Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
What are you talking about, the Assassin was specially designed to engage and kill 20 ton bug mechs. as slowly as humanly possible apparently...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

anakha posted:

If you're playing 3049 onwards, the MAD-5M is a nice jumpy sniper though.

This is extremely true. I run a Coolant Vent/Sure Footing pilot in mine with Full JJs, 4 +10 dmg MLs and dual UAC/5s and it is crazy nasty.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Nexus introduced the idea of "collections", so user can slap together their own collections of mods. Part of this is now mod creators can't delete things they upload. Also, to some extent collections are paywalled. Which has caused a bit of "trying to monetize our work without supporting us" backlash.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

New Discord link in the OP as the old one is now gone forever.

https://discord.gg/2HPsdKSyyD

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

idk why I can never bounce back to this game when the DLCs are on sale.

Can they integrate in an in-progress campaign?

If you're talking the Campaign with Kamea and everything, yes but Flashpoints won't start appearing until after you finish the story. Though there is a mod floating around that fixes that. If you're playing the more freeform Career it integrates even better, no mods necessary.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Its mediocrity might be forgivable if it didn't manage to somehow run worse than Cyberpunk 2077.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

One thing MW5 doesn't get enough credit for is just how well it excels at being an extremely chill, laidback co-op experience. Between not having idiot AI teammates shooting you in the back constantly (at least, not as much :v:), the fact that you don't have to worry about DPS vs burst and TTK and all that bullshit MWO entails. It's loving perfect if you just want to sit in discord, drink, shoot the poo poo and blow poo poo up with Mechs.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

MW5 can be really fun but you need to mod it pretty heavily. I’m not talking sit like clan weapons (although if you want to go hog wild) I’m talking poo poo like the better spawns mod and a few AI ones.

I can make a list in a few days when I get home.l, but if you just sort by popularity on nexus you’ll get most of the biggies.

How braindead the AI is, especially at launch but even to this day, cannot be overstated. My first playthrough I got a Royal Highlander super early. After a while, once I got some Heavies, I kept losing the Gauss arm every mission. I started using AC/10s despite having like 2 Gauss Rifles in storage because it was a guaranteed loss every drop. Put one of my lancemates in a Warhammer, HUD scramble let me know he was spending roughly half of every mission unloading PPCs in my back/arm.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I hope the cutscenes of your Leopard docking with the Jumpship show 3 or 4 (or however many are appropriate based on how many spots you buy) Leopards following you and hooking up to the other docking collars.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah this isn't normal behavior.

You've got something hosed.

Yeah your mod is loving something up. Normally they're too eager to shoot, I genuinely lost count of how many times I lost the gauss arm in my Royal Highlander to being shot in the back by friendly AI.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Oh I know, I tell people that mod is basically mandatory

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

I didn't start using it until relatively recently because I was kinda fine with the simplified mechlab and had no idea it was packed so full of other QOL upgrades.

I was actually referring to the No Friendly Fire mod Stravag mentioned. I've not really messed with YAML.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Haven't played Battletech since release and going to give the game another shot soon. Any mods y'all recommend? I'm guessing YAML is for mechwarrior and not battletech?

Your big 3 are Battletech Extended: Commander's Edition (BTX) which is basically just the game with extra stuff. Up to and including Clan Mechs. Battletech Advanced (BTA) is a little more changed from Vanilla than BTX is and comes highly recommended for people who want a new HBStech experience. Then there's Roguetech. It kind of takes the "kitchen sink" approach to mod design, which isn't a good thing or a bad thing inherently, it's a very different experience but the people who like it really like it. It makes a lot of things closer to tabletop than vanilla but also adds a bunch of stuff that doesn't even exist in TT iirc.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

My man, are you drunkposting? This is not going well for you right now.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Scorched Earth is literally an improved version of Demolition that was added when the first DLC came out. Targeted Kill has the same relationship with Assassination. Why they added them as separate mission types is a loving mystery, my suspicion is that it somehow broke the campaign.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Yang is just a tech who's good at his job, Murad is the one Comstar would be worried about... unless she's one of them.

Dr. Murad is 100% a ComStar plant and nobody will ever convince me otherwise. That's why I think the actual fate of your Mercenary Company may end up being joining the ComGuard.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

They’ve already confirmed it’s not Battletech 2.

I believe last we heard it was something “horror” related but beyond that no details of note.

When they announced End of Development for Battletech they said they were working on two non-Battletech projects. I wonder if we'll hear about both.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Kesper North posted:

I thought he was a clanner, and Word of Blake didn't exist yet?

It's this, btw.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Third World Reagan posted:

To fix a statement

if anyone is a fan of any faction in battle tech, you should side eye them

As far as major factions go, yeah this is pretty spot on. They really only differ in the specific ways that they suck.

Hating a specific faction is totally fine though.
gently caress you Kurita

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

They had to license from PGI, who is already licensing from Microsoft.

It's possible PGI was just asking too much.

You sure about that? I seem to recall at the time HBS licensed directly from Microsoft, but I could be getting that confused with people who mistakenly thought PGI owned the MechWarrior license outright for some reason.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Warad posted:

Speaking of MW5, there's been a major leak on its future today with a PCGamer cover story of the next DLC

https://www.reddit.com/r/battletech/comments/16iuo7p/somene_call_a_plumber_cuz_we_got_a_big_leak/

It's Clans

Minor correction, they've said this is going to be a standalone title, it's not a DLC for the existing MW5: Mercs.

Kanos posted:

"destroy/protect a bizarrely square base/town located in the middle of nowhere with no connecting infrastructure".

Don't forget the part where it's not scaled remotely correctly for your Mechs to be fighting in/around. Something MW4 did much better, along with more robust lance commands and better AI.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 15, 2023

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Hey just a head's up, Battletech Mercenary Collection is on sale on Steam right now. Mercenary Collection is the Digital Deluxe Edition + all 3 DLCs and right now it's 80% off. Just in case there's anyone that hasn't picked this up yet.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/20974/BATTLETECH_Mercenary_Collection/

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Griddle of Love posted:

Hmm, wonder if that's even worth it since I'm only missing UW, HM and Digital Deluxe, and UW and HM have Mixed reviews, and the DD stuff is worthless to me.

You can buy UW and HM a la carte for $10 each. I'd recommend going that route and they're worth the money imo.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

GDC Demo trailer for MW5: Clans just dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVTs2chsIXE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

they showcased scanning as a killer feature

They did? They barely showed off scanning and I suspect mostly because of the visual homage to Enhanced Imaging mode from the cartoon. Also they've said they weren't doing procgen for this game because in Mercs it created this situation where you couldn't necessarily tweak a map for a campaign mission because it'd gently caress up the procgen generation.