mechs I know I kept out of the fight.

Not a huge deal. Game's fun!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I refitted the starting SHD into an SRM bomber and I like it very muchly. Now I just have to find a market with an AC/10 or AC/20 and I can do a pick-and-roll with the Centurion you get in one of the story missions

is there something like smurfy's mech builder for this game? or I guess smurfy's would work if you just keep the engines/structure stock and just fiddle

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Vargatron posted:

"They" seems like such a dumb thing to get mad over, especially since you can, like, not choose it if it doesn't apply to you.

"I am in a noble Forever War against the evil SJWs" is a fantastic replacement for a personality

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Had a "defend this supply depot" mission at 2 skulls where the opposition was:

Kintaro
Wolverine
Griffin
2 Locusts
THREE GODDAMN HUNCHBACK-4Ps
2 Vindicators
2 Tanks

Three lances!

FORTUNATELY my commander was in a Centurion with an AC/10++ and headshot a Hunchie and a Locust and the buildings the rest of them were attacking were v. hardy and they were attacking uphill, but boy, that's a siege and a half right there. I got out of it with zero casualties, too

then the next mission with only a lovely lance of locusts guarding a VIP, said VIP (a paper-armor Shadow Hawk) punched through poor Behemoth's cockpit on turn 2 :(

Game great btw

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
What's a good Thunderbolt build? Right now I've 6 ML and an LRM20++ on it but I feel like there's a better option out there

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Flavius Belisarius posted:

Jenners are named after Bruce Jenner because they run fast, aren't they

makes sense once you realize there's mech based off the Jenner called the [Jesse] Owens

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
a lot of the lovely designs of stock mechs kinda feel like a deliberate effort to recreate the fact that real-life militaries field a lot of awful designs for reasons ranging from "the tech wasn't there to support the idea yet" to "someone got their palms greased to cut corners."

case in point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I think my next project in this game will be to scout the Reach for as many KS backer pilots as possible and send out the ones with super-creepy bios as a damage-soak in a mech loaded with ammo they can't use

that one dude who is like "if only he could stop loving women BUT HE CAN'T" gets a zero-head armor/ammo in head special

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

The Saddest Robot posted:

I hope mechs eventually get the ability to equip giant axes and maces and poo poo.

Battletax:

Hatchetman would be legit kind of nasty in this game? AC/10, 2 MLs, 4 JJs, 4/6 movement and a shitload of melee damage

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

sandoz posted:

i'm drowning in dragons what do i do with these piles of garbage

remember how in MW4: Mercs you got so many Arguses that they were basically a form of currency?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

HORMELCHILI posted:

People dont like the laser hunchback? That thing has been a staple of my lance so far, it chews through mechs and can take a fair amount of hits too

laser hunchback owns hard SO LONG AS you keep your left side facing the enemy

the AI is bad about this and it becomes very easy to blow right through the hunch and then they're reduced to 1 ML/1 SL

Jack2142 posted:

I think the initiative system hurt dragons bad, I remember in a couple mechtek games I played they were solid, well at least my preferred PPC version.

In this in MW:O (due to hitboxes) they are kinda garbo.

maybe they could be saved with equipment? say, a 1-2 ton Thing that you can only place on 40/60/80 tonners that moves them one slot up in the initiative order?

Would hugely benefit Dragons, Quickdraws, Cicadas, Victors, Zeuses (the Awesome is fine because of it PPC hurler niche)

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Section Z posted:

Oh thank god this wasn't just my imagination for being one of the few things I remember from my playthrough.

Castle was your secret company MVP because she somehow negotiated crazy salvage rights on every mission, to the point where you'd be pulling down hellaciously valuable clantech like Mad Cats and Lokis and just immediately offloading them because you're swimming in Fafnirs and Annihilators and the like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Jabor posted:

This is especially applicable if you're making a game for grognards, who tend to have a lot of their identity and sense of self-worth wrapped up in their own perception of their intelligence.

90% of the folks who play Mechwarrior Online are Dads, and 90% of those Dads are Tactical Dads who babble incessantly about FLANKING and SUPPRESSIVE FIRE and FOX 2 FOX 2 FOX 2

they usually die while trying a brilliant flank 1000m away from their teammates in a Dire Wolf and blame their teammates for it